Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything (5731 Views)

What Is The Maximum Mileage Of A Toyota Corolla? / Thomas Jones: Who Is The First Nigerian To Drive A Car? (PHOTO) / When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 8:41pm On Apr 20, 2017
Drive a Toyota that has been acting up lately . . . ?

Feel free to ask me and to the best of my knowledge and circumstances;

I will try to solve the issues.

Thank you
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by ayokenny37(m): 10:07am On Apr 21, 2017
thanks. i have a camry big daddy 4 plugs. car vibrates and jerks. changes plugs, nozzles, serviced injector and the jerks reduces but still there and its increases when AC is on.

No smoke from exhaust.

pls what else can be done?
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by amedualiyu(m): 12:06pm On Apr 21, 2017
I once had same issues but discovered that the temperature of my car was on cold. Temperature was adjusted to middle gauge and that solved the problem permanently. I was camry also.

thank you
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 12:56pm On Apr 21, 2017
amedualiyu:
I once had same issues but discovered that the temperature of my car was on cold. Temperature was adjusted to middle gauge and that solved the problem permanently. I was camry also.

thank you

I am curios; how did you manually adjust your temperature gauge to the middle ?
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 12:58pm On Apr 21, 2017
ayokenny37:
thanks. i have a camry big daddy 4 plugs. car vibrates and jerks. changes plugs, nozzles, serviced injector and the jerks reduces but still there and its increases when AC is on.

No smoke from exhaust.

Your car is struggling to breathe . . . replace the IACV (idle air control valve)

but not without first scanning the vehicle.
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by surefx(m): 12:58pm On Apr 21, 2017
ayokenny37:

No smoke from exhaust.

If your check-engine light is on, run a diagnosis on the car. Whatever codes you get, you can report back on here. Also, have the fuel tank strainer cleaned or replaced, and also the fuel filter, if they haven't been done recently.
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 1:08pm On Apr 21, 2017
Lets wait to hear from the dude who adjusted his temperature to the middle gauge !!!
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by surefx(m): 2:01pm On Apr 21, 2017
liquidcrystal73:
Lets wait to hear from the dude who adjusted his temperature to the middle gaouge !!!

Seems like he was just describing what he noticed when he got car back from mechanic smiley

1 Like

Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by conyema12(m): 2:45am On Apr 22, 2017
I have a Toyota RAV4 2006 model.
I am wondering when it's right to change the shocks. I have driven the car for over 2years now without changing the shocks, especially the front ones. I know it's not good to start throwing spare parts at a car like that without reason .

However I feel 2 years is enough time to drive a shock on Nigerian road.
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by MPVGoddess: 7:23am On Apr 22, 2017
2005 Toyota Sienna with one power door

Door Ajar light on the dashboard stays on

It seems to be resulting in a battery drain

How do I fix it so that the dashboard reports that all doors are locked?

Thanks
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by oppey2k5(m): 10:06am On Apr 22, 2017
My Toyota Solara car battery always going down, what can be the cause and what is the resolution/
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by bravolad(m): 10:41am On Apr 22, 2017
conyema12:
I am wondering when it's right to change the shocks. I have driven the car for over 2years now without changing the shocks, especially the front ones. I know it's not good to start throwing spare parts at a car like that without reason .

Lol. You do not necessarily need to replace your shocks if they are still very much intact. They could last for for the life span of the car depending on conditions of use. The only parts you replace are Brake, steering and differential fluids in the case of an AWD.

Replacing the stock shocks could lead to constantly replacing them especially if you are unable to get a genuine OEM.

My advise is to leave the shocks until such a time they fail.
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 10:55am On Apr 22, 2017
oppey2k5:
My Toyota Solara car battery always going down, what can be the cause and what is the resolution/

1. Test with a new & original battery (if car behaves normal; replace battery).

2. What's the Ah rating of your battery? It could be undersized.

3. Your alternator (generator) could be failing.

4. You have rogue agents draining your battery.

Simple diagnostics: Look for an electrician and TELL HIM TO DO A BATTERY LOAD TEST
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 10:57am On Apr 22, 2017
conyema12:

If it's not broken; why fix it?

1 Like

Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 10:59am On Apr 22, 2017
MPVGoddess:
2005 Toyota Sienna with one power door

Door Ajar light on the dashboard stays on

It seems to be resulting in a battery drain

How do I fix it so that the dashboard reports that all doors are locked?

Thanks

You have a faulty door switch or a compromised door switch circuit wiring.

Do the interior lights stay lit when all doors are closed and locked ?
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by MPVGoddess: 11:16am On Apr 22, 2017
liquidcrystal73:

You have a faulty door switch or a compromised door switch circuit wiring.

Do the interior lights stay lit when all doors are closed and locked ?

Thanks, let me investigate that but one more piece of detail which may be crucial, the none-power door left passenger does not flush with the vehicle body when closed and secondly if slight body pressure is exerted at the end closest to the fuel tank door, the door ajar light on the dashboard goes off.

What do you make of the above?
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 11:22am On Apr 22, 2017
MPVGoddess:

Thanks, let me investigate that but one more piece of detail which may be crucial, the none-power door left passenger does not flush with the vehicle body when closed and secondly if slight body pressure is exerted at the end closest to the fuel tank door, the door ajar light on the dashboard goes off.

What do you make of the above?

In there lies your answer . . .

When the door isn't flush with the body; the door switch makes partial or zero contact; hence
the "Door Ajar" light stays on . . . The interior lights would also stay on ( you might not notice, due to burnt out bulbs); except
you turn them off Manually.
So you might be looking at a "mechanical issue" here . .
Get a panel-beater to fix the door locking mechanism that that is closes completely !

1 Like

Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by MPVGoddess: 11:26am On Apr 22, 2017
liquidcrystal73:

In there lies your answer . . .

When the door isn't flush with the body; the door switch makes partial or zero contact; hence
the "Door Ajar" light stays on . . . The interior lights would also stay on ( you might not notice, due to burnt out bulbs); except
you turn them off Manually.
So you might be looking at a "mechanical issue" here . .
Get a panel-beater to fix the door locking mechanism that that is closes completely !

Thanks a million!
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by dan6019(m): 2:04pm On Apr 22, 2017
I have a landcruiser Prado, AWD, 2001. My problem is with the Auto transmission. I have just replaced the ATF thinking it is the cause of the problem because it got burnt. When the gear is in D or R, it behaves as if it is in Neutral, engine revvs high and no movement.

What do I do? I am scared of replacing the transmission, as you can hardly get a functional one without any problem. I may need to get this one checked and rebuilt, my concern is the expert to handle it. Can anyone recommend one. I am in Lekki, Lagos.

Thanks
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by onepence: 3:37pm On Apr 22, 2017
ayokenny37:

No smoke from exhaust.

a quick test,drive to a nearby car parts market ,test your car with a new set of Belgium spark plug WIRES, am almost certain its tgw culprit. This is based on experience and what I av learnt from this honorable forum.
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by thaqib(m): 3:46pm On Apr 22, 2017
2001 camry. Noticed poor acceleration (I have to depress turtle hard to get good acceleration) and fuel economy when timing belt was changed. Jerks. So does timing belt if not set well leads to all these?

1 Like

Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by DreCharles(m): 8:05pm On Apr 22, 2017
I'm about to service my car's transmission

A 2003 Toyota Avalon.

What atf is recommended?

Also at cold start, the car's rpm jumps to 1500, stays there for like 30 to 45 secs before gradually comes down to 1000, later to btw 850 and 900.

I also experience loss of power when taking a bend or driving uphill. Foot down on the pedal but car wouldn't respond accordingly.

I need your advice, pls
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 8:36pm On Apr 22, 2017
onepence:
a quick test,drive to a nearby car parts market ,test your car with a new set of Belgium spark plug WIRES, am almost certain its tgw culprit. This is based on experience and what I av learnt from this honorable forum.

There is really no need throwing parts at vehicle . . .
If a scan is done; it could pin-point the exact problem; else; we solve by elimination.
Instead of buying new spark plug wires/coils; he should test for continuity of current flow to the spark plugs
by checking for sparks when grounded . . .
DO NOT JUST CHANGE PARTS WITHOUT DIAGNOSIS . . very wrong !!!

1 Like

Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 8:48pm On Apr 22, 2017
DreCharles:
I'm about to service my car's transmission

A 2003 Toyota Avalon.

What atf is recommended?

Also at cold start, the car's rpm jumps to 1500, stays there for like 30 to 45 secs before gradually comes down to 1000, later to btw 850 and 900.

I also experience loss of power when taking a bend or driving uphill. Foot down on the pedal but car wouldn't respond accordingly.

I need your advice, pls

Toyota ATF Type IV

The high rev at cold start is normal for most modern vehicles . . . Worry not.

As per the loss of power: does it stall ? do you have any codes? could be a range of problems from as complex as a failing transmission to as simple as a bad air control valve
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 8:52pm On Apr 22, 2017
thaqib:
2001 camry. Noticed poor acceleration (I have to depress turtle hard to get good acceleration) and fuel economy when timing belt was changed. Jerks. So does timing belt if not set well leads to all these?

Confirm from mecho that the timing belt was well seated and aligned. There are actually marks/guide where it should align perfectly.

Poor acceleration? Bad/failing TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) . . . and a host of others

Look for an electrician and have him read live data; especially Throttle Position & Air Flow
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 8:53pm On Apr 22, 2017
MPVGoddess:

Thanks a million!

You're most welcome.
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 8:55pm On Apr 22, 2017
dan6019:
I have a landcruiser Prado, AWD, 2001. My problem is with the Auto transmission. I have just replaced the ATF thinking it is the cause of the problem because it got burnt. When the gear is in D or R, it behaves as if it is in Neutral, engine revvs high and no movement.

What do I do? I am scared of replacing the transmission, as you can hardly get a functional one without any problem. I may need to get this one checked and rebuilt, my concern is the expert to handle it. Can anyone recommend one. I am in Lekki, Lagos.

Thanks

I honestly hope it wasn't Abro you put in there during replacement.

CC: Kashif (recommended)
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by DreCharles(m): 9:17pm On Apr 22, 2017
liquidcrystal73:

Toyota ATF Type IV

The high rev at cold start is normal for most modern vehicles . . . Worry not.

As per the loss of power: does it stall ? do you have any codes? could be a range of problems from as complex as a failing transmission to as simple as a bad air control valve

I've not scanned it yet.

I only noticed that removing the battery terminals resets the ecu and clears the check engine light for some days. It then comes on again after I've driven it for miles
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by liquidcrystal73(m): 10:04pm On Apr 22, 2017
DreCharles:
I've not scanned it yet.

I only noticed that removing the battery terminals resets the ecu and clears the check engine light for some days. It then comes on again after I've driven it for miles

Battery terminal removal doesn't solve an issue . . . It's only used to clear some error codes AFTER THE PROBLEM MUST HAVE BEEN SOLVED; i.e. if you do not have access to a scanner to clear them.
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by fidtopade: 9:03am On Apr 23, 2017
Oil light issue: after my engine knocked and crackshaft and metal, 4 x pisting and rings, 2 x camp shaft replaced. The oil light always come up whenever the engine is on. But when you truttle it, the oil light goes of. I have change the oil switch and the oil pump, but this problem persist.
I still notice some noise from the engine when the car is being tuttled.

Please what could be responsible for these??
Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by fidtopade: 9:04am On Apr 23, 2017
DreCharles:
I've not scanned it yet.

Re: Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything by ironheart(m): 9:13am On Apr 23, 2017
bravolad:

Lol. You do not necessarily need to replace your shocks if they are still very much intact. They could last for for the life span of the car depending on conditions of use. The only parts you replace are Brake, steering and differential fluids in the case of an AWD.

Replacing the stock shocks could lead to constantly replacing them especially if you are unable to get a genuine OEM.

My advise is to leave the shocks until such a time they fail.
what?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I am Thinking Of Buying Volvo S40 For Uber, Am I On A Suicide Mission / Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. / Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.