Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand (66597 Views)

The Ema Dance Of The Urhobo People (photos) / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / The Olorogun Title Of The Urhobo/isoko People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Alexis11: 2:13am On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:

Our "Okos" are in Ikale, Ilaje, Ilesa, Oro and Ijebu. These "Okos" are unnamed because they are not incorporated into the Yoruba polity. They are still strangers. The villages are built around each other, are made up of an average of 10-20 houses and are headed by someone who answers to the Baale of the owners of the farm land they have settled on. The "Okos" are much in number and many are whittling away because they are returning home again. The few that are remaining are there because of other business concerns. They will eventually return.

God forbids that Urhobos become like Igbos to claim another man's land or identity!!!

But Egbon, you dull sha o. This simple thing I've been explaining, you just can't get!

Ignore him.

I know one of these settlements in Oyere (Ife North LG area of Osun State).

1 Like

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by fratermathy(m): 2:17am On Apr 12, 2017
bigfrancis21:
So many misconceptions going on in this thread.

1) from my own research Warri seems to originally been attributed to the Jekris or Itshekiris. That is the original landmass known as Warri or 'iwerre'. However, it has growwn today to a larger city incorporating towns/lands from neighboring tribes.

2) Urhobo-Isoko cannot be the 5 largest tribe in Nigeria. Frathermarthy lumped together urhobo and isoko as one to bump up the population to 5th place but these two groups see themselves differently. Efiks/Ibibios and all Ijaw groups would have to come first in terms of numbers, and maybe some middle-belt groups before Urhobo-Isoko lumped together. Separating both, Urhobo alone may stand at number 10, no more than no 20 in terms of population.

3) Frathermarthy, isn't it interesting that you're trying desperately to claim Isokos (who see themselves differently) as Urhobos but few days ago paraded a thread on NL on how Aniomas are different from Igbo? Like the English say, you can't eat your cake and have it. Isokos declared their independence from Urhobo several decades back. Unfortunately, that's what it is. On the eastern side, Ika and Ukwuani, although Igbo-speaking, may identify as a separate ethnic group. They have their rights to self-determination.

I wonder how I missed the boldened. Kindly refer me to the post exactly where I "paraded" "Aniomas" as different from "Igbo"! Because to the best of my memory, I only duplicated what I saw on Proudly Anioma facebook page (https://web.facebook.com/profile.php?id=153854601415505&ref=br_rs). Even the page does not have "Igbo" affixed to it as some of you claimed, claims which I ignored because I was enjoying the Eastern Igbo drama on the page. The introduction to that article was informed by Anioma Wikipedia page, where I sourced the meaning of ANIOMA.

I would really love to see where I hinted that they were not Igbo clearly because last I recall, I have always been a strangely staunch advocate that these groups are Igbos. Is this one of your other lies, crafted to massage your Igbocentric frail ego?

I await!

1 Like

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by fratermathy(m): 2:19am On Apr 12, 2017
Alexis11:

Ignore him.

Baby124 and Bigfrancis21: Oh Hear!!!!

@Alexis11: Thank you for clarifying this. It's interesting that Yoruba-Urhobo relationships have been mutually beneficial since time immemorial. I do hope it remains that way even if our people end up leaving these settlements.
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by fratermathy(m): 2:26am On Apr 12, 2017
@Baby124: Add this to your archive as well,

A. IFE DISTRICT CHURCH COUNCIL

1. St. Philip’s Church, Ayetoro, Ile-Ife
2. St. John’s Church Amukegun
3. St. Peter’s Church Okoro-Isaiah
4. St, Michael’s Church Aba-Iwo
5. St. Stephen’s Church Owena-Lakoro
6. St. John’s Church Salami
7. All Saints’ Church Abiri
8. St. James’s Church Apamu
9. St, Matthew’s Church Okoro-Elusoji
10. St. Mattthew’s Church Bode
11. Anglican Church, Atobatele
12. St. Thomas’s Church Dewibe
13. St. Paul’s Church Iyanfoworogi
14. Anglican Church Elekolo
15. St. Peter’s Church Baba-Eko
16. St. Matthias’s Church Ondo Road, Ife
17. St. Philip’s Urhobo/Isoko Church, Ayetoro
18. St. Michael’s Church Ikeketu
19. St. Saviour’s Church Isoya
http://ifeooye..com.ng/2013/03/history-of-ife-anglican-diocese-and.html

Would there be an Urhobo-Isoko church without Urhobo-Isoko settlements?
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by tuzeal(m): 3:01am On Apr 12, 2017
bigfrancis21:

They are not the same as Urhobo, so stop tagging Urhobo-Isoko as if they are one. They are not one. Stick to your Urhobo affairs strictly.

Odonyo moderator with e mouth like odion wey go shit for church. Who send you to speak for Isoko people? Dem tell you say we no get mouth? Abeg e swerve go look your Igboland. Dey there for speak for us as if we nor get mouth to talk. Na so all of una be. Just recently, una de claim Igbide-Ame as una land for here. Go ask wetin Igbide boys use Ukwuani boys eyes take see. Land thieves! We nor send you message, you hear?

@Op: Oza me, don't mind the guy's divide tactics. I am an Isoko from Olomoro on my father's side and Enwhe on my mother's side. Most of my goons are Urhobos and I use Urhobo to communicate steady. See me and Opharhe (on nairaland too) are in OAU together and we are both proud Urhobo-Isoko. When we start for here, Yoruba boys de give us chance. Anywhere I go, based on normal observation and say I be Isoko, na so dem de clear road for me. Area sef de throway regards like water. Isoko nor get wahala with Urhobo, anybody wey de suffer e sef for our matter get e own plan.

Thank you for carrying us along. The mistakes of our fathers shall be corrected by this generation.

@Onosprince: Mavor oza? You de see wetin this yeye mod de talk?

Isoko Wadhe?
Ijooooooo!!!!

Isoko Wadoooo!!!!

Urhobo and Isoko unity is non-negotiable!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 3:28am On Apr 12, 2017
daxlasaint:

Am sorry to burst your bubble but you so effing ignorant...

There is a village called orugbo between itokin and agbowa in lagos state... Its an urhobo village. Itokin itself is over 80 percent urhobos... Between itokin and epe there are over 3 other such villages i know of personally...

Coming down to ogun state... Just after itele there is an urhobo village that is so culturally attuned to the extent the church signboard read st peters urhobo and isoko anglican church...

Ondo state, i cant even begin to count, these are places i have been to and worked at so before you call people thieves you should check that you not about to make a fool of yourself...

Post Edited.... let the issue slide.
Urhobo Waado!

1 Like

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 4:25am On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:

Thank you!

He actively refuses to get the point I've been trying to make.

I've never claimed that Urhobos have lands in Yorubaland or that Urhobos are indigenous to those places. All I've been saying is that Urhobos have settlements there, settlements that were gotten from mutual understanding with the aborigines. These settlements were conceived to be temporary and not permanent and many of them are already returning home.

He just wants to spark a controversy and probably start an e-fight, which I have not given him the audience to do. Hence, he has resigned to being indignant on his blind claims which are in no way in tandem with my assertions.

He wanted to drag Yoruba into this matter and I am really happy that all the Yorubas snubbed him. He has no point to make. Some of them, including the Igbo mods that were here earlier on, are looking for minorities they will use in managing their frail egos.

Urhobo-Isokos were the third largest ethnic group in the South-West from the early 1900s up until probably 1980. Right now, I don't know what position they would be, probably still number 3 or 4... who knows.

Infact of the 618,742 Urhobos enumerated in 1963, 102,000 or 16.5% of them were in the Western region.

I think the way you framed your initial statement, of Urhobos owning Villages in the SW was what put baby 124 off. Because it sounds like a claim to land of sorts.
Even I was initially put off, but didn't want to react brashly mostly due to the fact that while growing up then in the west I knew many urhobos living around with us. In fact many had Yoruba names, but we knew they were urhobos ~ who didn't know the Udis, Odoguns and the Ejebas back then.

So I knew there were elements of truth to your statement as such, I kept the cool. Until the argument went further, and you explained that they got permission from the land owners and baales to settle down in farms and work, so The Urhobos had settlements on farms , and not villages, and that is exactly why they are called Okos which is similar to what the Egbiras have in parts of Ekiti and Osun state, farming homesteads.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by bigfrancis21: 5:39am On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:

I wonder how I missed the boldened. Kindly refer me to the post exactly where I "paraded" "Aniomas" as different from "Igbo"! Because to the best of my memory, I only duplicated what I saw on Proudly Anioma facebook page (https://web.facebook.com/profile.php?id=153854601415505&ref=br_rs). Even the page does not have "Igbo" affixed to it as some of you claimed, claims which I ignored because I was enjoying the Eastern Igbo drama on the page. The introduction to that article was informed by Anioma Wikipedia page, where I sourced the meaning of ANIOMA.

I would really love to see where I hinted that they were not Igbo clearly because last I recall, I have always been a strangely staunch advocate that these groups are Igbos. Is this one of your other lies, crafted to massed your Igbocentric frail ego?

I await!

Lol. Mr. M. Oxxxxo, what do you think people are, kids?

This is the group you got that article from, and its name in full is Proudly Anioma Proudly Igbo. It is a closed group of which you are a member.

https://www./546043812177312/

You think you can deceive us by digging out another Proudly Anioma group on facebook as the source of that your article? Again, the JOKE is on YOU.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Tiffbuxas: 5:46am On Apr 12, 2017
NNAMDICE:

ABEG MAKE I HEAR WORD,NA WHO NO KNOW UNA YOU GO DEY TELL DAT ONE
lol abegg oo... Is it ur vegetable.... grin grin... No let anybody decieve u an average warri Boi is cool buh won't hesitate to change am for you if he senses anything other than cool 4rm u... So no beef just vegetables
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by bigfrancis21: 6:24am On Apr 12, 2017
fratermathy:
@Baby124: Add this to your archive as well,

http://ifeooye..com.ng/2013/03/history-of-ife-anglican-diocese-and.html

Would there be an Urhobo-Isoko church without Urhobo-Isoko settlements?

fratermathy:

Baby124 and Bigfrancis21: Oh Hear!!!!

@Alexis11: Thank you for clarifying this. It's interesting that Yoruba-Urhobo relationships have been mutually beneficial since time immemorial. I do hope it remains that way even if our people end up leaving these settlements.

fratermathy:

Thank you!

He actively refuses to get the point I've been trying to make.

I've never claimed that Urhobos have lands in Yorubaland or that Urhobos are indigenous to those places. All I've been saying is that Urhobos have settlements there, settlements that were gotten from mutual understanding with the aborigines. These settlements were conceived to be temporary and not permanent and many of them are already returning home.

He just wants to spark a controversy and probably start an e-fight, which I have not given him the audience to do. Hence, he has resigned to being indignant on his blind claims which are in no way in tandem with my assertions.

He wanted to drag Yoruba into this matter and I am really happy that all the Yorubas snubbed him. He has no point to make. Some of them, including the Igbo mods that were here earlier on, are looking for minorities they will use in managing their frail egos.

Alexis11:

Ignore him.

Mr. M. Oxxxxo, you have created much ado about nothing derailing this very thread of yours if only you had used the right word or rather been more specific. Whatever reaction you think you are receiving right now, is reaction from earlier actions of yours especially on the front page. Village as we know it is NOT the same as settlement. Had you used or said specifically 'settlement' in your original write-up, then this back and forth would not have gotten to this extent. She even admitted severally that yes there are Urhobo migrants living in SW, BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE VILLAGES, in the traditional definition of village in Nigeria as we know it.

Here is your very first claim about 'Urhobo Villages' in the SW:

The Urhobo-Isoko People
The Urhobo-Isoko is an amalgam of two related ethnic groups, Urhobo and Isoko, with Urhobo being the larger and Isoko being an offshoot of Eastern Urhobo. They are constitutionally regarded as different ethnic groups but they are one people in everything else, hence my usage of the compounded term, Urhobo-Isoko. The Urhobo-Isoko people are the 5th largest ethnic group in Nigeria (2006 census). They number over 5 million both at home and in the diaspora. They are the 2nd largest ethnic group in the South-South and Niger Delta regions, coming only after their ethnic neighbour, the Ijaws. Urhobos occupy 12 LGAs in Delta State (8 in Delta Central and 4 in Delta South), 1 in Bayelsa State (Ofoni, among others, in Sagbama LGA) and 1 in Edo State (Oghara settlements in Ikpoba Okha LGA). Urhobo-Isokos also have faraway village settlements in Ikale, Ilaje (Ondo State) Oro (Kwara State), and other areas in the South West of Nigeria. The Isoko people, who are ethnically Urhobo and politically Isokos, occupy 2 LGAs in Delta South (Isoko North and South) and have an estimated population of 1 million at home and in the diaspora. Isoko and Urhobo are regarded as one people and the Isoko can understand Urhobo clearly. In the colonial period, the Isoko and Urhobo were both regarded as the Sobo people. However, the Urhobo Progress Union, under Chief Mukoro Mowoe, fought hard to change this name to Urhobo. Isokos were a part of Eastern Urhobo until 1959 when the Western Regional House created an Isoko division from Eastern Urhobo. That marked the beginning of a separate Isoko identity.

You went on to provide the definition of village, which I found laughable and extraneous, to 'buttress' your point that 'Urhobos have villages in SW'. It is this very impression that baby124 has been trying to correct you on since the last 24 hours, and you kept on defending 'urhobo villages' being in SW with these posts of yours:

fratermathy:

I am the op. There are no false stories here. You are not the first Yoruba on this thread. So don't act all defensive. Urhobos know their territories and Yorubas know theirs. Just the way Ugbodu is a Yoruba enclave in Aniocha, so also do Urhobos have enclaves in Ondo, Lagos and Kwara, however small and insignificant they may be. We never claimed to be original settlers or indigenes. We have farming settlements/villages there.

Don't bother quoting me again because I can see that you want to cause squabbles.

fratermathy:

You keep showing your ignorance. Here's the definition of a "village":

www.dictionary.com/browse/village

So check that definition and place my statement in appropriate context.

I even doubt that you are a Yoruba because Yorubas are not known to be as stupid and bigoted as you are, at least the ones I have met so far.

She admitted severally, below being one of her posts, that there arw Urhobos in the SW but they do not have villages.
baby124:

No Urhobo or Isoko village exists in Lagos. Not to talk of Kwara. You are clearly delusional. Yes they live in Lagos and Kwara like any other Nigerians.

baby124:

Read OP's post. He says Urhobo and Isoko's have villages in SW. That is what I am talking about. He even mentions Lagos. This is how false stories become a reality in future generations and we have strangers fighting for something that does not exist.

This is what she pointed out and stuck to all along. All the 'pieces of evidence' you have been throwing around all refer to these places Urhobo live in in the SW as settlements or quarters and NOT village as you initially claimed, which renders your very own write-up invalid and inconsequential. Anyone reading this will see that it is you who simply failed to grasp the point she was trying to make but rather you kept arguing back and forth. In your mindset, anybody who does not agree with you is 'full of hatred' or a 'bigot' or is 'molesting you'. I'm sorry to tell you this, I may not know you in real life but YOU seem to be somebody who has a problem with admitting fault and taking correction. This unnecessary debacle from you would not have gotten reached this extent had you, first, USED the right terms/words in your write-up, second, LISTENED to counter-arguments and accepted your mistake, and, third, CORRECTED the mistakes you made. Instead, what is see is your futile baby attempts so 'save face' or salvage what is left of your damaged reputation.

In the end, you just killed your own thread and write up with evidence that counters your 'claim of Urhobo villages in the SW' as Urhobo settlements instead. Urhobos, by virtue of being Nigerian citizens free to travel and reside in any part of the country, are settlers in the SW, just as there are Igbo, Hausa, Efik-Ibibio settlers etc. in the same SW, and in the SE also. In Owerri, the Hausas occupy an area known as 'Ama Awusa' (Hausa settlement in English) located along Douglas road just off old eke ukwu market and this place has been exclusively settled by Hausas since about the 1920s or 1930s, long before Nigeria's independence, however, this is NOT an Hausa village because the land does not belong to them but rather an Hausa settlement because the land on which they occupy was leased to them.

Finally, you the way you go about the presence of Urhobo settlers outside the SW like it is a big deal or this phenomenon is exclusive to them alone, when other tribes have their settlements outside their ancestral boundaries and yet do not make noise about it. I could take a huge guess that majority of these Urhobos in these 'okos' have been largely assimilated into Yoruba culture, bear Yoruba names, speak Yoruba and barely speak Urhobo. They are probably only Urhobo by last name. If I remember correctly you opened a thread in the past about this and how it annoyed you to see Urhobo descendants getting assimilated into Yoruba culture.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by bigfrancis21: 6:38am On Apr 12, 2017
Alexis11:
undecided

Guy, have you heard of computer village before?

Does it mean that computers are indigenous to that area?

What is your own definition of a village

Your way of reasoning makes me sad

cry

Computer village in that sense cannot be compared to village in the traditional sense that we know it.
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 6:47am On Apr 12, 2017
baby124:

No villages exist in SW that start with Oko. Oko is farm in Yoruba so you are being michevious. You know that so you are being tricky. Even then those names Okoefe don't exist in Yorubaland. Maybe in your head. Hahahahaha. Okoefe ko, Okofrathermathy ni.
I'd like to believe you're dumb or you're trying to act like one. He wasn't referring to 'Oko' (re-re), which means 'farm'. And yes, there are Urhobo settlements in some parts of Ondo state, particularly the Ilaje areas of Ondo state. And these settlements are called 'okos' as prefixes. And just as someone mentioned Itokin being settlements for Urhobos and Isokos, may I also submit to you that here are Urhobo settlements in Agbowa.

I have been there several times and I spent some part of my childhood there. The settlement, however comprises of Urhobos and Isokos, just as that of Itokin. One of my uncles still lives there to this day. Again, there is an Urhobo-Isoko-Ijaw settlement in Majidun, where you have the popular God's Grace Church.

For the Urhobo-Isokos dwelling in Itokin and Agbowa in particular, they coexist with the Yorubas perfectly, even though the area leans towards Epe, the outskirt of Ikorodu.

That of Majidun is strictly for the three ethnic groups I earlier mentioned. The Ijaws, whose main means of livelyhood around the Majidun area are primarily responsible for fleeing Yorubas due to incessant battles with security forces over oil bunkering.

Bigfrancis21, I believe you strongly need to let this sink. This is no land grabbing tendencies, rather places I have been to and lived for some time. Baby124, except you are not from or in Lagos, you wouldn't know the places I mentioned. Have someone investigate and come back to call me a liar.

1 Like

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 7:00am On Apr 12, 2017
Bigfrancis21, while I don't intend to quote your entire post up there, I'll be quick to point out Fratermathy's use of two words, 'village settlement'. Interestingly, it was emboldened, but you chose to quote the former rather than the latter. Let's some basics, yeah?

What is a village?

A village is a clustered human settlement or community, larger than a hamlet but smaller than a town, with a population ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand. Though often located in rural areas, the term urban village is also applied to certain urban neighbourhoods. Villages are normally permanent, with fixed dwellings; however, transient villages can occur.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village

What then is a settlement?
In geography, statistics and archaeology, a settlement, locality or populated place is a community in which people live. A settlement can range in size from a small number of dwellings grouped together to the largest of cities with surrounding urbanized areas. Settlements may include hamlets, villages, towns and cities.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_settlement

As nouns the difference between village and settlement is that village is a rural habitation of size between a hamlet and a town while settlement is the state of being settled.

I honestly believe the word 'settlement' has been the reason for the back and forth all night. Unfortunately, the word 'settlement' encompasses a hamlet, a village, a town or a city. Question is, are the Urhobos living in Itokin more than a hundred? Very well, yes! The Urhobo-Isokos living in Agbowa? Of course, yes. And that of Majidun? God's Grace on Sundays records over 250 members weekly. And guess what? It is an Urhobo speaking church.

1 Like

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by ewa26: 7:12am On Apr 12, 2017
check out my ewa agoyin and abacha ok
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 8:32am On Apr 12, 2017
Sanchez01:

I'd like to believe you're dumb or you're trying to act like one. He wasn't referring to 'Oko' (re-re), which means 'farm'. And yes, there are Urhobo settlements in some parts of Ondo state, particularly the Ilaje areas of Ondo state. And these settlements are called 'okos' as prefixes. And just as someone mentioned Itokin being settlements for Urhobos and Isokos, may I also submit to you that here are Urhobo settlements in Agbowa.

I have been there several times and I spent some part of my childhood there. The settlement, however comprises of Urhobos and Isokos, just as that of Itokin. One of my uncles still lives there to this day. Again, there is an Urhobo-Isoko-Ijaw settlement in Majidun, where you have the popular God's Grace Church.

For the Urhobo-Isokos dwelling in Itokin and Agbowa in particular, they coexist with the Yorubas perfectly, even though the area leans towards Epe, the outskirt of Ikorodu.

That of Majidun is strictly for the three ethnic groups I earlier mentioned. The Ijaws, whose main means of livelyhood around the Majidun area are primarily responsible for fleeing Yorubas due to incessant battles with security forces over oil bunkering.

Bigfrancis21, I believe you strongly need to let this sink. This is no land grabbing tendencies, rather places I have been to and lived for some time. Baby124, except you are not from or in Lagos, you wouldn't know the places I mentioned. Have someone investigate and come back to call me a liar.

Funny how you are describing them as Urhobo settlements in the SW now, but Matt was calling them Villages Urhobos have in the South West.
Are Agbowa and Itokin Urhobo villages or places they have settled in large numbers in Yoruba villages? Can I wake up one day and say Yorubas have villages in Kano, kaduna and Niger states because they have some exclusive quarters there? Is FESTAC/Amuwo now an Igbo town within the Lagos conurbation?
There are even exclusive Yoruba settlements in the F.C.T with TITLES.

Ijaw Oil bunkering and land grabbing tendencies in Majidun or elsewhere is known to everybody. they move and settle all over places with oil pipelines and oilfields, later claiming it to be theirs. From Akwa Ibom to Lagos, the story is the same all over. If Cotonou was part of Nigeria, ijaws would have surely migrated there given its coastal location with lagoons creeks and inlets, and would have claimed to be ancestral to the place since time immemorial.

6 Likes

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 9:02am On Apr 12, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Funny how you are describing them as Urhobo settlements in the SW now, but Matt was calling them Villages Urhobos have in the South West.
Are Agbowa and Itokin Urhobo villages or places they have settled in large numbers in Yoruba villages? Can I wake up one day and say Yorubas have villages in Kano, kaduna and Niger states because they have some exclusive quarters there? Is FESTAC/Amuwo now an Igbo town within the Lagos conurbation?
There are even exclusive Yoruba settlements in the F.C.T with TITLES.

Ijaw Oil bunkering in Majidun is known to everybody. they move and settle all over places with oil pipelines and oilfields, later claiming it to be theirs. From Akwa Ibom to Lagos, the story is the same all over. If Cotonou was part of Nigeria, ijaws would have surely migrated there given its coastal location with lagoons creeks and inlets, and would have claimed to be ancestral to the place since time immemorial.
I believe Matt used the word 'Village Settlement'. Fall back to his post to confirm this. And the bone of contention here is whether the Urhobos are settled in the SW. Mischief makers took him up on the word 'village', leaving the settlement out.

You cannot have a village outside of your territory, save parts of your people are immigrants. And even at that, they can never be allowed to exclusively live and act like they would do in their territory.

Concerning the Ijaws, I can authoritatively tell you that most of them migrated to those areas, particularly areas in Lagos, namely Majidun, Ikorodu, Ajegunle (Ikorodu) and the riverine part of Mile 12, in the early 90s. I spent my formative years at the latter. However, the Ijaws co-exist with the Ilajes in Mile 12 to this day, so, laying claims over people's lands and territories makes no sense at all.

2 Likes

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 9:11am On Apr 12, 2017
Sanchez01:

I believe Matt used the word 'Village Settlement'. Fall back to his post to confirm this. And the bone of contention here is whether the Urhobos are settled in the SW. Mischief makers took him up on the word 'village', leaving the settlement out.

You cannot have a village outside of your territory, save parts of your people are immigrants. And even at that, they can never be allowed to exclusively live and act like they would do in their territory.

Yes, Urhobos are settled in the SW, they have been settled in the SW for a long long time, I am not arguing that point. They even had farm settlements in Ekiti.... Matt himself probably didn't even know that. They settled all over places with a thriving palm oil industry. So, mostly the forest belt of yorubaland (Ijebu, Ikale, Ilaje, Ekiti, Osun).. but other places too.
So I have no problems with Urhobos AT ALL. Until you also came along and wanted to start making it sound like Agbowa and Itokin were Urhobo villages. Those are Yoruba villages where Urhobos have concentrated to settle in the Epe LGA acis. I think its better we chose our words carefully for posterity sake.

Sanchez01:
Concerning the Ijaws, I can authoritatively tell you that most of them migrated to those areas, particularly areas in Lagos, namely Majidun, Ikorodu, Ajegunle (Ikorodu) and the riverine part of Mile 12, in the early 90s. I spent my formative years at the latter. However, the Ijaws co-exist with the Ilajes in Mile 12 to this day, so, laying claims over people's lands and territories makes no sense at all.

Well, that is exactly what they seem to be all about.

We, the Ijaw (Ijo, Izon) inhabiting the Niger Delta and coastal regions of Nigeria, stretching from Apoi/Arogbo in Lagos State in the West to Ibeno on the banks of the Qua Iboe River in Akwa Ibom State in the East of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in territories herein stated as follows:

The territories of the indigenous Ijaw communities from the Apoi and Arogbo clans in Lagos State
http://www.ijawfoundation.org/resolution_001_08.htm

Someone better tell the Ijaws that the only indigenous ethnic groups in Lagos are the Yorubas of (Ijebu, Awori, Yewa and Egba) extractions, and the Fons (of Gun/Egun extraction). People who migrated to Lagos in the 90s are now writing on their websites that they are Indigenous to Lagos.... The thing tire me. Yorubas have been living in places like Kontangora since like 1900, yet we dont write rubbish online.

4 Likes

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 9:22am On Apr 12, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Well, that is exactly what they seem to be all about.

Someone better tell the Ijaws that the only indigenous ethnic groups in Lagos are the Yorubas of (Ijebu, Awori, Yewa and Egba) extractions, and the Fons (of Gun/Egun extraction). People who migrated to Lagos in the 90s are now writing on their websites that they are Indigenous to Lagos.... The thing tire me. Yorubas have been living in places like Kontangora since like 1900, yet we dont write rubbish online.

Lol. I believe this is nothing to feel threatened about. The other day, the Ijaws claimed they are not part of the Oduduwa Republic and asked that they be removed. If that be the case, then it is evident and clear that their claims over coastlines and coastal areas in Lagos is nothing but laughable.

Ijaws are a but aggressive in reality when it comes to co-existing and settling in a place. Regardless, I believe you strongly know why they claim to these places. There is no such thing as indigenous Ijaw territories in Lagos. Never have and never been.
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by jared007: 9:25am On Apr 12, 2017
Hi fratermathy, greetings to u. I ve been reading ur articles both on this forum and Facebook concerning the projection, defence, love and unity of the urhobos. For this I say well done.
Do not let anyone bully u into accepting less or make the urhobos feel inferior among other ethnic groups.
Now concerning urhobos robust population in nigeria, I once read on newspaper when the baale of ajegunle said urhobos where the second ethnic group in nigeria to settle and own properties in ajegunle.
I also read somewhere or heard which I can't remember the source that urhobos where the second ethnic group to settle in Jos after the indigenous plateau peeps.
There's no part of Northern nigeria u won't find a robust urhobo population but people are not aware becoz urhobos lack unity. They don't form communities like hausa and yoruba and they prefer to speak the language of their host.
A bini friend of mine once lamented that he got to a village in benin which was made up of urhobos. He lamented becoz he said urhobos refused to grab and claim lands like ijaw and itsekiri that's why urhobos are relegated to only delta state.
I served in ilaje during my nysc. The urhobos form the second ethnic group in ilaje. They are more than igbos there. They even know how to speak urhobo more than deltans yet many of them ve yoruba names(the same applies to okitipupa).
Lastly my dad's security guard from adamawa was surprised when I took him round urhobo villages becoz of the large population. He said northern nigeria has landed space but sparse population. I said this becoz of those crazy guys that think kanuris, gbagyis and nupes are more populated than urhobos. How many kanuris can u come across in southern nigeria? But u can come across many urhobos in Northern nigeria.
Cheers!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 9:27am On Apr 12, 2017
Sanchez01:

Lol. I believe this is nothing to feel threatened about. The other day, the Ijaws claimed they are not part of the Oduduwa Republic and asked that they be removed. If that be the case, then it is evident and clear that their claims over coastlines and coastal areas in Lagos is nothing but laughable.

Ijaws are a but aggressive in reality when it comes to co-existing and settling in a place. Regardless, I believe you strongly know why they claim to these places. There is no such thing as indigenous Ijaw territories in Lagos. Never have and never been.

A bit aggressive you say? or very aggressive?
It seems the reality of Ijaw expansionism hasn't hit you. You can let them have your urhobo lands in Delta, but they are not having a single Inch of the SW.
Why were the Ijaws asking to be removed from Oduduwa republic? WHo included them in the first place?

1 Like

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Afam4eva(m): 9:31am On Apr 12, 2017
I think the issue of Urhobos having settlements in the SW is misunderstood and could be because the term "Village" was used. It's just like the way Fulani people have settlements all over Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 9:49am On Apr 12, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

A bit aggressive you say? or very aggressive?
It seems the reality of Ijaw expansionism hasn't hit you. You can let them have your urhobo lands in Delta, but they are not having a single Inch of the SW.
Why were the Ijaws asking to be removed from Oduduwa republic? WHo included them in the first place?
Lol. I would not want to commit a fallacy by generalizing but most Ijaw folks I lived exhibit violent tendencies over everything. And yes, you are right, they love the idea of widening their area, either through discourse or fights. My childhood mental pictures are filled with floating dead bodies, mostly that of an Ijaw folk or one caused by them. The bodies would flow from the Agility river, down to Mile 12 and then towards Ikorodu. Sometimes, they kill security operatives and dump their bodies in the river just because they desire to go about their oil bunkering business.

About the Ijaws asking that they be removed, one of yours drew a map, under the Afenifere or something, while claiming that the areas included are part of the Oduduwa Republic.
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 9:52am On Apr 12, 2017
Sanchez01:

Lol. I would not want to commit a fallacy by generalizing but most Ijaw folks I lived exhibit violent tendencies over everything. And yes, you are right, they love the idea of widening their area, either through discourse or fights. My childhood mental pictures are filled with floating dead bodies, mostly that of an Ijaw folk or one caused by them. The bodies would flow from the Agility river, down to Mile 12 and then towards Ikorodu. Sometimes, they kill security operatives and dump their bodies in the river just because they desire to go about their oil bunkering business.

About the Ijaws asking that they be removed, one of yours drew a map, under the Afenifere or something, while claiming that the areas included are part of the Oduduwa Republic.

Even if someone drew a map, did they include any ancestral Ijaw lands n it?
It is no surprise that the Only SS states of Cross River and Akwa Ibom + Ondo that have little to insignifiant Ijaw populations are the only peaceful ones. Does Akwa Ibom even have large scale militancy?
Mind you, they are by far the largest producers of crude oil in Nigeria, dusting both rivers and Delta states.

2 Likes

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 9:59am On Apr 12, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Even if someone drew a map, did they include any ancestral Ijaw lands n it?
It is no surprise that the Only SS states of Cross River and Akwa Ibom + Ondo that have little to insignifiant Ijaw populations are the only peaceful ones. Does Akwa Ibom even have large scale militancy?
https://www.nairaland.com/3690614/not-part-oduduwa-republic-ijaws
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 10:00am On Apr 12, 2017
Sanchez01:

https://www.nairaland.com/3690614/not-part-oduduwa-republic-ijaws

I surely can't find any Yoruba claims to any ancestral Ijaw lands in the link.
All I see is the map of the Political Niger Delta.
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by onosprince(m): 10:07am On Apr 12, 2017
tuzeal:

Odonyo moderator with e mouth like odion wey go shit for church. Who send you to speak for Isoko people? Dem tell you say we no get mouth? Abeg e swerve go look your Igboland. Dey there for speak for us as if we nor get mouth to talk. Na so all of una be. Just recently, una de claim Igbide-Ame as una land for here. Go ask wetin Igbide boys use Ukwuani boys eyes take see. Land thieves! We nor send you message, you hear?

@Op: Oza me, don't mind the guy's divide tactics. I am an Isoko from Olomoro on my father's side and Enwhe on my mother's side. Most of my goons are Urhobos and I use Urhobo to communicate steady. See me and Opharhe (on nairaland too) are in OAU together and we are both proud Urhobo-Isoko. When we start for here, Yoruba boys de give us chance. Anywhere I go, based on normal observation and say I be Isoko, na so dem de clear road for me. Area sef de throway regards like water. Isoko nor get wahala with Urhobo, anybody wey de suffer e sef for our matter get e own plan.

Thank you for carrying us along. The mistakes of our fathers shall be corrected by this generation.

@Onosprince: Mavor oza? You de see wetin this yeye mod de talk?

Isoko Wadhe?
Ijooooooo!!!!

Isoko Wadoooo!!!!

Urhobo and Isoko unity is non-negotiable!

I dey see am.... I say make i lock up.

2 Likes

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 10:15am On Apr 12, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

I surely can't find any Yoruba claims to any ancestral Ijaw lands in the link.
All I see is the map of the Political Niger Delta.

What you read is a rebuttal to a clown who proposed an Oduduwa map, claiming some parts of the Delta. The clown in question is a so-called elder statesman called Chief Ayo Banjo and his proposed map below.
https://www.naij.com/1091809-restructure-yoruba-break-chief-ayo-adebanjo.html

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 10:26am On Apr 12, 2017
Sanchez01:

What you read is a rebuttal to a clown who proposed an Oduduwa map, claiming some parts of the Delta. The clown in question is a so-called elder statesman called Chief Ayo Banjo and his proposed map below.
https://www.naij.com/1091809-restructure-yoruba-break-chief-ayo-adebanjo.html

Is Warri the Ijaw land in the map?
Infact anything with an Ijaw element should be Avoided. Those people can not inhabit a peaceful country anywhere. Not even in an Ijaw republic to themselves.

1 Like

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 10:36am On Apr 12, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Is Warri the Ijaw land in the map?
Infact anything with an Ijaw element should be Avoided. Those people can not inhabit a peaceful country anywhere. Not even in an Ijaw republic to themselves.
Warri is a part of the Niger Delta region, and Ijaws are a people in the Niger Delta region. You get the message now, yeah?
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by YonkijiSappo: 10:40am On Apr 12, 2017
Sanchez01:

Warri is a part of the Niger Delta region, and Ijaws are a people in the Niger Delta region. You get the message now, yeah?

but THAT doesn't really make sense though.
They clearly said remove IJAW LANDS, so except they are being specific as to where exactly, the message remains blurry and nondirectional. If they want to lay claim to the Warri Metropolis, let them come out to say so.
Not as if I would even want Warri in Oduduwa sef, but the Ijaws are only trying to be "sly", or are Ijaws now the mouthpiece for the whole Niger Delta region?

2 Likes

Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by Sanchez01: 11:08am On Apr 12, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

but THAT doesn't really make sense though.
They clearly said remove IJAW LANDS, so except they are being specific as to where exactly, the message remains blurry and nondirectional. If they want to lay claim to the Warri Metropolis, let them come out to say so.
Not as if I would even want Warri in Oduduwa sef, but the Ijaws are only trying to be "sly", or are Ijaws now the mouthpiece for the whole Niger Delta region?

Excerpts...
“While we do not oppose anybody seeking to break away from Nigeria as such is our unalienable rights, we wish to question the rationale behind annexing other people’s territories to form your republic?

The map therein captured the various kingdoms in Delta State, Warri precisely and part of Bayelsa State.

We believe that this is a misapplication of fact as Niger Delta region was never and can never be part of the purported Oduduwa Republic.

We will not allow anybody seeking to secede from Nigeria to use the Niger Delta as the battle ground to prosecute his intention.

We have clear and undisputed boundaries with our neighbours in the country and we are able and up to the task to assert our rights when the need arises.

Niger Deltans will resist with all vigour, any move to use the region as the launch pad by the Yorubas or any other region to secure their aims.

Our people have made our points known to the Nigerian government through the declarations of the various ethnic nationalities in the region.

Niger Deltans pledge their allegiance to the Ogoni Bill of Right, the Kaiama Declaration, the Ikwerres, Isokos, Uhrobos, Itsekiris and all other Declarations by the various ethnic groups in the region.

We say no to the Yorubas’ forceful annihilation and annexation of the Niger Delta region,” the groups vowed.
http://tribuneonlineng.com/not-part-oduduwa-republic-ijaws-reply-adebanjo/

The Ijaws are always sly. I hope it makes sense now?
Re: Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand by fratermathy(m): 11:46am On Apr 12, 2017
bigfrancis21:

what do you think people are, kids?

This is the group you got that article from, and its name in full is Proudly Anioma Proudly Igbo. It is a closed group of which you are a member.

https://www./546043812177312/

You think you can deceive us by digging out another Proudly Anioma group on facebook as the source of that your article? Again, the JOKE is on YOU.

I don't know why you are trying so hard to blackmail me online for your selfish Igboish interests.

This is a faceless forum and you just broke one of the laws with regards to privacy.

What a moderator!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Igbinedion Gifts Tiger To Oba Of Benin, Ewuare & It Roars At People (Video,Pics) / Photos Of Lugard Hall In Kaduna That Is 106 Year Old / Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.