Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,785 members, 7,806,177 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council (24302 Views)

NADDC Director-General, Jelani Aliyu Visits Innoson In Nnewi / Pictures Of Chevrolet Volt Designed By Jelani Aliyu, The New DG Of NADDC / Jelani Aliyu Of General Motors Assumes Office As Director Of NADDC Today(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by Nwachukwu1986(m): 10:56am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:
"*When I say Nigerian vehicle, I don’t necessarily mean the whole thing*, but a vehicle designed specifically for the Nigerian populace. A vehicle in tune with the history, culture, environment and economic structure of the people "

Please can somebody help me explain this in simple terms....because I can't even see the sense in the above quote sad

"A vehicle in tune with the history, culture"........what the fvck is that supposed to mean? undecided

Where did u copy it ni
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by cardoctor(m): 10:56am On Apr 19, 2017
Welcome on board Sir. I wish you a successful tenure of positive change in the council. Good riddance to that bad rubbish of a useless man that wasted so many years of what should have been and era of automotive evolution in Nigeria. Oga, we dey your back.
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by Nobody: 10:56am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

So please how do we design cars based on our history and culture?

Are we talking about electric horses and camels, or camels and horses upgraded with V12 engines or what please?

What does the rolls Royce mean to you? What comes to your mind when you see an Aston martin? Cultures have long time influenced automobile design especially luxury brands. If you wanna doubt, see the difference between a American cars and European cars produced in the 1960s which was the period of the american dream. American vehicles focused on luxury featuring long wheel bases, convertibles with wide wheel bases, exquisite symbolism in the grill design (look at the Cadillacs and Buicks) as compared to the European cars which were more formal in nature and focusing more on efficiency with thier luxury brands representing aristocratic cultures and monarchies...like the rolls,Bentleys, Ferraris, Benz. So culture does have a great influence in automobile design

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by gbegemaster(m): 11:00am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

Are we talking about electric horses and camels, or camels and horses upgraded with V12 engines or what please?
Lol
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by gbegemaster(m): 11:02am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:
"*When I say Nigerian vehicle, I don’t necessarily mean the whole thing*, but a vehicle designed specifically for the Nigerian populace. A vehicle in tune with the history, culture, environment and economic structure of the people "

Please can somebody help me explain this in simple terms....because I can't even see the sense in the above quote sad

"A vehicle in tune with the history, culture"........what the fvck is that supposed to mean? undecided
That's what dey use to bamboozle us na. Maybe he wants to bring back the beetles. Pun intended. cheesy
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by oldninja(m): 11:03am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

History and culture of lack of maintenance
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by 4peace(m): 11:05am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

Dude you just dive into area where you have no knowledge about
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by malware: 11:06am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

Are you this daft? European countries design vehicles to suit their weather, topology, culture etc. But in Nigeria, we import all sort of drivable vehicles, irrespective of temperature and topological specifications.

In summary, he was trying to say that we should be using vehicles designed specifically to cope with the Nigerian factors, that's a Nigerian vehicle, not necessarily a vehicle made in Nigeria not taking into cognizance those factors.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by malware: 11:11am On Apr 19, 2017
highscript:
Whachu want from me I ve been making front page since and I thought to myself - you people don't give a fvck ...
Like if you don't give a fvck about me, share if you do

Eyyah

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by buygala(m): 11:17am On Apr 19, 2017
malware:

Are you this daft? European countries design vehicles to suit their weather, topology, culture etc. But in Nigeria, we import all sort of drivable vehicles, irrespective of temperature and topological specifications.

In summary, he was trying to say that we should be using vehicles designed specifically to cope with the Nigerian factors, that's a Nigerian vehicle, not necessarily a vehicle made in Nigeria not taking into cognizance those factors.

Oga einstein.....please give me an example of designing a car to be in tune with Nigerian 'history and culture'

Emphasis on 'history and culture' undecided
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by Chukazu: 11:17am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

Simply put..."Nigerian specs"

Just as u have American specs
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by Deem: 11:19am On Apr 19, 2017
Bureaucracy wouldn't allow this man to perform.He will want to be subjected to the powers that be.!
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by mapet: 11:22am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

Then excuse yourself from the topic or stand by the sideline becos it seem you're not intellectually competent to process his drift

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by DonDiego(m): 11:26am On Apr 19, 2017
autojosh:
President Mohammadu Buhari may well have ignited stakeholders’ confidence in Nigeria’s automotive industry as he appointed renowned General Motors Senior Creative Designer as the new Director General, National Automotive Design and Development Council, NADDC.

Aliyu, who also designed the awe-inspiring Chevrolet Volt replaces Engineer Aminu Jalal.

But who is Jelani Aliyu? Born in Kaduna in 1966 to Alhaji Aliya and Sharifiya Hauwa’u Aliyu who both hail from Sokoto State, Jelani Aliyu attended Capital School, Sokoto between 1971 and 1978, and then proceeded to Federal Government College, Sokoto, where he graduated with honours as ‘best technical drawing student.’

He was later offered admission to study Architecture at the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria but declined the offer for a similar course at the Birnin Kebbi Polytechnic, Kebbi State from 1986 to 1988 – the institution that formally embedded in Jelani the culture of automobile design.

While at the Polytechnic, Jelani Aliyu did in depth research into home designs and construction, experimenting with materials and structures that could best be functional for buildings in the hot northern climate without necessarily using air conditioning system.

His effort earned him another accolade when upon graduation he was hired at the Ministry of Works, Sokoto, where he worked briefly.

An exceptionally curious Aliyu soon moved in 1990 to Detroit, Michigan, USA where he enrolled at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit under a Sokoto Scholarship board sponsorship.

Having always wanted to study Automobile Design, Jelani Aliyu became enthusiastic in automotive design and as he says: “The course was very practical and emphasis was put on creativity and the development of new designs to provide solutions.”

Upon graduation in 1994, he began his career with the design staff of General Motors, where he worked on the Buick Rendezvous and later became lead exterior designer of the Pontiac G6 and Astra, General Motors’ Opel Division and soon designed the Chevrolet Volt which was unveiled in 2007.

Married with three kids, Jelani was recently quoted as saying “I think with the new automotive policy, with the support the government is giving to the industry, it has begun to create the momentum needed. We just need to continue pushing it through the next stages, especially in terms of enabling a Nigerian vehicle that is conceptualized, designed and developed by Nigerians for Nigerians in Nigeria.

“When I say Nigerian vehicle, I don’t necessarily mean the whole thing, but a vehicle designed specifically for the Nigerian populace. A vehicle in tune with the history, culture, environment and economic structure of the people, and I think we are heading there.”

https://autojosh.com/jelani-aliyu-2/

This is the most blatant of the many lies embedded in this hagiography. how could anyone turn down an admission into the North's pre-eminent department of architecture to go study in a mushroom institution whose architecture programme was not recognised even among fellow polytechnics at the time? Another one is that he designed the Chevy Volt. Lie. He was only a member of a design team that worked on that automobile, not even was he the team leader. If you doubt me, google it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by mrvitalis(m): 11:27am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

No not that based on our weather conditions and road conditions and other things unique to us that makes foreign cars less effective in Nigeria
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by malware: 11:33am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

Oga einstein.....please give me an example of designing a car to be in tune with Nigerian 'history and culture'

Emphasis on 'history and culture' undecided

Take a clue from the desert arabs, car designers design their cars to suit the desert environment. Qe live in a high temperature environment and we import vehicles designed to operate in eskimos.... No wonder people remove thermostat sensors from mercedes cars whenever they buy the.
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by buygala(m): 11:35am On Apr 19, 2017
myking95:

What does the rolls Royce mean to you? What comes to your mind when you see an Aston martin? Cultures have long time influenced automobile design especially luxury brands. If you wanna doubt, see the difference between a American cars and European cars produced in the 1960s which was the period of the american dream. American vehicles focused on luxury featuring long wheel bases, convertibles with wide wheel bases, exquisite symbolism in the grill design (look at the Cadillacs and Buicks) as compared to the European cars which were more formal in nature and focusing more on efficiency with thier luxury brands representing aristocratic cultures and monarchies...like the rolls,Bentleys, Ferraris, Benz. So culture does have a great influence in automobile design

Nice irrelevant epistle smiley

You still have not said anything relevant to the Nigerian situation....

What part of the Nigerian history and culture can possibly be imbibed into the design of a car....is it our Cowrie shells, rubber mats, Terra Cota clay designs, or what exactly please?

Or is Murtala Muhammed's head going to be the insignia of the Nigerian Car?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by buygala(m): 11:36am On Apr 19, 2017
malware:

Take a clue from the desert arabs, car designers design their cars to suit the desert environment. Qe live in a high temperature environment and we import vehicles designed to operate in eskimos.... No wonder people remove thermostat sensors from mercedes cars whenever they buy the.

"HISTORY AND CULTURE" BROS angry

Stop answering questions u were not asked and face the one you were asked smiley

Or is heat now part of our history abi na culture ? sad
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by Duru009(m): 11:39am On Apr 19, 2017
Am igbo man suppose to hold this position because 90% of the automobile companies in Nigeria are owned by them.

This is pure tribalism n sentiment!!!!
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by BetaThings: 11:40am On Apr 19, 2017
malware:

Excellent explanation, let me jut add a few words

A vehicle in tune with the history, culture, environment and economic structure of the people

History - how have Nigerians used cars in the past? can that teach us something for our design approach
Culture - do Nigerians take time to study and comply with manuals, do they work their cars nearly to death everyday? or do they treat them with extreme care? With they service them on time or will they delay? do they use them for special occasions and take trains mostly? Do they work parts into them or buy new parts from dealers? do we need to design into the Nigerian car sufficient redundancies and features to reflect or modify such behaviour?
environment - temperature, nature of road, dust
Economic structure - income level structure - many low income or many middle class

1 Like

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by lordmayor4(m): 11:44am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

Ask your ancestors about pegeot vehicles PAN... those oldies like 504 etc
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by malware: 11:47am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

"HISTORY AND CULTURE" BROS angry

Stop answering questions u were not asked and fave the one you were asked smiley

May be you find it difficult to decode my answers.... there is a lot of information contained in those lines I wrote, kindly revisit those comments.
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by malware: 11:49am On Apr 19, 2017
BetaThings:

Excellent explanation, let me jut add a few words

History - how have Nigerians used cars in the past? can that teach us something for our design approach
Culture - do Nigerians take time to study and comply with manuals, do they work their cars nearly to death everyday? or do they treat them with extreme care? With they service them on time or will they delay? do they use them for special occasions and take trains mostly? Do they work parts into them or buy new parts from dealers? do we need to design into the Nigerian car sufficient redundancies and features to reflect or modify such behaviour?
environment - temperature, nature of road, dust
Economic structure - income level structure - many low income or many middle class

disregard for traffick rules is part of our culture. so designing cars that will force us to respect those rules will go a long way in enforcing the rules.
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by oluwamitomisin: 11:49am On Apr 19, 2017
Exactly my thoughts..... What Does he mean to say?

buygala:

Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by linearity: 11:50am On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

It means, the vehicle must pass the Nigeria Authenticity test.
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:54am On Apr 19, 2017
mrvitalis:

Well in engineering the design is the mean work the fabrication can be done any were with cooperative advantage...

So if we need a Nigerian care we can design based on our conditions here fabricate the one we can for now and order the rest with our specification ..that's how its done

Innoson is already on that.
He is making it seem as if it's a new thing on Nigeria
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

What part of the Nigerian history and culture can possibly be imbibed into the design of a car....is it our Cowrie shells, rubber mats, Terra Cota clay designs, or what exactly please?

Forgive me. I overestimated your intellectual capacity to see the relationship between automobile design and culture. I won't stress you much next time
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by ayindejimmy(m): 12:32pm On Apr 19, 2017
NubiLove:
There is a Volkswagen factory along badagry express way... let us revive that one.
There was...

It's been sold to kia, I think.
When last did you pass Badagry express way?
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by Exciton(m): 12:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

I'm loving how you're countering these guys. Keep up the good work!
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by BALLOSKI: 12:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
buygala:

you don't read with your head and heart opened, and that's why you missed the most self-explanatory part of his statement.

Are you saying technology word over are not in tune with history ? We have technologies that emerged because of revolution, crisis, war , celebration, events, epidemic etc, and these all make up history.

Culture does not necessarily mean when we appease to god or do festival , but it could be how we think and how we interact with our environment.

The cars you use here are tropicalized and that's partridge understanding the environment which culture is a product of. Why do you think people in the north love Honda product more , but not so in the south? It's about history , orientation and culture(as product of environment as explained up there).

And I thought that buygala guy is sensible enough.
Re: Who Is Jelani Aliyu? Buhari’s Newly Appointed Head Of Automotive Council by dee02(m): 12:39pm On Apr 19, 2017
So we have an automative council in this country?!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Order/purchase Ur Tokunbo Engine And Gearboxes / Help! How Do I Recover A Debt Of 5.5m? / Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.