Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage (42543 Views)

Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng / Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Emekayoung(m): 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2017
Wat do i do. My baby boy dries up oil within 2 weeks after servicing. I use mobil XHP 20w 50. Though the engine does not smoke. And i always see vapour coming out of the exhaust tail wen ever i start the car in the morning or wen it's raining. Pls u guys shuld help me out...
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by mayor2013: 12:21pm On Apr 15, 2017
Emekayoung:
Wat do i do. My baby boy dries up oil within 2 weeks after servicing. I use mobil XHP 20w 50. Though the engine does not smoke. And i always see vapour coming out of the exhaust tail wen ever i start the car in the morning or wen it's raining. Pls u guys shuld help me out...

Yout engine doesn't smoke? Let a professional confirm that
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Emekayoung(m): 1:38am On Apr 16, 2017
mayor2013:

Yout engine doesn't smoke? Let a professional confirm that
It doesn't smoke o. Wat do i do?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Emekayoung(m): 7:52pm On Apr 16, 2017
Pls any solution?
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Lexusgs430: 5:40am On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:
Pls any solution?

After you have topped up the engine oil, while vehicle is parked, place a brown cut cardboard underneath the bonnet on the floor(to check for any external leaks)..
If it's not leaking externally, then it's leaking internally and exiting through your exhaust pipes (does your rear bumper feel oily)?
I would think after all this checks, it points towards head gasket leak................

10 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by honmusa(m): 7:10am On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:
"My engine is shorting oil and is not smoking but instead is water that come out of the exhaust pipe indicating my engine is still ok ""
I get this statement alot from my customer in similar situation. And by the time I just rev the car once @ idle ,the whole neighborhood is already filled with white smoke coming from the exhaust.
Get somebody to check the colour of exhaust coming out from the tailpipe while u rev the car.Your engine is definitely smoking especially if u have been using a wrong oil .You need somebody to confirm this smoking for u while your rev the car .
That water that come out from your exhaust doesn't mean anything ,it just a product of condensation that has occurred overnight , a normal thing for all engine wether smoking or not!!!
Save towards getting a tokunbo engine and desist from using Mobil XHP ,it is a wrong oil .
In case u a still not convinced that your engine is smoking ,if you are in Lagos u can come to my workshop @ Gbagada for diagnosis of your engine compression.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Kalman(m): 7:23am On Apr 18, 2017
The engine is burning oil because the motor oil is entering the combustion chamber. It will usually enter from two possible sources. Worn out piston rings and or oil leaks from the top of the valves. Unfortunately for you, non is an easy fix. However if you have to verify this, open the air intake manifold and you'd surely see some oil residue in it.
The Automobile engine is suppose to be air tight with air getting in and out through the appropriate channels just as would be with the human body. If there is any leakage in the human body inform of a piercing or a wound.. you'll fall short on blood and would need topping up by drips..
Same thing is what you have here. Your engine has clearances somewhere and when parked hot would lead to oil evaporation in tiny bits until eventually oil shorts out.
I stand to be corrected anyways.

22 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by swissobed: 7:25am On Apr 18, 2017
engine can still bring vapour and nt smoking but bad already
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by swissobed: 7:25am On Apr 18, 2017
or u try another oil product

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by hazyfm1: 7:27am On Apr 18, 2017
mayor2013:

Your engine doesn't smoke? Let a professional confirm that

seconded
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by coalcoal1(m): 7:27am On Apr 18, 2017
I'm here to learn

3 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by kingreign(m): 7:29am On Apr 18, 2017
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by martineverest(m): 7:29am On Apr 18, 2017
thats is y they say there is nothing like perfect or ideal system in mechanical engineering..its just an assumption

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Mopolchi: 7:29am On Apr 18, 2017
coalcoal1:
I'm here to learn
even me

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by gidjah(m): 7:30am On Apr 18, 2017
that engine is already weak, or most definitely ; a serious internal or external leakage .get your mech into doing a through check.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Harwoyeez(m): 7:30am On Apr 18, 2017
Something is definitely wrong with your engine..I'll suggest u first conduct physical check's on ur engine to check for leakage from oil seal, ur oil drains n so on but before any work is done after thorough checks, diagnosis is the first option
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 18, 2017
get a mechanic to check it out.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by muller101(m): 7:31am On Apr 18, 2017
sorry its spritual leakage.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by lokito: 7:33am On Apr 18, 2017
Your piston rings are weak and needs replacement.
Also confirm that your plugs soak oil too
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Dottore: 7:35am On Apr 18, 2017
Baby boy again
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by ochardbaby(m): 7:39am On Apr 18, 2017
The same thing on my Porsche Cayenne oh
First I changed it with 2 Gallons of Mobile 1

After about a week another 2 gallons...... I have changed the plugs twice.

Was wondering why?

Hopefully the geeks in the house can advise.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Larrywax2016: 7:39am On Apr 18, 2017
Please, what is the wright oil to use for all these cars?
honmusa:

"My engine is shorting oil and is not smoking but instead is water that come out of the exhaust pipe indicating my engine is still ok ""
I get this statement alot from my customer in similar situation. And by the time I just rev the car once @ idle ,the whole neighborhood is already filled with white smoke coming from the exhaust.
Get somebody to check the colour of exhaust coming out from the tailpipe while u rev the car.Your engine is definitely smoking especially if u have been using a wrong oil .You need somebody to confirm this smoking for u while your rev the car .
That water that come out from your exhaust doesn't mean anything ,it just a product of condensation that has occurred overnight , a normal thing for all engine wether smoking or not!!!
Save towards getting a tokunbo engine and desist from using Mobil XHP ,it is a wrong oil .
In case u a still not convinced that your engine is smoking ,if you are in Lagos u can come to my workshop @ Gbagada for diagnosis of your engine compression.

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by honmusa(m): 7:42am On Apr 18, 2017
Larrywax2016:
Please, what is the wright oil to use for all these cars?
The required grade or viscosity of the oil is usually written on the oil filler cap .For most modern cars from 1997-2007 always required 5w30 grade of oil .For Mobil brands,It is Mobil 1

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by MARKone(m): 7:45am On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:

Before I opened this thread, I already knew it's Honda. Op most complain on Honda cars, especially Accords, is this oil consumption. Same thing I'm currently facing with my EOD. Anyway, I've been told and from my research online, that it is faulty Rings.

5 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by honmusa(m): 7:49am On Apr 18, 2017
ochardbaby:
The same thing on my Porsche Cayenne oh
First I changed it with 2 Gallons of Mobile 1

After about a week another 2 gallons...... I have changed the plugs twice.

Was wondering why?

Hopefully the geeks in the house can advise.
Apart from physical external leak , u can definitely have internal leak which can be from leaking valve seal ,or worn piston rings.To confirm which one u likely have ,go for compression diagnosis test .
u can get this diagnose test done in any reputable well- equiped autorepair centre or if you are in Lagos,call autologic @ 08061166316 in Gbagada for this test.
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Rawlings120(m): 7:53am On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:
I had similar problem ...don't bother wasting a dim drying to fix anything ... I even went as far changing all my oil seals, still same thing, the engine is getting weak... if you are in lag call me Lemmi link you up with someone who will pick yours, you add up some money and he gives you a new sound one on affordable price. 07068348931.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by potent5(m): 7:56am On Apr 18, 2017
Dottore:
Baby boy again
You don tire for baby boys? In that case, I prophecy baby girl for you.

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by richeeyo(m): 7:59am On Apr 18, 2017
Look for oil in the coolant as well. That's a sure sign of a blown head gasket. Wait until the engine is cool and pop off the radiator cap and look there. It doesn't always make it back into the overflow container.
And their could also mean a problem with cooling
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by Kakamorufu(m): 7:59am On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:
does your engine release sooty smoke or thick smoke? if yes, go change the piston rings and the cylinder head gasket
Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by phemmy88(m): 8:01am On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:

Exactly the same issue I'm facing . .....same baby boy o grin

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by honmusa(m): 8:02am On Apr 18, 2017
MARKone:

Before I opened this thread, I already knew it's Honda. Op most complain on Honda cars, especially Accords, is this oil consumption. Same thing I'm currently facing with my EOD. Anyway, I've been told and from my research online, that it is faulty Rings.
It is not about Honda issue at all infact Camry muscle have this issue as factory defect ,this is more aboit maintaince issue .This is what u will get if you don't have a good engine maintance culture and the right information .

3 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage by shellworker: 8:04am On Apr 18, 2017
Emekayoung:

OP if there is no external leakage from your car engine, then there is nothing wrong with the car; it is normal. I use Toyota Camry and in the car manual I read a clause that says, car oil could short in gauge over time depending on usage. In this case the oil should be topped to gauge.

If the shortage does not happen within a short time after regular usage, then it's normal. But if the occurrence is rapid even when the vehicle is not used often, then I will advise u contact your mechanic.

Also note that after car oil change, the oil could drop in gauge when driven. After oil change, do your oil gauging in the morning to top oil.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Pours Washer Fluid Instead Of Oil Into Engine, See What Happened / Abandoned Ferrari In Ibadan Is Not A real Ferrari But A Kit Car.picture Included / Celebrity Kids And Their Cars (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.