Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,250 members, 7,780,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:47 PM

Living In Ghana, My Experience. - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Ghana, My Experience. (62781 Views)

My Experience Living And Working In The UAE / My Experience Living In China For 4 Months - A Nairalander / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by iamord(m): 10:39am On Apr 21, 2017
ifyalways:

Lol

He says Ghana food is shyte, claims he's only tasted their rice and won't taste any other of their varieties and yet thinks he's not a proper kuraseni? cheesy
if you Nigerian then am tripping. it absurd to have an opinion and impose it on others.. different stokes for different people the first time I saw amala I was,like yuck ! black food with the sticky ewedu.. but it tasted pretty good. and I will be looking forward to eating it again.. my p with Nigeria,is that its hard to get quality food except you gonna spend extra bucks... indomie seems to be the only quicky food available. and that's disappointing

2 Likes

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by iamord(m): 10:45am On Apr 21, 2017
360command:
A guy said festac. Since he said Kenke, I felt if Kenke can be in festac then most GH food can be found there.
well usually where there are Ghanaian settlement's and maybe Accra high on the island and the high commission too.

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by lorhema(f): 11:05am On Apr 21, 2017
There's a woman who sells kenke, fish and shito from 3pm at Sabo, Yaba. Go past the market to the Junction opposite the old disused newspaper building. I stop by when in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by kjhova(m): 11:13am On Apr 21, 2017
mmsen:

Even before the recent work done on the Abuja - Kaduna Expressway it was in much better shape than the Lagos - Ibadan road.

My point is that it makes sense to ensure that the major economic areas have the needed infrastructure to continue making money, employing people and paying taxes. Abuja does none of that, rather it is a drain on public finances.

As for Kaduna...

I put it to you humbly that you have no proof that overtime, FG has spent more on Abuja-Kaduna than Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

If the former is in better shape than the latter, it must be for other reasons other than expenditure. For one, traffice volume and tonnage on Lag-IB will, by a far margin, surpass that of Abuja-Kaduna. So naturally, you would expect Lag-IB to surfer wear and tear effect more than the other.

Your original statement seemed to play on the usual but unfounded assumption that a Northern led government is diverting resources to a wasteful project in their enclave while neglecting critical need down south.
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by onila(f): 12:21pm On Apr 21, 2017
Just30:
not true cos if you present yourself to be respected, you gets respect.

ghana economy ain't that bad
and they have produced great people like kofi annan, boris kodjoe

and have some goodlooking people

but have a similar culture with black americans

Africans are known to be cultured. .thats what sets us apart from the black slaves
but Ghanaians are the opposite

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by amenuveve: 12:28pm On Apr 21, 2017
[quote author=onila post=55750117]

Good morning i saw your post that you school in ghana please i would like to know what are the options available to receive money from Nigeria in ghana my bank account stop work for some time now because I have not done my bank verification and there is the issue of ban on the use of ATM any solution my number is +233248209704 thanks
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Laird(m): 12:38pm On Apr 21, 2017
Enuf of the Hate and Beef

We are all africans

I just came back from Ghana

Ghana is much neater and more organised than Nigeria

Ghanian roads are neater and in much better shape than most Nigerian roads

Ghanians are friendly and don't disturb You and mind their business if You don't look for their trouble

Ghana is far more expensive to buy things than in Nigeria; food, drinks, airtime , transport, services cost almost double the Nigerian price

Some of Nigerian.products like indomie noodles are popular in Ghana

Transport fare from Ghana to Lagos is more expensive than Transport fare from Lagos to Ghana so if You are planning a very short trip or journey from Lagos to Ghana, just buy Your going and return to and fro ticket at the same time in Nigeria to save money

A lot of Naija people are in Ghana

Police in Ghana are more calm, more respectful and more professional than Nigerian police

Transport.fare ABC,, budget 19 thousand five hundred with Naija or ecowas passport, 22 thousand without passport but You must have an I.D card like National I.D card or Voters card

It is cheaper buying and paying for Your Ghana to Lagos return ticket fee in Nigeria than buying or paying in Ghana

You will reach in the Night

Don't follow small car, follow registered transport company bus if not border immigration would extort almost all Your money

No job in Ghana.....Ghana is far more expensive than Nigeria

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by onila(f): 12:55pm On Apr 21, 2017
Just30:
not true cos if you present yourself to be respected, you gets respect.

Caribbeans and black Americans are respected among Africans

for what they have done for the Black race

does not mean we like them, we just tolerate

l think I prefer black Americans to Ghanaians
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by MrOreo(m): 2:24pm On Apr 21, 2017
bufness:
haba sister are u a Ghanaian ni
I wonder oh, why so much venom?? undecided
She go fit chop person sef cheesy
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by gascoign1(m): 2:59pm On Apr 21, 2017
[quote author=emmbet post=55746650]This issue of comparing Nigeria and Ghana has been over flogged and debated for a very long time.

As a Nigeria currently based in Ghana and married to a Ghanaian lady, I would say that:

Food: It depends on the cook like someone mentioned earlier and we can't factually opine that Nigerian food is better or Ghanaian food is better. But one thing that I know is a fact is that Nigeria has more variety in foods than Ghana.

Security: As the OP mentioned, Ghana is secure not because their security forces are that good but mostly because the crime wave is low and the average Ghanaian is more law abiding than the average Nigerian. They have more respect for constituted authority.
For starters, criminals in Nigeria are much more sophisticated than their Ghanaian counterparts. We have heard stories of robbers using explosives to rob banks in Nigeria but in Ghana, this does not happen. Ghanaian police does not yet have experience of these kind of violent and sophisticated crime operations. In Ghana, most banks don't use revolving doors like banks in Nigeria. Some even still use sliding glass doors.
The Ghanaian police are much more professional and cautious than their Nigerian counterparts. Countless times, they've let me off with just a warning and without paying a bribe.
I have also had a case where I paid for an apartment that was still occupied and after I reported to the Police, they did a professional job and made sure I got back my money.
Also, Ghanaian police does not harrass innocent citizens in checkpoints like Nigerian police. Once they see you respect them and have good manner of approach, you can get away with anything.

Road Networks: Yes it is true that most of the national highways in Ghana are single carriage ways. Roads like Aflao-Tema, Accra-Winneba-Cape Coast-Takoradi all the way to Cote d'Ivoire border are all mostly single carriage.
Also Accra-Kumasi-Kintampo-Tamale-Wale Wale-Bolgatanga till Burkina Faso border at Paga are all mostly single carriage ways. But the amazing thing is that most of these roads are well maintained and in good condition.
Nigeria has better road network than Ghana. Both innercity roads and national highways but Ghanaian highways are more maintained. This fact is not debatable.

Business climate: It is much more easier to run a business in Ghana than Nigeria. Only disadvantage in Ghana is their high capital requirement for foreigners to register business. But in terms of ease of doing business, Ghana is better in all ramifications and with less bureaucracy than Nigeria. When I was registering my company in Ghana, I lost my Tax Id No certificate which was given to me. I was surprised when I walked to the GRA office at Ministries in Accra and explained to someone there. He just asked for my name and checked it on the system and printed a new one for me. He did this within a minute and without asking for egunje.
It is also easier to clear goods from Tema port than it is from Lagos ports.
Startups have more likelihood of surviving in Ghana than in Nigeria and Ghanaian businesses men and women have more access to credit facilities than Nigeria.
The disadvantage in Ghana is that they don't have the population and purchasing power that we have in Nigeria. As a result of the high cost of living in Ghana, most households spend a higher percentage of their income on food alone and will have little or less to spend on other things that they don't consider important.
This is the reason why business moves faster in Nigeria than Ghana.

Cost of living: Ghana has a very high cost of living even with their stable electricity compared to Nigeria. Example, a bottle of coke in Ghana is about 2 cedis (200 naira) but in Nigeria now it is about 70-80 naira (0.7-0.8 cedis).
Also bottle of canned malta guiness goes for 150 naira retail in Nigeria but in Ghana, it is about 3 cedis (300 naira). I actually know a friend that imports drinks from Nigeria to sell in Ghana and he is making a killing from it.
This is the case in other goods and services.
In terms of transport, the fare from point A to point B are the same no matter the time of the day in Ghana unlike in Nigeria where this is not the case and before any increase in transport fares, the transport unions meet and agree on a particular amount to add to a specified route.
Their transport sector is more organized.
Coming to the airlines, they are never late. On many occasions that I have used African World Airlines and Starbow Airlines from Accra to Tamale, they are always on schedule. And even on the Accra-Lagos route, this is the same thing. We cannot say the same of Nigerian airlines like Arikair.

In summary, I would say that both countries have their weak and strong points. If Ghana had the money that Nigeria has earned over the years, they would have done better.
From what I can see, the achievements and heights that Ghana has reached is commensurate with their earnings over the years. They have achieved more with less while Nigeria has achieved less with much.

Just my 2 cents.

Best response and analysis so far......Am a Nigerian living in Ghana and must say this writer was just on point....Bunch of Nigerian Hypocrites, stay in Nigerian and enjoy your good food,stop condemning someone else source of satisfaction.

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by gascoign1(m): 3:03pm On Apr 21, 2017
[quote author=emmbet post=55746650]This issue of comparing Nigeria and Ghana has been over flogged and debated for a very long time.

As a Nigeria currently based in Ghana and married to a Ghanaian lady, I would say that:

Food: It depends on the cook like someone mentioned earlier and we can't factually opine that Nigerian food is better or Ghanaian food is better. But one thing that I know is a fact is that Nigeria has more variety in foods than Ghana.

Security: As the OP mentioned, Ghana is secure not because their security forces are that good but mostly because the crime wave is low and the average Ghanaian is more law abiding than the average Nigerian. They have more respect for constituted authority.
For starters, criminals in Nigeria are much more sophisticated than their Ghanaian counterparts. We have heard stories of robbers using explosives to rob banks in Nigeria but in Ghana, this does not happen. Ghanaian police does not yet have experience of these kind of violent and sophisticated crime operations. In Ghana, most banks don't use revolving doors like banks in Nigeria. Some even still use sliding glass doors.
The Ghanaian police are much more professional and cautious than their Nigerian counterparts. Countless times, they've let me off with just a warning and without paying a bribe.
I have also had a case where I paid for an apartment that was still occupied and after I reported to the Police, they did a professional job and made sure I got back my money.
Also, Ghanaian police does not harrass innocent citizens in checkpoints like Nigerian police. Once they see you respect them and have good manner of approach, you can get away with anything.

Road Networks: Yes it is true that most of the national highways in Ghana are single carriage ways. Roads like Aflao-Tema, Accra-Winneba-Cape Coast-Takoradi all the way to Cote d'Ivoire border are all mostly single carriage.
Also Accra-Kumasi-Kintampo-Tamale-Wale Wale-Bolgatanga till Burkina Faso border at Paga are all mostly single carriage ways. But the amazing thing is that most of these roads are well maintained and in good condition.
Nigeria has better road network than Ghana. Both innercity roads and national highways but Ghanaian highways are more maintained. This fact is not debatable.

Business climate: It is much more easier to run a business in Ghana than Nigeria. Only disadvantage in Ghana is their high capital requirement for foreigners to register business. But in terms of ease of doing business, Ghana is better in all ramifications and with less bureaucracy than Nigeria. When I was registering my company in Ghana, I lost my Tax Id No certificate which was given to me. I was surprised when I walked to the GRA office at Ministries in Accra and explained to someone there. He just asked for my name and checked it on the system and printed a new one for me. He did this within a minute and without asking for egunje.
Startups have more likelihood of surviving in Ghana than in Nigeria and Ghanaian businesses men and women have more access to credit facilities than Nigeria.
The disadvantage in Ghana is that they don't have the population and purchasing power that we have in Nigeria. As a result of the high cost of living in Ghana, most households spend a higher percentage of their income on food alone and will have little or less to spend on other things that they don't consider important.

Cost of living: Ghana has a very high cost of living even with their stable electricity compared to Nigeria. Example, a bottle of coke in Ghana is about 2 cedis (200 naira) but in Nigeria now it is about 70-80 naira (0.7-0.8 cedis).
Also bottle of canned malta guiness goes for 150 naira retail in Nigeria but in Ghana, it is about 3 cedis (300 naira). I actually know a friend that imports drinks from Nigeria to sell in Ghana and he is making a killing from it.
In terms of transport, the fare from point A to point B are the same no matter the time of the day in Ghana unlike in Nigeria where this is not the case and before any increase in transport fares, the transport unions meet and agree on a particular amount to add to a specified route.
Coming to the airlines, they are never late. On many occasions that I have used African World Airlines and Starbow Airlines from Accra to Tamale, they are always on schedule. And even on the Accra-Lagos route, this is the same thing. We cannot say the same of Nigerian airlines like Arikair.

In summary, I would say that both countries have their weak and strong points. If Ghana had the money that Nigeria has earned over the years, they would have done better.
From what I can see, the achievements and heights that Ghana has reached is commensurate with their earnings over the years. They have achieved more with less while Nigeria has achieved less with much.

Just my 2 cents.

Very on point, best analysis so far....unbiased....I am a Nigerian for life....But i wont tolerate bunch of Nigerian Hypocrites..stay in your country if their food is horrible. For the little they have, they made the best of it.....What are we enjoying as Nigerians?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by gascoign1(m): 3:13pm On Apr 21, 2017
[quote author=duullie88 post=55765689]Ghana this ,ghana that.. 4 God sake how can u compare ghana with Nigeria, like r u sleeping on a bicycle, abI u dey fetch water with basket. . Class,wealth,manpower,beauty,brains,entertainment,infastructure ,great african men, ppl wey dey talk like say teeth no complete 4 dia mouth.. any small tin dem go just dey shout charlie charlie (dat y dem look like charlie charlie).. even d so called electricity na wash..it is easier to furnish a 1 room apartment to taste than furnish an entire estate.. plug ghana source of electricity to Nigeria power grid and see if d power station no go xplode. .ghana airport is this, ghana sea port is dis.. D shipments tru 9ja ports a day Is equivalent to dia shipment in a year and 2days ;

I pray you receive sense. Even if we decide to compare a state in Nigeria to Ghana,no state is well organized like Ghana. Human right is more expressed in Ghana. Freedom of speech and a well coordinated electoral system.

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Just30: 3:17pm On Apr 21, 2017
onila:

ghana economy ain't that bad
and they have produced great people like kofi annan, boris kodjoe

and have some goodlooking people

but have a similar culture with black americans

Africans are known to be cultured. .thats what sets us apart from the black slaves
but Ghanaians are the opposite

Ghanaians are the most tolerant people in Africe

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by AzontoGhost(m): 4:08pm On Apr 21, 2017
plantae:

I'm also in Kumasi, bro.
where in kumasi are you?
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by duullie88(m): 4:44pm On Apr 21, 2017
[quote author=gascoign1 post=55779103][/quote]

Shut up ur gutter mouth, which stupid electoral system or human right.. is ghana even on d map.. even for Africa ghana o get mouth .. nothing major happens in africa without nigeria being involved
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by skylane: 10:11pm On Apr 21, 2017
Just30:
when you get to the AU, you will know
please let's not compare Nigeria and ghana,please,forget the criminal activites,u all know it deep down Nigeria is the greatest country in africa,

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by gascoign1(m): 10:38pm On Apr 21, 2017
[quote author=duullie88 post=55781977]

Shut up ur gutter mouth, which stupid electoral system or human right.. is ghana even on d map.. even for Africa ghana o get mouth .. nothing major happens in africa without nigeria being involved

Your ignorance dey smell like public toilet, Ghana might be a small country,i repeat they are more organized than Nigeria. If you cant mention one thing you enjoy as a Nigerian then i suggest you go sleep for gutter. Come back with what you can boast of as a citizen of Nigeria and i will tell you ten things Ghanaian enjoy from there organized system. Idiot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by henrimoto(m): 1:07am On Apr 22, 2017
namuguibe:
Question: If I am in Ghana can I brag that I'm living abroad? grin
Lol.. As long as you cross river/ocean, Abroad na Abroad. Na When you no dey send better go house, na him you no go fit brag with Ghana as Abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by henrimoto(m): 1:54am On Apr 22, 2017
onila:

you guys are the black Americans of Africa

wild, no manners, rude

having children out of wedlock, single parenthood

and food poisoning jollof rice
han-han! Onila, na you dey talk like gel wey just finish Secondary school? Se na Nigeria no get single parenthood or children out of wedlock?
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by henrimoto(m): 2:48am On Apr 22, 2017
Laird:
Enuf of the Hate and Beef

We are all africans

I just came back from Ghana

Ghana is much neater and more organised than Nigeria

Ghanian roads are neater and in much better shape than most Nigerian roads

Ghanians are friendly and don't disturb You and mind their business if You don't look for their trouble

Ghana is far more expensive to buy things than in Nigeria; food, drinks, airtime , transport, services cost almost double the Nigerian price

Some of Nigerian.products like indomie noodles are popular in Ghana

Transport fare from Ghana to Lagos is more expensive than Transport fare from Lagos to Ghana so if You are planning a very short trip or journey from Lagos to Ghana, just buy Your going and return to and fro ticket at the same time in Nigeria to save money

A lot of Naija people are in Ghana

Police in Ghana are more calm, more respectful and more professional than Nigerian police

Transport.fare ABC,, budget 19 thousand five hundred with Naija or ecowas passport, 22 thousand without passport but You must have an I.D card like National I.D card or Voters card

It is cheaper buying and paying for Your Ghana to Lagos return ticket fee in Nigeria than buying or paying in Ghana

You will reach in the Night

Don't follow small car, follow registered transport company bus if not border immigration would extort almost all Your money

No job in Ghana.....Ghana is far more expensive than Nigeria
Thank You for the transport fare information.

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Nobody: 5:00am On Apr 22, 2017
emmbet:
This issue of comparing Nigeria and Ghana has been over flogged and debated for a very long time.

Just my 2 cents.

You have succeeded in contradicting yourself

I pity those of you who live in Ghana, your options are few compared to that of Nigerians living in Nigeria
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Nobody: 5:11am On Apr 22, 2017
[quote author=gascoign1 post=55778818][/quote]

What are we enjoying as Nigerians? Cheaper goods and services, bigger land mass, bigger population, you can relocate to any one of the 36 states we have and chose the one that favors you most, you can set up businesses with ease and get permits after you have made money from it(no one will ask you for your business registration except you need something from government), tax cuts, the list is endless, try to look inwards with an unbiased mind
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Nobody: 5:16am On Apr 22, 2017
iamord:
if you Nigerian then am tripping. it absurd to have an opinion and impose it on others.. different stokes for different people the first time I saw amala I was,like yuck ! black food with the sticky ewedu.. but it tasted pretty good. and I will be looking forward to eating it again.. my p with Nigeria,is that its hard to get quality food except you gonna spend extra bucks... indomie seems to be the only quicky food available. and that's disappointing

Quality food is the easiest thing you can get here, next time come with someone sensible. With one cedi you can even eat delicacies lol I just had a plate on Nkwobi (assorted meat and cow pepper soup) for a good price so food is tasty and cheap here, trust me (indomie and other noodles are for kids and people who don't have time)
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Nobody: 5:24am On Apr 22, 2017
Ironi:

What is there to be respected about Nigeria?

You see, before Nigeria, there was Ghana so you should be showing respect to Ghana.st

Ghana is respected in the world and all over Africa because they know.

The older Nigerians also know.

You Nigerian youth of today don't know shiit so you think you are all that.

Ghana must go ooo! lol, Nigerians don't respect you so deal with it
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by duullie88(m): 7:10am On Apr 22, 2017
[quote author=gascoign1 post=55791161][/quote]

Wetin ur organization do 4 ur country,carry ur organization take go collect money for bank (organised without money 4 pocket ) Ghanaians kill for anytin Nigerian. . Arguing with u is just stupid, my economy kill ur economy, natural resources I kill u, human resources I kill u, Market I kill u, u no near me for anytin,
Organization My Foot

D only tin I know abt ghana na say una black pass charcoal and una girls get big yansh and a face u cover with pillow while getting down
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Just30: 7:56am On Apr 22, 2017
skylane:
please let's not compare Nigeria and ghana,please,forget the criminal activites,u all know it deep down Nigeria is the greatest country in africa,
only in your mind
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Just30: 8:02am On Apr 22, 2017
duullie88:

Wetin ur organization do 4 ur country,carry ur organization take go collect money for bank (organised without money 4 pocket ) Ghanaians kill for anytin Nigerian. . Arguing with u is just stupid, my economy kill ur economy, natural resources I kill u, human resources I kill u, Market I kill u, u no near me for anytin,
Organization My Foot

D only tin I know abt ghana na say una black pass charcoal and una girls get big yansh and a face u cover with pillow while getting down
which mental institution did you come from?

1 Like

Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Just30: 8:04am On Apr 22, 2017
Pidgin2:

Ghana must go ooo! lol, Nigerians don't respect you so deal with it
and who respect Nigerians? Here, your people get locked up all the time because they are uncivilized.
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by Just30: 8:05am On Apr 22, 2017
Pidgin2:

You have succeeded in contradicting yourself

I pity those of you who live in Ghana, your options are few compared to that of Nigerians living in Nigeria
pity yourself
Re: Living In Ghana, My Experience. by iamord(m): 11:01am On Apr 22, 2017
Pidgin2:

Quality food is the easiest thing you can get here, next time come with someone sensible. With one cedi you can even eat delicacies lol I just had a plate on Nkwobi (assorted meat and cow pepper soup) for a good price so food is tasty and cheap here, trust me (indomie and other noodles are for kids and people who don't have time)
LOL LOL LOL... i was making reference to dinning in nigeria of which i have seen it to be a norm amongst peeps here.. i know nigeria like the palms mam wink i would rather take you to some spots you never even knew where there... there are two sides of lagos you know..?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Dashcam Footage Of Otedola Bridge Tanker Fire/Explosion / Inside The Monster C5-Galaxy Aircraft That Carries The US President's Motorcade / 12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.