Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,386 members, 7,808,364 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo (22036 Views)

Salami Panel Asks Buhari To Fire, Prosecute Magu For Corruption / EFCC Chair: Buhari To Re-present Magu To Senate For Confirmation / Magu Came To Beg Me For Confirmation, Saraki Tells CJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by deantimes(m): 8:25am On Apr 12, 2017
​VICE-PRESIDENT Yemi Osinbajo has declared that there is no law in the Nigeria Constitution stopping the Presidency from representing the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, as substantive chairman.

Osinbajo, a Professor of Law and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, made this known while speaking with journalists at the Presidential Villa.

He added that the Presidency is fully in support of Magu emerging as the substantive chairman of the EFCC.

He said: “It is up to the Senate to make their judgement and it is up to us say what we want to do.

“If our candidate is rejected, we can re-present him.

“No law says we can’t re-present him.

“And again, there is the other argument, whether or not we need to present him for confirmation and that’s a compelling argument from Femi Falana.

“His argument is that under the constitution, section 171, and if you look at that section, it talks about the appointments that the president can make.

“They include appointments of ministers, ambassadors and heads of agencies such as the EFCC.

“In that same section 171, the constitution rightly said that certain appointments must go to the Senate such as ministerial and ambassadorial appointments.

“Those of heads of agencies like the EFCC do not have to go to the Senate.

“That’s what the constitution says.

“But the EFCC Act, which of course as you know is inferior, says that EFCC chairman should go to the Senate for confirmation.

“I am sure that even a pocket book lawyer knows that when a legislation conflicts with constitution, it’s the constitution that prevails.

“I agree with Mr. Falana that there was no need in the first place to have sent Magu’s name to the Senate, but we did so and it was rejected by the Senate, but I believe that it can be re-presented.

“I don’t think there is anything wrong about the fact that Senate has rejected him.

“Senate has acted in its own wisdom to say ‘no, we don’t want him’, and we can say ‘this is our candidate… we like the gentleman and we want him to continue.’”

Speaking on report of the Department of State Services that indicted Magu, Osinbajo said President Muhammad Buhari could have interfered with the DSS report if he wanted to, but that he decided to hear Magu’s own account, after which he felt convinced to retain the anti-graft czar.

Osinbajo said: “We should commend the President for not interfering with what the DSS said.

“The DSS came up with a report and the man who was accused refuted it.

“He explained and gave a reason.

“When that happened, the President looked at what Magu said and what the DSS wrote and he said: ‘I am satisfied with what Magu said.’

“He then decided to retain Magu as the nominee for EFCC.

“I don’t see any reason why that should be contested.

“The President has not interfered with what the DSS said.

“If he wanted to interfere, he would have ordered the DSS to keep quiet.

“He didn’t do that, but he said: ‘I don’t think the DSS report is meritorious enough to withdraw his nomination.’

“The President reserves the right to say: ‘this is who I want.’

“I’m fully in support of Magu as the EFCC chairman just as the President is.”

It could be recalled two weeks ago, the Senate stopped the confirmation of Resident Electoral Commissioners of the Independent National Electoral Commission in protest of the decision of the executive to retain Magu as the head of the EFCC.

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/04/we-can-re-present-magu-for-confirmation-osinbajo/

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Nbote(m): 8:32am On Apr 12, 2017
Jus listen to dis ppl.. By d tym dis govt is done with us, we probably won't tell d difference between change and chains.. Since there was no need to present him to the Senate in the first place, den jus go ahead and confirm him urselves instead of wasting d tym of Nigerians, d Senate and dat of urselves..

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Etzakoos(m): 8:37am On Apr 12, 2017
Magu All The Way

46 Likes 8 Shares

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by dolphinife: 8:40am On Apr 12, 2017
The EFCC act says the chairman should be presented to the Senate

The constitution says he shouldn't be presented

And whenever the act and the constitution clashes, the constitution gains preeminence....

When they know this, why do they keep sending his name to the Senate for confirmation??

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by olalat(m): 8:43am On Apr 12, 2017
Nbote:
Jus listen to dis ppl.. By d tym dis govt is done with us, we probably won't tell d difference between change and chains.. Since there was no need to present him to the Senate in the first place, den jus go ahead and confirm him urselves instead of wasting d tym of Nigerians, d Senate and dat of urselves..
waste the time of nigerians! Hell no. i rather advise you dont easte your time on something that do not concrrn you much unless you have our yams in your bern. I wish you could understand at the same speed you comment before reading.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by yerilistik: 8:50am On Apr 12, 2017
This is good !
Magu must continue whether they like it or not.
We know that corruption is really fighting back but with perseverance and resilience this fight against corruption must be won because every other progress in this country depends on it.
With the fantastically corrupt judiciary and the legistlative arms it's not going to be easy but with God on our side, this country will survive all the wicked forces uniting to derail the fight against corruption.

Please click "like" if you believe and "share" if you don't

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by dalongjnr: 8:51am On Apr 12, 2017
all I know is magu wi

4 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by princechurchill(m): 8:54am On Apr 12, 2017
What ever Spirit that compelled me to vote for this idiots, two years and nothing to show,I say die by fire ahhhhhh

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by dalongjnr: 8:56am On Apr 12, 2017
All I know is,magu will remain the head of efcc and nothing can be done about that. corruption will be fought tooth and nail in this country and people who are not happy about that can relocate to Venezuela or Uganda until the end of this government but before then, "return our yam".

24 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Pieromania: 8:59am On Apr 12, 2017
OLEbukola and his gangs of legislathieves practitioners don enter soup.Watch how they wil hurriedly throw a motion to amend the constitution to suite their illegality.
On Buhari i stand,on Magu i believe.Rest in Pieces NASS

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by jfking2005(m): 9:03am On Apr 12, 2017
Please take care of DSS team and their report
Senators will align....DSS is a mole available to use to block Magu's confirmation

3 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by FriendNG: 9:03am On Apr 12, 2017
Just look how some supporters of Osinbanjo when Buhari was absent will disown him now.

No going back on Magu. Saraki, Dino and your Nairaland flats u done hear.

11 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Nbote(m): 9:18am On Apr 12, 2017
olalat:
waste the time of nigerians! Hell no. i rather advise you dont easte your time on something that do not concrrn you much unless you have our yams in your bern. I wish you could understand at the same speed you comment before reading.

It's funny how some of u reason like mofos. U'll rather open d pit u have for a mouth than use d little dats left of ur brains. If wishes were horses U'll actually have sense and then wen u read, U'll easily comprehend nd make reasonable stance and arguments

10 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:20am On Apr 12, 2017
But where is lalasticlala sef?

Please come and represent this story fast grin grin grin

Nigeria Senate Spokesperson - "No law is stopping the Senate from rejecting Magu as Chairman of EFCC again" shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Chuksonyeike: 9:22am On Apr 12, 2017
yerilistik:
This is good !
Magu must continue whether they like it or not.
We know that corruption is really fighting back but with perseverance and resilience this fight against corruption must be won because every other progress in this country depends on it.
With the fantastically corrupt judiciary and the legistlative arms it's not going to be easy but with God on our side, this country will survive all the wicked forces uniting to derail the fight against corruption.

Please click "like" if you believe and "share" if you don't

maybe Buhari is not ready to have new appointees then. tongue tongue tongue

3 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by mekaboy(m): 9:26am On Apr 12, 2017
This one na magu-magu them dey do.

3 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Chuksonyeike: 9:27am On Apr 12, 2017
retaining Magu as EFCC bos will actually weaken the EFCC as an illegal shiaman cannot legally prosecute anyone in court.

2 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Bigii(m): 9:33am On Apr 12, 2017
VP, Enemy of state undecided

1 Like

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Dhugal: 9:43am On Apr 12, 2017
The EFCC Act is a subsidiary legislation to the Constitution,it does not in any way conflict with Constitutional provisions.Nowhere in the Constitution is there mention of EFCC,how it's to be structured and its leadership appointed.That part came under lawmaking powers of the NASS.
Simple Govt 101 and our VP failed it.
I wonder which law school the VP and Falana attended and what grades they came out with.

Modified.

For all the zombots proudly displaying unconscionable ignorance here:

Section 171
(1) Power to appoint persons to hold or act in the offices to which this section applies and to remove persons so appointed from any such office shall vest in the President.

(2) The offices to which this section applies are, namely ¬
(a) Secretary to the Government of the Federation;
(b) Head of the Civil Service of the Federation;
(c) Ambassador, High Commissioner or other Principal Representative of Nigeria abroad;
(d) Permanent Secretary in any Ministry or Head of any Extra-Ministerial Department of the Government of the Federation howsoever designated; and
(e) any office on the personal staff of the President.

(3) An appointment to the office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation shall not be made except from among Permanent Secretaries or equivalent rank in the civil service of the Federation or of a State.

(4) An appointment to the office of Ambassador, High Commissioner or other Principal Representative of Nigeria abroad shall not have effect unless the appointment is confirmed by the Senate.

(5) In exercising his powers of appointment under this section, the President shall have regard to the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote national unity.

(6) Any appointment made pursuant to paragraphs (a) and (e) of subsection (2) of this section shall be at the pleasure of the President and shall cease when the President ceases to hold office; Provided that where a person has been appointed from a public service of the Federation or a State, he shall be entitled to return to the public service of the Federation or of the State when the President ceases to hold

Note: Subsection 2 specify the offices this section applies to.Agencies set up by law are not listed.
The EFCC,and sister agencies like CBN,NDDC and ICPC,are not captured here.They're not Extra-Ministerial departments, as Falana erroneously supposed,but autonomous agencies.
They do not come under the supervision of any ministry like,say Customs or FIRS.

Also
this:
ehissi:

If the enabling act that creates EFCC and determines who and how the Chairman is appointed and should operate, what stops the Chairman of the EFCC from disregarding every other clause as contained in the EFCC act. After all, they are Inferior to the constitution.

Stupid lawyers arguing with themselves in a mirror.......

I am not even a lawyer but it pains me when a lawyer is willing to stand truth on its head for political gain.....

This matter has already been duly resolved in the case of Festus Keyamo VS President and 4ORS. That judgement gave a clear interpretation on what Federal government shouldnt do with respect to appointment.

The Federal government under President Jonathan and previous administrations used to abuse this provision of the Constitution to appoint service Chiefs for military but keyamo was able to challenge this because the enabling acts establishing the armed forces require confirmation from the NASS for such persons to operate in full capacity. Hence, until they are confirmed by the NASS, they are declared as Acting-Chiefs/Heads/Chairman.

The Constitution allows him to be appointed without recourse to the National Assembly, but the enabling act of the EFCC - that creates the EFCC and well as determines the scope and powers of it operation - does not allow him to operate as Chairman without Confirmation from the National Assembly and that is why he is called the "Acting-Chairman" and not Chairman of the EFCC.

They are free to lie to themselves and Zombies alike but that doesnt change the truth......... angry

http://icirnigeria.org/keyamo-to-sue-jonathan-mark-over-illegal-appointment-of-service-chiefs/

Also, the Senate House rules, that guides their conduct and operations doesnt permit the Senate to consider Magu for the Job of EFCC Chairman, which explains why they are not even planning on sending Magu back to the Senate.

Order 131 of the Senate Rules states that, ”nominations neither confirmed nor rejected during the session or within 21 working days in the case of ministerial nominees shall be returned by the Clerk to the National Assembly to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and shall not again be made to the Senate by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria"

Magu can be considered for confirmation for any other Job except that of EFCC chairman. So they are free to say whatever suits them, the law is clear

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by ShitHead(m): 10:31am On Apr 12, 2017
Magu is a bounced cheque...If you like, represent him...counterfeit nah counterfeit.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Tazdroid(m): 10:31am On Apr 12, 2017
Unless they have the remote control (with Duracell battery) of the Senate, this may be another fruitless attempt

But the VP is not only a Prof but a Senior Advocate, is the law not clear to him?

4 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Emereolevanwill(m): 10:31am On Apr 12, 2017
is this man the most capable and best brain this govt can provide. why do this current administration love controversies? I just dont get it.

1 Like

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Tazdroid(m): 10:32am On Apr 12, 2017
dolphinife:

And whenever the act and the constitution clashes, the constitution gains preeminence....

When they know this, why do they keep sending his name to the Senate for confirmation??

Deliberate ignorance of law.

Abeg refer me to the relevant sections wey u dey yan about

2 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by BABANGBALI: 10:32am On Apr 12, 2017
Magu must be confirmed else we will scrap the senate.

3 Likes

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Lanre4uonly(m): 10:33am On Apr 12, 2017
Ok. Let's see how it will unfold.
Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by deantimes(m): 10:35am On Apr 12, 2017
This movie episode is Gonna be interesting.
Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by AngelicBeing: 10:35am On Apr 12, 2017
dolphinife:

Because they are clueless wink

1 Like

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by BABANGBALI: 10:35am On Apr 12, 2017
Lala is a pocket book lawyer just like fabfunmi and rokiatu
Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by spartan117(m): 10:35am On Apr 12, 2017
Dis is how u know an unserious govt angry
U can't tell me dat magu is d most qualified Nigerian to head d efcc

1 Like

Re: We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo by Montaque(m): 10:37am On Apr 12, 2017
Wow
I have every reason to believe that the VP is the force behind all the judicial impunity of PMB's administration.

The constitution is the number font erigo, point taken. It also sets up the organs of government with powers to function, such function must to be in line, and NOT IN CONFLICT WITH THE CONSTITUTION. This is the basis for judging all that the VP is saying here.

The question now is; "is the EFCC Act made under and in compliance of the constitution?" The answer is in the affirmative.

The constitution needs not be exhaustive as to how to appoint all the heads of government parastatals. That's why the NA made laws for all agencies of the FG, and the VP just picked out one to castigate because he and his boss couldn't have their way with Magu.

Osinbajo should not be the executive and the judiciary at the same time. I wonder how he wants to keep interpreting our constitution like he wants.

As for Falana, I don't know what to say. He plays his pipe for the highest bidder.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Our Candidates’ List For INEC Is Ready – APC / Sheikh AbdulRaheem Aduanigba Chief Imam Yoruba Of Ilorin Alleges Threats To Life / Insecurity: Police Disrupt Protest By Southern Kaduna Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.