Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,520 members, 7,801,409 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Facebook Announces Victory Over A Spam Operation After Six Months Of Combat - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Facebook Announces Victory Over A Spam Operation After Six Months Of Combat (421 Views)

Nairaland Webmaster Section Is Now Useless And A Spam Marketplace / Facebook Announces Focus Areas For 2018, Users To See Less Public Content / What 18 Months Of Tech Blogging Has Taught Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Announces Victory Over A Spam Operation After Six Months Of Combat by kingvectorv(m): 11:20pm On Apr 14, 2017
Facebook proudly announced today that it
has — it thinks — put an end to the nefarious
doings of a “sophisticated,” “coordinated operation”
that has been spamming the site for
the last six months.
In a blog post, Facebook’s security team suggested the “inauthentic likes” came
from accounts in “Bangladesh, Indonesia,
Saudi Arabia, and a number of other countries.” That narrows it down! Actually, it sounds pretty smart: The accounts would appear,
like a few pages, spam
them, then fall silent.
Proxies and other means were taken to make it seem that these fake accounts weren’t centrally administrated — which,
of course, they were.
As far as volume, the post scrupulously avoids real numbers:
As we remove the rest of the inauthentic likes,
we expect that 99% of impacted Pages with more than 10,000 likes
will see a drop of less than 3%.
If you can figure out what that means, feel
free to comment below.
What about the fake likes and accounts removed before now?
How many pages were affected? Are pages with fewer likes affected less, or more?
Are there other networks currently being fought in similar
ways, and, if so, what
kind of drops should we
expect when those get
rolled up?
No doubt this is good news for everyone, but
I can’t help but get the
same feeling from Facebook here that I get from Twitter when
it dances around the numbers of bots and spammers on its network. The numbers
will be high, of course,
but even if they’re within reasonable limits, no user or investor likes to hear that there are 10, 20 or 100 million fake accounts or likes.
The dismantlement of this particular network comes hot on the heels of an announcement by the company earlier this week that it was stepping up its efforts
against spam and fake
news.

http://yukhub.com/258/facebook-announces-victory-over-a-spam-operation-after-six-months-of-combat

Re: Facebook Announces Victory Over A Spam Operation After Six Months Of Combat by Nobody: 11:53pm On Apr 14, 2017
ftc
Re: Facebook Announces Victory Over A Spam Operation After Six Months Of Combat by DeBlessedOne(m): 12:01am On Apr 15, 2017
xqzytchyca:
ftc
U think say na front page material be this? Ftc my placenta!
Re: Facebook Announces Victory Over A Spam Operation After Six Months Of Combat by Nobody: 12:03am On Apr 15, 2017
DeBlessedOne:

U think say na front page material be this? Ftc my placenta!
why are you taking it personal nah
Re: Facebook Announces Victory Over A Spam Operation After Six Months Of Combat by yanabasee(m): 12:14am On Apr 15, 2017
CooL..

(1) (Reply)

42,000 Members Facebook Group ,and 2200 Likes Facebook Page For Sale. / Microsoft Excell Gurus.....pls Come In!!! / $65 Worth Of Bitcoin For Grab At An Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.