Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

BREAKING NEWS: 30 Dies In Football Viewing Centre In Calabar - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / BREAKING NEWS: 30 Dies In Football Viewing Centre In Calabar (385 Views)

Ganduje Reopens Football Viewing Centres In Kano / Types Of Nigerians You Will See At A Football Viewing Centre (Memes) / See Photo Of The Survivors Of The Football Viewing Center Tragedy In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: 30 Dies In Football Viewing Centre In Calabar by Globallords(m): 10:26am On Apr 21, 2017

- At least 30 people have lost their lives after high tension electricity cable fell on the roof of a football viewing centre
- A source claims that 80 people were in the hall when the cable came down

Over 30 people have lost their lives at a football viewing centre in Calabar, Cross River state capital, after high tension electricity cable broke from its mooring and fell on the roof of the building.

According to Channels TV, the football fans were said to have assembled at the centre to watch a UEFA Europa League quarter-final match between Manchester United and Anderlecht on satellite television, a game the host won 2-1 (3-2) on aggregate to advance to the semi-final.
A survivor told The Punch that a transformer near the viewing centre located in the Iyang-Esu area of the Calabar Municipal local government area exploded during the match and this caused a high-tension cable to drop on the viewing centre.

The survivor said amid sobs: “It happened during the match between Manchester United and Anderlecht. I heard a deafening bang. I rushed out to see what was happening. When I turned back to go inside the viewing centre, I saw a cable coming down on the centre and this killed the viewers in the hall.

“It was a horrible sight to behold. I wish I didn’t come out to watch the match. Come to think of it, I have DStv at home but I enjoy watching matches at viewing centres. I could have been dead. I can’t believe that the people I was chatting and joking with a few minutes ago are all gone in a most anguishing way. This world is vain.”

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said more than eighty persons were in the hall when the cable came down.

The resident said:“The whole thing happened within a minute or two. It happened about 9:48pm. Those that died have been taken to the mortuary. A few that survived have been taken to hospitals.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, Cross River state Command, Irene Ugbo, confirmed the incident.

However, She said the number of casualties would be confirmed on Friday, April 21 (today).

https://sports.naij.com/1100547-breaking-over-30-football-viewers-die-calabar-manutds-game-anderlecht.html

(1) (Reply)

Weekend Premier League Fixtures For Saturday, April 22, 2017 / Another Madrid Derby In UCL As Real Madrid Faces Atletico In Semis / Didier Drogba Wants John Terry In Mls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.