Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,830 members, 7,806,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? (18679 Views)

Photo: Which Would Be Your Pick For Use On Nigerian Roads? / The Most Common Car On Nigerian Roads? / The Best Tyre For Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by GeorgeD1(m): 3:08pm On Jan 04, 2010
hello guys, i was discussing with a friend today about the real usefulness of inbuilt car navigation systems in nigeria. i know they are in great use in the usa, europe, etc where they have clearly defined maps but how useful are they in nigeria? if i buy a car with navigation, will i ever be able to use the navigation feature bearing in mind the extra cost (due to the navigation system)? are they just for fancy or is it worth the extra money paid compared to other cars of its type without navigation?

nigerian car owners with navigation system in their cars, please speak up!
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:02pm On Jan 04, 2010
does this mean nobody is using any car with satellite navigation here in nairaland?  even with all the noise? i'm surprised ooooo!  shocked
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by sultaan(m): 10:04pm On Jan 04, 2010
They don't have roads in naija, just glorified trails grin

The Nav screen is just for show.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by violent(m): 12:24am On Jan 05, 2010
I doubt if it's worth the extra squeeze especially if u are using it in naija, i think you can only use it in few places in Abj
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 05, 2010
As useful as a chocolate teapot.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by viperman: 9:23am On Jan 05, 2010
Only of recent did it become useful and only in places like Abuja and Lagos where their maps have been completed.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by GeorgeD1(m): 10:27am On Jan 05, 2010
i see, so all these cars with satellite navigation are not worth the extra cost as they don't have any use in naija.

very interesting!
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by maballack(m): 12:02pm On Jan 05, 2010
Was asking if comes with the navigation comes ability to play VCD/DVD as i have an in car entertainment system i fixed on my 99 camry that has navigation even if it doesnt work yet in nija bt plays dvd on the screen, planning to change to a 2007 camry bt i stil dont know if this navigation on it has the ability to also show
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:32pm On Jan 05, 2010
in that case, no sense in buying a car with navigation in nigeria. just a waste of extra money, period!
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by Fhemmmy: 7:36pm On Jan 05, 2010
Most Navigation Systems comes with more features than to just show the street and navigate your way around the city.
It come with Bluetooth and allows you to make hand free phone calls.
Most come with AM and FM Tuner that allows u to listen to some nice tunes.
Most come with adaptability to play nice movies DVD
I will admit that the effizzy itself is not bad at all.
BTW . . . .Nigeria will not be in the dark forever, so when we finally have our map done, u must have been ready for it.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by init4dmoni(m): 11:01pm On Jan 05, 2010
some people need to update their brains sad
it's very useful
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by femionasan(m): 11:10pm On Jan 05, 2010
It is quite useful. I drove from Maryland to Otta with a satnav and it took me right to where i was going although not all the streets are in there.I can say it is 75% accurate.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by Fhemmmy: 11:11pm On Jan 05, 2010
femionasan:

It is quite useful. I drove from Maryland to Otta with a satnav and it took me right to where i was going although not all the streets are in there.I can say it is 75% accurate.

You mean Nigerian streets are on it already?
What model do u have and what other features come with it?
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by chika98: 11:12pm On Jan 05, 2010
femionasan:

It is quite useful.[b] I drove from Maryland to Otta [/b]with a satnav and it took me right to where i was going although not all the streets are in there.I can say it is 75% accurate.

You mean Nigerian road? I thought people convert them to dvd screens
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 05, 2010
How Useful Is Car Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads?

I hear kidnappers find it quite useful in tracking down their prey

poor man no dey use navigation system
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by suxes2005(m): 11:30pm On Jan 05, 2010
9ja road? Wen u get to a particular j-tion dnavigator will tell u to use d oda road cos d road is bad. again it says naming ceremony going on here, i dont fink we can use it here except in some developed places in 9ja

SHALOM
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by femionasan(m): 11:31pm On Jan 05, 2010
Its not the type built in to cars i have. The one i have is the Garmin cant remember the model right now, but it had quite a lot of major streets all the way from Maryland to Otta. In fact when i was on my way to otta i saw lot of traffic around the bridge newly being constructed and the satnav actually took me through an alternative route although the road was bad when i was leaving. I avoided a whole lot of traffic. A friend of mine sold it to me. She is into this car theft tracking device business and so she also sells the device. Funny enough we actually went to locate a stolen vehicle with this device after the police had searched and searched all over for the car, the satnav took us to the exact spot where the car was after entering the co-ordinates.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by inspiredm(m): 11:41pm On Jan 05, 2010
George_D:

in that case, no sense in buying a car with navigation in nigeria. just a waste of extra money, period!

In Built Car Navigation Systems screens are multifunctional, you can check the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-247183.0.html#msg3606487
cool cool
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by inspiredm(m): 11:49pm On Jan 05, 2010
chika98:

You mean Nigerian road? I thought people convert them to dvd screens

The DVD Roms are not Available for the Nigerian Market Yet.

Separate Navigation Devices are Sold  By GARMIN Nigeria, , The Device costs between 75,000 - 95,000 Naira.

6 Biggest Cities  Lagos, FCT Abuja, Port Harcourt, Ibadan, Warri, and Ota have already been mapped and are completely useable on the devices.

The Break Point would be when they can be mapped on DVD Roms to be used for Cars with in built Navigation systems.

Until then, You can stick the Device on your Windshield or dashboard. It serves the same purpose.
  cool cool
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by labiyemmy(m): 12:03am On Jan 06, 2010
@Femionasan - I guess you are talking about Eno - she is our partner and I remember her telling me about the lost car.

A lot of half truths, lies, illetracy and outright mis information.

All cars that come from Europe or America with fixed in car navigation systems do not come with Nigerian maps - this does not mean there are no Nigerian maps available in the market, but because these car manufacturers feel there had been no market in Nigeria hence they concentrate on making their cars with countries where they beleive they will sell - the car navigation system is an added selling unit for them. Even in South Africa, the car manufacturers do not still load their cars to that region with their navigable maps in the fixed in car navigation systems- even though the maps exist. This is a verifiable fact if you travel to SA - what you see are navigation units which are removable and fixed to the windshield like the TOM TOM, GARMIN, etc. This is the type my company Third Dimension Technologies is making and selling in Nigeria - refer to http://www.ceaser-web.com for details - as at now, we have maps of over 230 cities in Nigeria down to street level, and not only major cities - we have maps to remote places like Agenebode, Azare etc. As at last sales count, we have sold over 6000 pieces within the last one year of commencement of sale.

Now, to the question of if it is worth buying cars with these systems, I will say, for now, the car manufacturers dont think it is economivcally profitable for them to load the Nigerian maps from their factory, we have tried severally to make the DVD, people ask us daily if we can make the DVD for the fixed in car systems, yes, we can make the DVDs available but the car system as to be by KENWOOD- this is the type our systems are compatible with for now - thus, it is sad to say, until the manufacturers sees the profitability in the Nigeria market, they will not see the need to pop the Naiaja maps right from production.

However, there is good news, we have sold our maps to international companies that have these car manufacturers as their clients- hence, with time, I am sure you will see cars like BMW, MErcedes, Toyota etc popping these maps into their systems for the African region - we have tried severally to convince them of the need to make the DVDs and use us as their point of sale, but we have not had a breakthru yet - this however means we will continue to witness the growth in the sale of our removable navigation systems for cars, motorbikes, pedestrians etc.

Call 08055794269 or email - info@3dtechnologies.org for more details.

http://www.ceaser-web.com

Our systems works with Symbian mobile phones as well as Windows Mobile phones - check your car system - if it is KENWOOD- bring it to us, we will load the full Naija maps for the in car system.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by inspiredm(m): 12:09am On Jan 06, 2010
@labiyemmy:

we have tried severally to convince them of the need to make the DVDs and use us as the point of sale, but we have not had a breakthru yet -

Once theyre made on DVD roms, Nigerian Cars with In built navigation systems would be able to use them
  cool cool
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by Singular: 1:04am On Jan 06, 2010
The are very useful and they work.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by gongoaso1: 1:24am On Jan 06, 2010
^^^only in abuja and lagos though sad
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by suxes2005(m): 1:58am On Jan 06, 2010
gongo aso:

^^^only in abuja and lagos though sad

not in all places in lag or abj

SHALOM
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by chika98: 2:05am On Jan 06, 2010
inspired_m:

The DVD Roms are not Available for the Nigerian Market Yet.

Separate Navigation Devices are Sold  By GARMIN Nigeria, , The Device costs between 75,000 - 95,000 Naira.

6 Biggest Cities  Lagos, FCT Abuja, Port Harcourt, Ibadan, Warri, and Ota have already been mapped and are completely useable on the devices.

The Break Point would be when they can be mapped on DVD Roms to be used for Cars with in built Navigation systems.

Until then, You can stick the Device on your Windshield or dashboard. It serves the same purpose.
  cool cool

Oh is it? That's a tad impressive. Well, thanks for letting me know about this as  I had no idea.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by mamagee3(f): 2:32am On Jan 06, 2010
It turns your expensive car into Water park tricycle. grin grin
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by lastpage: 2:45am On Jan 06, 2010
Well, for me, l use a "Garmin Mobile XT" navigation system on my phones. I particularly embraced the Nokai N97 last August because of its wide screen which is bigger than the N96 l had prior but that is just by the way.

The main issue is that l find it safer to stick the phone on my dashboard and use as a Navigator and it does "every other thing" those built-in Navigators can do - call reception, play movies, wireless, voice direction and the pointer is like a real car, not some lifeless arrow, e.t.c.- It shows the direction to street level, that l am sure of.
Its also very cheap and when l come to Europe l still use it as l have Niaja and European maps loaded, infact, l can buy and load any map l want onto it.

Most of the Maps required are freely available on the internet and it beats me why anyone would charge as much as 75grand for such a thing! angry

If l come around, l dont mind giving it out to those who want it though those who profit from it will not be happy at that.
I think if the price placed on certain things are too prohibitive, it drives people who really need it but cant afford it, to "copy it"

Ten thousand naira would have been a sensible price on such so that profit would be made from "volume sales" as against trying to make the profit from high cost price and selling just a few units.
Just my ten cents.

1 Like

Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by labiyemmy(m): 3:17am On Jan 06, 2010
@lastpage

Free on the internet? you mean the hacked maps? Hackers are thieves, dont you know? and the ones you were able to hack and load on your phone are the old maps from the South Africans with less than ten Nigerian cities on it - compare it to ours which has 230 city maps? You cant beat that. And as we speak, we are in negotiations with over five international companies willing us to license our maps to them for their systems - why will you claim to have a country wide navigation system that only has less than ten cities nationwide on it?

Who says its not useful? The other day, I flew to Katsina and didnt know where exactly the state secretariat was, and I had to go there, without having to rely on the taxi driver 100 percent - i put in my destination, finds it and just click go - and it took me there staright away - same thing in Jos, same thin in Makurdi - drove with it from Abuja to Makurdi and it was just super -

We sell the unit now for 50k with the maps and the device all together - if however you have the Garmin device- it will only cost you 20k to load the maps into it.

We also have maps for Ghana in case you have to travel to Ghana.
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by Wallie(m): 4:13am On Jan 06, 2010
@Labiyemmy

I have a few questions for you regarding the maps you have.

1. Does it have street level information - house addresses?
2. Can you burn the map on a DVD in the same format as a Navteq DVD?
3. Do you have the ability to update the maps with new roads. In other words, can you physically collect the data using GIS equipments?
4. Are you taking steps to protect your maps (copyrights)?
5. Lastly, do you know someone by the name Ir***i?

I understand if you can't answer some of the questions in a public forum.

Thanks!
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by Olong(m): 6:06am On Jan 06, 2010
car navi-what?in nigeria?oh c'mon
Re: How Useful AreCar Navigation Systems On Nigerian Roads? by Wilife: 7:10am On Jan 06, 2010
Quick qq Labiyemmy.

So, if I have the Garmin GPS, you can load all the maps for me for 20k right.

Is that what you are saying or is there any hidden charge?

Besides, what happens when there are updates to the maps?

Thanks.

Good thread I must say though,

Finally, how far did you go with the NTDC issue?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Free Driving Lessons For 20 People / 5 Vehicle Parts That Are Easily Damaged By Potholes / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.