Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,025 members, 7,803,447 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia (13285 Views)

Some Important Facts You Need To Know About Ethiopia / Is Ethiopia, The Greatest Country On The Continent / Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by WORLDPEACE(m): 11:50pm On May 27, 2017
Hati13:
I'm a couple of days old in this forum and I'm trying to interact with my fellow members. I'm learning a lot about other countries here and I'm very grateful for it, but I also want to tell about my country, so any(culture, social, economic and so on......) questions is appreciated.
You are welcome to this forum. Hope you have enjoyed your stay.

The idea of defining oneself as black for us down here in this part of Africa I think came after we met our colonizers. How could we have known we were black if we had not met people who were much fairer than us? I personally consider many Ethiopians blacks but not Negroid. Yet I have seen some Ethiopians on television that I would classify as negroid. This I say because they look more like the average west african than others, if you know what I mean. Is there any kind of prejudice or caste system, for want of a better word, in Ethiopia or among ethiopian groups as a result of this? With what race does the average Ethiopian identify?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:58am On May 28, 2017
WORLDPEACE:

You are welcome to this forum. Hope you have enjoyed your stay.

The idea of defining oneself as black for us down here in this part of Africa I think came after we met our colonizers. How could we have known we were black if we had not met people who were much fairer than us? I personally consider many Ethiopians blacks but not Negroid. Yet I have seen some Ethiopians on television that I would classify as negroid. This I say because they look more like the average west african than others, if you know what I mean. Is there any kind of prejudice or caste system, for want of a better word, in Ethiopia or among ethiopian groups as a result of this? With what race does the average Ethiopian identify?
Thanks brother!

No, there isn’t prejudice or caste system in Ethiopia. Ethiopians for the most identify by nationality and then ethnicity. Race is little but if we do most identify with black.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by WORLDPEACE(m): 7:42am On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

Thanks brother!
I love the way you answer questions. Are you an academic? Where you born and raised in your country?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:54am On May 28, 2017
WORLDPEACE:

I love the way you answer questions. Are you an academic? Where you born and raised in your country?
I was a first year Law student this year, but I withdraw on January because of serious medical issues. I will be back to university next year, 2010 E.C(or in October, 2017) as a history student, but I will not going to see that day.

I was born and raised in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I'm 20.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:03am On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

I was a first year Law student this year, but I withdraw on January because of serious medical issues. I will be back to university next year, 2010 E.C(or in October, 2017) as a history student, but I will not going to see that day.

What do you mean by "but I will not going to see that day"?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Winters22: 10:24am On May 28, 2017
Hati13:

what do u mean by u are not going to see that day?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 7:50am On May 29, 2017
Hati13:

OMG what do you mean you won't see that day?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by onuwaje(m): 3:56pm On May 29, 2017
Hati13:

What is it like to live and work as a legal migrant in Ethiopia?

How long does it take to gt the citizenship?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 29, 2017
onuwaje:

What is it like to live and work as a legal migrant in Ethiopia?

How long does it take to gt the citizenship?
If you have decent salary, then you will have an amazing time. Addis Ababa is in a mountain, so the weather is great. Other cities in northern and central Ethiopia are also great, since everything you see is breathtaking mountains.

About the citizenship thing, I don't how many years it takes. Search online.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by DanZubair(m): 11:04pm On May 29, 2017
I cherish Ethiopians a lot for the fact that our credible historians write we share similaraities. I am an hausa

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 29, 2017
DanZubair:
I cherish Ethiopians a lot for the fact that our credible historians write we share similaraities. I am an hausa
Yes, we are the same. Ethnicity is just a human construct system for those who speak the same language and follow the same culture. It doesn't exist in real sense. We are all the same. Not only Hausa, but all Africans in specific and all humans in general. smiley

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Winters22: 7:00am On May 31, 2017
Hati13:

Yes, we are the same. Ethnicity is just a human construct system for those who speak the same language and follow the same culture. It doesn't exist in real sense. We are all the same. Not only Hausa, but all Africans in specific and all humans in general. smiley
sent u a pm plz check ur mail
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 13, 2017
Winters22:

sent u a pm plz check ur mail
I've seen your mail and had replied you about 5 days ago.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by onila(f): 10:55pm On Jun 15, 2017
Hati13:
I'm a couple of days old in this forum and I'm trying to interact with my fellow members. I'm learning a lot about other countries here and I'm very grateful for it, but I also want to tell about my country, so any(culture, social, economic and so on......) questions is appreciated.

why are Ethiopian women so beautiful smiley
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jun 15, 2017
onila:

why are Ethiopian women so beautiful smiley
I don't know the exact answer for this question, since It's a subjective answer.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Omoluabi16(m): 1:14am On Jun 16, 2017
WORLDPEACE:

What do you mean by "but I will not going to see that day"?
cc: hati13
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by lepasharon(f): 2:36am On Jun 16, 2017
Hati13:

Are you guys racist to other Africans like Somalia are?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:04am On Jun 16, 2017
lepasharon:

Are you guys racist to other Africans like Somalia are?

Me, I'm not. I love my fellow African brothers and sisters. I'm honest.

But, there are some who are. Some people from all countries are racist to others, so Ethiopia isn't exceptional in this. But, majority of Ethiopians like their fellow Africans.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:32pm On Apr 23, 2019
Hati13
You have done a very nice job in enlighting us about your country.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Ilamina(f): 8:40am On Apr 30, 2019
Why are ethiopians so nice

And why are they so pro black, ethiopians treat you with respect once you are black

Where does the pride come from
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by cutieme(m): 6:58am On May 06, 2019
what do Ethiopian ladies really want in a man cos i have one here I'm trying to talk to, just wanna know what and how to go about getting her to dance to my tunes
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by femmoy(m): 11:24am On Oct 20, 2022

Please can you send invitation letter to me if I wish to visit your country?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Women, Would You Marry A Somali? / Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! / Asiri Aiye Siwa Lowo Awon Agba Woli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.