Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,139 members, 7,780,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:06 AM

Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July (12870 Views)

Lagos Seeks To Reduce Numbers Of Cars On Roads / Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway / Diesel And Petrol Vehicles May Be Banned In The Next 10 Years In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by AutoJoshNG: 11:49am On Apr 15, 2017
The Standards Organisation of Nigeria {SON}, in conjunction with the National Automotive Design and Development Council {NADDC}, has announced a mandatory reduction in the sulphur content of petroleum fuels available in the Nigerian market
The regulatory agencies have, therefore, directed that effective from July 1, 2017, diesel fuel {or automotive gas oil, AGO}, petroleum {premium motor spirit, PMS}, and household kerosene, sold to consumers must not have sulphur content exceeding the permissible level.

A statement issued by the Director-General and CEO of NADDC, Engr. Aminu Jalal, explained that SON took the measure in recognition of the fact that sulphur in fuels is as harmful to the environment as it is to the engines during combustion. “Sulphur in petroleum fuels results in vehicle exhaust emissions that have negative health and environmental impacts. Harmful emission-reducing technologies in vehicles also require low Sulphur fuels to be effective,” Jalal stated.

He said the decision was reached following consultations by SON with relevant stakeholders, including the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation {NNPC} and its subsidiary, the DPR {Department of Petroleum Resources}.

The Director-General disclosed that from July 1, all diesel fuel in the country should have maximum sulphur levels of 50 parts per million (ppm), while petrol should have maximum sulphur levels of 150 ppm. Household Kerosene (HHK), he added, must not exceed Sulphur levels of 150 ppm.

He explained further that petroleum fuels that have high sulphur levels generate directly high emission levels in automotive engines: “Such vehicle emissions contain high level of toxic pollutants, such as benzenes and particulates that have negative impacts on human health and on the environment. Technically, modern vehicles require fuels that meet high quality standards for a more efficient operation of their engines:

It is expected that all petroleum products imported into the country or refined locally from July 1, will have the prescribed low sulphur content.

https://autojosh.com/sulphur-content/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by Aonkuuse(m): 12:31pm On Apr 15, 2017
Okay
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by baylord101(m): 12:31pm On Apr 15, 2017
But will that reduce the prices also?

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by kunlesmiles(m): 1:51pm On Apr 15, 2017
Sulphur emission is a serious issue, all over d world,it is a step in d right direction,but sincerely dis Sulphur limits for petroleum products are still too high wen compared to d acceptable limits in America and Europe.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by mykeljosef: 7:10am On Apr 16, 2017
meanwhile somewhere in Edo

biko chief-priest does the move affect us??

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by menstrualpad: 7:11am On Apr 16, 2017
No credible source
How you make front-page with less than four comments is intriguing.... Hmmm no wonder Nairaland is now getting very dry
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by lonelydora: 7:15am On Apr 16, 2017
Story... Simple E10 (10% ethanol in every petrol) project we couldn't sustain, na dis one dem go do?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by jbkomo(m): 7:17am On Apr 16, 2017
Electric vehicles is stl d solution
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by oyekola: 7:19am On Apr 16, 2017
Is sulphur an adultery content to AGO, PMS and HHK? If yes, why can't they remove it completely
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by paskyboy: 7:20am On Apr 16, 2017
Nigeria is a dumping ground, this whites dey cheat us, our greedy Leaders won't allow things be the right way

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by Nobody: 7:21am On Apr 16, 2017
Did they appoint a new SON director? I wonder why this gra gra?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by sakalisis(m): 7:23am On Apr 16, 2017
cool
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by freeze001(f): 7:27am On Apr 16, 2017
How is this going to happen? Will d directive be implemented at the point if import or are we going to re-refine imported petroleum products before sale?

This would have been easier if this dead zine had got its act right enough to ensure sufficient domestic production of petroleum products but since import the powers that be are in love with detrimental imports...

We shall see how it happens.
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by Teewhy2: 7:38am On Apr 16, 2017
Is not sulphur content alone they need to review, most fuel brought into Nigeria evaporates/dry up so fast they should look the things that causes this.
This can be easily controlled when our refineries are working or else we will left with few choices

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by klassd(m): 7:39am On Apr 16, 2017
Removal of sulphur otherwise known as de-sweetning process. Its a good idea too much sulphur is useless.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by Rilwan20(m): 7:39am On Apr 16, 2017
But Nigerian Oil is considered to be sweet oil(sulphur free) then why this enforcement again? I think if we have been refining our oil in Nigeria there won't be need to be worried about the sulphur content in the oil. But when you have greedy, selfish and simpleton minded in the helm of affairs of a Nation, you shouldn't be expecting anything less.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by klassd(m): 7:40am On Apr 16, 2017
freeze001:
How is this going to happen? Will d directive be implemented at the point if import or are we going to re-refine imported petroleum products before sale?

This would have been easier if this dead zine had got its act right enough to ensure sufficient domestic production of petroleum products but since import the powers that be are in love with detrimental imports...

We shall see how it happens.

Dear its very simple, all they will do is issue the producing the new specification of oil and the process will be optimized.
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by abescom: 7:41am On Apr 16, 2017
Idiots. So they are just knowing now.
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by houstonia(m): 7:41am On Apr 16, 2017

I'm not an engineer but i smell something fishy. Who knows? sulphur might actually be a preservative against easy evaporation and exhaust, but they wont let us know.
Now they want our fuel to be finishing quicker than normal.
Quoters dont blame me o, its just that my country have neverdone anything good for me, they only implement laws that favour the high and mighty. First was electricity and then Data, now its sulphur. Make una just leave the sulphur where eh dey jor.
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by klassd(m): 7:42am On Apr 16, 2017
Rilwan20:
But Nigerian Oil is considered to be sweet oil(sulphur free) then why this enforcement again? I think if we have been refining our oil in Nigeria there won't be need to be worried about the sulphur content in the oil. But when you have greedy, selfish and simpleton minded in the helm of affairs of a Nation, you shouldn't be expecting anything less.

Bonnylight crude. It theirs a possibility that the Nigerian crude oil is mixed with others during the process of refining

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by freeze001(f): 7:43am On Apr 16, 2017
klassd:

Dear its very simple, all they will do is issue the producing the new specification of oil and the process will be optimized.

Please rephrase, didn't quite make out what u intended to say. Issue to whom and optimised by whom?
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by klassd(m): 7:46am On Apr 16, 2017
freeze001:

Please rephrase, didn't quite make out what u intended to say. Issue to whom and optimised by whom?

lol sowi just realised the typo in my statement. What I meant to say is that the importers will have to instruct the refineries involved in the processing of the max. amount of sulphur that the can have in the finished products
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by Rilwan20(m): 7:53am On Apr 16, 2017
klassd:

Bonnylight crude. It theirs a possibility that the Nigerian crude oil is mixed with others during the process of refining

Perhaps if you are refining your petroleum in Nigerian there won't be any chance of mixing. I doubt if we are even using our own oil.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by MidasTouche01(m): 8:04am On Apr 16, 2017
The whites take our sweet crude and give us refined petrol fill of sulphur.... sulphur causes the fumes to b peppery to the eyes...
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by pricipal2003(m): 8:06am On Apr 16, 2017
See foolish people o. Dem just wake up as regards sulphur content in petroleum products ni!. Anyway, good morning to them and I hope they are able to enforce it as stated

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by Chukwuemeka007(m): 8:42am On Apr 16, 2017
This was my undergraduate research topic. "Experimental Investigations and Optimization on the Effect of Different Activated Carbons and Process Parameters on the Desulphurization of Diesel Oil".

It was an Eye-opener and I learnt a lot during that period. Though it was time and resource consuming.

A dosage of 1.2g of acid activated palm kernel shell activated carbon, time of 15mins and temperature of 60°C gave the optimum sulphur removal from 12.125mg/ml to 3.375mg/ml.

This process is less expensive and kinda more efficient and easy to carry out when compared to industrial HDS (Hydro Desulphurization).

I Rep ChE FUTO!

Oya o....Oga SON and NADDC comman hire me cool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by sagitariusbaby(m): 8:43am On Apr 16, 2017
oyekola:
Is sulphur an adultery content to AGO, PMS and HHK? If yes, why can't they remove it completely

You try
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by persius555(m): 9:47am On Apr 16, 2017
Chukwuemeka007:
This was my undergraduate research topic. "Experimental Investigations and Optimization on the Effect of Different Activated Carbons and Process Parameters on the Desulphurization of Diesel Oil".

It was an Eye-opener and I learnt a lot during that period. Though it was time and resource consuming.

A dosage of 1.2g of acid activated palm kernel shell activated carbon, time of 15mins and temperature of 60°C gave the optimum sulphur removal from 12.125mg/ml to 3.375mg/ml.

This process is less expensive and kinda more efficient and easy to carry out when compared to industrial HDS (Hydro Desulphurization).

I Rep ChE FUTO!

I can bet my money that your project report is somewhere in the dustbin of history. Welcome to Nigeria. A country where voodooism and superstition is highly reverred than pactical knowledge

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by kunlesmiles(m): 10:46am On Apr 16, 2017
Rilwan20:
sweet crude still contains sulphur compounds,jst dat dey ar present in small quantities,organic sulphur compounds are d most difficult to remove,cos they av low reactivities with the catalyst used in hydrodesulphurization,
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by ransomed: 10:50am On Apr 16, 2017
Thumb up to Sewage and Air Emission Management Division of Pollution Control and Environmental Health for this policy. SAE rocks.
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by kunlesmiles(m): 10:52am On Apr 16, 2017
Chukwuemeka007:

I Rep ChE FUTO!

nice one bro,i also worked on absorptive desulphurization using silver nanoparticles assisted adsorbents,dey performed better than ur adsorbents,but would not be able to go into specifics because am still waiting for it to be published.
Re: Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July by R0LL0N(m): 11:23am On Apr 16, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
The Standards Organisation of Nigeria {SON}, in conjunction with the National Automotive Design and Development Council {NADDC}, has announced a mandatory reduction in the sulphur content of petroleum fuels available in the Nigerian market
The regulatory agencies have, therefore, directed that effective from July 1, 2017, diesel fuel {or automotive gas oil, AGO}, petroleum {premium motor spirit, PMS}, and household kerosene, sold to consumers must not have sulphur content exceeding the permissible level.

A statement issued by the Director-General and CEO of NADDC, Engr. Aminu Jalal, explained that SON took the measure in recognition of the fact that sulphur in fuels is as harmful to the environment as it is to the engines during combustion. “Sulphur in petroleum fuels results in vehicle exhaust emissions that have negative health and environmental impacts. Harmful emission-reducing technologies in vehicles also require low Sulphur fuels to be effective,” Jalal stated.

He said the decision was reached following consultations by SON with relevant stakeholders, including the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation {NNPC} and its subsidiary, the DPR {Department of Petroleum Resources}.

The Director-General disclosed that from July 1, all diesel fuel in the country should have maximum sulphur levels of 50 parts per million (ppm), while petrol should have maximum sulphur levels of 150 ppm. Household Kerosene (HHK), he added, must not exceed Sulphur levels of 150 ppm.

He explained further that petroleum fuels that have high sulphur levels generate directly high emission levels in automotive engines: “Such vehicle emissions contain high level of toxic pollutants, such as benzenes and particulates that have negative impacts on human health and on the environment. Technically, modern vehicles require fuels that meet high quality standards for a more efficient operation of their engines:

It is expected that all petroleum products imported into the country or refined locally from July 1, will have the prescribed low sulphur content.

https://autojosh.com/sulphur-content/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Just pass through a sulphuric BRT Bus now

(1) (2) (Reply)

Small Cars: Advantages And Disadvantages / As A Car Mechanic, What Is The Most Strange Faults You Have Found On An Car? / 9 Facts You Need To Know About Your Car VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.