Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River (23237 Views)

Oforkaja Chiamaka Rachel‎, FUTO Undergraduate Slays In Birthday Photos / Ariyibi Ayomide: UNILAG Student Commits Suicide By Drinking Sniper (Photo) / Photo Of FUTO "Man O' War" Leader Who Attempted Suicide By Jumping Into River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by dre11(m): 2:24pm On Apr 23, 2017
CHIDIEBUBE OKEOMA

Tragedy was on Saturday averted at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State, when an undergraduate of the institution, identified only as Sydney Prince, jumped into a river in a bid to end his life.

Our correspondent gathered that Prince, studying Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, is the leader of the “ Man O ’ War, ”a campus security outfit in the university.

An eyewitness identified as Stellamaris, an undergraduate of FUTO, told our correspondent that Prince jumped into the Otammiri river, which is within the school environment after making several phone calls.

She said , “ While I and my friends were doing our morning exercise at the Otammiri river bank, he was at the other side of the river crying as he was making phone calls. We ignored him and kept jogging. But after about 20 minutes, he jumped into the river. That was when he started shouting and screaming for help from passers - by.

“ He was struggling and gasping for breath. My friends ran to the street to solicit assistance from people and immediately I saw his head, I started encouraging him to hold on to a tree in the river. He finally lost consciousness and was already drowning when professional swimmers arrived and rescued him.”

A source close to the victim, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Prince attempted suicide because he was frustrated by what he believed was unjust treatment by the school management.

“The school management has refused to allow him graduate. He has a lot of spill- over courses. And as the leader of the Man O’ war, all the allowances accrued to him in the last 12 months have been withheld. After fighting cultists in the campus, it is very annoying that the school management has been frustrating him.”

When contacted the university’ s public relations officer, Chike Ezenwa, confirmed that Prince was a student of the institution.

Ezenwa said he had yet to be briefed on the incident.

He , however, promised to get back to our correspondent. He had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, the new commissioner of police in Imo State, Chris Ezike, has said the state police command lacks enough officers to tackle crime in the state.

The CP spoke on Friday when he visited the state chairman of the Council of Traditional Rulers, Eze Samuel Ohiri, in Owerri, the state capital.

He said “ When I arrived Imo on April 3, I discovered that the 5, 500 policemen we have are not enough . I would be partnering with the vigilante group , the Imo Security Watch and all other security outfits in the state in our collective resolve to reduce crimes in the state.

“ The whole essence of governance is the maintenance of law and order. When we have security, there would be abundant food, the private sector would strive, there would be good life and the economy and social life of the people would be assured."

http://punchng.com/futo-undergraduate-attempts-suicide/

1 Share

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by kingphilip(m): 2:33pm On Apr 23, 2017
But after about 20 minutes, he jumped into the river. That was when he started shouting and screaming for help from passers - by.

Him never ready commit suicides.. How will you want to commit suicide and go with rope and knife..

I think in his case he put in all efforts in the man-o-war instead of his studies.. He should just put in all efforts in his studies and graduate.. Man-o-war will always be there but your graduation needs to be completed within a time frame..

May God help us not to get to the level of attempting suicide

40 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by amuijiji: 3:05pm On Apr 23, 2017
The guy nah learner...
Death neva dey hungry am...

I am sure when he jumped he remembered he had people owing him thus screaming for help inorder to recover his money he would use as BTA to after life....

8 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by lawrenzi(m): 4:22pm On Apr 23, 2017
Why do you need to end your life? Why? this is for you

6 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by tolexy123: 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2017
How About three spoonful of sniper?

yeye people

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by DickDastardly(m): 4:24pm On Apr 23, 2017
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by ishowdotgmail(m): 4:24pm On Apr 23, 2017
Aye le ooo

1 Like

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Nicepoker(m): 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2017
he shouted for help . after jumping in. what a stunt

6 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by nairalandfreak(m): 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2017
Lol.... The guy repented from dying

6 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by madgoat(m): 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
grin grin grin
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by foreverfavoured(f): 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
Suicide should never be an option. There is always hope for the living and not the dead..

5 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Diplomaticbeing(m): 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
Met Mat doing Futo guys strong thing since its inception there.

9 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
He has commited...
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
How much dem de pay 4 all dis attempted suicide cos na dah one dey reign ooo grin

2 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by teamv: 4:27pm On Apr 23, 2017
there are 101 ways to die
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by lalaray: 4:28pm On Apr 23, 2017
For those of u who mock people who r going through depression, may God bless u richly, one day it will b ur turn n then and only will u understand

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by bola4dprec(m): 4:28pm On Apr 23, 2017
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by paparazzi1987(m): 4:28pm On Apr 23, 2017
May God guide and ease his pain.

7 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by stanliwise(m): 4:28pm On Apr 23, 2017
Why did he start screaming for help when he jumped into the river?

He got to know that death was not easy.

3 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Timiblanko(m): 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2017
lol After he jumpped in he the water he now shout and called for help, kikikikikikiki grin Dont attempt succide next time... Lesson for all

3 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by SalamRushdie: 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2017
The spate of suicides and suicide attempt of recent in Nigeria is actually alarming.
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Chuksteric(m): 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2017
That's how all the bike men will lick all the FUTO mango finish... This break ehhh grin grin

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by shankara7: 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2017
FUTO and their frustration sef. I have heard alot about the school.

1 Like

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2017
Your head day there
kingphilip:
But after about 20 minutes, he jumped into the river. That was when he started shouting and screaming for help from passers - by.

Him never ready commit suicides.. How will you want to commit suicide and go with rope and knife..

I think in his case he put in all efforts in the man-o-war instead of his studies.. He should just put in all efforts in his studies and graduate.. Man-o-war will always be there but your graduation needs to be completed within a time frame..
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by AuroraB(f): 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2017
He's lucky. Otammiri wey dey take them do toothpick reject am sad
Make one eleribu try am undecided
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by masterP042(m): 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2017
It's karma at work. I so much hate this Futo man o war with passion. They go about intimidating Futo students especially those at hostel.. Even last year they raped and molested an innocent female student at hostel c.
God punish Futo man o war

9 Likes

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by SeniorZato(m): 4:31pm On Apr 23, 2017
He only wanted to draw attention. That's not suicide
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 23, 2017
He pulled quite a stunt there.
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by fixedhollies(m): 4:32pm On Apr 23, 2017
O boy go join Soldier... Even me wey graduate waitin i don use am do? There are trillions ways to make it in life....
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Darkseid(m): 4:32pm On Apr 23, 2017
Should I say good for him? angry
I hated those FUTO man o war guys, imagine a small pre-degree boy telling a final year student to kneel. I thank God I never had any problem with them, na those liverless hostel boys suffer am.

But I swim that river sha, especially the one close to Ihiagwa secondary school.
Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by harryjunior17(m): 4:33pm On Apr 23, 2017
Suicide is not the best way to end one's struggles and pains.. No one has the right to take his/her life.. Cus he/she's not the owner .. Well.. I knew sydney prince well.. The former C-in-C dat stays in hostel E..

1 Like

Re: FUTO Undergraduate Attempts Suicide By Jumping Into River by Babachukwu: 4:33pm On Apr 23, 2017
I don't think spill over courses will make someone to take his life

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is The State Of A School In Ikotun, Lagos (pictures) / How Do I Check The Institution I Chosen I Jamb Registration / UI Ranked Among Top 500 Varsities Globally, Named West Africa’s Best.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.