Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice (4839 Views)

Caption This Straight Face Of The New Chief Of Defence Intelligence. Photos / Meet The New Chief-Of-Staff, Hamid Ibrahim-Alli / DSS Appoints Mani As New Chief Security Officer For President-elect, Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by adconline(m): 11:46am On Dec 30, 2009
'Illegal' chief judge for Nigeria
Nigeria's new chief justice is being sworn in in the absence of President Umaru Yar'Adua, who is in hospital in Saudi Arabia with a heart condition.

A lawyer has told the BBC that the appointment of Aloysius Katsina-Alu is illegal, as only the president has the power to take his oath of office.

Instead, the ceremony is being presided over by outgoing chief justice Idris Legbo Kutigi.

There have been several calls for Mr Yar'Adua to resign over his ill-health.

Lawyer Bamidele Aturu told the BBC that the constitution makes it clear that the chief justice can only be sworn in by the president.

"This means the legality of the appointment is in question and people can go to court and challenge it," he said.

Story from BBC NEWS:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8434600.stm
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by ElRazur: 11:48am On Dec 30, 2009
I am not a legal eagle, but it can only be illegal IF there are other alternatives and it wasn't used. The lack of a proper transition of powers in case of the president becoming incapable for whatever reason is what we are reaping right now. smiley
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by lyfe(m): 12:19pm On Dec 30, 2009
Breaking News:::Nigerian President missing!!!, Will be the next Nigerian news hitting CNN headlines.
This is not Illegal because nobody has the slightest clue about His(president's) location, He is nowhere to be found to preside the handing over of the Thief Justice of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Nobody: 12:37pm On Dec 30, 2009
lyfe:

Breaking News:::Nigerian President missing!!!, Will be the next Nigerian news hitting CNN headlines.
This is not Illegal because nobody has the slightest clue about His(president's) location, He is nowhere to be found to preside the handing over of the Thief Justice of Nigeria.

LOL grin
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by snowdrops(m): 1:00pm On Dec 30, 2009
Too many illegalities in the system. Its got to the extent that illegal starts appearing as legal.
Confusion everywhere.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by vigasimple(m): 1:18pm On Dec 30, 2009
Yes o,

It wil be breaking news soon, President Yar A'liar of Nigeria is missing : CNN, BBC AP REUTERS

AGF Idonkia ; that is not true

Newsreporters: where is the President?

AGF Idonkia; In Saudi Arabia hospital somewhere

Newsreporters; why don't you ask him to spek and comment on current issues including Terrorism by his National and the fact that the news said that he was missing

AGF Idonkia; I have the power to say what he will like or might want to say, between me and Turai we know exactly wht the President want to say , and we say and act it

Newsreporter; we understand he is dead and you are just covering up, what have you got to say to that?

AGF idonkia ; Gd forbid, he my be asleep but not daeth until doctor omes up and say that, but we wouldn't allow them to say it by some archaic Law in Nigerian constitution

Newsrepoter; You sound like you know everything mr Idonkia?

AGF Idonkia; yes i do, I know Nigeria even before I was born, I prt of born to rule people.

Newsreporter; Thank you and have a nice day

AGF idonkia: and you too, make sure you publish good things in your papers and not that rubbish we have ben talking about th last few minutes, because the Presidnt will reward you both in cash and National award whenever he make it back and choose what next to do.

PRESIDENT YAR A'DULL IS MISSING AND SHOULD BE PRESUMED DEAD UNTIL HE CAN ADDRESS THE NATION WITHIN THE NEXT 48 HOURS
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 30, 2009
vigasimple:

Yes o,

It wil be breaking news soon, President Yar A'liar of Nigeria is missing : CNN, BBC AP REUTERS

AGF Idonkia ; that is not true

AGF Idonkia; In Saudi Arabia hospital somewhere

Newsreporters; why don't you ask him to spek and comment on current issues including Terrorism by his National and the fact that the news said that he was missing

AGF Idonkia; I have the power to say what he will like or might want to say, between me and Turai we know exactly wht the President want to say , and we say and act it

Newsreporter; we understand he is dead and you are just covering up, what have you got to say to that?

AGF idonkia ; Gd forbid, he my be asleep but not daeth until doctor omes up and say that, but we wouldn't allow them to say it by some archaic Law in Nigerian constitution

AGF Idonkia; yes i do, I know Nigeria even before I was born, I prt of born to rule people.

AGF idonkia: and you too, make sure you publish good things in your papers and not that rubbish we have ben talking about th last few minutes, because the Presidnt will reward you both in cash and National award whenever he make it back and choose what next to do.

PRESIDENT YAR A'DULL IS MISSING AND SHOULD BE PRESUMED DEAD UNTIL HE CAN ADDRESS THE NATION WITHIN THE NEXT 48 HOURS

sounds exactly like what that AGF would say.sad,really!
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by lyfe(m): 3:23pm On Dec 30, 2009

AGF Idonkia; In Saudi Arabia market doing shopping.

Newsreporters; why don't you ask him to speak and comment on current issues including Terrorism by one Umar. and the fact that the news said that he was missing.

Newsreporter; We understand he is dead and you are just covering up, what have you got to say to that?

AGF idonkia ; God forbid, He is on some sedatives and having a deep sleep

Newsrepoter; Hen Sir what about the 6000Mega Watts promised.

AGF Idonkia;Hun, yes You know I told You that He was shopping in the market. He has bought A powerful 6000Mega watt Generator which is highly efficient, environmentally friendly and consumes less fuel. You can see Yar Adua administration has been great so far as we deliver what we promise, bla bla bla. Let me also add that the generating set has Wifi and remote control which shall be in Aso rock.

Newsrepoter; But December is almost over.

AGF Idonkia; My friend just wait till December 31st Okay. The logistics and installation has been taken care of.

AGF idonkia: and you too, make sure you publish good things in your papers and not that rubbish we have been talking about the last few minutes, have this brown envelope.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by soloqy: 3:31pm On Dec 30, 2009
That name sounds fictitious. Aloysious-Katsina- Alu ? .

Generally, Igbos and southerners bare the name Aloysious. Is he from the east or South? Did they just add the appendage to sound typical? smiley
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by otokx(m): 3:44pm On Dec 30, 2009
Let him the aggrieved lawyer go to court to declare the chief judge illegal.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by harakiri(m): 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2009
Breaking news! ! !

Yar Adua has been kidnapped by boko haram.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by haronky7: 4:20pm On Dec 30, 2009
Illegal Chief Justice = Illegal Justice System = No law at all.

Then scap everything gabadaya, except the President speaks directly to the nation about this additional national calamity
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by naijatoday: 4:25pm On Dec 30, 2009
Does the constitution state only the president can swear in the chief justice or the president swearing in the chief justice has been a ceremonial thing.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 30, 2009
soloqy:

Generally, Igbos and southerners bare the name Aloysious. Is he from the east or South? Did they just add the appendage to sound typical? smiley
Why do you want to know where is from ?
Think he's from Benue state though.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Mbeki: 5:29pm On Dec 30, 2009
The national assembly actually consented to the president request to appoint the Tiv (Benue State) Judge,
you can check out the proceedings from this source
http://www.placng.org/svpdec16.pdf
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Fimmy(m): 5:44pm On Dec 30, 2009
Its illegat because officially Mr UMAR YAR'DUA is still the president of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by otawa: 5:55pm On Dec 30, 2009
Yaradu himself is illegal.

He was selected by Mr Obasanjo.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by DoubleN(m): 6:15pm On Dec 30, 2009
otawa:

Yaradu himself is illegal.

He was selected by Mr Obasanjo.
Lol! grin grin. True yarns sha. All that is happening is what you get when you have a selected president instead of an elected one.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:49pm On Dec 30, 2009
I thought by now (after all these years) we won't be surprised by all these seemingly out-of-this-world lunacy that routinely occurs in this concept called Nigeria. from education, health, power, religion, politics etc, Nigeria is full of dog poo. we need to start acting and stop with the intellectual social gist and flush the dog poo already
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by OAM4J: 7:11pm On Dec 30, 2009
soloqy:

He is a thief Tiv from Benue state, same tribe and state with Minister of injustice Aondoka

Demo-Crazy: Government of the Illegals by the Illegals for the Illegals. Illegal country, with illegal constitution being rulled by illegal people.

Absolutely Rubbish!!!
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by OAM4J: 7:16pm On Dec 30, 2009
He was scheduled to be sworn in tomorrow - Thursday, but I had a rumor, some people were about to go to court today-Wednesday and get a court injunction to stop the swearing in, hence the quick swearing in today.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Charlesook(m): 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2009
Nothing is illegal in 9ja so far as you come from the Northern part of 9ja.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by slimes(m): 7:42pm On Dec 30, 2009
haronky7:

Illegal Chief Justice = Illegal Justice System = No law at all.

Then scap everything gabadaya, except the President speaks directly to the nation about this additional national calamity
That is the only solution speaks like a yoruba man!
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Charlesook(m): 7:52pm On Dec 30, 2009
What do we expect from a SICK country with a SICK President surrounded with some SELECTED not ELECTED politicians, it must be equal to ILLEGALITIES .
Yar dua no gree resign, our AGF said he ( Yar'dua) can rule 4rm anywhere.  AGF will come and tell us that Yar'dua can still be ruling 4rm the grave.
God help 9ja.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by bigfoot79(m): 8:29pm On Dec 30, 2009
Constitutionally , once there is a vacancy in the office of the CJN the 'president' is mandated to swear in the most senior Justice of the Supreme Court. However this person can only spend 3 months in office.
The CONSTITUTION in S.230(1)-(5) spelt out how the president will choose a CJN based on recommendation of the National Judicial Council and subject to the ratification of the SENATE. In plain English: the NJC will recommend a lawyer to the president, if the pres likes him he forwards his name to the SENATE. If they approve, PRESIDENT ceremonialy swears him in. Deductively, if the senate sees nothing wrong in the National Judicial Council's choice, then the president really have little to say although that little may mean everything.
Whooops! Who say i no know constitutional Law, and that b3stard of a lecturer gave me 3 pscheew
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by bandely(m): 8:30pm On Dec 30, 2009
God help us!
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Beaf: 8:49pm On Dec 30, 2009
[size=14pt]Hurray!! We have two Chief Justices until tomorrow!!![/size]

No country has ever done this before! Wonderful! No president and two Chief Justices! Wow!
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by otokx(m): 8:52pm On Dec 30, 2009
Nigeria is an illegal countraption so what do you expect?
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by location(m): 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2009
what i read in the 1999 Nigerian constitution in section 230 -231 is that "the president shall appoint the new chief justice of supreme court". but what i saw today is terific and amazing at the same time. , oh nigerians they really know how to twist things around cry cry cry cry cool grin
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Beaf: 9:16pm On Dec 30, 2009
. . .
Not all Nigerian lawyers agree, saying only the president has such authority. The head of the Nigerian Bar Association and other high-ranking lawyers did not attend the ceremony.

"It is not legal," said Femi Falana, a leading human rights lawyer who has launched legal action to try to force Yar'Adua to hand executive powers to Jonathan while he is away.

Falana said Yar'Adua had sent the name of the new chief justice to the Senate for confirmation before leaving for Saudi Arabia but that he should then have written a formal letter of appointment once that confirmation was given.
. . .

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKLDE5BT0M420091230?sp=true

Power hunger is going to cripple this country. embarassed
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by mamagee3(f): 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2009
Another criminal in office! angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

S/court Judgment: Politically Motivated, Has Little Judicial Content – Buhari / Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos / Of Second Niger Bridge, Facts And Lies(?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.