Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think (13528 Views)

How Safe Is The Fingerprint Sensor On Your Phone / My Tecno Phantom 8 Unboxing — What's With The Fingerprint Magnet? / Which Phone Company First Brought The Fingerprint Technology To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 18, 2017
cry
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by hoover420: 8:36am On Apr 18, 2017
Please what is the need of fingerprint scanner when after a failed attempt at unlocking the phone, it will request for password undecided
Like even if I forget my phone at home, my friend can still access it since he knows my password or am I wrong?
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by Brizzy13(m): 8:57am On Apr 18, 2017
mikeycharles:
thank God I'm not using finger printing phones. those finger printing and toe printing are just gimmicks to make people buy expensive phones they don't actually need.
It is very secured
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by Brizzy13(m): 8:58am On Apr 18, 2017
hoover420:
Please what is the need of fingerprint scanner when after a failed attempt at unlocking the phone, it will request for password undecided
Like even if I forget my phone at home, my friend can still access it since he knows my password or am I wrong?
U are wrong
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by ollah2: 9:24am On Apr 18, 2017
Brizzy13:

It is very secured

Nope it isn't
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by scachy(m): 9:48am On Apr 18, 2017
I don't care about this technological jargons, but I know finger print is not as secured as password or lock pattern because if u r sleeping someone can place ur finger on your finger print censor and it will give the person access to ur phone
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by brightology3: 10:59am On Apr 18, 2017
maverickdude:
I still dey enjoy am on my note 3 for now.... i love fingerprint security because of it's simplicity,no need of typing long password everytime grin
how can I get the app
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by brightology3: 11:03am On Apr 18, 2017
Codedboy95:
I love using the fingerprint scanner on my phone. When I’m trying to pull up a recipe while cooking or have a drink in my hand, it makes getting into my phone simple while keeping it secure. But it seems that it may not be as secure as we think. The same way that people have been able to fool face-recognition sensors with facsimiles of faces, researchers have developed a set of “master” fingerprints – like a master key – that shows some flaws in the process.

Researchers at the University of Michigan have developed a set of fake digital fingerprints that put together the common features found in many fingerprints.

With these digital composites, the team was able to get matches 65 percent of the time in their simulation. This is just a simulation, and the New York Times says that experts think the process would be less successful in the real world, but it does still introduce a worry.

Matching snapshots

While no two fingerprints are exactly alike, there are patterns, and our phones read our prints by comparing them to snapshots of parts of our fingers. So the print stored on your phone is a bunch of tiny pieces of prints rather than a scan of a full print, and those little pieces have more similarity than total prints do.

Dr. Nasir Memon, a professor at NYU’s Tandon School of Engineering and one of three authors of the study, believes that if one could print a glove with the so-called MasterPrints on them, 40-50 percent of iPhones could be accessed within the 5 tries allowed before the password prompt pops up.

The potential ramifications of this will be hard to guess at until these studies start putting physical prints against physical phones, but Memon said the risk drops as you have fewer prints included on the phone. More prints stored means more snapshots and more potential matches.

There’s not much to worry about quite yet, but maybe our phones should have multi-factor authentication as well.

https://www.droid.ng/topic/130/the-fingerprint-reader-on-your-phone-may-not-be-as-secure-as-you-think/

seun Lalasticlala
can Samsung galaxy note 2 access the finger print
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by hoover420: 11:40am On Apr 18, 2017
Brizzy13:

U are wrong
Enlighten me please
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by UncleJudax(m): 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2017
mooregan:
My problem with Finger print is that while u r sleeping, someone will just carry your phone, lifts your finger and unlocks the phone. That's what my roommate used to do to me until I caught him.
mine only works when i am awake grin

1 Like

Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by Brizzy13(m): 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2017
hoover420:

Enlighten me please
If u set it on finger print only it can't be unlocked
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by sweetilicious(f): 6:07pm On Apr 19, 2017
Profcamsey:
I was thinking you will say it causes cancer grin grin grin
But thank God
You are not serious lol
Re: The Fingerprint Reader On Your Phone May Not Be As Secure As You Think by Dam5reey(m): 11:06pm On Apr 19, 2017
What is the one saying, that iPhone fingerprints scanner is not good does not mean all scanner is bad, my colleague's iPhone 6 does not open even after several tries,
On the other hand My Xiaomi redmi 4 pro and my current Mi 5 unlock like charm...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uc Cloud Will Be Suspended Soon / Glo Launches Glo Yakata Tariff Plan That Gives Up To Free 6GB Data On Recharges / Tecno L8 Vs Tecno L9: What’s The Difference?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.