Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,107 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Omo Elu Iju Akure-North - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Omo Elu Iju Akure-North (35128 Views)

My Trip To Akure, The Capital Of Ondo State (pictures, Video) / Lagos-Ibadan Free Train Ride: After Low Patronage Passengers Besiege Iju Station / This Is Iju Train Station, Agege, Lagos! (see PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 5:37pm On Apr 15, 2017
Things you should know about Iju Town
As we Tour Iju.There is no doubt that Iju land is rich and blessed with culture and tradition, therefore, it's imperative to keep ourselves abreast with the history of the land.

Proudly Omo Iju

We are Iju people from Ondo state

Omo Iju

This forum is to allow the natives of Iju town, Akure North LGA, Ondo State, Nigeria meet and share Ideas and information together on this platform to develop our mind by sharing educative and productive post /comments on this platform to make a positive change in our lives and community.

Aim and Objectives:
• To build a strong network and promote better relationship among ourselves.

• To promote peace and unity among the Iju indigenes.

• To help/promote our skills, talents and gift.

• To promote better image of Iju worldwide.

• Create awareness about our community and live together peacefully with our neighbours

I.P.U /worldwide /PROUDLYomoIJU

https://m.facebook.com/PROUDLYomoIJU/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 7:11pm On Apr 15, 2017
Akure, ... (The Olotas) and (The Okitis) of Iju Kingdom..... Saying how We her children praise her. Iya mi abeni ade, Omo ola to njeyin awo.

Omo Owa, Omo Ekun

OMO EKUN

“Omo owa, omo ekun, omo iku pani ho dare hun”. These are few among your oriki as an Akure. Have you imagine as an Akure why you are been refer to as ‘omo ekun’.This is what ‘ll be discuss in this post.

Oral tradition states that Akure was founded by a Prince named Omoremi Omoluabi, son of Ekun (this was his regnal name). and grandson of Oduduwa Omoluabi, the royal progenitor of the Yoruba tribe. The Prince left Ile-Ife, his grandfather’s kingdom, in search of a place to settle after passing a strict test administered by Oduduwa himself. This test wherein he was kept in solitude for about nine (9) days is still annually commemorated in Akure today by the reigning king of the town during a ceremony known as ‘ilesunta’ when they will use the term ‘oba wo ilesunta’ At the point where the prince and his party arrived at the exact location of the modern city, the string holding the heavy royal beads on his neck is said to have snapped, thus causing the people to exclaim “Àkún mi rę” (or The beads have snapped), this later becoming the name of the settlement they established on the site. Over time, the phrase was wittled down through its constant use to become Akure.

Omoremi is said to have hunted with his entourage while on his way from Ile Ife. He arrived in Akure and was proclaimed the Person who hunted and arrived with royalty, i.e., Asodeboyede, (the statue in front of old Palace is that of the Asodeboyede).

Originally, the kings of Akure that were born of Omoremi, the Asodeboyede were referred to as Ajapada. The titleDeji of Akure started with Oba Arakale, whose father took the daughter of Oba Atakumosa, the Owa of Ijeshaland as one of his wives while the latter was on his way to Benin. By the time Oba Atakumosa was returning to Ilesha from the pilgrimage, his daughter Owawejokunhad given birth to a son. While other dignitaries gave the little baby common gifts, Oba Atakumosa was said to have presented his grandson with a small diadem. Owafadeji i.e., Owa gave him a diadem or royal crown became the nickname of the young boy, and by the time he reached his adulthood it had become his de facto name. When Owafa’Deji became Oba, the appellation assumed a titular importance and because of his prominence as an Oba, subsequent Obas or kings assumed the title while the advent of the modern era has formally made Deji the official title of the Obas of Akure. However, the original title of Ajapada has remained a significant part of the Deji’s ceremonial style till the present day.

Omo Owa (the son of Owawejokun), Omo Ekun (son of Ekun the grandson of Oduduwa) is this reason why every descendant of the Akure has been addressed as Omo Ekun during the recitation of his or her praise poetry or, alternatively, as ‘Omo Akure Oloyemekun’, since Omoremi was said to have stayed for a while at Igbo Ooye before coming to the Akure region.

6 Likes

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Toluobaeko11: 11:33pm On Apr 20, 2017
Can someone please tell us the history of Iju? I've never seen it anywhere.
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 7:38am On Apr 21, 2017
Toluobaeko11:

Stay tune.

Are u from Iju?

Things you should know about Iju Town
As we Tour Iju.There is no doubt that Iju land is rich and blessed with culture and tradition, therefore, it's imperative to keep ourselves at breast with the history of the land.

ELU IJU wrote-----. .(1):Odun ina(ina festival)belong to Iseri,imun and ijigbo quarters right in dos day's (2)the exact date was not recorded,history revealed that the festival was from the origin/source"lati igba ki uju ti tedo"(3)according to history the quarters that are celebrating Odun eegun during our "4 Fathers " in old days before some quarters and some chief's er now celebrating their masquerade.(eegun festival)are originated for Igboogun and Oke Iju.History further made us understand that Igboogun quarter owns their eegun which they usually celebrate right from the source,while Oke Iju quarter too have their eegun, source revealed,in the beginning all chiefs in Iju always join Oke Iju to celebrate their Odun Eegun but today in Iju,almost every quarters are celebrating Odun eegun due to some reasons we can't tell a lot about many secret behind those histories
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Toluobaeko11: 1:06am On Apr 22, 2017
Yeah! I'm a typical Iju guy cos my dad and mum is from there, and I do go once in a while. I've always been curious about the history, although I know my family history from the odo Imu clan.
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2017
Toluobaeko11:
Yeah! I'm a typical Iju guy cos my dad and mum is from there, and I do go once in a while. I've always been curious about the history, although I know my family history from the odo Imu clan.

Wow!
I will interview the elders and get history from them.
I will be in Iju this coming week. Hoping to tour the area, my family house is close to the former palace

Hoping we meet someday in Iju
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 8:22pm On Apr 26, 2017
HRH. Oba Agboola Omolewo.
Okiti Omo-ope of Iju.

Most pronounced & celebrated Oba

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 8:31pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hon Kola omoloju
Explaining how Cocoa is being processed
Oil....

2 Likes

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 8:36pm On Apr 26, 2017
Garri processing
Iju is rich

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
(1)H.R.H AMOS ADELAKUN FARUNKANMI(JP) AJIBGADE 1.The first Christian Oba in the history of iju.(2)Pa ADESINA facilitated establishment of Catholic church to Iju in 1925(3)The first veterinary doctor in Iju is Doctor ADELUYAN OGUNBUYIDE(4)The pioneer chairman of ondo state service commission is N.K ADAMOLEKUN,he hails from Iju(5)Many answers has be given on this particular question;according to the history,Iju is blessed with many vibrants hunters that ever killed wild animals E.G Elephant, lions,chimpanzees,Hippopotamus and many more ,we have the like of Chief Akogbona,Chief Aposeru,pa Ojo Ajana,also Ajana Akin, pa mojo and also during the reign of Oba Okiti Ajimekun,At list three(3)lions er killed during the reign of Oba Okiti Ajimekun period' in olding day's despite the fact that the King wasn't an hunter "olode" but we respect H.R.H Ajimekun for brave name.,they were all strong,vibrant and brave but Chief Sasere is the most powerful among them,because there was a time according to history one of the late DEJI OF Akure needed a live elephant to prepare a ritual for the development of Akure,they went to hired some hunters to help Akure get a live elephant but all effort in futility.its chief Sasere who hails from Elu Iju that went to elephant herd,and brought the elephant alive to the palace of Deji of Akure before the sacrifice could be made,Chief Sasere is the only hunter from Iju to have done so.

Source : ELU IJU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Olaskybab: 5:41am On Apr 27, 2017

1 Like

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by oluvick(m): 2:56pm On Apr 27, 2017
The place I am proud to call home!
Thanks for this..
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by oluvick(m): 3:04pm On Apr 27, 2017
I am from Iseeri street.
Omo 'lodo oja amon ni foranforan Omo uyan darigidi seyin
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Toluobaeko11: 6:59pm On Apr 27, 2017
That's really great of you, you're really doing a great job, for us the young generation. Please do more research on how the town was formed, where we came from and so on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 11:43pm On Apr 27, 2017
If you are visiting iju, you have to climb UGELE ROCK!!!!

The rock has been there, standing proud and tall from the days of our fathers.

Ontop the rock,you would see our great land of iju, in all its beauty.
The smile of the happy and satisfied farmer returning from his farm.
The laughter of our children as they run around and play.
The giggles of our mothers as they watch their children play.
The strength of our youth as they drive through.....and perhaps,another #ijuwife# as she takes pictures.

On the UGELE ROCK, you see our iju....
You see peace.
You feel peace.
You know peace.

2 Likes

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 12:03am On Apr 28, 2017

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 9:48am On Apr 28, 2017
Toluobaeko11:

The oldest and the head of the Ruling family (The Olotas)
He is Baba Ajipe

1 Like

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 11:05am On Apr 28, 2017
We have got 7 quarters in Iju

Watch out for Odun ina

1 Like

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Toluobaeko11: 9:06pm On Apr 28, 2017
For the first time in my life, I'm really coming alive about my darling town. This is really awesome!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Toluobaeko11: 9:10pm On Apr 28, 2017
rexericx:
If you are visiting iju, you have to climb UGELE ROCK!!!!

The rock has been there, standing proud and tall from the days of our fathers.

Ontop the rock,you would see our great land of iju, in all its beauty.
The smile of the happy and satisfied farmer returning from his farm.
The laughter of our children as they run around and play.
The giggles of our mothers as they watch their children play.
The strength of our youth as they drive through.....and perhaps,another #ijuwife# as she takes pictures.

On the UGELE ROCK, you see our iju....
You see peace.
You feel peace.
You know peace.

Source: Jovia
#IamANijuWIFE#

THIS IS PURELY POETIC!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by YonkijiSappo: 9:32pm On Apr 28, 2017
Lovely town with lovely people.
Generally, I love Ondo state peeps.

Oodua a gbe dede wa. smiley

8 Likes

Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by rexericx(m): 10:36pm On Apr 28, 2017
YonkijiSappo:
Ekitiland.

Iju Town
Oba is called okiti
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by lonelydora: 5:15pm On Apr 29, 2017
Ok
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by AkinPhysicist: 5:16pm On Apr 29, 2017
cool
cheesy
smiley
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 29, 2017
interesting
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 29, 2017
I'll think about it
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by sod09(m): 5:17pm On Apr 29, 2017
Nice history....I love histories
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by ekensi01: 5:18pm On Apr 29, 2017
Are all those aims and objectives active? please tell us lies that what is never going to work.
Re: Omo Elu Iju Akure-North by Boscojugunu(m): 5:18pm On Apr 29, 2017
Nice one. Ikare akoko next

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prospective Corper Survives Ghastly Accident In Kano On His Way To NYSC Camp / Ibadan: Completed 7.3 Km Agodi Gate-old Ife Road-adegbayi Junction(pics) / Accident Involving Tipper & A Bus Kills Many In Edo This Morning (Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.