Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120519 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 9:20pm On Jun 03, 2017
jidestroud:

Sorry about the loss, but point of correction, from the picture uploaded, that ain't a disease but indicates damage done by insect pest (beetles). There are a lot of organic insecticides out there which you can use to resolve this issue.
Also, you could check out your plant at night. You would be amazed at your findings. Since it's a small size garden, try handpicking the beetles.
ok
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 2:34pm On Jun 04, 2017
jidestroud:

Sorry about the loss, but point of correction, from the picture uploaded, that ain't a disease but indicates damage done by insect pest (beetles). There are a lot of organic insecticides out there which you can use to resolve this issue.
Also, you could check out your plant at night. You would be amazed at your findings. Since it's a small size garden, try handpicking the beetles.

I actually saw some beetles on the leaves this morning.

I also saw a spider like creature, i think its the one that suck out the root of the maize.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:52pm On Jun 04, 2017
oyetpel:

I actually saw some beetles on the leaves this morning.

I also saw a spider like creature, i think its the one that suck out the root of the maize.

As suspected. You could employ the use of some organic insecticides, there are several out there you could chose from. (I so hate synthetic chemicals, only use as a last option).

What I usually do is, I do a lot of handpicking, then I spray with neem extract. It really works.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 6:14pm On Jun 05, 2017
jidestroud:
I checked out about 7 agricultural outlets to get any Bt products (Bacillus thuringiensis), to my greatest surprise I couldn't.
Thanks for your updates, bro. For those of us who can't seem to find any agricultural outlets anywhere, can you list those 7, please?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:43pm On Jun 05, 2017
Seun:

Thanks for your updates, bro. For those of us who can't seem to find any agricultural outlets anywhere, can you list those 7, please?

Okay, the places I visited were;
1. Agric (along badagry expr road), just after barracks
2. Along LASU road (where most farmer's around there get their products from.
3. Was directed to Alaba Rago
4. From there, I was asked to go to Apapa, Dizengoff to be precised, along Creek road.
5. Later on checked the Agricultural institute in Badagry, Ikoga (Pota, hope I got that right)
6. Then came back to some agro-allied stores at Agbara bus-stop.

Goodnews though, I was able to place an order for the product online (alibaba) through the help of a friend. Will be updating with pictures when it arrives, can't wait.
Also, placed an order for strawberry seeds, (I just hope I ain't over exploiting my garden dreams)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by tintedniggz(m): 10:31pm On Jun 05, 2017
Great work you're doing here.

Pls, I discovered holes on my corn leaves. I'm guessing it's an insect/pest attack. Pls how can I curb this? Can I use neem extract?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 10:36pm On Jun 05, 2017
jidestroud:

4. From there, I was asked to go to Apapa, Dizengoff to be precised, along Creek road.
5. Later on check the Agricultural institute in Badagry, Ikoga (Pota, hope I got that right)

Goodnews though, I was able to place an other for the product online (alibaba) through the help of a friend. Will be updating with pictures when it arrives, can't wait.
Also, placed an other for strawberry seeds, (I just hope I ain't over exploiting my garden dreams)

other------- ORDER
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by toastedbread: 2:26am On Jun 06, 2017
this is unrelated but where i want to site my test-run fluted pumkin garden has bushes around thus my question.

what chemical chases snakes away?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 4:59am On Jun 06, 2017
oyetpel:

other------- ORDER
Thanks. Correction made. cheesy
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:44am On Jun 06, 2017
toastedbread:
this is unrelated but where i want to site my test-run fluted pumkin garden has bushes around thus my question.

Honestly, I personally do not know of any known proven chemical pesticides for snakes. The only best known way to me remains keeping the farm environment clean at all times; try to reduce/remove heaps, piles, or areas of bushes, rocks, firewood, or anywhere else they could shelter. Also try to dispose or eliminate potential food sources from your farm that could bring in snakes. You could also use barriers and set up traps around the farmland too. This will at least reduce the intrusion of snakes to barest minimum.

The traditional means of planting tobacco plants (ewe taba - as the yorubas will call it ) around the farm or household has no scientific basis. In fact, I have them around the house and still see garter snakes on it, though harmless to people and great rodent/rats/frogs/insect control, so I leave them alone as long as they don't get inside my house.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:51am On Jun 06, 2017
tintedniggz:
Great work you're doing here.

Pls, I discovered holes on my corn leaves. I'm guessing it's an insect/pest attack. Pls how can I curb this? Can I use neem extract?
Yes it is an insect/pest attack and Yes you can use the neem leave extract, but neem oil would be a better option.

Note: Never hesitate to weigh your options when caught up between using organic or synthetic chemical control. Though I preach 100% organic methods.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:51am On Jun 06, 2017
Day 50 (The Rains and Diseases)

Sad day for me in my garden. Why won't the rain just stop?!!! Tomato plants and the rains is a no no. It's been a week with barely a day going without the constant downpours. It has started to take its toll on my Tomato plants with many of them coming down with diseases. Had to destroy a couple of them (there's no coming back from it honestly, prevention is the key. Once infected, best option, pull out and dispose appropriately).

Moreover, I have got my pretty little garden flooded.

Time to replace the empty holes with new seedling (Rio degrande), and do a little adjustment to the garden.

1. The need for mulching
2. Use of black nylon bags to cover the whole beds (prevents the rainwater hitting the spoil, splashing on the plant leaves)
3. Spray the whole surroundings (this will be of little benefit though, all will still get washed away by the rain)
4. Get a more resistant variety.

The fluted pumpkins, cucumbers, Lagos spinach, Corn are doing just fine though.

Lesson learnt: Farming is no joke at all biko! It's real business.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 9:22am On Jun 06, 2017
@jidestroud, sorry to hear about the spoils.

As a first time subsistence farmer myself, am facing too many challenges myself.

I think its birds sucking out and eating my. maize plant from the roots. They 'chowed' 5 already, had to replant.

I think with my heaps, the corn i planted was too close to the top.

So many lessons am learning, that i hope to make use of as i continue my Horticulture.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by tintedniggz(m): 5:51pm On Jun 06, 2017
jidestroud:

Yes it is an insect/pest attack and Yes you can use the neem leave extract, but neem oil would be a better option.

Note: Never hesitate to weigh your options when caught up between using organic or synthetic chemical control. Though I preach 100% organic methods.
Any idea where I can get neem oil?
Thanks much
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 7:24pm On Jun 06, 2017
oyetpel:
I also have this maize garden in front of the house.

The ropes are thatched together to keep off goats.

The maize is a week old.

6 were affected by the disease on the leaves below, so i uprooted the 6 and planted another 6 on the heap i uprooted the affected once from.

This ur soil will require manure to do well..

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 7:32pm On Jun 06, 2017
toastedbread:

Buy enough bitter cola and drop it at the suspected spot or spread it around the farmland. Goodbye to Mr. Snakes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 7:40pm On Jun 06, 2017
Ndbc:

This ur soil will require manure to do well..
Its a fine loamy soil.
So many earthworms were there when i was cultivating it.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 7:56pm On Jun 06, 2017
oyetpel:

Its a fine loamy soil.

Okay,
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Cherie04: 2:54pm On Jun 07, 2017
Hello op, I'm really inspired by your work, I'm also about to start planting ugu I. E the fluted pumpkin and maize on one acre of land, I won't be dividing my ugu seeds like you because it's my first time. Pls can you give me some tips you think I would need? Thanks in anticipation
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 4:09pm On Jun 07, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 50 (The Rains and Diseases)

Sad day for me in my garden. Why won't the rain just stop?!!! Tomato plants and the rains is a no no. It's been a week with barely a day going without the constant downpours. It has started to take its toll on my Tomato plants with many of them coming down with diseases. Had to destroy a couple of them (there's no coming back from it honestly, prevention is the key. Once infected, best option, pull out and dispose appropriately).

Moreover, I have got my pretty little garden flooded.

Time to replace the empty holes with new seedling (Rio degrande), and do a little adjustment to the garden.

1. The need for mulching
2. Use of black nylon bags to cover the whole beds (prevents the rainwater hitting the spoil, splashing on the plant leaves)
3. Spray the whole surroundings (this will be of little benefit though, all will still get washed away by the rain)
4. Get a more resistant variety.

The fluted pumpkins, cucumbers, Lagos spinach, Corn are doing just fine though.

Lesson learnt: Farming is no joke at all biko! It's real business.

So sorry to see the flood wiping away your tomatoes. Farmibg/gardening is not for the weak at heart.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:25pm On Jun 07, 2017
Day 51: (The Lagos spinach harvest)

It's been rain rain rain all day. I have virtually disposed/removed all my Tomato plants. They all at last succumbed to the heavy rainfalls, except for those planted in sacks. They are currently doing perfectly well.

Nevertheless, it's not all bad news on the farm, I did some harvesting today. Hurraaaaay!!! I was able to harvest my Lagos spinach and I sold everything. It wasn't much but at least it felt good.

Lagos spinach plant sold.
Quantiy (16 bundles sold) @ N50 per bundle) = N800

Lol, I am N800 richer straight from my garden farm.

8 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:29pm On Jun 07, 2017
1kinggy:

So sorry to see the flood wiping away your tomatoes. Farmibg/gardening is not for the weak at heart.

Thanks. Perseverance is the key.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:39pm On Jun 07, 2017
Cherie04:
Hello op, I'm really inspired by your work, I'm also about to start planting ugu I. E the fluted pumpkin and maize on one acre of land, I won't be dividing my ugu seeds like you because it's my first time. Pls can you give me some tips you think I would need? Thanks in anticipation

Thanks for the follow up. There are lots of articles available to you both on nairaland and the web at large. My advice from me to you is, make use of them and never hesitate to consult.
For me, these few tips may come in handy;

1. Your source of ugu seed (Calabar or Portharcourt)/ go for hybrid Corn seeds.
2. Land preparations (Know your soil/farmland). Most of us skip this part. Do a quick soil test, it is very advisable if you are to go into commercial farming. Compensate for what's lacking (manure/fertilizer compensation)
3. Prepare for Pests and Diseases
4. And finally, never be discouraged.

I could point you to some sites if u don't mind.

All the best. Can't wait to get updates from your farm.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:44pm On Jun 07, 2017
oyetpel:

Its a fine loamy soil.

Just a quick one, in as much as the land looks good and nourished, pls remember, Corns are heavy feeders and you have to constantly make up for this if you are to get the best out of your Corn farm. A little manuring won't do any harm or simple use urea' fertilizer (though there is a technique to its application to minimise it loss)

Thanks. Awaiting update from your Corn farm

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 9:46pm On Jun 07, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 51: (The Lagos spinach harvest)

It's been rain rain rain all day. I have virtually disposed/removed all my Tomato plants. They all at last succumbed to the heavy rainfalls, except for those planted in sacks. They are currently doing perfectly well.

Nevertheless, it's not all bad news on the farm, I did some harvesting today. Hurraaaaay!!! I was able to harvest my Lagos spinach and I sold everything. It wasn't much but at least it felt good.

Lagos spinach plant sold.
Quantiy (16 bundles sold) @ N50 per bundle) = N800

Lol, I am N800 richer straight from my garden farm.

Interesting, who do you sell to?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 10:47pm On Jun 07, 2017
Cherie04:

I will suggest that you start with a plot of land as a beginner, master few techniques before expanding to one acre.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by babythug(f): 11:22am On Jun 09, 2017
Shame to bad people!!! grin grin

Our roots have sprouted oh

CC: Ndbc

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by pdozie: 6:16pm On Jun 09, 2017
jidestroud:

5. Later on checked the Agricultural institute in Badagry, Ikoga (Pota, hope I got that right)

Goodnews though, I was able to place an order for the product online (alibaba) through the help of a friend. Will be updating with pictures when it arrives, can't wait.
Also, placed an order for strawberry seeds, (I just hope I ain't over exploiting my garden dreams)

Please the LASU road u referred to, is it still along the badagry Express or the in-road from LASU to Igando?
Just want to know how to locate the place because I want to also buy so stuffs like NPKin paint buckets plus other farm materials.

If I stop at Iyana Oba, how do I get to the place and how do I get to Alaba Rago too from there

Well-done bro
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:54pm On Jun 09, 2017
pdozie:

Please the LASU road u referred to, is it still along the badagry Express or the in-road from LASU to Igando?
Just want to know how to locate the place because I want to also buy so stuffs like NPKin paint buckets plus other farm materials.

If I stop at Iyana Oba, how do I get to the place and how do I get to Alaba Rago too from there

Well-done bro

It's the in-road from LASU to igando. When you get to iyanaba, take a walk down as if you are going to igando. When you get to where the buses make a U-turn back to igando road, ask anybody where they sell agricultural seeds and products there, you would be directed to the very spot. You can't miss it.

You could try Alaba too, it's a more bigger market there

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2017
babythug:
Shame to bad people!!! grin grin

Our roots have sprouted oh

CC: Ndbc

Lol...glad to see the roots finally appearing.
Kudos.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by pdozie: 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
jidestroud:

It's the in-road from LASU to igando. When you get to iyanaba, take a walk down as if you are going to igando. When you get to where the buses make a U-turn back to igando road, ask anybody where they sell agricultural seeds and products there, you would be directed to the very spot. You can't miss it.

You could try Alaba too, it's a more bigger market there

Oh thanks. I appreciate bro
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:56pm On Jun 13, 2017
Day 57: (Beetles Infestation)

It's been a very busy week on my garden. Recently, a new development sprung up on my Corn plants. My Corn kept losing its ears every morning so tonight I decided to keep watch. Lo and behold, This is what I saw; beetles beetles beetles, a very scary sight.

Any suggestions in getting rid of these pests is highly welcomed. As of tonight, I have already hand-picked about 60 of the insects.

Help needed ASAP.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.