Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,005 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

Beauty Bias: Workplace Discrimination - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Beauty Bias: Workplace Discrimination (820 Views)

How To Manage Depression At Workplace / Beauty Bias: Workplace Discrimination / Workplace And Personal Email: The Risk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beauty Bias: Workplace Discrimination by legalifyNg: 9:12pm On Apr 10, 2017
(Five Minutes Read)

Beauty Bias is a believe that attractive individuals,either male or female, are more favourably disposed in the workplace and employment environment than less attractive persons.

Funny right? But real!

Beauty Bias, most often than not is an emotional and unconscious decision, prefering an individual for a job simply because of his physical appearance or look.
This explains why a naturally handsome guy may be preferred over you, who is not totally ugly[i](to put it in a civilized manner)[/i]

Beauty is an emotion; very few are immune against it.

Logically, in the semantics of life, man is unfair to man and beautiful people wins! No matter how much we dodge it, on a deep reflection, our individual concept of who is attractive or not influences the way we treat each other at workplace.

Is it Legal?
Focusing on our Nigerian Grundnorm, Section 42 of the 1999 Constitution provides for freedom from discrimination. But the drafters of the constitution did not envisage that the world will turn out this way and so beauty or attractiveness was not expressly included as a ground of discrimination.
So the question turns on the jurisprudence of Section 42 which provides that...

Read the rest: Visit www.legalify.ng/blog

Thanks again for reading through. Please drop feedbacks and comments, or contact us with suggestions for topics you’d like to see written about — using our handle.

Twitter: @legalifyNg
Facebook: LegalifNg

Re: Beauty Bias: Workplace Discrimination by asalimpo(m): 3:16am On Apr 12, 2017
Though not explicitly stated, you and i and every nigerian know it's an entrenched HIRING policy in 9jas corporate world.
You only need to compare how the average seller looks in the food market (completely unbiased as per looks - because they can't enforce it and dont care. The woman selling water leaf, the one selling palm oil, the one selling wire sponge, the man hawking garlic. The one selling chicken,with the withered hand! (would he be employed in corporate 9ja with that!))
and the work place gal! - There's biase!!. Just like there's biased in the movie industry. The banks and corporate 9ja is towing the same path. Making all those good looking (admittedly) people they hire to be big-headed and stinking. I remember one silly stuck up b*tch that was acting as if she was having the cramps at zenith bank one time. I couldnt just figure out why she was so - just - catty.

You could say beauty is subjective, but an emotion ,like joy anger rage boredom?! No,sir.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Promote Your Business Using A Spectacular Design / Features Of Joomla That Make It An Ideal CMS Platform / Solution To Nigerian Bloggers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.