Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,886 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:36 AM

Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking (1365 Views)

Tail Docking / People Must Show Love To Animals Not This Wickedness / Ear Cropping And Tail Docking, What Is Your View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by petsarena: 10:53am On Apr 21, 2017
A Client once approached me to dock her dog’s tail sometime ago; I asked her why she wanted to do so. She told me that:

The dog’s tail is reaching almost to the ground because it’s too long.
She wants the dog to be aggressive.
She wants the dog to look finer.
She feels the tail should be docked
Here are few reasons some pet owners want their dog’s tail docked. I then told her that the dog’s tail cannot be docked because

The tail bone has been formed because the Dog is about Four months of age.
Docking the tail is equivalent to cutting his communication with fellow dogs and humans via tail.
The Dog is a mixed breed and it does not belong to Molosser breeds people like docking their tails. Such breeds as Boerboel, Rottweiler.
I went on to tell her that tail docking is an outdated practice and has been outlawed by many kennel clubs abroad.
I finally told her that personally I don’t like docking tails and that I am doing the dog a disservice by amputating his tail for any reason. I love seeing dogs wag their tails when they are excited. It actually amuses me to see a dog tuck his tail in between his legs on sighting a fearful situation. I laugh when I see a dog I go to treat leave quietly with his tail tucked in between his legs.
Dogs use their tail to communicate different moods to their fellow dogs and humans alike. Why do you want to cut this communication for aesthetic purpose. Someone once told me that docking a dogs tail is akin to cutting part of a man tongue so as to make him finer. Is that not wickedness? Is it not high time we stopped this wickedness called tail docking? Apart from dis-enabling this all important communication channel of dogs, there a lot of draw back to docking of tail.

These drawbacks to docking of tails in dogs include

Injury that may lead to death

This just reminded me of one fellow who killed his mongrel by using a knife or matchet so it say to cut his tail. The dog eventually bled to death, this is attitude to amateurism on the part of this person .in uncontrolled bleeding this practice could lead to death to anaemia or shock.

Injury to nerve

The tail of a dog is highly innervated and if by mistake any of these nerves is severed during this cosmetic surgery , other complication may set like paralysis of a part of the body.

Infection

When not properly treated post surgery the docked tail may become infected with its attendant consequences.

Trauma

Another drawback to this wicked act is the trauma the dog passes before and after the amputation of the tail. On different occasion I carried this surgery before made up mind not to do it any longer,I could see the dog wriggling his body in pains even after administering anesthetic. The dog feels this pain overtly after the surgery he keeps licking the area while crying.

Source: [http://petsarena.com.ng/2017/03/lets-stop-wickedness-called-tail-docking/]

1 Like

Re: Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by welzyj2(m): 12:01pm On Apr 21, 2017
even thou you are not in support of tail docking it is absolutely wrong to tag it as wickedness.
I love it when mastiff's and rottie tails are docked.

1 Like

Re: Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by Waspy(m): 12:39pm On Apr 21, 2017
I'm expecting Seun to back this movement.

Its funny how and why docked dogs still wag their stump.
Re: Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 22, 2017
Some breeds doesn't look smart with tails, hence the docking.
Re: Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by fifi00719(m): 12:57am On May 02, 2017
We are traditional dog lovers. Docking for is is a way of life. No matter how pure a Rott is I will never buy it if it has a tail

1 Like

Re: Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by Baroba(m): 4:34am On May 02, 2017
I will never buy a dog that's has had its tail cruelly severed, " docking " is a cute name given to this barbaric practice.. Glad to say most civilised countries are putting an end to this medieval practice.. It has no place in modern society.
Re: Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by Greene66: 6:25am On May 02, 2017
Docking is pure wickedness.

I hate seeing dogs without their tails. A true dog lover would consider the emotions and feelings of the dog not just their own.
Re: Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by blackboy(m): 3:39pm On May 02, 2017
Wickedness? Hmmm more should be let's stop this fashion.

If done right and at the right age the pain might be reduced.

The owner's and buyers choice. Perhaps we should say humans should stops circumcision, ear piercing, sixth finger and toe removing etc
Re: Let’s Stop This Wickedness Called Tail Docking by Juhann(f): 5:13pm On May 02, 2017
Just because something is the norm, doesnt make it okay. I think tail docking is cruel and should be banned angry

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Tailed Rottweiler Or Docked Rottweiler, Which Do You Prefer And Why? / German Shepherd Puppy For Sale Urgently / Photos: Chronicles Of A Rat Killer: See What This Guy Did To A Rat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.