Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming (19584 Views)

Buy Cat Fish Fingerlings and Post fingerlings / How To Use Super Gro For Fish Farming, Especially Cat Fish. / Cat Fish With Human Teeth Caught Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by Adieza(m): 10:56pm On Apr 11, 2017
How To Start An Intensive Catfish Farming
Catfish farming is one of the profitable agribusiness venture for youths. One could easily make a lot of Money venturing into commercial Catfish farming.
I will give a detailed guide on how I started my own catfish farm. Just do me a favour by patiently reading till the end.
The species of catfish I'm farming. For my fish farm, I am culturing the African catfish known as Clarias gariepinus.
Clarias gariepinushas an average adult length of 1–1.5 m, it reaches a maximum length of 1.7 m and can weigh up to 60 kg. My target is to achieve a live weight of at least 4kg.
The African catfish was realized to be a very suitable species for fish farming for the following reasons:
*.It has fast growth rate and feeds on a large variety of agriculture byproducts
*.It is hardy and tolerates adverse water quality conditions
*.It can be raised in high stocking densities, resulting in high net yields
*.The selling price is higher due to its demand
*.It tolerates difficult conditions in fish farming
System of management
The System of management I used in this catfish farming is Semi-intensive system. It mainly involves fertilizing the pond so that algae will grow as supplementary feed and source of dissolved oxygen for the fishes, and occasionally flushing the pond.
I am using this management option because I stay in a place where there is no constant water supply.
Fertilization of Pond water
Fertilizers are natural or synthetic substances that are used in ponds to increasethe production of the natural food organismsto be eaten by the fish. These organisms includephytoplankton, zooplankton,and insects. They are all part of a complexfood webconverging toward fish production. By increasing the availability of major nutrients,fertilizers promote the development of planktonic algae, which provide food for many fish.
Fish pond can be fertilized with two types of fertilizers.
1.Mineral or inorganic fertilizerswhich contain only mineral nutrients and no organic matter. They are manufactured industrially to be used in agriculture for improving crop production and they can be obtained from specialized suppliers or agro-allied companies.
2.Organic fertilizers, which contain a mixture of organic matter and mineral nutrients. These include poultry droppings, pig faeces, cow dung, rabbit faeces e.t.c
I used poultry droppings for the fertilization of my pond. See the video demonstration of how to fertilize pond.
After fertilizing the pond I let it stand for more than one week. After one week I noticed the growth of algae which is the natural food of the fishes. I then removed the bag of poultry droppings from the pond water.
Stocking with fingerlings of Clarias gariepinus
When I wanted to stock my fish I removed three-quarter of the pond water which is now very green and filled up with clean water. The reason for this is to reduce turbidity and light penetration into the water.
The Catfish I want to farm is the African Catfish scientifically known asClarias gariepinus. I now introduced the fishes into the pond water.
Feeding of the fingerlings
I fed the fishes three times daily; morning, afternoon and night. For the first three weeks(April 4th- April 25th) the fishes were fed 1mm of extruded(floating) fish feed rich in protein content. In the evening of April 25th, I started to feed the fishes with 1.8mm feed and that is what they are eating up till now.
The video below is me feeding the fishes.
Flushing of Fish pond(partially changing pond water)
Although I use the semi-intensive culture of catfish where algae is allowed in the pond water as supplementary fish food and source of oxygen, it is important to flush the pond for a number of reasons.
1. Water changing remove excess nitrates, heavy metals (which will just concentrate if the pond water is only replaced through evaporation). So reducing like three-quarter of pond water and refilling with clean water will reduce the concentration of this compounds.
2. Flushing of pond reduces pond water turbidity which impedes light penetration into the pond water. This turbidity is usually caused by high concentration of organic matter in the pond.
3. It reduces algae boom; a condition in which the green algae becomes over-populated in pond water and harm the fishes by greatly reducing oxygen content of fish pond water.
4. It also helps reduce the foul smell that might be coming out from the fish pond.
Other points to note: Always examine your fishes well and make sure they are well fed with the best feed at the fingerlings stage.

www.agricinfo.com/2017/03/how-to-start-intensive-catfish-farming.html?m=1

Video Link of how i made a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYioCFmeURo

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by madgoat(m): 11:09pm On Apr 11, 2017
Hehehehehheheh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by FMCASH(m): 12:40am On Apr 12, 2017
If you want to learn how to produce your catfish feed and make more reasonable profit, contact my sign.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by hollowpot15684(m): 10:31pm On Apr 17, 2017
thank you...
I hope someone will not come and blame Buhari for their predicaments again.
here is a chance for you to do something and stop slaying on zero account.

3 Likes

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by josephine123: 10:32pm On Apr 17, 2017
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by galarbagalapazy(m): 10:32pm On Apr 17, 2017
wishstle blower
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by Nobody: 10:35pm On Apr 17, 2017
Okay
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by KKKWHITE(m): 10:37pm On Apr 17, 2017
How much to start on a large scale ? Will 2m be enough ?
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by Bsmartt(m): 10:37pm On Apr 17, 2017
This is one of the projects I will be embarking on very soon. It's much more lucrative compared to poultry farming.

3 Likes

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by smartty68(m): 10:39pm On Apr 17, 2017
Adieza:
Catfish farming is one of the profitable agribusiness venture for youths. One could easily make a lot of Money venturing into commercial Catfish farming.
I will give a detailed guide on how I started my own catfish farm. Just do me a favour by patiently reading till the end.
The species of catfish I'm farming. For my fish farm, I am culturing the African catfish known as Clarias gariepinus.
Clarias gariepinushas an average adult length of 1–1.5 m, it reaches a maximum length of 1.7 m and can weigh up to 60 kg. My target is to achieve a live weight of at least 4kg.
The African catfish was realized to be a very suitable species for fish farming for the following reasons:
*.It has fast growth rate and feeds on a large variety of agriculture byproducts
System of management
The System of management I used in this catfish farming is Semi-intensive system. It mainly involves fertilizing the pond so that algae will grow as supplementary feed and source of dissolved oxygen for the fishes, and occasionally flushing the pond.
I am using this management option because I stay in a place where there is no constant water supply.
Fertilizers are natural or synthetic substances that are used in ponds to increasethe production of the natural food organismsto be eaten by the fish. These organisms includephytoplankton, zooplankton,and insects. They are all part of a complexfood webconverging toward fish production. By increasing the availability of major nutrients,fertilizers promote the development of planktonic algae, which provide food for many fish.
1.Mineral or inorganic fertilizerswhich contain only mineral nutrients and no organic matter. They are manufactured industrially to be used in agriculture for improving crop production and they can be obtained from specialized suppliers or agro-allied companies.
2.Organic fertilizers, which contain a mixture of organic matter and mineral nutrients. These include poultry droppings, pig faeces, cow dung, rabbit faeces e.t.c
I used poultry droppings for the fertilization of my pond. See the video demonstration of how to fertilize pond.
After fertilizing the pond I let it stand for more than one week. After one week I noticed the growth of algae which is the natural food of the fishes. I then removed the bag of poultry droppings from the pond water.
When I wanted to stock my fish I removed three-quarter of the pond water which is now very green and filled up with clean water. The reason for this is to reduce turbidity and light penetration into the water.
The Catfish I want to farm is the African Catfish scientifically known asClarias gariepinus. I now introduced the fishes into the pond water.
I fed the fishes three times daily; morning, afternoon and night. For the first three weeks(April 4th- April 25th) the fishes were fed 1mm of extruded(floating) fish feed rich in protein content. In the evening of April 25th, I started to feed the fishes with 1.8mm feed and that is what they are eating up till now.
Although I use the semi-intensive culture of catfish where algae is allowed in the pond water as supplementary fish food and source of oxygen, it is important to flush the pond for a number of reasons.
1. Water changing remove excess nitrates, heavy metals (which will just concentrate if the pond water is only replaced through evaporation). So reducing like three-quarter of pond water and refilling with clean water will reduce the concentration of this compounds.
2. Flushing of pond reduces pond water turbidity which impedes light penetration into the pond water. This turbidity is usually caused by high concentration of organic matter in the pond.
3. It reduces algae boom; a condition in which the green algae becomes over-populated in pond water and harm the fishes by greatly reducing oxygen content of fish pond water.
4. It also helps reduce the foul smell that might be coming out from the fish pond.
Other points to note: Always examine your fishes well and make sure they are well fed with the best feed at the fingerlings stage.

Nice one OP. But how much does one needs to start fishing farming? Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by smartty68(m): 10:41pm On Apr 17, 2017
FMCASH:
If you want to learn how to produce your catfish feed and make more reasonable profit, contact my sign.
Nice one. Bro please teach me na or else I go blow whistle grin

1 Like

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by cyberprof: 10:42pm On Apr 17, 2017
Thank you sir. This is what I want to do after graduation I don't need to look For any job. God help me Amen

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by arsenic33(m): 10:43pm On Apr 17, 2017
Pop which type of pond you dey talk about?
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by Hadecaller(f): 10:45pm On Apr 17, 2017
What is the local feed formulation you use in the correct proportion plz!!!
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by FMCASH(m): 10:55pm On Apr 17, 2017
Lol, holla me for whatsapp

smartty68:

Nice one. Bro please teach me na or else I go blow whistle grin
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by FMCASH(m): 10:59pm On Apr 17, 2017
Hadecaller:
What is the local feed formulation you use in the correct proportion plz!!!

Do you know you can be an ANIMAL NUTRITIONIST with just #3000 only?

All what you need is to purchase the manual titled FEED FORMULATION A-Z.

Content of the manual: rule of thumbs; classification of feed stuffs; feed formulation recipe and examples for each class of livestock (POULTRY, PIGGERY, CATFISH, RUMINANT, RABBIT, SNAILERY, DOG); nutrient requirements; how to cut cost and so on.

In addition to the purchase you will also be given a feed formulator SOFTWARE FREELY to enhance your learning.

Advantages of the software compare to others you have been seeing or using before:
* it can analyse any amount(kg) of feed.
* it can calculate total price of feed with out stress.
* you can edit and input any feedstuff into it.
For more information call/Whatsapp 07065317036.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by BE811APP: 11:08pm On Apr 17, 2017
Intresting!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by Adebowhales(m): 11:17pm On Apr 17, 2017
ff
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by darocha1: 11:21pm On Apr 17, 2017
will 200k be enough to start.
what are the dangers to one's health if the pond is done in the compound

1 Like

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by wealthinfos(m): 11:28pm On Apr 17, 2017
Get tested guide how anyone can start small or medium scale Snail Farming business right from home and make huge profits yearly!

Information is money!

www.snailfarmingng..com also see my signature below

See you @the top!
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by maxiuc(m): 11:31pm On Apr 17, 2017
if you have access to clean water then u should wait

you need water

you need water
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by adezjamz(m): 11:42pm On Apr 17, 2017
FMCASH:

Do you know you can be an ANIMAL NUTRITIONIST with just #3000 only?

All what you need is to purchase the manual titled FEED FORMULATION A-Z.

Content of the manual: rule of thumbs; classification of feed stuffs; feed formulation recipe and examples for each class of livestock (POULTRY, PIGGERY, CATFISH, RUMINANT, RABBIT, SNAILERY, DOG); nutrient requirements; how to cut cost and so on.

In addition to the purchase you will also be given a feed formulator SOFTWARE FREELY to enhance your learning.

Advantages of the software compare to others you have been seeing or using before:
* it can analyse any amount(kg) of feed.
* it can calculate total price of feed with out stress.
* you can edit and input any feedstuff into it.
For more information call/Whatsapp 07065317036.
Someone posted an information for free and you are here advertising your material. Holla everything you want to say here. No private whatsapp.

4 Likes

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by 3rdavefarms(m): 12:15am On Apr 18, 2017
Whistles it out
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by wellmax(m): 12:21am On Apr 18, 2017
This post is making front page since 2011. Whaooo.
Nice info by the way
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by EternalBeing: 12:49am On Apr 18, 2017
Ok.
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by ArcFresky(m): 12:50am On Apr 18, 2017
Nice, please quote me in any other posts
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by SurePresident: 12:52am On Apr 18, 2017
darocha1:
will 200k be enough to start.
what are the dangers to one's health if the pond is done in the compound
200k? Yes, but don't waste it on Concrete ponds construction, get durable tarpauline Ponds that cost 1/3 of Concrete Pond's cost.
From my personal experience, Catfish farming is still very profitable, provided you minimize cost of production in order to maximise profit. The Professional that did mine adviced that the water inlet and outlet must NEVER be on same side, but opposite. So that when fresh water enters it convinently pushes and flushes toxic polluted one out. 3 years ago I got very strong durable mobile Ponds which I'm still using now from http://CatfishGuru..com They also gave free consultancy till I profitably harvested my first set of fish. Check out my Ponds at home and that of my friend:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by denis2: 4:28am On Apr 18, 2017
2017 Massive Job Recruitment Opening in a Hotel in Lekki-Ajah, Lagos Apply Now
http://www.topgist.com.ng/2017-massive-job-recruitment-opening-in-a-hotel-in-lekki-ajah-lagos-apply-new/
Re: How To Start Intensive Cat Fish Farming by 2016v2017: 5:06am On Apr 18, 2017
Adieza:
System of management

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please How Many Bags Of Garri Can One Get From 1 Tons Of Cassava? / Maize Grains, Soyabeans, Sorghum and all grains available In Tonnes For Sale / Poultry Business Plan For Layers And Broilers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.