Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew (16673 Views)

3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car / Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Abaasit4real(m): 8:39am On Apr 19, 2017
Abaasit4real:
Many of us grew up driving manual vehicles because at one time manual transmissions were more widely available than automatic transmission vehicles, which were introduced to the market several decades after the invention of the automobile. Drivers who are used to manual transmission may instinctively gravitate towards manual transmission vehicles because they are more familiar than automatic transmissions.

Lately, automatic transmission vehicles have quickly become the norm for those learning to drive. Therefore, fewer people now know how to operate the stick shift for a manual transmission vehicle. Research shows 8 out of 10 drivers prefer the automatic transmissions to the manual transmissions. Are there advantages to knowing how to operate a stick shift, or are the skills required for manual transmission becoming less important over time? Here are the few advantages of manual transmission over automatic transmission.

Less expensive to purchase: If you’re car shopping on a budget, then you should consider manual transmission vehicle as it will surely cost less than the automatic transmission of the same model.
Cheaper to maintain: With all the added components into the automatic transmission, running it will surely cost a fortune more than its manual transmission counterpart

It gives the driver full control over the vehicle: Although manual transmission may seem like extra work, it gives the driver the feeling of being in control of the vehicle. In an automatic transmission vehicle, the torque converter pushes the vehicle forward. This is one of the reasons that make the automatic transmission vehicles’ brake less efficient when compared to manual transmission vehicles.

Manual transmission vehicles do not have a torque converter. For this reason, manual transmission drivers are able to use the momentum of the engine to slow the vehicle down and brake more easily.

Manual transmissions also reduce fuel usage: Study shows a manual transmission vehicle when placed under the same driving conditions with a similar automatic transmission vehicle can consume 5-15% less fuel. Hence, when a manual transmission vehicle is operated efficiently, the driver will save more money on fuel.

More Secured: With the increasing number of automatic transmission vehicles making it to our roads, there’s an entire generation that has never learnt the finer points of manual transmission operation. This means that should a car-thief decide to give your car a closer inspection in preparation for stealing it, there’s a fairly good chance that simply having a manual transmission will be enough to deter the criminal.

Source: http://360techinfo.com/2017/04/18/advantages-of-manual-transmission-vehicles-over-automatic-transmission-vehicles/

cc: Marpol, mynd44, lalasticlala
vistit: 360techinfo.com for updates on technology
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Isaacpyo04(m): 8:41am On Apr 19, 2017
Try to drive a manual vehicle from ikorodu to ketu on a Monday morning, you will have a rethink

2 Likes

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by obidevine(m): 8:51am On Apr 19, 2017
There are some cars that have both manual and automatic transmission. The technology is called tiptronic transmission or semi automatics.

Cc- Autojosh, lalasticlala
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by 2bam: 9:22am On Apr 19, 2017
automatic car is for the handicapped, I flow with the manual you are always in control.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by freeman500: 9:57am On Apr 19, 2017
if you love driving, speeding, racing then nothing concerns you with auto. with manual gearbox you are in charge of the vehicle @ all times.

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by freeman500: 10:03am On Apr 19, 2017
besides why does auto have D2 D3. it's because they know that sometimes you need max power from those gears before u change to a higher gear. and that's exactly where manual beats auto

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:09am On Apr 19, 2017
2bam:
automatic car is for the handicapped, I flow with the manual you are always in control.

Manual drive all the time, especially in our 3rd world environment when you may need to push start because of failed battery or kick starter.
Only this Saturday, I escaped crashing into a broken down parked trailer on high speed along the Kaduna Kano express way by using my manual gears together with the braking system to stop just inches away from the parked truck - couldn't have achieved same with an automatic transmission vehicle.

Yes I will eventually have to buy an automatic vehicle in the future, as one runs out of options; meanwhile I intend to continue enjoying my manuals while I still can.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by lonelydora: 10:11am On Apr 19, 2017
greenhulk:

Fallacy. The autos of these days are equally as quick as the manuals if not even quicker..

Depends on who drives each.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by ajalaja(m): 10:22am On Apr 19, 2017
I ve alwaz said it dat pipu in automatic only MOVES d car, they don't DRIVE it. There's no joy in automatic at all after all it has bn termd for lazy dudes

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by EnaibeSam: 10:38am On Apr 19, 2017
When I'm driving auto, I see myself taking total control of the driving and have more confidence in my self
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by almsofgold: 11:05am On Apr 19, 2017
gazzuzz #teamstickforlife
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by ziga: 11:16am On Apr 19, 2017
These things OP posted may have been true 20 years ago.

Not any more.

And if you are driving around with a dead battery... you should definitely stick with a manual transmission or walk undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Mojibola(m): 11:18am On Apr 19, 2017
martin1772:
Imagine the stress of driving from lagos to maiduguri on a manual transmission to auto transmission. Like using the staircase instead of elevator to climb world tallest building.

Your comparison is exaggerated.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Ajanacool(m): 11:42am On Apr 19, 2017
The haters of manual cars should ask themselves y most racing vehicles are manual. Shifting d stick with swags is fun jo

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by 2bam: 11:49am On Apr 19, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

Manual drive all the time, especially in our 3rd world environment when you may need to push start because of failed battery or kick starter.
Only this Saturday, I escaped crashing into a broken down parked trailer on high speed along the Kaduna Kano express way by using my manual gears together with the braking system to stop just inches away from the parked truck - couldn't have achieved same with an automatic transmission vehicle.

Yes I will eventually have to buy an automatic vehicle in the future, as one runs out of options; meanwhile I intend to continue enjoying my manuals while I still can.
. you have said it all my bro.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 19, 2017
Ajanacool:
The haters of manual cars should ask themselves y most racing vehicles are manual. Shifting d stick with swags is fun jo

Nobody hates manual cars, we just prefer automatics. Unless u are racing in a circuit I see no genuine reason for manual cars. And 99% of people on this forum don't race. I buy a car to ease my movement providing luxury and performance... Not to race on a track.

Most of the supercars made three days don't even come with manual anymore, they are all automatic. And show me a luxury car with manual transmission. I drive both manual and auto, but I prefer auto. I cannot come and go and be stressing myself because I want to drive from one point to another, I rather use that energy for something else.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 11:56am On Apr 19, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

Whatever makes u guys think automatic cars don't have engine braking? It is equally as effective as manual. Or what do u think is the function of the d1, d2 and d3 in automatic cars ?
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Highvotage: 11:59am On Apr 19, 2017
I believed many people here commenting learnt driving with autos within one week and they were already on the road.
Let them point to me any Country through Europe where you'll see auto car as much as Manual, Germany inclusive.
We are just after everything happening in America, that all.
I have drive over 50km without changing my manual gear.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by princy80(m): 1:18pm On Apr 19, 2017
Dollypie20:
If u can drive manual, u can move any car
Automatic can't be pushed to work unlike manual.
Manual is fun, auto is for one-legged people tongue

Lolz, exactly!
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by chiraqDemon(m): 1:23pm On Apr 19, 2017
princefunmmy:
I love the Manual Transmission... The Joy of matching the clutch the shifting the stick, I love the feeling when the car changes sound.. And manual transmission is better on bumpy roads and climbing elevated path.

FTC
My main problem is the braking
Ive been using a manual car since i stsrted driving and i feel in control especially when braking since i use the clutch to control the way i brake and i can get nice accuracy when braking
But i always worry that braking in automatic is actually a bit harder to control, especially in situations where u have to move small distances (say u want to park well in a tight parking lot

Is this concern based on fact or is it not true?
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by mcstan18(m): 2:27pm On Apr 19, 2017
cmpunk:
And if your battery or kick starter should suddenly fail you, there is no way of push starting your automatic car.

Rather than push, we use the jumpstart wire. Doesn't that make more sense buddy?
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Bibiangel(f): 3:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
I'm currently learning how to drive using a manual transmission car, it's too stressful joor.
#Teamautomatictransmission...
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Qualer: 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2017
Dollypie20:
If u can drive manual, u can move any car
Automatic can't be pushed to work unlike manual.
Manual is fun, auto is for one-legged people tongue

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Qualer: 3:45pm On Apr 19, 2017
Bibiangel:
I'm currently learning how to drive using a manual transmission car, it's too stressful joor.

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by ItsMeAboki(m): 4:50pm On Apr 19, 2017
greenhulk:

Whatever makes u guys think automatic cars don't have engine braking? It is equally as effective as manual. Or what do u think is the function of the d1, d2 and d3 in automatic cars ?

The article clearly stated this reason for the difference:

Manual transmission vehicles do not have a torque converter. For this reason, manual transmission drivers are able to use the momentum of the engine to slow the vehicle down and brake more easily.

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Dollypie20(f): 5:55pm On Apr 19, 2017
[quote author=Qualer post=55715246][/quote]
cheesy
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Asegzy: 6:21pm On Apr 19, 2017
Just try manual in a BMW E46
And U'll just love the music the engine produces grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 19, 2017
Team manual over automatics, i love being in control of my cAR though. I hate automatics with a passion. The last time I drove an automatic I was looking for a clutch pedal.
Besides you can drive a manual car like an automatic, only the true manual drivers known how to do this.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 19, 2017
Bibiangel:

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Kaymaxine(m): 8:31pm On Apr 19, 2017
lonelydora:

Take auto and i take manual tranny. I will get to maiduguri before you.
convam

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 19, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

The article clearly stated this reason for the difference:

U have to shift down to use engine braking to slow vehicle down. The same thing is possible with automatics, all u have to do is shift down.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Name Of Your First Car And Your Experience With It? / Points To Consider When Getting Your First Car / 20 Interesting Facts About Lamborghini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.