Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,514 members, 7,801,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) (22769 Views)

Binyavanga Wainaina Is Dead! HIV Positive Gay Rights Activist And Author Dies / EZE GOES TO School's Author , Onuorah Nzekwu Dies Aged 89! / Breaking: Onuorah Nzekwu, Author Of "Eze Goes To School" Dies At 89 (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by chidooh1: 2:05pm On Apr 22, 2017
Epic i would say, didn't know he was around till now, rest in peace Pa
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Onwardvic(m): 2:07pm On Apr 22, 2017
all these people typing "good old days"i hope they won't come after me if I call them old men and women? kidding though
the man will forever be remembered,wot of me nd u? have we done enough or our best?
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Kenon9: 2:23pm On Apr 22, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

RIP my mentor

Buhari

You will never go unpunished

Ol boy you dey vex o....hope no problem sha?
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by farem: 3:01pm On Apr 22, 2017
akinlex:
The death has been announced of renowned writer and author of Eze Goes to School, Onuorah Nzekwu.

The literary doyen passed away at the age of 89, Friday night. The real cause of his death is still unknown at the moment.

Pa Nzekwu became popular for his book entitled Eze Goes to School, written in 1963.

While commiserating with his family over the incident, Abdulahi said the late writer would forever be remembered for his literary works, which preached about the importance of education.

“Yes, it is true but I can’t confirm what actually the real cause of his death was; but it is a big loss to the Nigerian literary community.

“We would miss him dearly and we pray God to grant the literary icon eternal rest in his bosom,” he told our reporter.

When asked on what ANA is doing to help the aged and struggling writers, Abdulahi said the association needed to take census of those writers alive so as to make the necessary moves.

“Well, ANA is doing its best but we still need to take census of those icons alive. We can do more of cooperative programmes for them. We might not have the money but we still need to know them.

“For instance, we have a large portion of land in Mpape, Abuja for the association, the government can come in and build houses for those literary icons,” he added.

Born February 19, 1928 in Kafanchan, Kaduna State, Nzekwu was a writer who explored the internal conflicts inherent in the relationship of the educated Igbo to traditional Igbo culture.

Nzekwu’s first novel, Wand of Noble Wood (1961), portrays in moving terms the futility of a Western pragmatic approach to the problems created by an African’s traditional religious beliefs.

In 1963 he published a children’s book, Eze Goes to School (written with Michael Crowder), and his third novel, Highlife for Lizards, appeared in 1965.

He had worked as a teacher, civil servant and journalist, also wrote Wand of Noble Wood, Blade Among the Boys and other fictional and non-fictional works.

http://looknaija..com/2017/04/eze-goes-to-school-author-onuorah.html

He was a great man. He impacted my reading skill
. I read the book with Akin goes to school.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Nobody: 3:20pm On Apr 22, 2017
RIP, my PaPa
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by alorax2(f): 3:33pm On Apr 22, 2017
rossyc:

The bottled leopard

No dear not d bottled leopard, I have that. Tgis is from another African authour

1 Like

Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Desdola(m): 3:42pm On Apr 22, 2017
May he rest in peace
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by AustineCJ: 3:54pm On Apr 22, 2017
The man really tried, one of the best books back then.... Eze goes to school, Chike and the river, Without a silver spoon, A lucky chance, The sugar girl, Joys of mother hood, The gods are not to blame, Romeo and Juliet, Sons and daughters, Old man and the medals, The lion and the jewel, our husband have gone mad again, Things fall apart etc.... jeez Naija which way.... our elders really tried to set the right path for us but these present leaders are just worst... RIP great man
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by tysontim(m): 4:29pm On Apr 22, 2017
chrisxxx:
I did not read 'Eze Goes To School' because of school work but for the attitude of our seniors then.
Whenever you disobeyed them and they are punishing you, you would hear 'Do you know when I read my Eze Goes To School?'
It was so common then to hear seniors asked that question. I decided to buy the book and read it so I could also ask such question authoritatively when it gets to my turn.
lol
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by freshinko: 5:58pm On Apr 22, 2017
Legends, people of great value. Nzekwu and his likes deserve National commemoration, nomatter how little. But yam eaters will not see them, because they are busy stealing and eating yam.
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by phynofino: 9:19pm On Apr 22, 2017
RIP sir Every time I remember the bitter leaf soup and fufu eze had before going off to school I immediately get hungry
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by Nobody: 11:24pm On Apr 22, 2017
Eternal rest able colleague
prof. miganigal
Re: Onuorah Nzekwu Is Dead! (‘Eze Goes To School’ Author) by ogbonti: 2:27am On Apr 23, 2017
He is a national hero. ... in the likes of Prof Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Elechi Amadi, Poet Mamman Vatsa, Ken Saro-Wiwa and all who contributed to literary knowledge growth in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Women Should Be Treated As Those With “Joystick” – Chimamanda Adichie / Finally; Wole Soyinka Confirms He Destroyed His Green Card. / Trapped By Passion (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.