Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Nigerian Vs. American Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Vs. American Culture (10008 Views)

African Vs American Mum / Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? / How Did Ghana Lose Their Culture To Black American Culture ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Vs. American Culture by LarryBee1k: 10:01pm On Apr 23, 2017
Definition of culture: the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group:

I lived in Nigeria for 12years and in the states for 12years. Some differences I have noticed in Nigerian and American culture. I left Nigeria 12years ago, some things about Nigeria might be different but you will get the gist.
General Culture:
-Nigerian culture: grouped by language. Each language has its own culture. People who speak the same language share the same culture. For example: People who speak Yoruba language share the same culture.
-American culture: It’s really hard to sum up the American culture because it’s so diverse. The way people think in the North is not the way people think in the South. I think the social norms are similar across the states.

Social Norms
Nigerian: Can’t call your elders by their first name. Instead you say “Aunty” or “Uncle” even though they are not related to you. Professionally: Say “Madame” or “Sir”
American: Can call elders by their first name. Professionally: Say “Ma’am” or “Sir”
Family:
Nigerian Parents: Very strict and not affectionate. They are not open to meeting girlfriends or boyfriends except you are getting engaged to them.
American Parents: Lenient and more affectionate. They are open to meeting the people their kids are dating.
Kids:
Nigerian: Kids can live with their parents till they get married with full support from their parents.
American: legal adult age is 18 which mean their parents can kick them out of the house at this age. That’s why a lot of Americans are independent by this age. Their culture encourages independence by 18.
Education:
Nigerian: Value Education.. Education is HUGE in our Culture!!!! Uneducated people are undermined and look down upon.
American: Education is huge in American Culture as well but it varies among ethnic groups.
School
Nigerian: Nursery, Primary and Secondary school students are required to wear uniforms. University students can wear what they like. Teachers and senior students can punish junior students in Primary and secondary schools.
American: Private school students have to wear uniforms. Public students can wear what they like. University students can wear what they like.
Clothing:
Nigerian: When I was in Nigeria, it wasn’t socially acceptable for girls to wear pants but I think time is changing (it’s becoming more socially acceptable).
American: Women can wear pants. It’s socially acceptable for women to wear pants. It is very possible for a woman to wear pants all year without wearing skirts and dresses (very possible).
Shopping:
Nigerian: You can bargain prices and buy things at a lower price. Supermarkets you can’t bargain.
American: No bargaining. The price you see is what you pay except they are on sale or you have a coupon. People can bargain at auctions and stuff.
Misc-
Nigerian: Social economic class competitions.
American: Race Issues
Greetings:
Nigeria: Shake hands elders with both hands instead of one. Never greet an elder with a left hand. Showing respect to elders is very important in our culture.
American: Doesn’t really matter.
https://larryshotspot..com.ng/2017/04/nigerian-vs-american-culture.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by PrinceAbinibi: 10:44am On Apr 24, 2017
by the way we say trousers not pants. pants here means pata.
Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by LarryBee1k: 9:24pm On Apr 24, 2017
PrinceAbinibi:
yeah that too
Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by Nobody: 7:40am On Apr 25, 2017
That's culture for you but you fail to mention that in Nigeria female children are looked down. You would notice it when a woman gives birth to a baby, the mode and laughter changes on hearing it's a boy or girl. Some part of Nigeria doesn't allow their female child to inherit their family wealth
Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 25, 2017
So what does your comparison hope to achieve now?
Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by fergusen: 10:56am On Apr 26, 2017
PrinceAbinibi:
true cheesy I had trouble reconciling both words years back.
Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by LarryBee1k: 12:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
asuustrike2009:
That's culture for you but you fail to mention that in Nigeria female children are looked down. You would notice it when a woman gives birth to a baby, the mode and laughter changes on hearing it's a boy or girl. Some part of Nigeria doesn't allow their female child to inherit their family wealth
yeah but not all tribe does dat
Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by LarryBee1k: 12:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
Vorpal:
So what does your comparison hope to achieve now?
to know the difference now, e.g for those coming to Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by nlPoster: 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2019
Re: Nigerian Vs. American Culture by pikamoo: 1:34am On Jul 01, 2020
Hello Mr. Larry Bee,

I hope it's ok if I share more about this statement.
"American: Can call elders by their first name. Professionally: Say “Ma’am” or “Sir”"

I am from Oklahoma. Our custom is Southern. I was always taught to address elders who are not family by with Mr. or Miss/Mrs. and then their last name. Such as Mr. Bee. If they ask you to call them by their first name you should refrain from doing it. Only if they insist like on the second or third time of asking. When you address them by their first name its best to use Mr. or Miss/Mrs. and their first name. Such as Mr Larry.

The best time to use a first name without the Mr or Mrs. is when you want to emphasize something important that is very meaningful. It might be a moment of showing how you care or love them. A moment might if you have known them for a long time, you're saying Good Bye and won't see them again.

I was taught to address family elders as Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle, and their first name or nicknames. I had an Uncle named Gordon. I called him by his nickname Uncle Bootsie. I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

(1) (Reply)

Alusi: A Study Of Igbo Gods / Please What Is The Meaning Of Nekwa And Inukwa / The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.