Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:50 PM

What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? (7746 Views)

Vital Tools You Should Have In Your Car / 10 Things That Can Make Your Car Look More Beautiful / 11 Things FRSC Wants Vehicle Owners To Carry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 9:59am On Apr 11, 2017
erico2k2:

How often do you change ur brake pads?

The earliest was 3 months. It is generally not specific.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by connkg(m): 11:00am On Apr 11, 2017
Due to frequent losses, I plan to get a Toolbox set. I keep losing combination spanners 10, 12, 13 and 14. The 8-spanner I gave out for someone's radio (or window) repair was replaced with something substandard-looking.
Na where to "arrange" spare 20k na him remain.
I have found my Allen key-6 most helpful for plug cleaning.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by In4matic: 11:01am On Apr 11, 2017
Interesting Topic. Op I want to ask you. What if i get these tools in my trunk and dont know how to use them take for instance changing the sepentine belt. I once tried changing a regular belt and could'nt get the tension right. The result was the High squeeling noise which didnt stop till a mechanic tightened it properly.
Getting tools is one thing, knowing what to do is another
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 11:28am On Apr 11, 2017
In4matic:
Interesting Topic. Op I want to ask you. What if i get these tools in my trunk and dont know how to use them take for instance changing the sepentine belt. I once tried changing a regular belt and could'nt get the tension right. The result was the High squeeling noise which didnt stop till a mechanic tightened it properly.
Getting tools is one thing, knowing what to do is another

If you got google and tools, atleast you can do something as against someone who knows everything but no tools. Imagine this, even a mechanic with out tools is useless.

You could travel 30km to find a mechanic to fix ur broken down car. Without a certain tool, he may be helpless and needs to go back to his workshop for more tools. These tools are the average tool set a mechanic will got out for an emergency assistance.

Assume a mechanic shows up without one and you have it.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 12:36pm On Apr 11, 2017
adanny01:

The earliest was 3 months. It is generally not specific.
Hmm buy original brake pads you won't change them for 3 years.I changed mine 2014 still on and I checked it.that thing they call brake pads is just charcoal evil people killing Nigerians since 18AD
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 1:47pm On Apr 11, 2017
erico2k2:

Hmm buy original brake pads you won't change them for 3 years.I changed mine 2014 still on and I checked it.that thing they call brake pads is just charcoal evil people killing Nigerians since 18AD

Buy from where?

Amazon? Better.

From local parts dealers, I aint ready to waste money. They give you guarantee but speak grammer thereafter.

Besides, brake pads durability depends on factors. Highway consumes more pads than city especially with our bad roads. Rotor condition. Auto consumes more than manual trans. Driving style too defers. I do highways alot and i dont go slow. Its possible to use same brake pads brand like me but mine can last 3 months and yours a year. My dad for example is a hard and frequent braker. Some cars like 2008 Accord and known for excessive brake pad wear.

My rear brake liner got worn out one time. Buying a new one was a disaster. My rear wheels always get locked and brake too responsive for comfort. I was lucky to find a used one removed from an accidented car which is now 2 years and going.

I know for sure the brake pads am using are not standard, i quess the standard is out of reach. The particle dust it leaves on my wheel every trip is enough to know that fact. Believe me that that is not even the worst, the worst was one that could not take me 800km, it cracked up and broke away from the metal holding it.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 2:42pm On Apr 11, 2017
adanny01:

Buy from where?

Amazon? Better.

From local parts dealers, I aint ready to waste money. They give you guarantee but speak grammer thereafter.

Besides, brake pads durability depends on factors. Highway consumes more pads than city especially with our bad roads. Rotor condition. Auto consumes more than manual trans. Driving style too defers. I do highways alot and i dont go slow. Its possible to use same brake pads brand like me but mine can last 3 months and yours a year. My dad for example is a hard and frequent braker. Some cars like 2008 Accord and known for excessive brake pad wear.

My rear brake liner got worn out one time. Buying a new one was a disaster. My rear wheels always get locked and brake too responsive for comfort. I was lucky to find a used one removed from an accidented car which is now 2 years and going.

I know for sure the brake pads am using are not standard, i quess the standard is out of reach. The particle dust it leaves on my wheel every trip is enough to know that fact. Believe me that that is not even the worst, the worst was one that could not take me 800km, it cracked up and broke away from the metal holding it.

Yeah Amazon would be better or Ebay . My car in question is a jeep liberty auto used daily by the Mrs . Brake pad bought from Europarts uk.brake pads ate less than £60 for the lot . Which is like N28k but in the long run it is better.Your rotor should be of good condition as well .
Wow brake pads broke off its hold . See what I mean , substandard product . .
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 2:47pm On Apr 11, 2017
erico2k2:

Yeah Amazon would be better or Ebay . My car in question is a jeep liberty auto used daily by the Mrs . Brake pad bought from Europarts uk.brake pads ate less than £60 for the lot . Which is like N28k but in the long run it is better.Your rotor should be of good condition as well .
Wow brake pads broke off its hold . See what I mean , substandard product . .

After about just 600km. So disappointing
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 3:40pm On Apr 11, 2017
adanny01:

I feel U bro.just ask any of your friends or family who live abroad to buy you some when they are coming for holiday
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by ironheart(m): 1:39pm On Aug 31, 2017
adanny01:
If you drive a car 5 years and older, you may have the need to prepare for the inevitable breakdown. Your car should be out of warranty and for this Naija, it will cost an arm and both legs to have your car towed to the workshop. Some problems are worth 2 mins troubleshoot with right tools, why wait for an hour or more for an experienced mechanic or tow truck. The mechanic you may find around may do more harm than good. Besides, a break down on the highway is dangerous these days so you might wanna get back to speed before kidnappers come calling.

For me, driving a 14 year old car, i have some tools to help myself. The picture below shows how prepared i am. These tools are cheap for one to can start buying with N100.

Some are essential while others not so essential.

The list includes
1. Flat wrench 8 - 22 (i suggest buy flat/ring 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 22)
2. Flat/ring spanners 14 and 17 (i lost 10 and 12)
3. Combination of 8, 9, 10 pipe wrench
4. 8 and 10 pipe wrench
5. Socket wrench handle and long extension with 10, 12, 14, 16, 16 long (for spark plug) and 17 socket (i need short extension, you may have to know the size of plugs in your car usually, 14, 16, 17 and 19)
6. Pliers
7. Utility knife
8. Small philips (start) and flat head screwdrivers (i lost the flat)
9. Changeable philips and flat tester screwdriver
10. Screwdriver with 6 changeable flat and phillips heads
11. Vernier caliper
12. Feeler gauge
13. electrical insulating tape
14. old spark plugs (lost 1)
15. old serpentine belt
16. electrical wire strands (make sure you have spares of fuses although there are instances the wire will be necessary)
17. flash light
18. DC charger/usb
19. Cork opener and knife (this has been very useful)
20. 3.5m measuring tape
21. The bag i store most of them

Lets see what tools you got in your.
Hi where did you get the feeler guage from? i need one urgently
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Conner44: 7:28pm On Aug 31, 2017
erico2k2:
I got full tool box in my boot, I got all sockets , tox and hex.I take no chances

If my kazeem catch you and your ride with these tools ehn... grin half go miss and him go tell you say no be him take am
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 7:30pm On Aug 31, 2017
Conner44:

If my kazeem catch you and your ride with these tools ehn... grin half go miss and him go tell you say no be him take am
I always stay by my car in 9ja, no way will I leave my car un attended
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 7:08pm On Sep 01, 2017
ironheart:

Hi where did you get the feeler guage from? i need one urgently

I ordered it from hawkers of tools on wheel barrow. I got jisting with one and asked him to get it for me and he did.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by ironheart(m): 7:57pm On Sep 01, 2017
adanny01:

I ordered it from hawkers of tools on wheel barrow. I got jisting with one and asked him to get it for me and he did.
bros, it's difficult getting it here in Abuja.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by adanny01(m): 8:45pm On Sep 01, 2017
ironheart:
bros, it's difficult getting it here in Abuja.

Ask those ppl who push tools on wheel barrow where they buy their stuff. If you go there you will get or make order.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by ironheart(m): 1:55am On Sep 02, 2017
adanny01:

Ask those ppl who push tools on wheel barrow where they buy their stuff. If you go there you will get or make order.
ok sir
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Piyke: 10:55am On Nov 07, 2017
adanny01:

Quite sad. Better not to experiment on brakes in my opinion; could mean life or death.
I actually got an original asimco that has lasted a good while should be over 2 years. No noise too, although I used brake grease during installation.
The other thing that eats pads is faulty calipers angry
I do have a replacement ceramic pad set from Amazon awaiting when this goes out.

1 Like

Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 9:58pm On Nov 07, 2017
Piyke:

Quite sad. Better not to experiment on brakes in my opinion; could mean life or death.
I actually got an original asimco that has lasted a good while should be over 2 years. No noise too, although I used brake grease during installation.
The order thing that eats pads is faulty calipers angry
I do have a replacement ceramic pad set from Amazon awaiting when this goes out.
This is very important, brake grease, many people do not use it.and get sticky calipers. due to dry out sliding pins
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by istephen(m): 9:56am On Nov 08, 2017
I always bring torx bits/drivers/sockets, jumper cables, electrical/duct tape and spare fuses.
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Kingsdave(m): 7:19am On Aug 14, 2019
erico2k2:

What's d name of the original brake pad and how much
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 12:23pm On Aug 14, 2019
Kingsdave:

What's d name of the original brake pad and how much
Bro there are loads but for fast answer you got to search on line, Im aware of on line platforms in Nigeria ie jumia, brambo is a good brand
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 14, 2019
I just carry my AA card ............ grin
Re: What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? by erico2k2(m): 1:44pm On Aug 14, 2019
Lexusgs:
I just carry my AA card ............ grin
for 9ja baa? ahaha where no network to even call them ahah

(1) (2) (Reply)

General Motors To Introduce At Least 23 Electric Vehicles By 2023 / Top 12 Reasons Why Your Car Won’t Start / Ford Working On Pothole Warning System For Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.