Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,315 members, 7,808,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money (12480 Views)

In Need Of Novels By Nigerian Authors / I Read In The Bathroom - Dami Ajayi, Author Of A Woman's Body Is A Country / Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by uzoexcel(m): 9:57am On Apr 18, 2017
BeenieB:

More like collect from u smiley
That's not fair...u said u had 2 deep freezer collections..
cry
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by BeenieB: 10:01am On Apr 18, 2017
uzoexcel:

That's not fair...u said u had 2 deep freezer collections..
cry

Yes, u aren't in Lagos
Besides I'm giving some out to a bookshop where u exchange books for just a paltry sum!
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by uzoexcel(m): 10:19am On Apr 18, 2017
BeenieB:

Yes, u aren't in Lagos
Besides I'm giving some out to a bookshop where u exchange books for just a paltry sum!
Ok, but keep back some.
Btw, why not build a library..a personal one
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by BeenieB: 1:56pm On Apr 18, 2017
uzoexcel:

Ok, but keep back some.
Btw, why not build a library..a personal one

Yea I know! I will, thanks
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Mambox: 6:20pm On Apr 18, 2017
Snow84:

Baba the baba! Do you have ebooks written by Thiongo?

I really wished there e-books of these African books. The AWS - African Writers Series is highly endangered. It's so bad most of the hard copies in circulation are even pirated.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Mambox: 6:26pm On Apr 18, 2017
happyheart:

Without bragging, I will say that I have read over 5000 novels since Jss1. It can even be more. I read at least a book a week. Sometimes as much as 3 books. I stay up nights to read novels. I read in the toilet and I read when eating. Terrible habit..lol but I am officially addicted to books.
I don't read love/romance books..
My latest book crush is Clive cussler but alas I have read all his books..
I have given so many books away,I remember I once had an agreement with a book seller to exchange 3 books for 1 new one. I went with 60 books and came back with 12 books...lol.
I don't read books online, I prefer hardback.
Anyone interested in having a couple of books can DM me. I will be in Lagos 1st or 2 nd week. Lagos residents only. Accra residents too. Anyone interested in getting free books, pls pm me.
I have made random friends cos I see them reading books.I can get down from a car/bus before my bus stop cos I saw a book stand.
Growing up ,mum used to beat me for reading novels too much!!! Lol.. I was always curled up reading. My bro was also addicted. I remember mum banging on the toilet door and screaming for whoever was in there to bring out that book..lol
I even took novels to church on Sunday and pretended I was reading the bible.
My first boyfriend bought me a mag and s novel..lol
I always create time to read a book.
I always buy my books.
Is there any ADDICTED bookie out there?

I like you already.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by happyheart(f): 8:02pm On Apr 18, 2017
merahki:

Hi....pass on the e-books..the joy gotten from hearing/feeling the leaves of a book turning.....dog-earing a book, turning it upside down on the bed while you go out for a bit? Can never be matched by e-reading
I say this cos I related 100 percent with your post on book loving, lol...well, apart from the fact that none of my siblings was same way then....I would also use textbooks to cover my novels in class....I was always best student though ....and I used to steal my father's novels (a constant battle of book wills, if you please)...I am careless, he was meticulous

I guess that gave me the "nerve" to dictate to you to keep reading hard copies cheesy
Cheers
Hehehe. I just love my paper back.. I just don't get the same feel when I read an e book.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by happyheart(f): 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2017
DesChyko:

Aldiko.
But I downloaded the books from a site I've been struggling to locate again.

I see you're a Clive Cussler fan.. Other than Dirk Pitt series, any other books?

Here's a view of some of them in my collection.
Cool collection.. I have read them all. I think you should read SAHARA ..its one of my Clive cusser favourite. All his books are great though. Clive cussler and dirk.Pitt are inseparable i'm afraid...lol.. He has a couple with dirk Pitt's kids and other people as well but dirk Pitt's books are the best.
Have a good evening.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by uzoexcel(m): 9:58pm On Apr 18, 2017
Lol...nice one...siblings r also addicted like me also...
Lol..that reading-in-the-toilet thingy,reading while eating and taking books to church and hiding it in the bulletin/bible cheesy
Good to see people in the same shoes like moi...

some people jst don't understand d feels of flipping over a hard interesting paperback..it's sad cry

happyheart:

Without bragging, I will say that I have read over 5000 novels since Jss1. It can even be more. I read at least a book a week. Sometimes as much as 3 books. I stay up nights to read novels. I read in the toilet and I read when eating. Terrible habit..lol but I am officially addicted to books.
I don't read love/romance books..
My latest book crush is Clive cussler but alas I have read all his books..
I have given so many books away,I remember I once had an agreement with a book seller to exchange 3 books for 1 new one. I went with 60 books and came back with 12 books...lol.
I don't read books online, I prefer hardback.
Anyone interested in having a couple of books can DM me. I will be in Lagos 1st or 2 nd week. Lagos residents only. Accra residents too. Anyone interested in getting free books, pls pm me.
I have made random friends cos I see them reading books.I can get down from a car/bus before my bus stop cos I saw a book stand.
Growing up ,mum used to beat me for reading novels too much!!! Lol.. I was always curled up reading. My bro was also addicted. I remember mum banging on the toilet door and screaming for whoever was in there to bring out that book..lol
I even took novels to church on Sunday and pretended I was reading the bible.
My first boyfriend bought me a mag and s novel..lol
I always create time to read a book.
I always buy my books.
Is there any ADDICTED bookie out there?

Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 05, 2017
goldwaters:

unfortunately I don't but I've been told one can get them to buy in Lagos. I intend to look for them when I can.
Ok
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Despirado121(m): 11:20am On May 06, 2017
Bahddo:

I need African writers ebook collections. I miss them. I only have a few of them amongst the myriads of ebooks I have. Preferably epub, though I can also read pdf.
Oya drop ur mail or pm me for african ebooks. I av 100+ of them, almost all in epub. Nd i cn also gt from ur myriads of ebook collection
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Bahddo(m): 11:42am On May 06, 2017
Despirado121:
Oya drop ur mail or pm me for african ebooks. I av 100+ of them, almost all in epub. Nd i cn also gt from ur myriads of ebook collection
OMG!

Thanks a million
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Despirado121(m): 12:29pm On May 06, 2017
grin
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Despirado121(m): 12:30pm On May 06, 2017
Bahddo:
OMG! Thanks a million
Done! U av a mail
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Bahddo(m): 1:46pm On May 06, 2017
Despirado121:

Done! U av a mail
thanks boss, you too much! Please check yours.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Despirado121(m): 2:31pm On May 06, 2017
Bahddo:
thanks boss, you too much! Please check yours.
grin. I've replied ur msg bro. Cheers!!
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 11:49am On May 15, 2017
Despirado121:

Hey Despirado121 na wah for u o....Geme african writer na.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Despirado121(m): 12:40pm On May 15, 2017
iamloyalty:

Hey Despirado121 na wah for u o....Geme african writer na
done @iamloyalty. Wen u get ur pacesetters, no 4get me too o wink
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 15, 2017
Despirado121:
done @iamloyalty. Wen u get ur pacesetters, no 4get me too o wink
Tanks i nor fit forget u.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Despirado121(m): 1:52pm On Jul 09, 2017
iamloyalty:

Tanks i nor fit forget u.
waoh!! Its being a while o. Nd aoz ur hunt 4 d pacesetters
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2017
Despirado121:
waoh!! Its being a while o. Nd aoz ur hunt 4 d pacesetters

Still trying o.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Despirado121(m): 3:13am On Jul 17, 2017
iamloyalty:

Still trying o.
grin grin. I wonder why those books are so scarce online
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 17, 2017
Despirado121:
grin grin. I wonder why those books are so scarce online

Even the hard copies cant even be found.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Despirado121(m): 11:18am On Jul 17, 2017
iamloyalty:

Even the hard copies cant even be found.
dats nigerian author for u
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by uzoexcel(m): 9:31pm On Jul 17, 2017
Bourne's identity!!!!
still ludlum's best.
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by Cadec007(m): 4:52pm On Mar 29, 2018
Ishilove:

Lol. I have no reason to lie. I finished John Grisham's The Odyssey File at age 9, and then on to James Hadley Chase and Agatha Christie! cheesy

pls can i get james hadley chase' books in pdf file?
Re: Number Of Novels I Read, And The Number Bought With My Money by adahmirage(f): 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2018
I have read over a thousand. I'm a confirmed bibliophile, my friends just call me a book addict. I got so many buying with my pocket money and others exchanging . Even though my Mum liked the habit, she always complained that mine was too much. I read with any light, lanterns, torchlight, even moonlight. I remember so many full moons where there will be power failure, my siblings and the neighbors kids will be telling moonlight stories while I'll be having my own fun lost in the world of an author. Or when I'm up at night and mumwill come into the room and I'll quickly hide the book under the pillow and pretend to be asleep when it's way past my bedtime. my mum still insists my poor sight today is due to too much reading with poor lights.

I started out with Lantern books, Pacesetters, Drumbeats, African Writers series, Ifeoma Okoye, Achebe, Ngugi), Chukuemeka Ike- Bottled Leopard, Maraima ba. who remembers those #100 books by unknown Ghanaian authors pirated copies though.�. I moved to Harlequin, Silhouette, Mills and Boon in secondary school. hiding Novels inside textbooks was my forte. My love for books made me teachers favourite from day one. I was automatically made library Prefect without dispute, even the school librarian saw me as her assistant before I got the post.

Jeffrey Archer( Kane and Abel, Who shall tell the president, Prisoner of birth), Francine Rivers( if you want Christian fiction) Nora Roberts etc. Now academic books, personal and spiritual growth novels are mainly what I read now.

If you stay in Benin, John Harris Library, University of Benin still has a reasonable collection of AWS books. there's also a bookstore close to Jodela gym opposite maingate that you can borrow books from; although you have to first pay the real amount of the book and when you return the book pay #50 and get your money back.

I still remember the rush of excitement I had when I first saw books on my wish list that I could not get in Lagos at the library in year one. I calmly waited till after exams, when other students were going home. I stayed back to read books at the library. One of my coursemate still calls me crazy because I entered the library, took a deep breath and told her 'I love the smell of books' I no longer indulge that much though school books and Project is all I think of now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Hustler (My Life As A Yahoo Boy) / Chimamanda Adichie Receives Duke University Honorary Degree In Durham (Photos) / Dark Coward Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.