Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,366 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression (1354 Views)

Man Under The Influence Of Drugs Lets Jesus Take The Wheel,Flips Truck 5 Times / I'm Not A Racist, It Was A Joke. British Airways Stewardess Responds(Photos) / Confused Driver Takes Passengers On A Road Trip Around Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by nothingspoil70: 9:40am On Apr 23, 2017
I came to Nigeria recently with a colleague at work and on many occasions I found myself having to interpret English language to an English man.
I Will list below five of those below for you dear Nairalanders.

I AM COMING NOW
We went to visit an old friend of mine and after all the greetings and exchange of pleasantries his phone rang after answering he just said I am coming now and disappeared through the door. My white friend was looking at me in confusion. I had to explain to him that my friend meant he would be back in a minute.

DADDY/ UNCLE
I had to explain to my friend why almost everybody in Lagos including those hawkers trying to sell things to us in the traffic are calling me Daddy or Uncle when actually we have never met before.

STRONG
On getting to my sister's place, the husband told us she was strong and in bed so she couldn't come out to welcome us.After enquiring from the man if she had gone to see the doctor and taken the right medication, my companion couldn't figure out what we were talking about anymore .It took me a few minutes to explain to him what it means for someone to be strong in Nigeria

LET ME COME AND BE GOING
Three out of the visitors we had during our visit to Nigeria freely used this expression when they were about to leave

HOW ARE MY CHILDREN
An aunty of mine came to visit us and after using this expression, my Oyibo friend asked if I was having some of her children with me in the UK? I had to explain to him again.
Feel free to add yours to these .

3 Likes

Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by generalbush(m): 9:51am On Apr 23, 2017
Wetin concern oyinbo with our English??

If I reach UK, I speak like them... But since I am in Nigeria, ama keep using our own English!!

Shikena!!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by thesicilian: 10:00am On Apr 23, 2017
I speak Nigerian English anywhere I go

Question: Where are you going?
Me: I am coming.
Q: Is it true, someone told me you Nigerians always answer questions with questions?
Me: Who told you?
Question: When should I expect your call?
Me: I'll flash you.
Me: Driver stop let me com down
Driver: Oh, you'll like to alight here?
Me: I said stop let me come down!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by tdayof(m): 12:27pm On Apr 23, 2017
thesicilian:
I speak Nigerian English anywhere I go

Question: Where are you going?
Me: I am coming.
Q: Is it true, someone told me you Nigerians always answer questions with questions?
Me: Who told you?

Question: When should I expect your call?
Me: I'll flash you.
Me: Driver stop let me com down
Driver: Oh, you'll like to alight here?
Me: I said stop let me come down!
grin grin
Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by nefertitiram: 12:35pm On Apr 23, 2017
What about duplicating everything we say?

Now now

Fast fast

Quick quick

Small small

Chop chop

Ahn ahn

Sofri sofri

Copy copy

4 Likes

Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by redcurry(f): 3:22pm On Apr 24, 2017
Nigerians sha.very special and different set of pple.but I sha still want to leave ds country for good.
Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by dasparrow: 2:40pm On Apr 25, 2017
redcurry:
Nigerians sha.very special and different set of pple.but I sha still want to leave ds country for good.

@Bolded

God will make it happen in due time if it is His will.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by salford: 7:44pm On Apr 25, 2017
my jamaican friend too does not understand when nigerians say they arr strong when they are actually unwell.
Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by henrimoto(m): 5:48am On Apr 26, 2017
Lol.... Laughter don wound me here. What a comical Write-ups!

English dey pass English. That's Nigerian English version for you.

Abeg, lalasticlala, abi na who dey in charge of front page...this article is good to relieve the day's Stress and tension.

#justcantstoplaughing
Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by Nobody: 6:07am On Apr 26, 2017
I am not understanding this cheesy
Re: 5 Times My British Companion To Nigeria Got Confused By Some Nigerian Expression by redcurry(f): 12:07pm On Apr 26, 2017
dasparrow:

@Bolded
God will make it happen in due time if it is His will.
amen.thanks

(1) (Reply)

One Opay Rider And Passenger Died After Fatal Accident. VIDEO / My Semi-adventure: Almost Studied In Scotland, Share Yours Too. / Still On Aero's N7,000 Domestic Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.