Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,743 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA (32833 Views)

ACCA Pledges To Assist FG In Tackling Public Sector Accounting Gaps / 5 Reasons It Is Better To Work In Lagos Than Abuja / 5 Reasons Why ACCA Is Better Than ICAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by ontruth(m): 8:10am On Apr 16, 2017
Mysticluv:
True talk but ICAN is very hard 2 pass,it isnt meant 4 moi-moi students..it takes hard work,persistence,dedication n God's grace 2 pass at one or two sittings..
Happy Easter all!
isn't meant for Moi moi students? Na Pizza student it is meant for?
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 16, 2017
ednut1:
abegi. anan is a worthless exam.
It's a worthless exam yet ICAN partner with them to mention Acca doesn't operate here fully right. What would make ICAN to form alliance with them. Other countries have up to 3 professional bodies of accounting checkmating each other while Nigeria had being operating monopoly till ANAN came. Thank God Acca is teaching them some lessons now if not ICAN would just be milking Nigerians dry. One thing I like about ANAN is the fact that their programme is tailored to look like laws school for accounting graduates. No wonder any Tom and dick can just do ICAN and get anyway with it
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Reinvented: 8:24am On Apr 16, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Your assertion about ANAN is false. ANAN well recognised in the southern part of Nigeria too. It's just that most private organisation prefer ICAN to ANAN. ANAN has an academy like their counterparts in UK ICAEW and allows accounting graduates to study. Their school is similar to law school

Abegi wetin be ANAN? When birds are talking bat dey put mouth. ANAN is no better than HND in Accounting. Worthless seminar certificate. It is reserved for ICAN /ACCA/CIMA drop outs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by OlujobaSamuel: 8:32am On Apr 16, 2017
op, patro...?
who dey supervise all our stealings?
till all this money making ventures start checking their excesses, i see them all as criminals.
on other points stated, acca for me anyday
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by idee91: 8:37am On Apr 16, 2017
asuustrike2009:

It's a worthless exam yet ICAN partner with them to mention Acca doesn't operate here fully right. What would make ICAN to form alliance with them. Other countries have up to 3 professional bodies of accounting checkmating each other while Nigeria had being operating monopoly till ANAN came. Thank God Acca is teaching them some lessons now if not ICAN would just be milking Nigerians dry. One thing I like about ANAN is the fact that their programme is tailored to look like laws school for accounting graduates. No wonder any Tom and dick can just do ICAN and get anyway with it
On the contrary, its Even ANAN any tom and dick can 'fail' and get away with it. In as much as you've paid your fees, you're 90% qualified.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by cuteralph101(m): 9:00am On Apr 16, 2017
optimusmind:
There have been much discussion on which professional qualifications a person seeking a career path in accounting and finance should have.
While the ACCA is an international body with more recognition, there are certain reasons while one may chose to write ICAN over ACCA.
I hope to shed some light why it may be better to write ICAN instead ACCA.

1. Cost of examination.
The ACCA exams has always been more expensive than the ICAN exams, however with the recent increase in Dollars against naira, the fee is even higher than ever.
Currently the average price per course is £80 oughly N35000 and you may have to write up-to 3 courses per diet if you want to finish on time. ICAN, the maximum you'd ever pay is N70,000 and that is for the maximum number of courses ( 6 courses),other times you'd pay N40,000 to N55000 for all your courses. So if you have a slim budget, it may be in your advantage to write the ICAN exams.

2. Availability of Resources
For the ACCA exams, the resources at your disposal is someworth limited. Firstly, only few tuition houses are accredited to prepare students for the exams. Also, the study material has to be purchased online and paid for in pounds, another additional cost. For ICAN however, the resources needed are readily available online and offline. And there are a lot of books for purchase to make studies easier.

3. Statutory recognition.
In Nigeria presently, only ICAN and ANAN has been given the charter to audit reports. So despite having the ACCA qualification, you still cannot sign and approve financial statements unless you are a member of ICAN, which would mean you coming back to write the ICAN exams. I know there are a lot of exemptions. However, isn't it double cost if you still come back and pay for the same ICAN exams again? The basic advantage of ACCA is the recognition in the private sector. But in term of statutory audit, or even public sector, you still need ICAN to climb higher

4. Easier to pass
It is generally easier to sit for and pass ICAN. It is common to see individuals who seat for the ICAN exams and pass every thing in one sitting. Truth be told, ACCA is setting the standard which ICAN follow. So if your goal is to become a chartered accountant as soon as possible with lesser stress you are better of writing ICAN instead of ACCA.

5. Patriotism
We always complain our county is bad and not progressing, yet we constantly leave our home made things and go for foreign ones. These two bodies are serving the same purpose. Therefore, there's no need leaving the one of our mother land for preference for a foreign body. It pays to be patriotic and promote the affairs of our own country.

Conclusion
With the harmonization of accounting standard and Nigeria adopting IFRS, there is no difference between the two bodies. Basically they have Very similar course outline cutting through virtually the same area. The gap between the two bodies have greatly been closed. Also, ICAN is an international qualification and recognized in a lot of other countries.

Good luck in your career
can any other discipline aside Accounting enrol for ICAN?
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by scopio04(m): 9:10am On Apr 16, 2017
Pls if am a member of ICAN and i wish to convert to ACCA, will i start from the beginning or i will be given some exemptions for been an ICAN member.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by haibe(m): 9:26am On Apr 16, 2017
ednut1:
linus. i wrote ican but wished i wrote ACCA. acca is easier to pass abeg. as for resources ACCA beats ican hands down. some ican books and pathfinders dey will even put disclaimer that the solutions to questions der are d opinion of the author. in 2011 when i wrote PE1.i was unable to get the complete study packs as i was in ilorin den. abeg mk ican go sleep

@bolded in terms of what? If u are saying it is easier because materials are readily available, then i agree with you.. but when it comes to the quality of questions Acca examiners set, then forget it, they are ver much more technical than ICAN.. little wonder why Ican simply copy and paste several Acca questions. The last SFM exam in November contained a bunch of acca f9 financial management questions. This is the baby of Acca p4 advanced financial management

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by kunlexyfred(m): 9:30am On Apr 16, 2017
scopio04:
Pls if am a member of ICAN and i wish to convert to ACCA, will i start from the beginning or i will be given some exemptions for been an ICAN member.
U will be writing the last stage that comprises 5papers....... If an ACCA member wants to go for ICAN too, he/she has just 3papers to write
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by idee91: 9:31am On Apr 16, 2017
scopio04:
You don't need to convert. You can have both qualifications. I think you'll be required to take two papers with your ican qualification to get ACCA + a huge sum for all the exemptions.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by favelexzy(m): 9:32am On Apr 16, 2017
Pls with a Bsc in Mathematics can I still write ICAN/ACCA exams... I plan on diversifying for my Msc... #Evangel university
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by mhiztee15(f): 9:38am On Apr 16, 2017
can someone who studied agric economics apply for ACCA
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by cosade(m): 9:42am On Apr 16, 2017
nybol:
But ICAN is not recognized outside Nigeria

ICAN is internationally recognised, being a member body of the International Federation of Accountants.

https://www.ifac.org/about-ifac/membership/member-organizations-and-country-profiles?letter=N#members

Regulation of accountancy practice varies from country to country. ACCA holders cannot practice in Nigeria without being granted that privilege by a recognized accountancy body in Nigeria. In some countries, some professional accountancy bodies grant full exemption to ICAN members.

ICAN members with public sector experience are granted full exemption by CIPFA (UK).

http://www.cipfa.org/about-cipfa/press-office/archived-press-releases/2015-press-releases/cipfa-and-ican-sign-mou-to-advance-high-quality-public-financial-management-in-nigeria

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Osmondinho(m): 9:47am On Apr 16, 2017
please can someone with a degree in Art course qualified to register and write the ACCA and ICAN exams?
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by cosade(m): 10:36am On Apr 16, 2017
cuteralph101:
can any other discipline aside Accounting enrol for ICAN?

Any degree/HND from a recognised University/Polytechnic is acceptable.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by cosade(m): 10:36am On Apr 16, 2017
mhiztee15:
can someone who studied agric economics apply for ACCA

Yes
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 16, 2017
optimusmind:
There have been much discussion on which professional qualifications a person seeking a career path in accounting and finance should have.
While the ACCA is an international body with more recognition, there are certain reasons while one may chose to write ICAN over ACCA.

1. Cost of examination.
The ACCA exams has always been more expensive than the ICAN exams, however with the recent increase in Dollars against naira, the fee is even higher than ever.
Currently the average price per course is £80 oughly N35000 and you may have to write up-to 3 courses per diet if you want to finish on time. ICAN, the maximum you'd ever pay is N70,000 and that is for the maximum number of courses ( 6 courses),other times you'd pay N40,000 to N55000 for all your courses. So if you have a slim budget, it may be in your advantage to write the ICAN exams.

For the ACCA exams, the resources at your disposal is someworth limited. Firstly, only few tuition houses are accredited to prepare students for the exams. Also, the study material has to be purchased online and paid for in pounds, another additional cost. For ICAN however, the resources needed are readily available online and offline. And there are a lot of books for purchase to make studies easier.

In Nigeria presently, only ICAN and ANAN has been given the charter to audit reports. So despite having the ACCA qualification, you still cannot sign and approve financial statements unless you are a member of ICAN, which would mean you coming back to write the ICAN exams. I know there are a lot of exemptions. However, isn't it double cost if you still come back and pay for the same ICAN exams again? The basic advantage of ACCA is the recognition in the private sector. But in term of statutory audit, or even public sector, you still need ICAN to climb higher

4. Easier to pass
It is generally easier to sit for and pass ICAN. It is common to see individuals who seat for the ICAN exams and pass every thing in one sitting. Truth be told, ACCA is setting the standard which ICAN follow. So if your goal is to become a chartered accountant as soon as possible with lesser stress you are better of writing ICAN instead of ACCA.

5. Patriotism
We always complain our county is bad and not progressing, yet we constantly leave our home made things and go for foreign ones. These two bodies are serving the same purpose. Therefore, there's no need leaving the one of our mother land for preference for a foreign body. It pays to be patriotic and promote the affairs of our own country.

Conclusion
With the harmonization of accounting standard and Nigeria adopting IFRS, there is no difference between the two bodies. Basically they have Very similar course outline cutting through virtually the same area. The gap between the two bodies have greatly been closed. Also, ICAN is an international qualification and recognized in a lot of other countries.

Good luck in your career

I'm an undergraduate geography student. Can i write ICAN or ACCA after i graduate?
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by cosade(m): 10:41am On Apr 16, 2017
Perfectdanny:

I'm an undergraduate geography student. Can i write ICAN or ACCA after i graduate?

Any degree from a recognised University is acceptable.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by marylandcakes: 10:56am On Apr 16, 2017
I will choose ACCA over ICAN any day reason being the limitations of ICAN.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by marylandcakes: 10:57am On Apr 16, 2017
cosade:

Yes

Yes you can.
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by scobaba: 11:21am On Apr 16, 2017
I agree with you on Number 1. With the foreign exchange hike, ACCA is not an exam you want to writr and fail.

You are not Correct about no 2. You can buy materials from tuition houses, also ACCA is one exam you can get complete free text and hand outs on line. I wrote and passed P1 n P3 with just the free online material from opentuition.com

Statutory Recognition... You are correct if you want to go into full time audit. However most firms with International affiliation will always give kudos to those wih ACCA. I have ICAN, after i got my recent job with it, my finance manager ( a white) still advised me to go for ACCA as it would afford me the chance of Cross Country posting when there is space.

No 4: Easier to pass.... Is relative. In both exams, if you dont read hard and well, you will fail. I have friends who left Ican for Acca after failing Ican but still dint pass Acca and vice versa. Hard work is a factor common to both.

Finally Patriotism.... grin whateva that means when academics is concerned.
Its like telling me to choose between a scholarship to do masters in Harvard and another scholarship to do in UNiversity of Nigeria... Oga check am.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by shypo(m): 11:29am On Apr 16, 2017
mathy2p2:
Thanks so much for this paucity of information ,I pass my foundation last year preparing for next level
Planing to av my foundation level dis year, can u help me wit ur study pack and tips
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 16, 2017
Please I need Ican soft copy materials or study packs (text books and past questions) for professional level. Kindly send to confidenceconcept@gmail.com
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 16, 2017
Perfectdanny:

Yes, you can
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by Nobody: 12:43pm On Apr 16, 2017
nybol:
But ICAN is not recognized outside Nigeria
Once you have ICAN and move to another county, you'd be a good number of exemption when joining their own professional body. That's good recognition

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by diplomat058(m): 1:13pm On Apr 16, 2017
pls, can one who is ican-certified proceed for acca and be granted few exceptions?

Thanks
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by rapheasco(m): 3:18pm On Apr 16, 2017
i like dis write up
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by ciwi: 3:33pm On Apr 16, 2017
I'd love to see a thread one day on the advantages/benefits of Acca and Ican with respect to employment opportunities
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by ednut1(m): 4:23pm On Apr 16, 2017
diplomat058:
pls, can one who is ican-certified proceed for acca and be granted few exceptions?

Thanks
u get exempted from 9 papers nd write 5 papers. Bad news is u pay d exam fee for d 9 papers as exemption. Dats 75-110 pound in 9 places grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by 123sexnow: 5:21pm On Apr 16, 2017
i wonder

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by DonroxyII: 6:12pm On Apr 16, 2017
optimusmind:

1. Cost of examination.

4. Easier to pass

5. Patriotism

Conclusion

Good luck in your career
I would love to add procrastination ....
I told myself I would write ACCA n pass then secure enough exemptions in ICAN until I cudnt gathered enough money to write ACCA only for me to start writing ICAN now ....

Immediately I finish my ICAN, I will write ACCA/CIMA ....
Re: 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA by DonroxyII: 6:24pm On Apr 16, 2017
ednut1:
abegi. anan is a worthless exam.
u re funny o, the exam wry give my boss level 15 Na him worthless ?

it is worthy n highly relevant in public sector trust me !!!!

u must have been in Private sector all ur career !!!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bristow Helicopters Sacks 100 Pilots, Engineers / How To React If Your Boss always Slaps You For A Minor Mistake? / Woman Beats Up Her Boss With A Mop Stick For Sending Inappropriate Texts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.