Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,244 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport (41036 Views)

An Overview Of The 10 Lane Oshodi-Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Pics / Atedo Peterside's Anap Jet Robbed At Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Rats Hanging From The Ceiling At Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 19, 2017
At the airport ryt now.. U won't believe that this is what is happening ryt now..

The officer met this woman and said if she's carrying any food stuffs she has to declare it.. If not they will drop her bag she paid 2k now now..

I walked upfront good u believe no other person has the tag on the there bags..

Giving the woman certificate even saying she needs it.. Omo make unah see oo

3 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 4:14pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

LMAO

You be rugged fellow
if you no open eyes for them , them go chop u finish especially when u have virgin passport, my first international experience I learn alot, if they knw u as a troublesome they will mark ur face and avoid u like plague, one of the officer spoil my watch while searching my bag, and I made him part with 3k, just be careful with ur bags if u are troublesome bcux they can blackmail you with illegally substance
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 19, 2017
joeluv:
The begging is so embarrassing gosh. All of them from the start to the end point. Another one they have started is paying 2k for agricultural quarentine receipt. grin grin
check my post and see the pictures e happen last nyt
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Odani: 4:15pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

I'm yet to see an international airport where trolleys are free.

@Topic, welcome to Nigeria!

U sure u don travel out b4?
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by hillsway(m): 4:17pm On Aug 19, 2017
joeluv:
The begging is so embarrassing gosh. All of them from the start to the end point. Another one they have started is paying 2k for agricultural quarentine receipt. grin grin
One man on that quarantine point told me ,it cost 10k for that same lousy reciept.I just look am bad eye,risk my food stuff enter plane with hope same make them do their worst.My luggage follow me intact reach where I dey go.So no mind that scam of a receipt,lock your bag and see them trying to open am without your consent if you no go sue the airline.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Jaqenhghar: 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

It's very bad

Why must respect be tied to how much you are worth?
Shame undecided

By the way tho, are you an African back packer like me?
Unfortunately no
But Id like to hear your experiences. How long uave you been back packing?

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by LordOfNaira: 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2017
tellwisdom:

U say wetin?? If i pay for trolleys abroad, then i see no reason arguing with her. I hope u no dey mistake ur local trip for international?? sad

How many international trips have you even made that you are feeling high?

How many airports have free trolleys?

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by PDPGuy: 4:19pm On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Los Angeles and Houston, at least.
Yes. Trolleys cost $5 for departing passengers, and it is free for arriving passengers.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by EbolaParasite: 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Los Angeles and Houston, at least.

Trolleys free in Houston. For where? This same IAH??
Unless you picked up a trolley that somebody already used, THEY ARE NOT FREE.
To release them from the rack, YOU HAVE TO PAY
If you pick up a trolley that is loose or just seating idly, it is because someone already paid to use it and left it behind.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by correct7: 4:28pm On Aug 19, 2017
It has happened to my brother when he was travelling to Dubai. They delayed him ,if not that i promised to settle them. He nearly miss his flight
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 19, 2017
See as ppl de make sense abroad I still de within one Nigeria state.

Heeeeelllp

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 19, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

excuse me but who is the government?
Sometimes we talk as of the government are from Mars who forced themselves on people.
The government is made up of Nigerins. everday you and me who think its right to steal who call stealing sharpness and 419being smart. Now a man who is raised in a society that believes that stealing is being smart , do you think his mentality will change because he has been elected to be a council chairman or a police officer?
In fact I have seen people who served as public officials and did not steal. While other government officials praise them for their honesty, sadly I see the grassroot people insult them and call them fools for not stealing public funds
we are saying the same thing. The government make laws. See, once there is a failure in a management system, there is little subordinates can do to sustain the system. Thats my point. We don't need the government to tell us to do good, but we need the government to do good. If not they can frustrate the system like we have

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

You too have been to Niger?

In my experience there, I got to see what the problem with Nigeria is, especially those of us from the South.

We lack contentment as a people, and are too materialistic and greedy.

In Niamey, Ouaga and even Abomey Calavi that I have spent considerable time in, we are far better of than most of the population, but they are contented.

I saw real happiness, I saw happy children wearing worn out clothes playing with happiness, especially in Abomey, but they help each other, content, and happy

But in my country, we want to have all, a child in Lagos will feel wretched if his father does not buy him the latest gadgets, and a young man will be feeling inadequate because he has not yet bought a car worth millions like some of his mates have and the list is endless.

So what do you expect in such a society?

Stealing, Extortion, Begging, desperation and get rich quick or die trying mentality

That's what we suffer, and the mess at MMIA shows all that
I am sure this why charity organisations donate more to this regions. Your post says it all... non contentment, competition and greed. A social problem that cut across every age group.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by andyanders: 4:51pm On Aug 19, 2017
They are all criminals. They are officials robbers. Most times I wonder why nobody is doing anything about their behavior. I believed that those of their seniors gets something in return. It is an organized syndicates that come together to carry out the crime. Both the law enforcement officers are involved and they share their proceeds. How come that those that collect those bribes are not arrested if the law officers are not involved? That is Nigeria for you.

I was coming from the US and a lady was over me and I got pissed off cus of her attitude and I never gave a dime.fvck them all.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by davidif: 4:51pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ezniteadin:
Have you been to the Murtala Muhammad international Airport lately?

It is the most crowded Airport in my experiences, the prying eyes and busybodies waiting to latch on to your purse forcefully by all gimmicks

They beggarly initiate all method of trickery to collect bribe from travelers

The lack of CCTV surveillance camera is one major reason the attending offices are the more brazen,

they practically beg for money and threaten you if you refuse to grease their corrupt palms

You wonder why Government workers are so bold to Beg for money in an international airport

They search your Bags with bare hands and look for what is not lost, whereas other countries of the world would pass your bags through a search machine to spot items not fit for travel

Nigerian Airport workers practically search your bag in attempts to find anything for which they can collect bribe from you even your underwaer

I am just wondering, Any Nairalander who have experienced this brazen thievery by employed and unemployed loiters at the Airport

The Nigerian government is pretending and acting as if bribe does not happen at the airport Or else, something should have been done to stem this shameful acts of international embarrassment

what is your story at the airport ?

That airport is a mess. It's a classic case of dysfunction.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 4:52pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ogbajie:
I have to login after a long while due to the seriousness of this matter. I have been viewing threads as a guest. It is very shameful that in our international airports such happen. Two weeks ago I traveled and returned from Singapore through Aminu Kano Intl Airport. I was to go from Abuja but resorted to Kano because I couldn't get a seat on Ethiopian via Abuja. what I experienced on my arrival at the airport was not only demeaning but disgraceful for a country that prides itself as the giant in Africa. The Custom officials in their manner less and untrained dispositions striped my baggage with bare hands flying my personal effects left right and center. one lady was busy admiring some stuffs I bought as gift items for friends. imagine that! I had to shout at them angrily to the extent that their oga called me out trying to apologize. That was after I had identified myself as a federal employee who was coming from an international training. It was so embarrassing considering the extent nations had advanced in their immigration operandi. At Singapore, I was cleared without speaking to anyone on departure. The process was fully automated. slot in your passport and imprint your tumb for biometric capturing and the passage is cleared for you. I have been to many international airports abroad but I have never seen such disdainful practice.

Corruption in Nigeria starts from the president who appoints paddy paddy ministers and functionaries. These people feel they have been settled and assume office with the aim of eating national cake. They set 'targets' for their staff to 'return' and pay more attention to enriching themselves than the job they are paid to do. This is the modus operandi of the customs, immigration, police, navy and civil service. Were it not so, what you describe here would be easy to solve: fire the supervisor (not the culprit herself) of any official caught in violation. Appoint a new supervisor and fire him too if his staff exhibit corruption.

Watch how fast things change.

5 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bigerboy200: 4:52pm On Aug 19, 2017
tellwisdom:

Na free, sis.
Free in some airports..while some charge...
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 19, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

Well said brother. Yes Ive been to Niger a few times and thats the beauty of the place... you get treated like a human being. Here you have to have money before people show you any respect. Messenger wants to be a millionaire and os not ready to work for it, and No, its not just a southern thing its all over the country
he meant Nigeria is south since Niger is up on the map
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 19, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Corruption in Nigeria starts from the president who appoints paddy paddy ministers and functionaries. These people feel they have been settled and assume office with the aim of eating national cake. They set for their staff and pay more attention to enriching themselves than the job they were paid to do. This is the modus operandi of the customs, immigration, police, navy and civil service. Were it not so, what you describe here would be easy to solve: fire the supervisor (not the culprit herself) of any official caught in violation. Appoint a new supervisor and fire him too if his staff exhibit corruption.

Watch how fast things change.
exactly the point I made. It is from the top. To correct this we have to start from top. That Ghanian that killed the corrupt Ghanian politicians did not make any mistake. No matter how some citizens try to live right, a corrupt government can frustrate them into something else. Corruption fight needs to start from the presidency, no sentiments
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:04pm On Aug 19, 2017
majekdom2:
exactly the point I made. It is from the top. To correct this we have to start from top. That Ghanian that killed the corrupt Ghanian politicians did not make any mistake. No matter how some citizens try to live right, a corrupt government can frustrate them into something else. Corruption fight needs to start from the presidency, no sentiments

Tribalism is the problem in Nigeria and it is a problem that cuts both ways. The first Nigerian coup of 1966 shows how bad things have been and for how long. All the people that died in it deserved to die: Sardauna, Okotie-Eboh, Akintola. Forget all the nonsense people say about their innocence. They were all criminals. But again, the coup plotters showed their tribal leanings by allowing their kin to escape.

The problem has been with us for a looong while.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 19, 2017
It is a way to quickly introduce foreigners to what to expect in our great Country....nd'ewo, ekabo, inagajia grin
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 19, 2017
majekdom2:
Bros pardon my interruption....yes the political class is corrupt, but this is a symptom of a wider degenerate followership...so if you're talking of government corruption, you're inadvertently describing you and I.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 19, 2017
This is the first thread in years I will read from begining to the end without getting distraction from page one. No afonja and Igbos shouting miscrants that waste away their lives here on social media while the government officials they are fighting for never give a dam about the rots of the system.
Go to all neighouring countries too. Well organized and matured. Even if they want you to give them something, they make it with smile and if you don't give anything they just take it as is it.
Everything is wrong with majority ofNigerian mentality. There way this people even ask for irrelevant things at the airport especially mma is damn frustrating and provoking. They will want to delay you without any reason. You think the CCTV is not working for a purpose? Let them reinstall it and you will see that within a month, they will delebrately damage it . All their ogas know what is going on and they will never allow it to work. They take kick backs from them. They have target daily and if they don't meet it they will be replaced the next day. It is a rotten system. We took independence too early because we are not ready for the the development . everywhere is corrupt. Even if you escape immigration, you lodge to a hotel, almost same. You get to a family place, and you went out for a trip before you come back probably from outing, some of things might have been ransacked by someone you likely don't expect. It is in individual, it is the system and it is embarrassing.
Only way out is to allow strange and foreign managers overhaul the whole process and probably concess it to them and see things changed .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by hillsway(m): 5:23pm On Aug 19, 2017
UncleJudax:

I travelled last year with a virgin passport. I made up my mine from home that I was not gonna part with 1naira, and I didn't.

They are crazy, just like every other government establishment in Nigeria. Never happy with their salaries!
dude you're the luckiest person alive.Those immigration guys made me miss my flight(got to the airport by 6.30 am,so as to catch a flight scheduled for 10 am.

checked in my luggages between 7.30-8 am,after which I proceeded to the immigration point to be cleared as usual.

Met an elderly man(whom I'd rather refer to as an elderly thief who's Children and grand children(both alive and yet unborn) would suffer for the trauma he and his cohort made me go through.

First question asked by him was,so you're leaving to blablabla for what exactly(which seem professional enough,so i responded likewise "heading there for a job offer sir"wink.

SO HOW MUCH DOLLARS DO YOU HAVE ON YOU?
We don't use dollars sir and moreover I've got a taxi guy on stand by, waiting to take me to my apartment once I arrive.
This I suspected threw this OLD FOOL off balance,thereby making him direct me to another thief on standby who asked me to follow him for questioning.

Oga so you mean,you are traveling with no dollars on you,said thief number 2! I nodded in the affirmative trying to explain,that I've got a dollar card with which I intend making withdrawal when I land.

Next is:
So what do you have to settle ground with?
Me wan play sharp delta boy with a true Nigeria mentality of "NO BRIBE MUST BE PAID TO GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS WHO'S SALARIES AND OTHER INCENTIVES COMES REGULARLY"

Sorry sir,but I don't have a dime to give to anyone.

From there na inside one small immigration room I see myself(ME A NIGERIAN,WHO STANDS STILL FROM A MILLION MILES AWAY WHEN EVER THE NATIONAL ANTHEM GETS SANG).

At this time,everyone had already boarded,only for the flight manager(Etihad) to make his way to that room,of which they told him to unpack my luggages and wait for further instruction.

NA SO I LOOSE MY FLIGHT,BUT I GAIN ONE SERIOUS EXPERIENCE:

Whosoever chooses to sanitize that system has got the devil to contend with,as from my observation those guys are placed there to carry out those act by powers that be.

You've got to recruit vibrate youths,who's undergone training on human relationship/cc so as to learn and unlearn certain things.

I go upload my ticket of then(missed ticket) just so una go verify,just say those thieves name elude my memories.

Has anyone observed that most BENIN ladies you find working in M.M.A most times act as drunk? as far as professionalism is concerned.
(Talking from experience,cause I met 3 during my ordeal and all they could say while I was trying to explain was...NO TALK TO ME,JUST MOVE GO THAT SIDE FAST FAST FAST FAST!)

That I had to pay 100$ to reschedule wasn't the problem,but that everyone I met encouraged me to bribe my way through, on my next journey was baffling.

4 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 1metre: 5:25pm On Aug 19, 2017
Am waiting for them on my next arrival, I will break someone head there. Criminals.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 5:28pm On Aug 19, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

Unfortunately no
But Id like to hear your experiences. How long uave you been back packing?

For a few years.now.

It has been rewarding, taking flights and road trips to different countries.

What will you like to know?

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 19, 2017
GogobiriLalas:
Bros pardon my interruption....yes the political class is corrupt, but this is a symptom of a wider degenerate followership...so if you're talking of government corruption, you're inadvertently describing you and I.
it depends on how you see it. Yes, people say Nigeria is corrupt and that is because a majority of the populace is. Corruption was a thing of life and death in china. This helped them. There were no sentiments. once you are caught, you are gone. This is the only way Nigeria can be sustainable if she is ready to. Why do you think the police extort as they do? why do you think what is happening at the airport is a Norm? Their superiors travel through same airport, dont they? EFCC and ICPC officials travel through same airport, dont they? if corruption is a degenerate of followership, how then can we correct it..... It can only be corrected from the top. They are the ones with the power to make the right laws and execute them. if your had a boss that was an accomplice in stealing company funds and say he later died. If you have a new boss that's quite truthful and modest, will you have the mind to steal? knowing fully that you risk going to jail and loosing your job..... this is my point. Its not about me admitting I am not corrupt or not. its about how the system can work

3 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by gragraboy: 5:38pm On Aug 19, 2017
chomchom1:
That's d zoo 4 u
We hear Mr gorila. Your father and fore fathers have been animals in this zoo before you were born you too will live & die here. Better have some respect for your country and stop being silly.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Jaqenhghar: 5:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

For a few years.now.

It has been rewarding, taking flights and road trips to different countries.

What will you like to know?
For one which countries have you been to?
How did you get this travel itch?
How do you fund your travels?

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 19, 2017
EbolaParasite:

Trolleys free in Houston. For where? This same IAH??
Unless you picked up a trolley that somebody already used, THEY ARE NOT FREE.
To release them from the rack, YOU HAVE TO PAY
If you pick up a trolley that is loose or just seating idly, it is because someone already paid to use it and left it behind.

Yep, IAH.

Totally free. No neeed for long stories.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 19, 2017
priceaction:
[b]This is the first thread in years I will read from begging to the end without getting distraction from page one. No afonja and Igbos shouting miscrants that waste away their lives here on social media [/b]while the government officials they are fighting for never give a dam about the rots of the system.
Go to all neighouring countries too. Well organized and matured. Even if they want you to give them something, they make it with smile and if you don't give anything they just take it as is it.
Everything is wrong with majority ofNigerian mentality. There way this people even ask for irrelevant things at the airport especially mma is damn frustrating and provoking. They will want to delay you without any reason. You think the CCTV is not working for a purpose? Let them reinstall it and you will see that within a month, they will delebrately damage it . All their ogas know what is going on and they will never allow it to work. They take kick backs from them. They have target daily and if they don't meet it they will be replaced the next day. It is a rotten system. We took independence too early because we are not ready for the the development . everywhere is corrupt. Even if you escape immigration, you lodge to a hotel, almost same. You get to a family place, and you went out for a trip before you come back probably from outing, some of things might have been ransacked by someone you likely don't expect. It is in individual, it is the system and it is embarrassing.
Only way out is to allow strange and foreign managers overhaul the whole process and probably concess it to them and see things changed .
obviously, the ones shouting afonja and ipob belong to the very lower class. I have said that before. many of them have not had the opportunity to travel via air talk more leaving the country thus they are not informed about what is being discussed on this thread.
secondly, it shows that we have a problem as many do not bother to engage on some critical issues simply because they feel it does not affect them i.e they are not in the country. I am referring to the upper class here. I have just made a point where i stated clearly that their superiors are aware of what they are doing and thats why they can do whatever they are doing like it is normal. I do not think foreign interference will work. No matter the branding, if the content is bad, it is bad.

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 19, 2017
emwye:

Which airport in Houston?

IAH.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Traveling To Ghana Via Abc Transport / Photo Of The Nigerian Air Force Helicopter Which Crashed Into A Water In Borno. / World's Longest Non-stop Passenger Flight Takes Off From Singapore To New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.