Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:53 AM

Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) (22755 Views)

Binyavanga Wainaina Is Dead! HIV Positive Gay Rights Activist And Author Dies / EZE GOES TO School's Author , Onuorah Nzekwu Dies Aged 89! / Breaking: Onuorah Nzekwu, Author Of "Eze Goes To School" Dies At 89 (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by akinlex(m): 10:26am On Apr 22, 2017
The death has been announced of renowned writer and author of Eze Goes to School, Onuorah Nzekwu.

The literary doyen passed away at the age of 89, Friday night. The real cause of his death is still unknown at the moment.

Pa Nzekwu became popular for his book entitled Eze Goes to School, written in 1963.

While commiserating with his family over the incident, Abdulahi said the late writer would forever be remembered for his literary works, which preached about the importance of education.

“Yes, it is true but I can’t confirm what actually the real cause of his death was; but it is a big loss to the Nigerian literary community.

“We would miss him dearly and we pray God to grant the literary icon eternal rest in his bosom,” he told our reporter.

When asked on what ANA is doing to help the aged and struggling writers, Abdulahi said the association needed to take census of those writers alive so as to make the necessary moves.

“Well, ANA is doing its best but we still need to take census of those icons alive. We can do more of cooperative programmes for them. We might not have the money but we still need to know them.

“For instance, we have a large portion of land in Mpape, Abuja for the association, the government can come in and build houses for those literary icons,” he added.

Born February 19, 1928 in Kafanchan, Kaduna State, Nzekwu was a writer who explored the internal conflicts inherent in the relationship of the educated Igbo to traditional Igbo culture.

Nzekwu’s first novel, Wand of Noble Wood (1961), portrays in moving terms the futility of a Western pragmatic approach to the problems created by an African’s traditional religious beliefs.

In 1963 he published a children’s book, Eze Goes to School (written with Michael Crowder), and his third novel, Highlife for Lizards, appeared in 1965.

He had worked as a teacher, civil servant and journalist, also wrote Wand of Noble Wood, Blade Among the Boys and other fictional and non-fictional works.

http://looknaija..com/2017/04/eze-goes-to-school-author-onuorah.html

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by akinlex(m): 10:29am On Apr 22, 2017
He was also the pioneer general manager of News Agency of Nigeria.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by thesicilian: 10:29am On Apr 22, 2017
RIP. His masterpiece EZE GOES TO SCHOOL was one of the first few story books I read in primary school, along with others like CHIKE AND THE RIVER, SUGAR GIRL, NO SUPPER FOR EZE, A LUCKY CHANCE, etc. I didn't even know he was still alive since.

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by GloriaNinja(f): 10:40am On Apr 22, 2017
I STILL REMEMBER THAT BOOK OF HIS "EZE GOES TO SCHOOL" BACK DAYS IN PRIMARY SCHOOL, MAY HE RIP.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Dhayor001(m): 10:42am On Apr 22, 2017
God rest his soul.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Kobicove(m): 10:43am On Apr 22, 2017
I didn't even know the author of that book was still alive up to now undecided

10 Likes

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Young03(m): 11:03am On Apr 22, 2017
Old age killed him n ur saying u dont know d cause of his death

19 Likes

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by datimogal(f): 11:13am On Apr 22, 2017
R.I.p sir....just remember the good old days

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by MrEgbegbe(m): 11:22am On Apr 22, 2017

RIP my mentor

Buhari

You will never go unpunished

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by babyfaceafrica: 11:22am On Apr 22, 2017
Death just full this weekend.God help us

2 Likes

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Flexherbal(m): 11:22am On Apr 22, 2017
May his soul rest in peace!

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by pretee246(m): 11:22am On Apr 22, 2017
Rip coolRip
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by prinsam30: 11:22am On Apr 22, 2017
newer generation won't know this

RIP

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by MrEgbegbe(m): 11:22am On Apr 22, 2017
Rip
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by ifyalways(f): 11:23am On Apr 22, 2017
An icon gone. May God comfort his loved ones.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Pavore9: 11:23am On Apr 22, 2017
He wrote a classic. May his soul rest in peace.

4 Likes

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by sanbells(f): 11:23am On Apr 22, 2017
I'll Always remember those good old days of "Eze goes to school".
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by princefelix4: 11:23am On Apr 22, 2017
rip.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by ihatebuhari(f): 11:24am On Apr 22, 2017
angry
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by momodub: 11:24am On Apr 22, 2017
Oh noo classic writer
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 22, 2017
So Eze has died now...this government sef

How did Eze finish his school?
Was Eze ever married?
Did he marry from the East?
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Researchz: 11:24am On Apr 22, 2017
Na wa ooh GOOD people just de die OOH.

First it was

Michael Otedola College Of Primary Education Provost, Prof. Akeusola Is Dead

Veteran Yoruba Actor, Olumide Bakare Is Dead

And now
‘Eze Goes To School’ Author, Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead

MAY THEIR SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE

3 Likes

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by kachi08(m): 11:25am On Apr 22, 2017
Eze go to school....... Rip sir
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by adorablepepple(f): 11:25am On Apr 22, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

RIP my mentor

Buhari

You will never go unpunished
undecided

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by obembet(f): 11:25am On Apr 22, 2017
H
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Pavore9: 11:25am On Apr 22, 2017
thesicilian:
RIP. His masterpiece EZE GOES TO SCHOOL was one of the first few story books I read in primary school, along with others like CHIKE AND THE RIVER, SUGAR GIRL, NO SUPPER FOR EZE, A LUCKY CHANCE, etc. I didn't even know he was still alive since.

With these books you listed, you no be "today's​ meat"! grin We read Chike and the river in Primary 4.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by ObasanjoQuotes: 11:25am On Apr 22, 2017
RIP Sir. My kids Enjoyed your works

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by topgear(m): 11:25am On Apr 22, 2017
Ok
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by destiny322(m): 11:26am On Apr 22, 2017
Nawao... Na everytime pesin dy die for nairaland?
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 22, 2017
Sir, you contributed to my curiosity and knowledge.

Rest in peace.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie / Finally; Wole Soyinka Confirms He Destroyed His Green Card. / Trapped By Passion (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.