Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,733 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? (48602 Views)

Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Marry Other ' Christians '? / Mike Bamiloye Has This For Nigerian Artistes Who Left Church For Secular Music / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Believe In Miracles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by gozzlin: 6:19pm On Apr 09, 2017
Drhauwal:
Some JW's do listen to secular songs while some do not. it is a matter of personal preference. we listen to our own "gospel" songs and do not listen to other churches gospel songs because the contents of those songs do contains doctrines that we Jehovah's witnesses don't believe in such as Christmas, trinity, hellfire, immortality of the soul, birthday, calling Jesus God among others.
Even a Christian Jehovah witness who listen to secular songs also have to be selective as some songs may encourage or "hype" immorality, violence or spiritism. take for example I deleted a song by olamide ft lil Kesh ft phyno on my phone some couple of years back. the "ladi" song.
for more about JW check www.jw.org buh OP those pictures at the fore of this post shows how degraded your brains are. don't try tanish the image of Jehovah's witnesses, try and be reasonable unless you wanna incure God's wrath! Peace!

Abeg, are you the one in blue in your profile?
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by GreyLaw(m): 6:21pm On Apr 09, 2017
GoodinPurple:
Exactly, this has got me wondering.. I have some JW friends and this is what I discovered about them
1)They love football (it is normal)
2)They only read their version of the Bible called "Holy Scripture"
3) They don't pray
4) They don't play or listen to gospel music
Note: These are what I have observed about a lot of them...

You are right jare!

People calling them Christians, do not know what they are saying. Anybody who denies the deity of Christ, is definitely not a Christian.

As for the JW guys, they avoid core gospel songs because those songs reverence Christ as God, which ia against their belief.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Comfyski(f): 6:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
Get your facts right before you just post...its one thing to need attention,its another to pose as a liar... We witnesses do not listen to gospel music because they promote belief in Trinity, Jesus is God, All humans going to heaven,cross,blood of Jesus and all..Such teachings are contrary to our bible based knowledge...
We also do listen to secular music but take note, not all secular music,most of which promote immorality, vulgar words,violence and indecency...
Secular music that are simple, speaking of life realities,love...so on...

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by colossus91(m): 6:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
what else can i say than op.....

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Comfyski(f): 6:35pm On Apr 09, 2017
GoodinPurple:
Exactly, this has got me wondering.. I have some JW friends and this is what I discovered about them
1)They love football (it is normal)
2)They only read their version of the Bible called "Holy Scripture"
3) They don't pray
4) They don't play or listen to gospel music
Note: These are what I have observed about a lot of them...

It is useless to give response to such talks by many...I implore JWs to ignore and not respond... If u need information www.Jw.org
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by GoodinPurple: 6:38pm On Apr 09, 2017
Olamilekan08:

You noticed they don't pray.
So u expect them to inform u say dey wan pray abi? Or make dem dey pray make pple 2 streets next to dem dey hear.
Come on my guy!
No... Imagine a normal morning devotion going on, such that some Muslims partake in but you find the JW members gisting on like nothing was going on in their presence...
They don't believe/partake in any Christian gathering(other than theirs) and they would never say Amen to your prayer..THAT IS FACT

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by yoged(m): 6:43pm On Apr 09, 2017
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by derhyma: 6:51pm On Apr 09, 2017
very correct..... I can attest to that coz I have them as course mates.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Biodunkuye(f): 6:52pm On Apr 09, 2017
Op that's a very good question.yes I have noticed it too,even during my sec school days,most of the jw pple I knew don't sing praise and worship songs sang during assembly, instead they keep quiet.they rather listen secular music than gospel music.i think it's becos most of the gospel musicians are not members of jw,so they don't see them as thier member, the songs are not ordained by the jw body and they have thier own songs sang in Church.i just think it's not a part of Jehovah's witness doctrines.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by chichichilolo1(f): 6:54pm On Apr 09, 2017
joe4real12:

They are Christians, they preach more than any other church that I wonder how their work is financed.
it is financed by voluntary contributions grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Maximus85(m): 6:56pm On Apr 09, 2017
joe4real12:
Wrong information. The ones I know don't even watch the type of video you post here.

FTC dedicated to the winner of BBN

Thank you Jare.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Maximus85(m): 6:57pm On Apr 09, 2017
todaynewsreview:
For sometime now, I've observed that many a time, you see JW members playing all sorts of secular music but frown at gospel tracks. This has raised series of questions as to the rationale behind such actions. I plead with oga the moderators to draw the attention of all in the known to give their opinions.

You see? You think say people go join you criticize JW, see as shame catch you.
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by KillerBeauty(f): 6:57pm On Apr 09, 2017
Almost everybody disagree with the op yet it's on front page undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by olash: 7:00pm On Apr 09, 2017
Aburi001:
Lord have mercy on these churches

Only tithers receive prayers against devourers in our churches #Why?

Many times you go to church and the Pastor command the minority Tithers to stand, he showers them with prayers and command devourers to stay clear of these ones standing only.

I wonder, so the majority sitting down can go to hell with devourers, they can face devourer head on, hell can unleash it's​ content in the lives of those none tithers right.

I mean devourers should jump and pass-by the tithers and descend heavily on the none tithers until they begin to bring their tithes to church.

Is this the reason for their Hypocritical prayers? To make us feel bad and condemned to devourers? ...

I honestly don't understand such hypocrisy in a place they call the house of God, a good Shepard won't be so comfortable with this divisive prayers. Even Jesus prayed for those who crucified him.

Thank God for grace shaa, God is not a man otherwise attacks by devours would have consumed 90% of genuine Christians today.

Our blessings are not tied to the pastors mouth, we are already blessed and protected from Creation by the creator himself.

They tagged most of the modern technology "Worldly thing" but they still watch TV, enter vehicles, make calls with Mobile Phones etc.

God have mercy on us all......

I stop paying tithe long time ago. Why will they call tithers to come out and pray for them.
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by chichichilolo1(f): 7:06pm On Apr 09, 2017
harizonal123:
Very good observation but they have their own version of gospel songs in the form of hymns. They hardly play them at home instead all the latest jamboree songs
Do you live in the homes of all jw's to know that they do not play their songs?Get your facts right before you say them.
Mind you our songs are not in the form of hymns alone.
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by azaino: 7:10pm On Apr 09, 2017
the Op is right, they only play secular song.
my neighbor is a staunch member, but he can dance skelewu and flavour with his wife.
in fact during their wedding the wife sang Celine Dion., I was at the wedding

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by emmaitive(m): 7:12pm On Apr 09, 2017
yourexcellency:
and what's wrong in listening to secular music? abegi say something else!
everytin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Maximus85(m): 7:13pm On Apr 09, 2017
jarkbauer:
One day JWs will sue Nairaland

Why? They won't.
These haters like the op will only make people know the JWs the more.
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by chichichilolo1(f): 7:15pm On Apr 09, 2017
GoodinPurple:

No... Imagine a normal morning devotion going on, such that some Muslims partake in but you find the JW members gisting on like nothing was going on in their presence...
They don't believe/partake in any Christian gathering(other than theirs) and they would never say Amen to your prayer..THAT IS FACT
we do not say AMEN to prayers that start with 'in Jesus name ' and end same way because that is not the proper way to pray.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Suregod(f): 7:15pm On Apr 09, 2017
100% truth. Got couple of JW as friends,they will rather listen to circular music than listening to any Gospel music. The same goes the preaching,they don't listen to any other preaching except theirs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by ssogundele(m): 7:19pm On Apr 09, 2017
BabaCommander:
It's because they are not Christians.
Oh! What a conclusion! So, please, can you tell the audience what makes a CHRISTAIN?
Is it the celebration of birthdays, Easther, Christmas? Or the payment of Tith or pigrimage to Jerusalem? Jesus was not a CHRISTAIN but a zealous preacher of God's Kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Suregod(f): 7:20pm On Apr 09, 2017
The op is 100% correct! They don't! My cousins r JW,and I also have couple of JW friends too. They don't,they rather listen to their own hymes

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by chichichilolo1(f): 7:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
Biodunkuye:
Op that's a very good question.yes I have noticed it too,even during my sec school days,most of the jw pple I knew don't sing praise and worship songs sang during assembly, instead they keep quiet.they rather listen secular music than gospel music.i think it's becos most of the gospel musicians are not members of jw,so they don't see them as thier member, the songs are not ordained by the jw body and they have thier own songs sang in Church.i just think it's not a part of Jehovah's witness doctrines.
Though a lot of jw's have outlined the reasons for our not playing gospel music I will want to remphasize them;
They promote doctrines that are not bible based such doctrines include;Trinity,immortality of the soul,spiritism,the notion that all good people will go to heaven.
We do not listen to them because they(singers ) ain't Jw after all we listen to selected secular songs that do not promote immorality,materialism,vulgar language and debased lyrics

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by exclusivejayce(m): 7:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
@op. congrat. it seems you wanted this in the fp. Now you got it.
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by rottennaija(m): 7:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
Dgunnerz:
Never seen a JW playing secular song..

Is the OP correct?
Read the post again
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 09, 2017
bizie:
I am a JW and the op is right. We play secular songs but not all. The ones with debasing lyrics or immoral contents are not allowed. But not all songs are bad. Not all secular songs have bad and immoral lyrics. I play lots of Adele, Brymo, 2face and others. Am very selective.

But I don't play any single so called Christian music cos I've found that most of them have misleading lines. How can you start a song by praising God and then next line you r worshiping Jesus. For example a church here in sango was singing a song. It said.... Adonai I worship you, son of God you r so good. Now how can I sing that. They make it look like Jesus and God are equal. Jehovah is Adonai and Jesus is his son. Two different persons with a long lasting relationship. Well that's for another day.

So bottom line is that church songs carry doctrines not found in the Bible. Like trinity, helfire , everyone going to heaven and the likes. They aren't in the Bible. So I can't sing what's not true.

I hope yall got it.
I am JW too I listen to very selected secular music and some gospel music too, even the gospel music I select it like when you are selecting beans. once they start balancing the equation of God and Jesus. Delete straight.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by unitysheart(m): 7:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
ItalianWine:
Proudly JW

I see you, my dear sister.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by geunik(m): 7:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Apr 09, 2017
I have seen some JWs playing secular musics, that doesn't mean it's all of them.
Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by Sanmight85(m): 7:38pm On Apr 09, 2017
There is no beating about the bush. How does the OP know or say what he really doesn't know? Hasty generalization is a big problem of the OP. Here is no medium to answer your questions. If you are serious about an answer, kindly please visit jw.org or ask directly one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Are we before your 'court'? This topic has allowed a lot of uncultured individuals to be spilling venom out of nothing all because of their hatred for JW. Never still forget that like I said, we are no part of the world. Jesus said' If you are part of the world, the world would be fond of you. But now that you are no part of the world, the world hates you.' So continue the language of hatred. It's nothing new. But you can't stop us for this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth as a witness to all the nations and then the end will COME( Matthew 24:14).

1 Like

Re: Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? by rottennaija(m): 7:39pm On Apr 09, 2017
Primebuilders:
I am a JW. My criteria for music selection is this: I avoid musics that promote immorality,spiritism, materialism, idolatry, drunkenness and go against Bible teachings. I enjoy music

Do you play Godwin?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Priestess Ogbanje Repents, Renounces Her Juju In Enugu (Photos) / Adeboye Sacks Popular Pastor For Remarrying 10 Years After Divorce / 400 Jehovah's Witnesses In Angola Pass Out Due To Toxic Gas At A Convention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.