Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,744 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult (4314 Views)

Rebuilding A 4runner 2005 1gr-fe Engine / Mercedes-Benz Is Phasing Out V-6 Engines In Favor Of Inline-6s / Land Rover Is Rebuilding 1970s Range Rovers For The Wealthy (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 8:15pm On Apr 13, 2017
I am curious to know why rebuilding​ Honda engines​ are deemed difficult by most auto mechanics I have met?

Your contributions​ will be highly appreciated. Apart from block issues

Cc
Nurey
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 8:27pm On Apr 13, 2017

Gazzuzz
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 8:28pm On Apr 13, 2017
Kingreign
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 8:29pm On Apr 13, 2017
AutojoshNG
Honmusa
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by nurey(m): 8:43pm On Apr 13, 2017
I have no idea really as I am not a technician but I am also here to learn.
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by adanny01(m): 8:44pm On Apr 13, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
I am curious to know why rebuilding​ Honda engines​ are deemed difficult by most auto mechanics I have met?

Cc
Nurey

I am shocked.

No engine is difficult to rebuild. However, spare parts quality is the main issue here. Some mechanics even use Toyota rings on Honda because most Honda parts available are substandard. This will cause the rebuild to fail in a short time.

With the right parts, no engine is difficult to rebuild.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 8:54pm On Apr 13, 2017
adanny01:

I am shocked.

No engine is difficult to rebuild. However, spare parts quality is the main issue here. Some mechanics even use Toyota rings on Honda because most Honda parts available are substandard. This will cause the rebuild to fail in a short time.

Are you against the use of Toyota rings in the Honda engine? If yes why? If no... How reliable is it?

Lastly how can one source for genuine Honda rebuild kits​?
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 8:55pm On Apr 13, 2017
nurey:
I have no idea really as I am not a technician but I am also here to learn.
I will be glad if this forum can crack this mystery and demystify Honda engine rebuild.
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by ColeworldMD(m): 9:00pm On Apr 13, 2017
adanny01:

I am shocked.

i want to rebuild my eod engine, any idea which mech u can recommend for me in abuja?
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by adanny01(m): 9:06pm On Apr 13, 2017
ColeworldMD:
i want to rebuild my eod engine, any idea which mech u can recommend for me in abuja?

The best person to help you is Kingreign 07034581213
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 9:06pm On Apr 13, 2017
ColeworldMD:
Why not try kingreign
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 9:09pm On Apr 13, 2017
adanny01:

The best person to help you is Kingreign 07034581213
Answer my questions​ please
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 9:34pm On Apr 13, 2017
More information please
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by adanny01(m): 9:44pm On Apr 13, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Answer my questions​ please

Thought I did already?
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by valarinz: 10:13pm On Apr 13, 2017
From throwing tantrums everywhere unnecessarily and fighting foolishly all over nairaland and car whatsapp groups, it graduated to asslicking and now, creating shallow/irrelevant topics.. Something tells me someone is desperately trying to get some form of employment from Seun, and needs to prove they're active users..

Dear Lord, pls answer some people's prayers, this transition from joblessness to being a nairaland mod is long overdue.

Tnx, bye

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by diportivo: 12:40am On Apr 14, 2017
valarinz:
From throwing tantrums everywhere unnecessarily and fighting foolishly all over nairaland and car whatsapp groups, it graduated to asslicking and now, creating shallow/irrelevant topics.. Something tells me someone is desperately trying to get some form of employment from Seun, and needs to prove they're active users..

Dear Lord, pls answer some people's prayers, this transition from joblessness to being a nairaland mod is long overdue.

Tnx, bye

grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 4:11am On Apr 14, 2017
valarinz:

Tnx, bye
I am not your mate. It will be better you don't do things that will make your​existence a misery. Things that will make you an had been. I will NOT WARN YOU AGAIN. IF YOU THINK I AM JOKING CONTINUE.... BUT THE CONSEQUENCES WILL BE YOURS AND YOUR FAMILY'S​ TO BEAR NOT DIPORTIVOS . Being online doesn't mean you are immune.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 4:35am On Apr 14, 2017
adanny01:

Thought I did already?
No sir. I asked about the reliability of switching to Toyota rings.
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by adanny01(m): 8:00am On Apr 14, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

As far as am concerned, the design for Honda and Toyota piston rings could differ so I would not like to use Toyota for my Honda.

Note that the usual problems are not the compression rings but the oil control rings.

I would make sure I buy the correct rings and a quality one. Else the oil control rings could fail in a short time.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by SmartchoicesNG: 8:13am On Apr 14, 2017
adanny01:

As far as am concerned, the design for Honda and Toyota piston rings could differ so I would not like to use Toyota for my Honda.

Note that the usual problems are not the compression rings but the oil control rings.

I would make sure I buy the correct rings and a quality one. Else the oil control rings could fail in a short time.
How or where can one be sure of getting original Honda rings in Nigeria?
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by ironheart(m): 8:13am On Apr 14, 2017
The issue with nigerian rebuild has nothing to do with substandard parts. When a nigerian man fails woefully, he start blaming parts for his lack of knowledge and inadequate tools. Most mechanic do not have standard tools. How many of them knows how to use callipers and vernier guages? They just remove ring and put a new one without reglazing the bore.

Honestly, we need a lot to learn

A workshop should have at least this 12 tools

Tapered Ring Compressor

Piston Ring Squaring Tool

Piston Ring Filer

Crankshaft Socket

Engine Brushes

Harmonic Damper Installation Tool

Degree Wheel

Dial Bore Gauge

Pushrod Length Checker

Oil Pump Primer

Valve Spring Height Micrometer

Engine Storage Cradle

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by kingreign(m): 8:15am On Apr 14, 2017
ColeworldMD:
As much as I'd had love to assist, I am tied down lately with lots of activities and projects which has/is occupied(ing) a major part of my time this year. Like this year alone, I've travelled more than I can count for family and personal reasons.
Rebuilding an engine requires genuine OEM or better quality parts, you'd have of order from Abroad since Nigeria don't have those parts sourced locally, it requires time and patience which I dont have now due to my current activities.
If you're in Abuja, you could ask for other competent auto technicians to assist you with this task.
SmartchoicesNG:

Toyota rings are a NO NO in honda engine rebuild.
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by Crixie(m): 8:54am On Apr 14, 2017
ironheart:
The issue with nigerian rebuild has nothing to do with substandard parts. When a nigerian man fails woefully, he start blaming parts for his lack of knowledge and inadequate tools. Most mechanic do not have standard tools. How many of them knows how to use callipers and vernier guages? They just remove ring and put a new one without reglazing the bore.

Tapered Ring Compressor

Piston Ring Filer

Crankshaft Socket

Engine Brushes

Degree Wheel

Dial Bore Gauge

Pushrod Length Checker

Oil Pump Primer

Engine Storage Cradle
You have made some very solid correct points but substandard parts have a major part to play too.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by ColeworldMD(m): 8:57am On Apr 14, 2017
kingreign:

As much as I'd had love to assist, I am tied down lately with lots of activities and projects...
If you're in Abuja, you could ask for other competent auto technicians to assist you with this task.
any idea abt cost implications?
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by honmusa(m): 9:06am On Apr 14, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Cc
Nurey
Let me tell you the hard truth ,no true professional technician with good business sense will take the job of engine rebuild cos it is time and resource intensive job unless you are able to pay well enough which far much above the cost of buying a tokunbo engine
So, source for a good tokunbo engine which is a cheaper and time management alternative for everyone.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by ironheart(m): 9:10am On Apr 14, 2017
Crixie:

You have made some very solid correct points but substandard parts have a major part to play too.
lets not be quick to descredit those parts, have you been to where some of this engine rebuild take place? Imagine rebuild being done with sand and dirty hands, what do you expect? If you take your time to do a proper research, most manufacturers of those so called substandard parts, produce the OEM parts.

Get to South africa, this same parts we call substandard parts are what most of them use n are available in part stores, but they have low failure rates
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by kingreign(m): 9:28am On Apr 14, 2017
ColeworldMD:
any idea abt cost implications?

No. I do not have any idea.
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by Crixie(m): 10:10am On Apr 14, 2017
ironheart:
lets not be quick to descredit those parts, have you been to where some of this engine rebuild take place? Imagine rebuild being done with sand and dirty hands, what do you expect? If you take your time to do a proper research, most manufacturers of those so called substandard parts, produce the OEM parts.

Get to South africa, this same parts we call substandard parts are what most of them use n are available in part stores, but they have low failure rates
I have been there Sir.True, some mechanic are not prepared enough to undertake such repair but Quality auto parts play a big role.
About the standard of parts sold in South Africa,Original and substandard auto parts are being sold in South Africa just like it is in Nigeria,I know this very well.
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by ironheart(m): 11:19am On Apr 14, 2017
Crixie:

I have been there Sir.True, some mechanic are not prepared enough to undertake such repair but Quality auto parts play a big role.
About the standard of parts sold in South Africa,Original and substandard auto parts are being sold in South Africa just like it is in Nigeria,I know this very well.
your right

1 Like

Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by WeNoGoDie(m): 11:41am On Apr 14, 2017
ironheart:

Tapered Ring Compressor

Piston Ring Filer

Crankshaft Socket

Engine Brushes

Degree Wheel

Dial Bore Gauge

Pushrod Length Checker

Oil Pump Primer

Engine Storage Cradle

Please sir where's your workshop, I need help with my car and I'd like to discuss it in private. I'm in Lagos. Phone: o8o54942314, Whatsapp only. o8o94203615
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by ironheart(m): 2:02pm On Apr 14, 2017
WeNoGoDie:

Please sir where's your workshop, I need help with my car and I'd like to discuss it in private. I'm in Lagos. Phone: o8o54942314, Whatsapp only. o8o94203615
sorry bro, not a mechanic, but will recommend autologic n GAZZUZZ, u can search them here on car talk, have been go GAZZUZZ workshop n its pretty decent.
Re: Why Is Rebuilding Honda Engines​ Difficult by WeNoGoDie(m): 3:12pm On Apr 14, 2017
ironheart:
sorry bro, not a mechanic, but will recommend autologic n GAZZUZZ, u can search them here on car talk, have been go GAZZUZZ workshop n its pretty decent.

Ok. Thanks. will contact them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Me / Tire Inflation Discussion - What's Appropriate And What Is Not / Cheapest SUV Car To Maintain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.