Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire (5351 Views)

Court Grants Divorce To Woman Who Sued Over Size Of Hubby's Manhood Too BIG. / Marshall Benard And Gloria Patrick Canceled Wedding! Bachelor's Eve Continues / Photo Of The Man Who Died After Sex With Four Ladies In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by Politicalidiot: 8:50pm On Apr 11, 2017

Facts: Background story

By a resolution of FBN's board of directors dated February 24 2000, Longe was appointed managing director and chief executive officer of FBN. Before then, Longe had been FBN's executive director. In 2002 Longe was alleged to have negligently granted an unauthorized facility to Investors International (London) Limited for the acquisition of shares in NITEL, which resulted in losses for FBN. Therefore, on April 22 2002 Longe was suspended by the board, and on June 13 2002 the board convened a meeting during which it revoked Longe's appointment.

Consequently, Longe brought an action against FBN under Section 266 of the act on the grounds that (i) he was entitled to be given notice of the meeting revoking his appointment, and (ii) as he was not given notice of the meeting, the meeting was invalid and accordingly all decisions taken at that meeting were unlawful, null and void and incapable of having any legal effect, in particular the decision to revoke his appointment. FBN argued that due to Longe's suspension by the board, he was not entitled to further notice of the meeting at which his appointment was revoked. The Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal both dismissed Longe's claims, and Longe appealed further to the Supreme Court.

Decision of the court

In March 2010, the Supreme Court of Nigeria issued a landmark judgment in favour of plaintiff Bernard Longe. The court also issued a declaration that the board of directors of First Bank of Nigeria Plc (FBN), which sacked Longe as managing director, could not lawfully hold a board meeting without giving notice to Longe, and that all decisions taken at any such meeting were unlawful, null and void and incapable of having any legal effect.
In effect, FBN's decision to sack Longe, which was made at a board meeting held in his absence, was illegal, null and void as it did not follow due process under Sections 266(1) and (2) of the Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) 1990.

Therefore, the decision to remove Longe was a clear violation of the law, and such violation must attract the penalty prescribed under Section 266(3) of the act - that is, that failure to give notice invalidates the meeting and any decisions made therein.

Thus, the court declared that Longe was still the managing director and chief executive officer of FBN and as such entitled to all remunerations within the preceding 10yrs, as he was in fact, a director of First Bank Nigeria amounting to #10bn.

Full facts of the case | Commentary | Further research

Currently facing a Labor / employment issue? Talk to someone who can help you now →

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 11, 2017
I think I'm gonna sue MTN, they disturb me everyday with 055228 call.

1 Like

Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by princechurchill(m): 8:57pm On Apr 11, 2017
MTN is next on my list

1 Like

Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by Politicalidiot: 11:10pm On Apr 14, 2017
ToriBlue:
I think I'm gonna sue MTN, they disturb me everyday with 055228 call.

grin grin Before you do that, read the facts of the case. A shitt-ton of money awaits.

1 Like

Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by Politicalidiot: 11:25pm On Apr 16, 2017
princechurchill:
MTN is next on my list

grin grin
Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by greatgod2012(f): 11:31pm On Apr 16, 2017
This is what happens when you know your rights as well as how to exercise those rights!

I'm happy for you Mr Longe!!

1 Like

Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by Politicalidiot: 9:36am On Apr 18, 2017
greatgod2012:
This is what happens when you know your rights as well as how to exercise those rights!

I'm happy for you Mr Longe!!

Mostly entails having the cash to pursue such justice! It took him almost 10 yrs!
Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by Blackfire(m): 9:45am On Apr 18, 2017
Who do I sue now, since everyone has taken the whistle blowing job.
Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by greatgod2012(f): 9:55am On Apr 18, 2017
Politicalidiot:

Mostly entails having the cash to pursue such justice! It took him almost 10 yrs!

Some people have this money but never knew anything about having any right not to talk of exercising those rights!
Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by yomalex(m): 2:29pm On Apr 18, 2017
Jesu Gbami shocked shocked shocked
Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by Alphamale2017(m): 3:34pm On Apr 18, 2017
jesu
Re: Benard Longe: The Man Who Sued FIRST BANK PLC and Became A Billionaire by Politicalidiot: 2:56am On Apr 19, 2017
greatgod2012:

Some people have this money but never knew anything about having any right not to talk of exercising those rights!

That's the thing with us Nigerians. WE are professionals when it comes to "sleeping on our rights". That's why wen i see an employee working under horrible conditions (nee foreigners grin ), I will be like "na you cause am! (in my mind oo).

(1) (Reply)

Why Is My Boyfriend Doing This? / This Money For My Baby Mama Upkeep - Photos / Just Look At What Bobrisky Have Turned Himself To! Viewers Discretion Is Adviced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.