Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,213 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

How Long Should An Engine Last? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Long Should An Engine Last? (9811 Views)

6 Indications Your Car Needs An Engine Rebuilt / These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair / When An Engine "Knocks" - These Are Some Likely Causes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by tstx(m): 7:35am On Apr 21, 2017
dpete1:

A Abeg no buy motor o, na car make you buy... There is difference between car and motor... Volkswagen Passat na motor, honda crosstour na car. grin
lwtmb... OK. I go buy car
Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by sakalisis(m): 7:36am On Apr 21, 2017
Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by eghuan1(m): 7:37am On Apr 21, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

I have a 534000km w202 Mercedes c180

shocked where have you been driving the car to. Did you go to South Africa with it? How many years have you been driving that car?

Bros, e yaf reach to get new one o

2 Likes

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by jonsm: 7:42am On Apr 21, 2017
It all depends on the type of engine you have
Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by SmartchoicesNG: 7:44am On Apr 21, 2017
eghuan1:

shocked where have you been driving the car to. Did you go to South Africa with it? How many years have you been driving that car?

Bros, e yaf reach to get new one o
Produced in 1993.... Entered obodo Nigeria few years afterwards

1 Like

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by kulikuli45: 7:55am On Apr 21, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Did I see 300K KM? Oga go and buy another one before the car vex for you

Not necessarily. I own 2 Land cruisers. 2000 FZJ105 (Petrol) and 2007 HZJ105 (diesel). The FZJ is almost 400,000 km, HZJ at 241k now. Both engines still going strong, despite being put thru grueling off-road conditions.

The Toyota straight-6 engine is known to deliver over 500,000 km if given routine maintenance.

Same as the early diesel Mercedes G-Wagen...290GD, and Land Rover Defender tdi (which I also own).

1 Like

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by tendercruise1: 7:59am On Apr 21, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

I have a 534000km w202 Mercedes c180
Kai that car don finish

1 Like

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by eghuan1(m): 8:43am On Apr 21, 2017
kulikuli45:

Not necessarily. I own 2 Land cruisers. 2000 FZJ105 (Petrol) and 2007 HZJ105 (diesel). The FZJ is almost 400,000 km, HZJ at 241k now. Both engines still going strong, despite being put thru grueling off-road conditions.

The Toyota straight-6 engine is known to deliver over 500,000 km if given routine maintenance.

Same as the early diesel Mercedes G-Wagen...290GD, and Land Rover Defender tdi (which I also own).

It's their nature. Ruggedness is the selling point of Toyota. Their engines have this never give up attitude built in them. From the Corolla to the Hiace busses, to the Hilux to the Land cruisers.

The only cars that are tougher than these are maybe the Defender and the 504 station wagon.
Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by shegzy121: 8:50am On Apr 21, 2017
My toyota camry 2.2 is 430,000km and still steams.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by Highvotage: 9:22am On Apr 21, 2017
Just yesterday night, I saw a vehicle on German online shop (OPEL ZAFIRA) which was 630k plus and still looking very strong like say its having less than 50k on it.
Its depend on maintenance and our road here in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by Slazim: 9:39am On Apr 21, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Did I see 300K KM? Oga go and buy another one before the car vex for you

Mine is 222,238 miles and still drops water from the exhaust in the mornings.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by BlackOnassis(m): 9:43am On Apr 21, 2017
Go and ask the Cubans who are still using American cars made in the 50s.

1 Like

Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 21, 2017
femi4:
My engine don die....I dey do oil top up for about a yr now. A little above 160,000 miles sha...e don try

What make?
Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by SmartchoicesNG: 11:03am On Apr 21, 2017
tendercruise1:

Kai that car don finish
I sold it for $2000 ... cheesy
Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by femi4: 11:21am On Apr 21, 2017
emmachukwu99:

What make?
honda
Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by clemz85(m): 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2017
My mileage is @ 338,000+, the car still idle silently, the key I do not over Rev, regular maint.
Re: How Long Should An Engine Last? by Davidkwame1234(m): 11:19am On Jun 10, 2017
AutoReportNG:
How long an engine lasts requires a long list of variables to consider before a time frame or mileage can be given. I have seen engines last less than 40,000 miles and others that lasted more than 300,000 miles. When it comes to the time an engine will last you, look at mileage per year or how the vehicle is stored if there is very low mileage on the engine.

Think of a 1916 car engine that is driven only 100 miles a year and put in storage after each use. After 100 years the engine will only have 10,000 miles on it. This motor may last a few hundred years before it would need rebuilding or replacement. This is why we use mileage to rate how long an engine will last.

Most engines on the road today are designed to last well over 100,000 miles. An engine will last much longer if the engine is not abused in any way and all maintenance that the manufacturer recommends is done on or before it is due. All repairs should done as soon as possible without damaging the engine by waiting to get repairs done, like overheating the engine from a failing water pump. If you take great care of the engine then it will last a long time for most manufacturers. Some manufacturers of engines made their engines from lower quality parts or materials and these engines may not last that long even if they are taken care of well.

Abusing the engine, no matter its quality, can and most likely will shorten the life of the motor. When you do not change the fluids and filters when recommended by the manufacturer then you will cause excessive part and component wear on parts like bearings, pistons, valves, or timing chains and gears. If the engine is overheated and driven till the engine stops because of ignoring the temperature gauge or warning lights, it can cause irreversible internal engine wear or damage. If the engine is used for towing all the time, like pulling a trailer everyday or hauling extra weight all the time, your engine works much harder than usual.

It’s like you walking ten miles every day wearing a heavy backpack versus not having the backpack on. You will get more tired and worn out with the extra load on you and over time may get problems with your body that you may not have gotten had you not been carrying the extra load. The same holds true with the engine. If it does less work it will last longer and require less maintenance and repairs.

The engine will last longer in most cases if you do not overload it all the time and keep up on scheduled maintenance. Make sure you get repairs done as soon as possible. Drive the vehicle normally without abusing the engine by over-revving it or overloading it.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/04/how-long-should-engine-last.html

but I have a car I just bought 3wks ago foreign use and I turned it into a taxi how long is it advisable to use this car 24/7 all through the month and year ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Better To Buy A Old Car With Low Mileage Or A Newer One With High Mileage? / What Brand Of Car Battery Is The Best? / 2015 Toyota War: Camry Vs Corolla Vs Avensis (2015)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.