Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,201 members, 7,807,679 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

University VS Reality - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / University VS Reality (780 Views)

Untold Reality About Jobs.what You Need To Learn To Get Big Six Digit Income / Is This The True Reality Of Nigeria's Unemployed Youth? / University Vs Reality - Do You Agree With This Excerpt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

University VS Reality by Franchise21(m): 7:27pm On Apr 20, 2017
I have always found it disheartening when a young man or woman would walk up to me, to ask for help getting a job and the conversation would play out something like this:

Job Seeker: “I graduated two years ago, and I haven’t been able to find a job. I was wondering if you could help in any way.”

Me: “I would be glad to help, what exactly are you looking for?” 

Job seeker: “I have applied for graduate roles within oil and gas, banking, and blue chip multinationals. But right now I just need a job. Anywhere that offers graduate positions will be fine.” 

Me: “I get it. But what I was asking is what line of work you had in mind.”

Job seeker: “Well, I have a degree in Business and International Relations, so I guess I can fit into most entry level graduate roles.” 

Me: “Do you have a preference?”

Job seeker: “Not really. Right now, anything would do. I just want a job to get my career going.”

Me: Poor thing. Life’s Compass is yet to be set. No discernible focus or direction. No obvious value proposition. Another one the system has failed. (My thoughts – I don’t say this out loud)

Me: “If I was to put you in front of an employer, what would you tell them that would convince them to say to you: ‘You seem to be the person we’ve been looking for, what you’ve just shared resonates with us and in fact, it’s exactly what we need. When can you start?’ ”

Job seeker: “Well, I would tell them I am hardworking, conscientious, self-motivated, a good team player, a fast learner, highly disciplined, I hardly ever fall ill, and I can work under pressure.” 

Me: I hear you. You will be perfect in a bar tending role. But seriously, is this all your University did for you? After four years? O Boy!!! They’ve short-changed you. Even better, you should just ask for a refund. The system is clearly failing somewhere. (I don’t say this out loud – all in my head).

Me: “There is a lot I think you need to understand about the world of work that would place you in the right frame of mind for life in general. 

The first thing you need to accept is that employers are not looking to help and support anyone. In fact, it’s the other way around. They need people that can help and support their vision and goals. I offer talks on this subject, you may want to attend, and they are free.’’ (… and it tails off from there.)

Four years of university education and not a lot to show for it. 

Conversations like these tell me there is a problem. Kids like these might as well be asking for handouts on any street corner. This got me thinking about the difference between “educating” a child and “preparing” them to thrive in the real world. “Yes” we educate our children but “No”, we do not prepare them for the capitalist world out there.

1 Like

Re: University VS Reality by Martinez19(m): 7:32pm On Apr 20, 2017
It most important thing a man should do is to prepare himself for the real world.
Re: University VS Reality by Martinez19(m): 7:32pm On Apr 20, 2017
The most important thing a man should do is to prepare himself for the real world.
Re: University VS Reality by whitebeard(m): 7:34pm On Apr 20, 2017
most of them don't even understand what they read..lecturers don't understand what they teach...it really messed up
Re: University VS Reality by Martinez19(m): 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2017
whitebeard:
most of them don't even understand what they read..lecturers don't understand what they teach...it really messed up
True talk. I have meet teachers who don't really know their fields. The reading culture of graduates is horrifying.
Re: University VS Reality by Franchise21(m): 7:40pm On Apr 20, 2017
Martinez19:
True talk. I have meet teachers who don't really know their fields. The reading culture of graduates is horrifying.
We just read to pass exams... That's all
Re: University VS Reality by Ademat7(m): 11:08am On Apr 21, 2017
OP ur submissions are true talk,I studied Agronomy(5yrs) grad 2014
2014-petrol attendant pre-nysc
2015-managed my sister's foodstuffs and soft drink store
2015-2016:Service year
2016-worked as building material(sandcrete,kebbs,interlocking) production supervision
2016-farm manager(tomato,cucumber, pepper,ugu,beetroot, kale)
2017 till date: mathematics and chess tutor

The journey is zigzag but the reason is because I don't want to stay with my parents (self sufficient) while the goal is to be

1.an investor
2.App and web developer
3.Politician (I want to make a change)

P.S: many things run through unemployed youth's mind but all they need is "someone" to cheer them up that their dream is achievable.
Re: University VS Reality by imma2(m): 12:47pm On Jun 04, 2017
I won't blame them because Nigeria as a country has beat down all their dreams and aspirations

(1) (Reply)

Job Vacancy Available With Salary As High As N40, 000 Or More Monthly / Sponge Limited Ongoing Recruitment / Vacancy For Corp Member Posted To Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.