Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style (25681 Views)

Coronavirus: Oba Abdul-Ganiy Adekunle Oloogunebi Appeases Deities To Ward It Off / "I Haven’t Adopted The Title Of An Emir" - Oluwo Of Iwo Oba Abdul-Rasheed Akanbi / Abdul-Rasheed Adewale Akanbi 50th Birthday Celebration: Dignitaries Storm Event (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by gloryman91: 1:30pm On Apr 22, 2017
How far with Ta'awunu issue on leadership crisis?
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by Hemanwel(m): 1:44pm On Apr 22, 2017
tibaonnet:

whatever you like do, but we are one here either Muslim or Christian, we are from the same source. we won't let fools like you use religion to divide and cause disunity among us. You are the one who need to be sensitized.
Like I said before, you guys pretend like all is well. You are all saying all these just so that other tribes in the country will see you as tolerant people; but the Muslims are having the upper hand in your region.
Go to Lagos State Civil Service, you'll hardly see Christians - maybe 2 in every 7.
As for the FCSC batch A list, how come more Muslims were shortlisted in a region where we have almost an equal percentage of Christians and Muslims?
You guys should keep pretending ooh!
cc masserati, olajizz01, emmasege, rufaiabiodun, 9jakool, omoAregbesola, olamurphy95, Lloydfather, Jaideyone, BaEnki, Lamay, Gaddafithe2nd, gloryman91, tibaonnet, Adebowale89
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by akigbemaru: 2:34pm On Apr 22, 2017
Venerable612:
I am from Iwo. But I wish they can scrap kingship. They are a waste of governments budget. People hailing him after spending fortunes passing time in Canada's Gucci stores.

The old believe that they hold the community together is now a cliché; we can do very well without kings now, or better still, reduce their entitlements.

1 Like

Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by mkoabiola: 4:47pm On Apr 22, 2017
Only few ppu love d oba jooo

But this aminat508 seems to b d PRO of oluwo

Proudly Iwo.

1 Like

Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by Venerable612(m): 4:47pm On Apr 22, 2017
verygudbadguy:

Well said.

My only objection is this; we talk about keeping our culture, our tradition, our values.. If we kill kingship, our culture will be thrown to dogs. They are ones upholding those traditions, those festivals...

We are who we are... I am Yoruba, omo dobale ka' agba.... I love my culture and I want my generation unborn to meet those values and morals I was trained with. How about you?

Of course...culture is important. If you ask me, what defines us is our culture and family. Anything other than that is external.

But every culture has to continue to look inward, self-critique itself - that way, it engages with other cultures, making itself better and in kilter with modern realities.

Apologies for my world view. I am a trained philosopher and I have witnessed first-hand the progress that many cultures around the world have experienced simply by keeping in line with present realities.

I think Culture is about values and I see no values in having kings. I am very well sure you dont postrate everymorning to greet your parents anymore. I am sure a lady is not required to be a virgin before marraige anymore. How many things do you even know abt your values?

So what values do you want to pass to your xhildren? I have no problem with having kings. I have a problem with the huge amount of money we spend on them.
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by verygudbadguy(m): 5:05pm On Apr 22, 2017
Venerable612:

Of course...culture is important. If you ask me, what defines us is our culture and family. Anything other than that is external.

I think Culture is about values and I see no values in having kings. I am very well sure you dont postrate everymorning to greet your parents anymore. I am sure a lady is not required to be a virgin before marraige anymore. How many things do you even know abt your values?

So what values do you want to pass to your xhildren? I have no problem with having kings. I have a problem with the huge amount of money we spend on them.

I get your point.

I am married with kids, i want my daughters to wake up in the morning and not say yo' sup dad but kneel down and greet me. I was trained to have conscience and it is with me today. I was trained that money is good but not everything one needs. I was trained about love, respect, kindness, empathy, knowing God. I want all that passed to my children, grandchildren and great grand children.

I understand your point about the kings flashing their riches in the face of their subjects like they are everything. I don't dig that either. But I don't think these men became rich because they were kings. They became kings because they are wealthy and influential..
SLS, for instance was CBN governor, GMD of a bank, Philantropist before he became Emir.

Same with Alaafin of Oyo, Oni of Ife, Oluwo of iwo, Oba of Benin and Oba of Lagos... They were made men before they became kings.
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by Basic123: 5:20pm On Apr 22, 2017
Hemanwel:
When I saw "Oluwo of Iwo....", I knew the person would be a Muslim.
Most (if not all) traditional rulers in Yoruba lands are Muslims.

Just like the FCSC batch A list for the South West was predominantly Muslim names.

Yoruba Chrisians have become second-class citizens in their own lands.

Yet, people in this region pretend like all is well.

NOTE: I am not trying to instigate anything here. I am only trying to sensitize some people to the injustices they are experiencing.
...After your plan to ally yoruba Christians to your biafra plan with your continuous shouting of "yoruba Muslims" failed this is what you've resulted to.Go and settle the crisis bedeviling ojukwu family of pure Christians over ojukwu's will before talking about yoruba land,the land of beautiful religious diversity.

I'm a muslim my lovely and beloved aunt and cousins are Christian!!....

1 Like

Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by Venerable612(m): 5:28pm On Apr 22, 2017
verygudbadguy:

I get your point.

I am married with kids, i want my daughters to wake up in the morning and not say yo' sup dad but kneel down and greet me. I was trained to have conscience and it is with me today. I was trained that money is good but not everything one needs. I was trained about love, respect, kindness, empathy, knowing God. I want all that passed to my children, grandchildren and great grand children.

I understand your point about the kings flashing their riches in the face of their subjects like they are everything. I don't dig that either. But I don't think these men became rich because they were kings. They became kings because they are wealthy and influential..
SLS, for instance was CBN governor, GMD of a bank, Philantropist before he became Emir.

Same with Alaafin of Oyo, Oni of Ife, Oluwo of iwo, Oba of Benin and Oba of Lagos... They were made men before they became kings.

Oh interesting. Your kids are lucky to have you then, and I wish them all the best. I am glad that we share the same values.

Apologies for my extreme views... I just dont have much faith in the Nigerian system anymore. But if God tarries, things will become better.
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by Xeedorf: 8:48pm On Apr 22, 2017
Social media Oba's undecidedSocial media Oba's
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by verygudbadguy(m): 10:11pm On Apr 22, 2017
Venerable612:

Oh interesting. Your kids are lucky to have you then, and I wish them all the best. I am glad that we share the same values.

Apologies for my extreme views... I just dont have much faith in the Nigerian system anymore. But if God tarries, things will become better.

Thanks.
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by hollyfat(m): 10:12pm On Apr 22, 2017
Hemanwel:

Just like the FCSC batch A list for the South West was predominantly Muslim names.

NOTE: I am not trying to instigate anything here. I am only trying to sensitize some people to the injustices they are experiencing.

Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 10:40pm On Apr 22, 2017
Hemanwel:

So you mean we should install someone who is not from the royal home so as to satisfy the Christendom? Mind you Oni of Ife is a christian..

Now tell me how many Kind from South South and Sout East are Muslim...

You guys will be instigating violence..

1 Like

Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by amanikondo: 4:00am On Apr 23, 2017
ichommy:
I still remember my experience at Iwo, Lovely Town. I wished the 2 months didn't finished then.

Adeke area

LGA

Iwo omo olodo Oba.

One of my experiences in Iwo was when I went to the barber shop and the barber cleaned up my hair with a swing of a clipper.
I now asked him why he cut my hair like that, he said he thought I was the son of Alfa Sule as he always skins their head like that.
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by ichommy(m): 7:28am On Apr 23, 2017
amanikondo:

One of my experiences in Iwo was when I went to the barber shop and the barber cleaned up my hair with a swing of a clipper.
I now asked him why he cut my hair like that, he said he thought I was the son of Alfa Sule as he always skins their head like that.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by Akious2k2(m): 11:46am On Apr 23, 2017
ichommy:
I still remember my experience at Iwo, Lovely Town. I wished the 2 months didn't finished then.

Adeke area

LGA

Iwo omo olodo Oba.
U shld know Baptist High School, Adeeke... I attended d school as a "Boarder" in d 90s

Hemanwel:
Like I said before, you guys pretend like all is well. You are all saying all these just so that other tribes in the country will see you as tolerant people; but the Muslims are having the upper hand in your region.
Go to Lagos State Civil Service, you'll hardly see Christians - maybe 2 in every 7.
As for the FCSC batch A list, how come more Muslims were shortlisted in a region where we have almost an equal percentage of Christians and Muslims?
You guys should keep pretending ooh!
cc masserati, olajizz01, emmasege, rufaiabiodun, 9jakool, omoAregbesola, olamurphy95, Lloydfather, Jaideyone, BaEnki, Lamay, Gaddafithe2nd, gloryman91, tibaonnet, Adebowale89
What's dis 1 saying sef... How many SS or SE Muslims did u make kings or give appointments? No b say u dey harm or disown dem?
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by olamurphy95(m): 4:15pm On Apr 23, 2017
If u call it prentence, well that z the way u c it but we call it LOVE. Above all, it's well
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by lilytender: 4:51pm On Apr 23, 2017
realestniggah:
this is just rubbish to me..why must you make such grand entrance..this is just classless for a leader..

I stand by my opinion.. nobody should quote me

Use the Lagos lagoon. Suicide is still free in Lagos, I heard some states now charge a fee.
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by ichommy(m): 5:49pm On Apr 23, 2017
[quote author=Akious2k2 post=55834250]
U shld know Baptist High School, Adeeke... I attended d school as a "Boarder" in d 90s

I stayed at the Upstairs building beside Baptist high school Adeeke. wow 90's
shocked

I do enter The school to watch evening Football Matches.

The small river before D AdeekePolice station (Banana plantations) My friend and I fell from bike when we 're avoiding Crab on D high way.
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by blackprowler: 6:48am On Apr 24, 2017
verygudbadguy:

Well said.

My only objection is this; we talk about keeping our culture, our tradition, our values.. If we kill kingship, our culture will be thrown to dogs. They are ones upholding those traditions, those festivals...

We are who we are... I am Yoruba, omo dobale ka' agba.... I love my culture and I want my generation unborn to meet those values and morals I was trained with. How about you?

So sad to tell you that as a typical Nigerian, you have no clue. I'm sorry for this country. The country is how it is because the people want it so. I'm sure if Oyibo came to us when we were still wearing animal hide as clothes, we will still be defending that as our "culture"
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by Akious2k2(m): 10:04am On Apr 25, 2017
[quote author=ichommy post=55845160][/quote]
A couple of upstairs facing d school anyway, & another 1 at d gate (Entrance)... we were known 2 b 1 of d best in football, academics, etc way back... only second 2 L. A. in football... I know d area d river is located, before Bokusoro going from BHS... I think u should know Lamuye Compound & Kajola as well
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by ichommy(m): 10:49am On Apr 25, 2017
Akious2k2:

A couple of upstairs facing d school anyway, & another 1 at d gate (Entrance)... we were known 2 b 1 of d best in football, academics, etc way back... only second 2 L. A. in football... I know d area d river is located, before Bokusoro going from BHS... I think u should know Lamuye Compound & Kajola as well

I know Kojola Compound, I do watch English premier League football around dere. I only vist L. A once.

Yes, Bokusoro. You still remembered D area's vividly. wink
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by gafarolabisi2(m): 3:46pm On Sep 02, 2017
olu money of yahoo kingdom
Re: Iwo Community Receives Oba Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwo In Style by supereagle(m): 3:57pm On Sep 03, 2017
I am from a royal family in Yewa LGA, my both parents are from royal lineage, but I dislike this Oba thing, you can't be a good Christian and you still hold on to the tradition.
Someone said that Christians in Yoruba land are not Obas, it's not true, the Olu of ILARO is a member of a Pentecostal church.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos From The Port Harcourt Carnival(carniriv) 2013 Edition / Photos From The 90th Birthday Of Sòun Of Ogbomosho / You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.