Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,744 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Theresa May Calls For General Election - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Theresa May Calls For General Election (14803 Views)

Theresa May Announces Her Resignation As British Prime Minister / Theresa May Shows Her Football Dazzling Skills (pics) / Naa’imur Rahman Plots To Kill Theresa May, British Prime Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Lastanza: 1:03pm On Apr 18, 2017
David Cameron knew how difficult it would be for Brexit and fought really hard against it.

Theresa May just wanted to taste power. Would be very difficult for her to effect Brexit.

2 Likes

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by doublefreez(m): 1:05pm On Apr 18, 2017
ok. she now wants to run away abi. ayan watching
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 18, 2017
9jakohai:

Basically it is a referendum on the British govt,'s brexit policy.

So what's the difference between this and the last year referendum? This being policy based?
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by discusant: 1:07pm On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:
Labour are in utter shambles at the moment, she's taking advantage of this and if this gets the sign off Tories will win by a landslide, Labour will not win this with Corbyn on the forefront

But Labour's Corbyn is said to have agreed. The British electorate are unpredictable. They can upset May.

1 Like

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by nairaman66(m): 1:07pm On Apr 18, 2017
lepasharon:

Things have to get worse before they eventually get better, it won't happen instantly undecided

Irrespective!! The brits are too crafty! They always look at the financial sides of things without looking at the implications!! Brexit does have far reaching effects that what it is, hopefully they will be prepared for the worst case scenario!

1 Like

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by cptshiver: 1:11pm On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:
Labour are in utter shambles at the moment, she's taking advantage of this and if this gets the sign off Tories will win by a landslide, Labour will not win this with Corbyn on the forefront

True, but Labour losing this round will at least see to it that Corbyn is removed from leadership.

Labour will be better positioned for 2020

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Ralphlauren(m): 1:12pm On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

True.

Labour are going to lose a lot of seats and this will be their worst performance in any general election.

The plus side however is that Jeremy Corbyn will have no choice but to resign leaving room for a formidable leader to take over the party and rebuild the party. Many people will breathe a sigh of relief once he's gone.

Jeremy Corbyn is the worst thing that has happened to the Labour Party. I can't wait to see the back of him.

My biggest worry is SNP. I really do not want them to lose any seats in Scotland. I hope they retain all 57 seats (maybe even win the other 2 seats). The SNP is the best opposition political party in the UK. No jokes grin They are forever fighting for the best interests of we Scots cool cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by househunterman(m): 1:12pm On Apr 18, 2017
Brexit confusion!
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 18, 2017
discusant:

But Labour's Corbyn is said to have agreed. The British electorate are unpredictable. They can upset May.
He welcomed her decision, doesn't change the fact she appears to be taking advantage of their 'weaker' state
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by julioralph(m): 1:15pm On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:
Jeremy Corbyn comes across as a refined gentleman, I wonder why the british electorate (and even members of his own party) seem to dislike him
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Ralphlauren(m): 1:18pm On Apr 18, 2017
julioralph:

Jeremy Corbyn comes across as a refined gentleman, I wonder why the british electorate (and even members of his own party) seem to dislike him

Refined gentleman?

You obviously know zilch about the man, his background or his policies.

You can call him a refined "agbero" though
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by julioralph(m): 1:25pm On Apr 18, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Refined gentleman?

cheesy cheesy cheesy haha
I know he was a hell raiser in his younger days, he was involved in sort of liberal activities/protests (once saw a vid of him with long hair looking like dat of batistuta!!!)

but I thought he's done with all that
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 18, 2017
julioralph:

Lol refined? I think it has to do with him leaning more left than the centre left people are accustomed to with Labour

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by cptshiver: 1:26pm On Apr 18, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Refined gentleman?

You may not like his politics, but the man is a proper gentleman

1 Like

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by linearity: 1:29pm On Apr 18, 2017
mykeljosef:
to the many idiots above me that refuse to learn from anything

1.uk population is 65.4m i mean look at that......we can see how those who ignore family planning (majorly rural areas) and that religion that suports mass polygamy but painfully the polygamy is more among the poor illiterates of the religion

we can see how the population of Nigeria is a problem ...n see why the "northern elites" keep using that card to their benefit using religion as a brain washing tool

2.. today is april 18 election is planned to hold june 8 ..that's 51 days to plain an election

but here inec will use 4 years n still end up at inconclusive results or no voting materials

n some delusional"optimist" will say Nigeria is getting better

I don't think population or family planing has anything to do with, America is almost 320mil.....

The UK is 310 years old, the US is 241 years old and Nigeria is just 57 years old. If we assume that, it takes a Nation 100 years, to start seeing significant maturity, Nigeria still have like 43 years to go and it might not even happen in my or your lifetime, but our kids will live in a better Nigeria.

Nothing goes up or maintain a singular trajectory forever...eventually, something have to give.

2 Likes

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by julioralph(m): 1:30pm On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

Lol refined? I think it has to do with him leaning more left than the centre left people are accustomed to with Labour
Oh, Ok then.

the Tories clearly hold 'both the knife and the yam' in this election then.
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 18, 2017
julioralph:

Oh, Ok then.

the Tories clearly hold 'both the knife and the yam' in this election then.
I'd be surprised if they don't win anyway lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by julioralph(m): 1:33pm On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

I'd be surprised if they don't win anyway lol
Exactly

1 Like

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by just2endowed: 1:40pm On Apr 18, 2017
Ralphlauren:

True.

Labour are going to lose a lot of seats and this will be their worst performance in any general election.

The plus side however is that Jeremy Corbyn will have no choice but to resign leaving room for a formidable leader to take over the party and rebuild the party. Many people will breathe a sigh of relief once he's gone.

Jeremy Corbyn is the worst thing that has happened to the Labour Party. I can't wait to see the back of him.

My biggest worry is SNP. I really do not want them to lose any seats in Scotland. I hope they retain all 57 seats (maybe even win the other 2 seats). The SNP is the best opposition political party in the UK. No jokes grin They are forever fighting for the best interests of we Scots cool cheesy

are u not from nigeria? see analysis shocked
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Truth234(m): 1:43pm On Apr 18, 2017
1bkaye:

He welcomed her decision, doesn't change the fact she's appears to be taking advantage of their 'weaker' state

Theresa May is trying to secure her seat ahead of potential catastrophe. Capitalising on two things, the recent poll that showed conservative party is leading with more than 20 points. Two, the economy remains resilient for now even after Brexit was triggered last month.

If granted tomorrow she could win, before the Britons start experiencing an economic crisis as consumer spending that has been supporting the economy has started slowing down and so is the retail sales.

The housing price is on the decline, same with business confidence. She knows she cannot get the Brexit legislation she needs through the House of Commons with the slim majority she inherited from David Cameron come 2020.
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Ralphlauren(m): 1:50pm On Apr 18, 2017
Truth234:

Theresa May is trying to secure her seat ahead of potential catastrophe. Capitalising on two things, the recent poll that showed conservative party is leading with more than 20 points. Two, the economy remains resilient for now even after Brexit was triggered last month.

If granted tomorrow she could win, before the Britons start experiencing an economic crisis as consumer spending that has been supporting the economy has started slowing down and so is the retail sales.

The housing price is on the decline, same with business confidence. She knows she cannot get the Brexit legislation she needs through the House of Commons with the slim majority she inherited from David Cameron come 2020.

Business confidence = yes
House prices = no

Between January and now, a property I bought last year has appreciated by 7%.

I have friends and colleagues saying the sam too. House prices are actually on the increase.
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by bookface: 1:52pm On Apr 18, 2017
@ 1bkaye

where the heck have you been all my life?
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by ephi123(f): 1:52pm On Apr 18, 2017
Ralphlauren:

House prices = no

I have friends and colleagues saying the sam too. House prices are actually on the increase.

Across the nation, that's not the case.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/31/uk-house-prices-slide-for-first-time-in-almost-two-years-says-nationwide

It's only going to get worse with Brexit, the story has just started. Pound took a nosedive when Theresa's announcement became public.

1 Like

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Truth234(m): 2:04pm On Apr 18, 2017
Ralphlauren:

House prices = no

No, read the submission again. It has started declining, for instance, on a three-month average housing price rose 3.8 percent year-on-year from Jan to March. This was below the 10 percent recorded a year ago and also the lowest in almost 4 years. Hence, one of the reasons Theresa May wants to secure her seat ahead of possible disaster. Alarming to us in the Finacial sector.
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by fasterwell(m): 2:07pm On Apr 18, 2017

Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by femi4love(m): 2:36pm On Apr 18, 2017
nairaman66:
David Cameron warned them of impending disaster and the implications of brexit!! As always thouse declined and only looked at the financial incencitives they stand to gain!

The only disaster I foresee is if the MPs, mostly those in the opposition parties do not allow smooth transition into Brexit, which seems to be the case at the moment, then we could find ourselves where we may not like as a country. undecided
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 18, 2017
bookface:
@ 1bkaye

where the heck have you been all my life?
Lol!
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by nairaman66(m): 3:02pm On Apr 18, 2017
femi4love:

The only disaster I foresee is if the MPs, mostly those in the opposition parties do not allow smooth transition into Brexit, which seems to be the case at the moment, then we could find ourselves where we may not like as a country. undecided

Cameron stepped down in this regard! Most opposition MPs would voice their concerns because that is why they are voted for, but I believe it won't change the status quo!
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by ovokate(f): 3:28pm On Apr 18, 2017
chronique:
What exactly would the election decide?
Abiundecided
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by femi4love(m): 3:31pm On Apr 18, 2017
nairaman66:

Cameron stepped down in this regard! Most opposition MPs would voice their concerns because that is why they are voted for, but I believe it won't change the status quo!

I sincerely believe that we can make the best of the situation, if all bitterness is put aside. It's unfortunate that some democratically elected MPs still find it difficult to get used to the fact that the electorates determine how the country is being run. Once voting to leave was confirmed and Article 50 triggered, they should learn to "get used" to the situation and make the best of it.
Re: Theresa May Calls For General Election by femi4love(m): 3:54pm On Apr 18, 2017
mykeljosef:
to the many idiots above me that refuse to learn from anything

1.uk population is 65.4m i mean look at that......we can see how those who ignore family planning (majorly rural areas) and that religion that suports mass polygamy but painfully the polygamy is more among the poor illiterates of the religion

we can see how the population of Nigeria is a problem ...n see why the "northern elites" keep using that card to their benefit using religion as a brain washing tool

2.. today is april 18 election is planned to hold june 8 ..that's 51 days to plain an election

but here inec will use 4 years n still end up at inconclusive results or no voting materials

n some delusional"optimist" will say Nigeria is getting better

Sensational!!!! grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I'm Going To War With You Guys, U.S President Biden Jokes With Union Workers / US Agrees To Send Advanced Rockets To Ukraine / Alassane Ouattara Is The New Chairman Of Ecowas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.