Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120495 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 6:40am On May 14, 2017
jidestroud:

Firstly, this can only be done to a garden size farming. Commercial farming would require a lot more extensive irrigation system.
You can recycle plastic bottles. The used bottles are buried between plants. They take seconds to fill. All water gets to the roots of each plant unlike sprinklers which allow much of the water to be trapped in the foliage.
This to me is one of the best ways to provide a steady water supply to your vegetable plants without your constant attention is the gradual watering system.
“Through this method a device is employed
that slowly delivers water into the soil
directly around the roots, in this case the bottle buried upside down, with the attached pipe in the ground close to the base of the plant.

Can you provide a link to the YouTube video where u learnt this? Good job so far.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:08pm On May 15, 2017
Day 31: (Transplanting Day)

Finally, today is the 31st day for my tomato seedling. It's time to move them into mother earth's domain. 7 inches in height and looking good.

The beds had been made a week before now and chicken compost added to boost the soil.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:24pm On May 15, 2017
All tomato seedling transplanted and each having it's own self made irrigation bottles. This will enable watering without splashing water on the leaves (disease control).

Next would be using trellis to support the plant when it gets to a considerable height. Though plant type is determinate tomato.

Note: The spacing for the tomato plant was done at 25inches apart.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:26pm On May 15, 2017
obasy09:

Can you provide a link to the YouTube video where u learnt this? Good job so far.
Thanks. Will do.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:34am On May 22, 2017
Day 38: (Garden at a glance)

So far so good, everything seems to be doing quite well, and so green. Although, had issues with white flies and my tomato plants but all thanks to home-made dongoyaro leaves spray (neem leaves), I was able to reduce their activities.

5 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:39am On May 22, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 27: (Scent leaf propagation "Basil"wink

Basil to be inter-cropped with my tomato plant

Since I have opted to use biological/organic means as much as possible on my farm, I have been constantly checking out plants that are of mutual benefits to one another. So today, it's Basil aka scent-leaf nursing day.

Unfortunately, I could lay my hands on the seeds so I opted for the self propagation way.

The rest is explained in the pictures.

All I have to do now is wait for roots to develop. This should take roughly about 2weeks. *i'm a very patient farmer. Lol

Finally, exactly 11days after, desired rooting system have been gotten. Patience pays after all, it's time to transplant my basil into proper nursing pots (bags).

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 22, 2017
following with keen interest. well done

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Xlyad(m): 6:22pm On May 22, 2017
jidestroud:

Finally, exactly 11days after, desired rooting system have been gotten. Patience pays after all, it's time to transplant my basil into proper nursing pots (bags).
please explain how u propagated the sent leaf from the stem.is it only water in that container?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:12pm On May 22, 2017
Xlyad:
please explain how u propagated the sent leaf from the stem.is it only water in that container?

Yes, it is just water. All you need do is do a cutting from a newly shootout, just leaving about four fresh leaves, that's all. Put in a water jar as illustrated in the picture (pls check out the previous post explained with pictures). Make sure u change the water once it turns cloudy or milky. That's all.

I actually did this because I couldn't lay may hands on the seeds. I was able to get 7 new plants from this method to plant alongside my tomato plant.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by sunny15: 9:23pm On May 22, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 38: (Garden at a glance)

So far so good, everything seems to be doing quite well, and so green. Although, had issues with white flies and my tomato plants but all thanks to home-made dongoyaro leaves spray (neem leaves), I was able to reduce their activities.

Please can you help me with how you made the dongoyaro leaves spray? And how you applied it
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:56am On May 23, 2017
sunny15:

Please can you help me with how you made the dongoyaro leaves spray? And how you applied it

To make five litres of spray use about one
kilogram of fresh neem (dongoyaro) leaves. Put the leaves into a
pot and add five litres of water. Boil the mixture until the green colour is gone from the leaves. When the green colour is gone it means that the part of the leaves that affects the insects has gone into the water. Let the water cool overnight. The next day, remove the leaves or filter the mixture through a fine cloth. Now you have a neem (dongoyaro) spray that is ready to use on your crop.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by sunny15: 7:24am On May 23, 2017
[quote author=jidestroud post=56785339]

pot and add five litres of water. Boil the mixture until the green colour is gone from the leaves. When the green colour is gone it means that the part of the leaves that affects the insects has gone into the water.

Thank you very much sir. God bless!

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 9:33am On May 23, 2017
jidestroud:

pot and add five litres of water. Boil the mixture until the green colour is gone from the leaves. When the green colour is gone it means that the part of the leaves that affects the insects has gone into the water. Let the water cool overnight. The next day, remove the leaves or filter the mixture through a fine cloth. Now you have a neem (dongoyaro) spray that is ready to use on your crop.

Just imagine. This a common anti-malaria drink here when boiled with lime and/or pineapple skin.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Xlyad(m): 10:51am On May 23, 2017
jidestroud:

Yes, it is just water. All you need do is do a cutting from a newly shootout, just leaving about four fresh leaves, that's all. Put in a water jar as illustrated in the picture (pls check out the previous post explained with pictures). Make sure u change the water once it turns cloudy or milky. That's all.

I actually did this because I couldn't lay may hands on the seeds. I was able to get 7 new plants from this method to plant alongside my tomato plant.
thanks a lot
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:36pm On May 23, 2017
Xlyad:
thanks a lot
Glad I could help, but seed planting still remains the fastest way to get the basil on a large scale.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:39pm On May 23, 2017
1kinggy:

Just imagine. This a common anti-malaria drink here when boiled with lime and/or pineapple skin.
Yes o! You can say that again. But I was made to know the neem seeds is more effective than the leaves. I will be gathering the seeds this time around from the dongoyaro tree (since it only produces once a year)

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by victormogg: 2:02pm On May 23, 2017
Thanks a lot keep up.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jakesbaba: 2:30pm On May 23, 2017
[quote author=jidestroud post=55808824]Day 7:

Today I'll be experimenting with the pumpkin seeds I grew in the bags to get more from a single seed.

I won't be doing it on a large scale until success is recorded with this few.

I am going to be splitting the seeds into just two equal parts as against the 4part division. (As stated in the article)..

Good job..... I'm planning to start a vegetable farm on a large scale. Please I'll love to visit your farm. Thank you.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:34pm On May 23, 2017
[quote author=jakesbaba post=56800610][/quote]
You are very much welcome as long as u are based in Lagos. It's still at the experimental stage though.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:50am On May 24, 2017
Day 40 (The call)

I must say a big thank you to nairaland for making this happen. I got a call from someone asking me to come observe their students on their on-going cucumber project. I was thrilled and excited. I went there and I was impressed at what I saw, though most of my questions to them wasn't answered (studentssss, lol).
I guess I'm now an observer, lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:53am On May 26, 2017
Day 42 (The need for stalking)

Thank God the rains, though it's been talking its toll on my tomato plants with a few bending over. So today I introduced the stalking. Note, the tomato is a determinate tomato type so there's really no need for this. But I just chose to do this to keep my plants upright. Quite tedious and stressful though especially working alone.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:09am On May 26, 2017
Yet Another Visitation from A school

I got another call from a school asking if they could come around and see my garden shocked. Why not I said?! So they came around and I toured them around lol. It felt good and pleasing to the heart. cool smiley

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 3:24pm On May 26, 2017
jidestroud:
Yet Another Visitation from A school

I got another call from a school if they could come around and see my garden shocked. Why not I said?! So they came around and I toured they around lol. It felt good and pleasing to the heart. cool smiley

Good job. Please are you on IG?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 4:45pm On May 26, 2017
1kinggy:

Good job. Please are you on IG?

Thanks. Sure I am.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by samzx: 7:58pm On May 26, 2017
Is the neem water serves as insecticide?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:32pm On May 26, 2017
samzx:
Is the neem water serves as insecticide?
Yes, it serves as insecticide and also a booster for the plants
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:22pm On May 27, 2017
Day 43 (Trellis making for cucumber plant)

Today was dedicated to the cucumber plants in sacks. Decided to make their own trellis stake for them.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 12:35pm On May 27, 2017
jidestroud, what's that plant with the partly purple leaves called?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:14pm On May 27, 2017
Seun:
jidestroud, what's that plan with the partlyp purple leaves called?

That's the Lagos spinach popularly called soko (sokoyokoto)

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 7:58pm On May 27, 2017
jidestroud:

Thanks. Sure I am.

Please share your username or follow @ngffarms
Thanks.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by samzx: 10:14pm On May 27, 2017
I want to start my own cucumber sack farming tomorrow with five ring F1, getting the soil together in the sacks is not a day work oo. Hope I can add my chicken drops and also plant same day?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:30am On May 28, 2017
samzx:
I want to start my own cucumber sack farming tomorrow with five ring F1, getting the soil together in the sacks is not a day work oo. Hope I can add my chicken drops and also plant same day?

I wouldn't advice that. I would rather you make use of compost manure: that's chicken manure that has been left over time n turned into black soil. That was what I used anyways. If used without composting it could damage roots and possibly kill your plants, however, once it is composted chicken manure is:

A good soil amendment, chicken manure adds organic matter and increases the water holding capacity and beneficial biota in soil.

A good fertilizer; chicken manure provides Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium to you plants (more than horse, cow or steer manure).

Thanks

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.