Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah (15290 Views)

Here Are 11 Good Reasons Why Students Fail Jamb / 6 Reasons Why Students Fail Examination Despite Studying / Correct Utme And O'level Subjects Combination To Study Maths In UI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by AnthonyDgreat: 7:14am On Apr 17, 2017
The Chief Executive Officer at the National
Mathematical Centre (NMC), Prof. Stephen
Onah, has blamed dismal performance of
students in WAEC and NECO examinations in
successive years on unqualified teachers in
Mathematics.

Onah said this in an interview with the
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday
in Abuja.

He said that school proprietors draft non-
professional teachers into teaching senior
secondary students Mathematics for such
important examinations.

According to him, another factor
responsible for poor performance of
Nigerian students in Mathematics is the
high standards maintained by WAEC and
NECO with unqualified mathematics
teachers teaching the subject.

“The other factor is that because there are
no enough hands to train students in this
discipline persons from different areas of
study even outside science-based areas are
brought to teach the subject.

“Because the WAEC and NECO which are of
international standard will not lower their
standard because Nigeria has not enough
hands or qualified teachers to train its
students.

“They will always maintain their standard
and so if we are not living up to that
standard, that explains our poor
performances,’’ he said
The professor held the view that when the
number of teachers is not equal to that of
the students’ population effective teaching
becomes a problem.

He called for an increase in the incentives
given to mathematics teachers, saying lack
of motivation for teachers in critical
subjects such as Mathematics is very
common in nation’s system of education.

Onah lauded the efforts of the current
government at improving the quality and
methodology of teaching at the different
strata of education in the country, especially
primary and secondary schools.

The professor noted that there has been an
improvement in both quality and quantity
of teachers in Mathematics in the past two
years, but said a lot more can be done to
shore up students’ performances in WAEC
and NECO.

“This is because there is some recognition;
the teachers are beginning to see that they
are being recognised for their work and
they are putting in their very best.

“Again the centre in its own way has been
putting up programmes to facilitate the
teaching of mathematics,” he said.

He said the centre had developed
mathematics modules on how best the
subject should be taught and learned and
this would be used throughout primary and
secondary schools in the country.

“We have also produced a good number of
textbooks in their simplified form which, if
used or recommended at both the primary
and secondary levels the learning of the
subject would be better than what it is
now”, the professor said.

SOURCE: www.dailyschoolgist.com.ng/2017/04/why-students-fail-maths-in-waec-neco-prof-onah/

2 Likes

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by slizzyb(m): 7:17am On Apr 17, 2017
First time my comment make FP.... Come ooo is there any special benefit abt it
To the matter abt maths,,, I pass maths but don't get it A,,

1 Like

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by niceguy7(m): 7:30am On Apr 17, 2017
No be small thing.... .
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by RoyalBoutique(m): 7:31am On Apr 17, 2017
grin

Because making money is now easier than studying.

8 Likes

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by okotv(m): 7:31am On Apr 17, 2017
Schooling has lost it's savour jaree when bbn pays way better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by WachsComedy: 7:31am On Apr 17, 2017
Oyibo teacher and pidgin English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmuoC2N2Mo
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by maverickdude(m): 7:31am On Apr 17, 2017
grin
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by fran6co(m): 7:32am On Apr 17, 2017
k
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by osumak2: 7:32am On Apr 17, 2017
shocked
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by deebrain(m): 7:32am On Apr 17, 2017
I learnt more of maths when doing business or trying out a business strategy or even when making strategic betting decisions (lol).

In school, I was terrible. I basically paid my way to pass maths subjects! I was really bad. Any maths day was a bad school day for me. But English, wow. Government? Sweet. Even Accounting? Loved it. And our Maths teachers did like they were the forth members of the Trinity. Aside from the fact they were the teachers that knew how to flog, You dare not asked silly questions else you would either be flogged for stretching the class or jeered for being a dull brain.

And I ask... Why am I knowing it now when I'm through with schooling in business field and not when in school?

Many Maths teachers are blessed mathematicians but are not practical with their teaching. Everyday situations and decisions of life teach maths better than genius maths teachers in our schools! Any dullard will understand anything the moment you relate the issue to a personal incident. Eg. finance. All this "find X, find w"...without trying to relate it with something practical, will only make it theory.

We do some form of maths everyday. But I think that just as you develop and study English in practical (even though it's a theory based subject) to be able to communicate with others, rather than being a grammarian, Maths and it's study should be taught practically (and applied to an "off maths" issue) rather learning maths to come to nairaland and say "I sabi maths".

15 Likes

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by ironheart(m): 7:33am On Apr 17, 2017
Very true, i once knew a school where they had a teacher teaching 7 subject including mathematics, all the students had A's in his subjects
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by bounju(m): 7:35am On Apr 17, 2017
Prof. Omaha was my lecturer in school during my university days and if he can say this, then his right because if he lectures you, no devil can make you forget what he thought you. I celebrate you sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by surveyorng: 7:35am On Apr 17, 2017
That's very true. Most teachers I see recently don't really know maths. The other time I went through my twin daughters maths note I almost wept. I was able to detect errors because I know maths very well...

1 Like

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by VIPERVENOM(m): 7:36am On Apr 17, 2017
Reminds me back in the day in primary school when a new math teacher told us to convert two and a half into mixed fraction. We were like

The man changed it to an improper fraction and changed it back to d two and half. He got fired that same day

1 Like

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 17, 2017
He meant to say; “why students fail all exams”
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by RoyalBoutique(m): 7:37am On Apr 17, 2017
WachsComedy:

I just wasted my mb on this nonsense angry

May thunder deafen you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by guychidile: 7:39am On Apr 17, 2017
prof,you are right but a lot of students detest attaining mathematics classes.,this is the major cause

3 Likes

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by Nobody: 7:40am On Apr 17, 2017
ok
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by fhelihx(m): 7:42am On Apr 17, 2017
Especially when to have an old man that tell you stories as if maths is a subject you read, as your teacher
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by Nobody: 7:43am On Apr 17, 2017
WachsComedy:

WTF is this bulls-t? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by jonath0012(m): 7:46am On Apr 17, 2017
Well this is very true with the number of mushroom secondary schools we have around..How can Guidance and counseling graduate be teaching mathematics? that is how worst it has become. Our school administrators don't care about the quality of their teachers so far they just have someone their as figure head...
Another reason is too much workloads. how can a teacher be teaching mathematics, english, chemistry, physics and chemistry in the same school. of course there won't be effectiveness..well, if we like make we talk am tomorrow, they won't change..
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by Mypeople2(m): 7:47am On Apr 17, 2017
Na so.The question you should ask yourself is, are the students ready to learn ? The rate of malpractice in schools these days is very high.Sir, the students do not want to learn any more. I know of a school where a " not so bright " student passed all his papers ...in fact, he had 9/9 in WAEC when he was in SS2 .When his classmates saw his result,they refused to study again...that if this guy can pass all his papers, then they can pass their papers even while sleeping .

3 Likes

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by vale20: 7:52am On Apr 17, 2017
our secondary school students don't read, always pressing phone. Teachers beg students these days to enter class to learn.

3 Likes

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by Fourwinds: 7:53am On Apr 17, 2017
guychidile:
prof,you are right but a lot of students detest attaining mathematics classes.,this is the major cause
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by thesicilian: 7:56am On Apr 17, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

I just wasted my mb on this nonsense angry
May thunder deafen you.
Amen. Small mb wey I bin dey manage.
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by femi4: 8:05am On Apr 17, 2017
surveyorng:
That's very true. Most teachers I see recently don't really know maths. The other time I went through my twin daughters maths note I almost wept. I was able to detect errors because I know maths very well...
You are right, I do make corrections too almost every week.
Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by egefana(m): 8:07am On Apr 17, 2017
some students are just not mathematical inclined as my then further maths teachers use to say...

1 Like

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 17, 2017
Students don't see any incentive in learning mathematics. All of us when sabi maths like me how job market?

Teachers are not motivated to do more, cos oftentimes they're thinking how to make ends meet. I've taught Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, from secondary through, and post-NYSC. So I speak from experience.

Companies prefer to pay millions to 'entertainers' rather than celebrate brains, even in their companies. BBNaija just ended and someone took home a whopping 25m. Imagine putting up a tenth of that amount as price for a national mathematics competition?

I sat for a number of mathematics quizzes in my secondary school days. Till date no results. We were given notebooks for winning in quizzes. The highest price I recieved was an umbrella and some NNPC-branded notebooks for competition at the state level of NNPC national secondary school quiz competition. I even have a friends from my school who won the National competition but never got some of the supposed scholarship money.
Compare that to a person who goes on project fame and bags millions.

Put the blame where it belongs. The whole system needs a hard reset.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah by Icon4s(m): 8:29am On Apr 17, 2017
deebrain:
I learnt more of maths when doing business or trying out a business strategy or even when making strategic betting decisions (lol).

In school, I was terrible. I basically paid my way to pass maths subjects! I was really bad. Any maths day was a bad school day for me. But English, wow. Government? Sweet. Even Accounting? Loved it. And our Maths teachers did like they were the forth members of the Trinity. Aside from the fact they were the teachers that knew how to flog, You dare not asked silly questions else you would either be flogged for stretching the class or jeered for being a dull brain.

And I ask... Why am I knowing it now when I'm through with schooling in business field and not when in school?

Many Maths teachers are blessed mathematicians but are not practical with their teaching. Everyday situations and decisions of life teach maths better than genius maths teachers in our schools! Any dullard will understand anything the moment you relate the issue to a personal incident. Eg. finance. All this "find X, find w"...without trying to relate it with something practical, will only make it theory.

We do some form of maths everyday. But I think that just as you develop and study English in practical (even though it's a theory based subject) to be able to communicate with others, rather than being a grammarian, Maths and it's study should be taught practically (and applied to an "off maths" issue) rather learning maths to come to nairaland and say "I sabi maths".

Hahaha I feel you my brother.

You and I are two opposites.

I understand things better when they are put in mathematical terms.

I never had less than 'A' in maths from my SS1 down to Mat 101 and 102 in the University.

The problem for people who do not know maths starts from they running from the science class.
Then next they'll see maths as a subject that should only be taken serious by the science students.
Next also they hate the period for mathematics.
They also dislike the maths teacher added with the already lost interest in the subject they perform woefully.

We that were 'good' in maths then we're like Kings amongst our mates in school. Some hated us for it.

I was not the best maths student in my secondary school but I was among the best 10. We were just collecting A1 in maths like any how.

I took that even to University level where I also flogged maximum As.

I read Geology as first degree but Economics as Masters(Petroleum Economic).

My lecturer at MSc would say heaven and earth, I would just be waiting for him to put what he is saying in mathematical equation form. With that I will understand better and it sticks.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG To Withdraw Recognition Of Kenya, Uganda, Niger Varsities / When Is ASUU Calling Off The Strike? / A Nairalander Graduates/birthday(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.