₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1,964,102 members, 4,095,178 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 February 2018 at 10:38 PM

5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share (19489 Views)

5 Easy Steps To Insert References In Your Project/ Thesis / 5 Easy Ways To Get Admitted In 2017 Apart From JAMB / 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Gospelchinonso(m): 12:53pm On Apr 21, 2017
There are some people who like reading as a habit, and there are some people who only read because they’re told to. There is another kind of person who wants to make reading a habit, but just can’t do it. Well, here’s a way to start developing your reading habit and make you a true book lover

1.Set times

You should have a few set times during every day when you’ll read for at least 30-60 minutes. These are times that you will read no matter what — triggers that happen each day. For example, make it a habit to read during breakfast and lunch (and even dinner if you eat alone). And if you also read every time you’re sitting on the can, and when you go to bed, you now have four times a day when you read for 30 minutes each — or 2 hours a day. That’s a great start, and by itself would be an excellent daily reading habit. But there’s more you can do.

2.Make a list

Keep a list of all the great books you want to read. You can keep this in your journal, in a pocket notebook, on your personal home page, on your personal wiki, wherever. Be sure to add to it whenever you hear about a good book, online or in person. Keep a running list, and cross out the ones you read. Tech trick : create a Gmail account for your book list, and email the address every time you hear about a good book. Now your inbox will be your reading list. When you’ve read a book, file it under “Done”. If you want, you can even reply to the message (to the same address) with notes about the book, and those will be in the same conversation thread, so now your Gmail account is your reading log too.

3.Find a quiet place.

Find a place in your home where you can sit in a comfortable chair (don’t lay down unless you’re going to sleep) and curl up with a good book without interruptions. There should be no television or computer near the chair to minimize distractions, and no music or noisy family members/ roommates. If you don’t have a place like this, create one.

4.Reduce television/Internet .

If you really want to read more, try cutting back on TV or Internet consumption. This may be difficult for many people. Still, every minute you reduce of Internet/TV, you could use for reading. This could create hours of book reading time.

5.Don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

No kidding. If you find yourself being stressed while reading a book, don’t continue reading under pressure like that. Reading is for pleasure, not pressure, so don’t push yourself too hard until you might quit reading forever, or even if you can read, the outcome won’t be so good either.
source:http://www.academicrelated.com/2015/10/5-easy-ways-to-build-a-good-reading-habit-share/

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Nobody: 7:12am On Apr 22, 2017
Noted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Friedyokes: 7:13am On Apr 22, 2017
Wetin I go do about the sleep wae dae com wen I carry book

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by M2dX(m): 7:13am On Apr 22, 2017
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Africanpoint(m): 7:13am On Apr 22, 2017
nice tips op
I also go some great tips from abtech.com.ng
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by millerojong: 7:13am On Apr 22, 2017
Good
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Temmytea70(m): 7:13am On Apr 22, 2017
OK
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by esaias1(m): 7:15am On Apr 22, 2017
nice
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Titugirl(f): 7:15am On Apr 22, 2017
Thanks for the tips...I needed them.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by bayelsaowei: 7:16am On Apr 22, 2017
All of these I have done and it works... cheesy
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by MrSmith007: 7:17am On Apr 22, 2017
Try what works for you.
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Uceegal: 7:17am On Apr 22, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by prettyem(f): 7:17am On Apr 22, 2017
Timely...this is very timely. Thanks op
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by originalKsp(m): 7:19am On Apr 22, 2017
Nice tips. As Mortimer J. Adler argued, people will invest in reading when they can read properly.

School usually focuses on WHAT to read and not HOW to read, what most of us students do is STUFFING our minds rather than ENLIGHTENING them. This is why reading is boring to most people.

To make matter worst, school exams and most textbooks are designed for crammers, as Michael W. Wiederman stated:

"the problem with cramming, however, is that the material learned for the exam is quickly forgotten, leaving the student with an exam score but not an education. "

So, I propose, in combination with this tips, people should be taught how to read great books

Mortimer J. Addler

10 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by NONNYG: 7:19am On Apr 22, 2017
Friedyokes:
madt mangrin mehn dat sleep na something else

3 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by ifeoluwa237(m): 7:19am On Apr 22, 2017
if i reduce internet, how will i see this post

5 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by CashZamani(m): 7:21am On Apr 22, 2017
Friedyokes:

U need deliverance.
Ain't joking I mean it grin
Friedyokes:

U need deliverance.
Ain't joking I mean it

3 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Icon4s(m): 7:21am On Apr 22, 2017
I can see the points listed are mainly for reading for leisure.

For academics it's a lot more complicated. Here your are under pressure to read.

Here are some few tips to help students either in higher institutions or secondary schools to read.

1. You must develop a reading time table. If you'll have to read for eg 3hrs a day (minimum IMO) you'll have to spend 1hr per subject or course.

2. This second point is related to the first: Do not spend too much time reading one subject as after a point your assimilation starts reducing. Also do not spend a long stretch of time reading. Reason same as above. Recommended after 2 or 3 hours you do something else like: Cook, Watch TV, sleep, take a walk, attend fellowship, or even go visit a friend.

3. Do not talk too much during the day: As this saps out all your energy and when u want to read u feel like sleeping. Also after all you said during the day your mind keeps going back to it as you start reading. You lose concentration.

4. Do not eat too much: Too much food makes one lazy and dizzy. Good recipe for sleep.

5. Do not take your bath before reading at night. This is another good recipe for sleep. If you are feeling hot use ur fan/AC, open up ur windows for good ventilation or read in a well ventilated place. After reading u can then have ur bath and you will sleep fulfilled.

6. Concentrate in class: If you can understand 40 to 60 percent of the subject topics in class reading it from your note or textbook becomes more interesting as you'll read faster and assimilate better.

7. Reading conditions: Some like reading with music on. Fine. And some do not. I personally love playing classical songs like Handel, Mozart, Yanni and Enya while solving calculations. But the volume must be kept very low.
Some position their reading tables to face the wall (like I did) for full concentration. Also I cannot read in a scattered room, I will need to arrange it first. My reading table must also be tidied. Any book I will not need at that time I put away.

8.Know what time you assimilate best and maximise it. My best reading time was 4-6 or 7am depending on my lectures time table and that is when I chose to read those very complex/difficult to understand topics. Some read only at midnight. Find which time is best for you.

9. Sleep. You need adequate sleep. You cannot cheat nature. I typically sleep at 10pm. No mid-night reading. Believe it or not. Instead I do early morning reading. During exams I may only stretch it to 12mid night and get up again at 4 or 5am.

I maintained most of these principles right from my secondary school to university under graduate days and they really worked for me.
And pls don't ask me my results cos I don't wanna show off here. Haha haha.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by KingLennon(m): 7:21am On Apr 22, 2017
Nice tips OP. I think sleeping during the day enhances better reading during the night. I love reading at night when every place is quiet and all the forces have gone for their meeting grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by kingphilip(m): 7:21am On Apr 22, 2017
Who book help self
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Oluchi01(f): 7:22am On Apr 22, 2017
Nice one
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by KingLennon(m): 7:23am On Apr 22, 2017
Friedyokes:
Go outside take fresh air then come inside and take a cold bath to relieve the sleep. You can go and read
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by EYIBLESSN(m): 7:23am On Apr 22, 2017
Friedyokes:

You only determine to sleep.

In other news it is the handiwork of the elderly
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by kingphilip(m): 7:23am On Apr 22, 2017
chijioke980:
Great men today take the risk and become what they are today
Why not you take the risk and become someone Great today
Call the number below
oga play the next one with bet9ja and paste the winning I go patronize you

2 Likes

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 22, 2017
Nice info...

check this out...

do you have skills, do you own a company, do you own a business, but you don't know how to promote it? you don't know who your targeted audience are? is your business crashing down?
Final Say Business Solutions is here for you...
Let us promote your business for you, let us connect you to clients all over the globe, let us revive that dying business/company for you...
Contact Final say Business Solution today and you'll be glad you did.
Call Michael for more info... 07031041675
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by sakalisis(m): 7:24am On Apr 22, 2017
Cool
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Build A Good Reading Habit-share by AleeDee(m): 7:36am On Apr 22, 2017
Design a reading timetable. It helped me a lot while I was in skl.

1 Like

(0) (1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Universities To STUDY Computer Science/engineering In Nigeria / Wow! Unilag Releases 2016/17 Screening Results / Yabatech Post Utme/ume Screening Exercise And Admisssion Details For 2010/2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2018 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 367
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.