Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,161 members, 7,780,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:10 AM

Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets (4550 Views)

6 Things NITEL Should Do To Get Nigerians To Buy Its SIM Cards Like Hot Cakes! / Cybercrime: Doing This On The Internet Can Send You To Prison – NCC / MTN Barred From Further Sale Of SIM Cards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 30, 2009
The Nigerian Communications Commission has said that beginning from March 1, 2010, the sale of Subscriber Identification Module cards will no longer be permitted on the streets.

Security concerns about mobile telephony have been on the increase following the use of the technology by kidnappers, militants and other criminals. The criminals often obtain SIM cards and use them to perpetrate their unlawful acts.

A statement issued by Head, Media and Public Relations, NCC, Mr. Reuben Muoka, in Abuja on Monday said all operators had been directed to put the necessary logistics in place to capture the details of any new subscriber from the first of March next year.

He also said that the regulatory agency would make an announcement on registration of existing subscribers. A committee consisting of stakeholders had earlier been set up to work out the modalities for achieving this.

Documents required for presentation before any new SIM card could be issued include e-passports, corporate/company or work place identity cards that have pension identification /tax numbers, student identity cards from recognised institutions, drivers license issued by the Federal Road Safety Corps or e-tax cards.

Muoka said, “With effect from March 1, 2010, all new SIM cards in Nigeria must be registered before activation.

“In exercise of its regulatory functions as provided for by the Nigerian Communications Act 2003, NCC wishes to inform the general public and all the relevant stakeholders that arrangements have been concluded for the commencement of registration of all SIM card holders in Nigeria.

“The registration process will include the capture of the photograph and biometrics of the subscriber. Proxy registration shall be restricted to the direct families of persons seeking registration.”

He added, “The Commission has directed all telecoms operating companies to put all necessary arrangements in place for the smooth take off of the exercise.

“In the case of existing SIM card holders, necessary processes and procedures are currently being put in place to guarantee a smooth registration exercise. The general public and all relevant stakeholders will be notified in due course about the timing and how to proceed.”

The registration requirements will make it more difficult for anybody to obtain SIM cards for frivolous reasons. It will also make it possible for any subscriber to be identified should a mobile phone be used for any nefarious activity.

At a meeting in Abuja in 2008, stakeholders had raised issues concerning registration requirements. One of the concerns they raised was the prevalence of fake documents in the country as well as the huge logistics registration would entail on operators.

New operators including Etisalat also reasoned that registration requirement could slow the take up of their services as street selling of SIM cards make it easier for any new subscriber to get on to a network.

Corporate Services Executive, MTN Nigeria, Mr. Akinwale Goodluck, said on Monday, that the directive would result in a slow down of of network expansion in terms of subscriber base and affect profitability.

He, however, said that while it could actually improve user experience, the NCC needed to properly manage the process.

However, everybody was agreed that registration was necessary because of the dangers of allowing anybody access into telecommunications networks without proper identification.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2009122914421993
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 30, 2009
A statement issued by Head, Media and Public Relations, NCC, Mr. Reuben Muoka, in Abuja on Monday said all operators had been directed to put the necessary logistics in place to capture the details of any new subscriber from the first of March next year.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 30, 2009
He also said that the regulatory agency would make an announcement on registration of existing subscribers. A committee consisting of stakeholders had earlier been set up to work out the modalities for achieving this.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by snowdrops(m): 2:35pm On Dec 30, 2009
@ Copist Kenzy4real and Locked

Are you one and the same?
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 30, 2009
snowdrops:

@ Copist Kenzy4real and Locked

Are you one and the same?

LOL.their usernames says it all, copyist(copy and 'paster') grin grin
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by kosovo(m): 3:21pm On Dec 30, 2009
Moved From Politics Section
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by jice(m): 3:57pm On Dec 30, 2009

This seam loft but unachievable.
Laws are not hard to make in Naija but none has been implemented except drivers’ seatbelt that have a relatively high level of compliance.
grin grin grin embarassed

Anyway the Police, kAi AND EVEN LASTMAN will have a plce to feed fat from the masses whose life standards have been on continuous downward stride since the inception of this democrazy adventure.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by greateliso(m): 4:28pm On Dec 30, 2009
easier said than done, well i pray they achieve it
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by DeepSoul(f): 4:33pm On Dec 30, 2009
@OP

So the sole purpose of banning sale of sims on the street is to minimise (Or eradicate?) the activities of criminals and kidnappers. How laughable!

What happens to over 69 million Nigerians who already have sim cards, in most cases more than one?

Why dont we start by conducting a proper census with correct information and all?

I dont mean to sound pessimistic but really! 69 million is already half the population. Isnt a bit too late?

Or is there another reason this is being implemented that they arent tellin us?

Is this another way for greedy NCC officials to chop more money?

Regarding security, Nigerian leaders had better focus more on giving us a functional police force and not the bunch of beggers that daily assault innocent people

Na 2day day dey break for dia eye?
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 4:56pm On Dec 30, 2009
In various countries around d world, registration details is relevant only if U want 2buy a postpaid line,
NCC want 2nw force operators 2apply it 2pre-paid lines as well.
In which country do network operators obtain registration details b4 selling U a pre-paid line? undecided
K.
March 1, 2010.
Im waiting.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 5:01pm On Dec 30, 2009
I can nw see dat Ndukwe has finally run out of vision.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by DisGuy: 5:24pm On Dec 30, 2009
^^^
What is really wrong is registring your sim card?
Why are people opposed to it?
If people are opposed to this scheme based on incompetent data protection then fine
apart from that i dont really see how this is such a big deal
Other countries that register only postpaid lines dont have the same problems as nigeria
and they have other efficient systems of dealing with crime
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mjay(m): 5:37pm On Dec 30, 2009
Dis Guy:

^^^
Other countries that register only postpaid lines dont have the same problems as nigeria
Dis Guy:

^^^
ohhh yes they doo. Me think its an exercise in futility,
naija has a way of getting by anything, esp someone with criminal intentions
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 5:39pm On Dec 30, 2009
I've already said that this will not work except they have put in place a machinery to capture the data of existing subscribers.
NCC should be more concerned with tariff ratification rather than this grandstanding.
This is what happens when you have a president that doesn't come to office and does not want anybody to perform his duties when he is unavailable.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 5:45pm On Dec 30, 2009
What is NCC's biz with crime prevention?
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by Sprumbaba: 5:53pm On Dec 30, 2009
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by DoubleN(m): 5:54pm On Dec 30, 2009
Medicine after death!
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 6:06pm On Dec 30, 2009
Dis Guy:

^^^
What is really wrong is registring your sim card?
Why are people opposed to it?
If people are opposed to this scheme based on incompetent data protection then fine
apart from that i dont really see how this is such a big deal

I ain't opposed to it.It's just that it's gonna be an exercise in futility in a country where people carry fake birth certificates and don't have valid identification details.They should focus on reducing tariff charges.
That right there increases consumer satisfaction, and not this lazy policy.
Dis Guy:

Weak attempt to excuse the NPF from their primary functions.NCC should focus on bringing the best out of the service providers.
puskin:

What is NCC's biz with crime prevention?
Danger!!!Wahala dey - NCC wants to help National Population Council and Department of National & Civic Registration do their job nah.Ask Ministry of Internal Affairs why i must pay to collect my National I.D whose photograph does not look anything like me.Ask them how my kid brother paid to get his misplaced birth certificate without an affidavit and a police report undecided undecided
Let's set our priorities right,jare
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by efekelvin(m): 6:19pm On Dec 30, 2009
Well this is an idea that should have been remembered b4 flagging GSM bis in naija.
New suscriber? I pity them. Because they are going to be so much stressed as usual to the point that they will prefer going for starcoms and the like.

For me, In january i will get all the GSM lines. Let me c how NCC will force me to register afresh.

NONSENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 6:20pm On Dec 30, 2009
So what NCC is trying 2say is dat my grandma in d
village dat doesn't knw her exact year of birth wil produce registration details 2register her SIM.
Lemme laff small. grin
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 6:24pm On Dec 30, 2009
This policy will either die or will stop ppl 4rm buying new lines.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 6:38pm On Dec 30, 2009
puskin:

This policy will either die or will stop ppl 4rm[b] buying new lines[/b].
They will simply get people to buy it for them cool cool cool
Welcome to Naija
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by real4life: 7:51pm On Dec 30, 2009
Well this is an idea that should have been remembered b4 flagging GSM bis in naija.
New suscriber? I pity them. Because they are going to be so much stressed as usual to the point that they will prefer going for starcoms and the like.

For me, In january i will get all the GSM lines. Let me c how NCC will force me to register afresh.

NONSENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they will give a deadline for all users to register their sims. After that, It is very easy to block all SIM cards that are not registered

It is a good step because crimes involving phone calls (e.g. demand for ransom by kidnappers) can be significantly curtailed
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by efekelvin(m): 8:28pm On Dec 30, 2009
@realforlife,

My Broda,
If it is demand for ransome it is done in advanced countries where all phone lines are registered. You remember that already the network providers are crying about its effect on their biz. They will pass it down to the end users- me & U.
What NCC should be thinking of now is to to provide the infrastructure for the GSM tariff to come down.

You don't wake up in December and enact a law that will be effective the next March, not taking into consideration its effect on the business providers and the masses.

It has to be debated and given enough time of at least one year for people to commence registration.
Do you remember the bank cosolidation era? Hw much time was given?

The users of gsm line in naija are about 69 million how will you handle this number in 3 months. This will be chaotic. Just watch and c.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by rasputinn(m): 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2009
Good luck to them
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by ladi02(m): 9:20pm On Dec 30, 2009
this is something that should have been done in the initial stage when introducing GSM into Nigeria.

neways, with the current rate of phone theft in Nigeria, i hope it has an effect
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mbulela: 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2009
puskin:

I[b]n various countries around d world, registration details is relevant  only if U want 2buy a postpaid line, [/b]
NCC want 2nw force operators 2apply it 2pre-paid lines as well.
In which country do network operators obtain registration details b4 selling U a pre-paid line? undecided
K.
March 1, 2010.
Im waiting.
those are ignorant comments.
a little search will prevent such ignorance.
The more relevant fact is that this will be a project to enrich a few, frustrate the majority and the result is known before it begins.
as long as there is one unregistered SIM, the project will be deemed a technical failure.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 9:45pm On Dec 30, 2009
^ Ignorant comments U say.
Since U knw beta, mention one country whr registration details r obtained b4 owning a pre-paid(PayG) line.
U think here is the Politics section.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mbulela: 9:59pm On Dec 30, 2009
i know this is not the politics section but it is still the world wide web, where you do not just make sweeping generalization.
4 countries off my head (you asked for one);South Africa, India, Australia and Uk.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by ladi02(m): 10:08pm On Dec 30, 2009
@puskin,
Nigeria has to build a system that works for her, we dont have to think because the registration of pre-paid lines are not done abroad we cant have ours,

how many countries do u see houses with fence and gates, lol, we create wat works with our environment undecided
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mbulela: 10:21pm On Dec 30, 2009
ladi02, prepaid line registration is done in some countries

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Download Jumia Black Friday App Now! / Unlock Hidden Features On Your Phone With 13 Secret Codes / Elon Musk Accidentally Reveals A Bizarre Alternate Twitter Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.