Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words (20601 Views)

Can I Recite Adhkar In Yoruba, Hausa Or Other Languages Other Than Arabic? / Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) / Meaning Of Alhaji Or Alhaja In Arabic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by smemud(m): 5:30pm On Apr 24, 2017
By Farooq A. Kperogi, Ph.D.

I am taking a break from English grammar this week to discuss a fascinating 22-page article I read on the Arabic roots of many contemporary Yoruba words. Titled “On Arabic Loans in Yoruba,” it was written by Professor Sergio Baldi, a well-regarded Italian linguist, who presented it at the Annual Conference on African Linguistics in California, USA, in March 1995.

The article lists scores of common Yoruba words that are derived from Arabic sometimes by way of Hausa, at other times by way of Songhai (Zarma and Dendi languages in present-day Niger, Mali, and Benin republics are examples of Songhai languages), and occasionally directly from Arabic. (To read the full article, click here ).
In this essay, I isolate only words that, from my modest knowledge of Yoruba, enjoy widespread usage and that are not limited to the vernacular of Yoruba Muslims. It is noteworthy that different versions of many of the words below are also used widely in Hausa, Kanuri, Igala, Ebira, Batonu, Nupe, and many Niger-Congo languages in northern and central Nigeria. In fact, “wahala,” a common Nigerian Pidgin English word, has Arabic origins, as you will see shortly.

1. Abere. This Yoruba word for “needle” traces its etymology to the Arabic “ai-bra,” which also means needle.

2. Adura. This is the Yoruba word for prayers. In fact, there is a popular syncretic Christian sect in Yorubaland that goes by the name “aladura,” meaning “people who pray” or “praying people.” Many other northern and central Nigerian languages have some version of this word to denote prayers. It is derived from the Arabic “du’a,” which also means prayers.

3. Alubosa. This Yoruba word for “onion” was borrowed from the Hausa “albasa,” which in turn borrowed it from the Arabic “al-basal.”

4. Alufa/Alfa. This is a widely used word for a Muslim scholar (and occasionally any Muslim) not just in Yorubaland but in Nupeland, Borgu, Igalaland, Ebiraland, etc. It is now increasingly used by Yoruba Muslim women as a term of respect for their husbands.

Surprisingly, the word is absent in the Hausa language. It came as no surprise therefore when Professor Baldi suggested that the word came to the Yoruba language—and many other central Nigerian languages—through the Songhai. It is derived from the Arabic “khalifah,” which means a “successor” or a “representative” (of the prophet of Islam). It was first corrupted to “Alfa” by the Songhai who later exported their version of the word to western and central Nigeria—and to other parts of West Africa. Many Songhai were itinerant Islamic preachers who traveled all over West Africa.

5. Atele/itele. It means “following” in Yoruba, and it is derived from “at-talin,” which also means “following” in Arabic.

6. Amodi. It means “disease” in Yoruba and is derived from “al-marad,” the Arabic word for disease.

7. “Amo.” It is a conjunction in Yoruba, which performs the same function that the word “but” performs in English; it introduces contrast. It is rendered as “amma” in Hausa, which is the way it is rendered in its original Arabic form.

8. Anfani. This Yoruba word for “utility” or “importance” also occurs in Hausa, Batonu, and many northern and central Nigerian languages. It is derived from the Arabic “naf,” which means “advantage, profit.”

9. Ara/ apaara. The word means "thunder" in Yoruba, and is derived from the Arabic “ar-ra’d.”

10. Asiri. It means “secret” in Yoruba, Hausa, and in many other Nigerian languages. It is derived from the Arabic “as-sirr” where it also means “secret.”

11. Barika. This is the Yoruba word for “congratulations.” It is rendered as “barka” in Hausa. The word’s original Arabic form is “al-baraka,” which means “greetings.”

12. Borokinni. It means a “gentleman, respected man in a secure financial position.” The word is also found in many Borgu languages, such as Batonu and Bokobaru, where “boro” means a “friend.” It is derived from the Arabic “rukn,” which means “support, corner, basic element.”
13. Faari. It means “showing off” or “boastfulness” or “ostentatious display” in Yoruba. It has the same meaning in many Borgu languages. It is derived from the Arabic “fakhr,” which means “glory, pride, honor.” (Note that “kh” is a guttural sound in Arabic, which is close to a hard “h” in English. That sound was dropped by Nigerian languages).

14. Fitila. It means any kind of lamp. Its roots are located in the Arabic word for lamp, which is “fatil.”

15. Ijamba. Professor Baldi defines this word as “bodily harm,” but the meaning of the word I’m familiar with is one that associates it with cunning, cheating, deceit. It is derived from the Arabic “danb,” or “danba,” which means “sin, crime.” (Note that Arabic frequently dispenses with end vowels (that is, a, e, i, o, and u) in words, whereas many Nigerian languages almost always end words with a vowel—and add them to words they borrow from other languages if such words lack an end vowel).

16. Imale. This is the Yoruba word for “Muslim.” I read previous interpretations of this word from Yoruba scholars who say it is Yoruba for “that which is difficult” to underscore the difficulty of Islamic practices like praying five times a day, fasting for 30 days during Ramadan, etc. Other Yoruba scholars said the word initially denoted “people from Mali” since the Songhai people who Islamized Yoruba land in the 15th century were from Mali.
But Baldi argues that “imale” is the corruption of the Arabic “Mu’alim,” which means a teacher. In the Hausa language, the word is rendered as Maalam. It’s interesting that “Mallam” has become the synonym for Hausa (or northern) Muslim in southern Nigeria.

17. Iwaju. It’s the Yoruba word for “front part.” I didn’t imagine that this word had an Arabic origin until I read Baldi’s article. It is derived from the Arabic “al-wajh,” which means “front” or “face.”

18 . Iwaasu. It is the Yoruba term for “preaching” or “sermon.” It is used by both Christians and Muslims in Yorubaland, and is derived from the Arabic “waz,” which means “admonition” or “sermon.” (The Yoruba language has no “z” sound, so it substitutes “z” with “s” when it borrows words from other languages with “z” sounds).

19. Suuru. It means “patience” not only in Yoruba but in many languages in central and northern Nigeria. It is derived from the Arabic “sabr,” which also means “patience.”

20. Talaka. It means the poor. It came to Yoruba by way of Hausa, which borrowed it from the Tuareg (where it is rendered as "taleqque" and where it means “a poor woman”). It’s also used in Mandingo, Songhai languages, Kanuri, Teda, and many West African languages. Baldi says this word has no Arabic origins. On the surface, this may be true. After all, the Arabic word for a poor person is “fakir” (plural: “fuqura”).
However, “talaq,” as most Muslims know, is the Arabic word for divorce. (The chapter of the Qur'an that deals with the subject of divorce is called Suratul Talaq). Talaq is derived from the verb “talaqa,” which means to “disown,” to “repudiate.” In times past (and it’s still the case today in many Muslim societies) if a woman was divorced, she was invariably thrown into poverty. Thus, Tuaregs used the term “taleqque” to denote a “poor woman.” But Hausa, Kanuri, Yoruba, Mandingo, and other West African languages expanded the original Tuareg meaning of the word to include every poor person. This is my theory.

21. Tobi. This Yoruba word for “women’s knickers” is derived from the Arabic “taub,” which means “garment,” “dress,” “cloth.” Another tonal variation of this word leads to a different Yoruba word, which means “big.”

22 . Wahala. Well, this isn’t just a Yoruba word by way of Hausa; it’s made its way into most Nigerian languages—and into West African Pidgin English. It means “trouble,” and it’s derived from the Arabic “wahla,” which means “fright,” “terror.”
Postscript:

Someone called my attention to the fact that "alafia," which also appears in the greetings of many northern and central Nigerian languages (and which is rendered as "lafia" in Hausa) is also derived from the Arabic "afiya," which means "health.
http://www.farooqkperogi.com/2012/05/arabic-origins-of-common-yoruba-words.html?m=1

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by eluquenson(m): 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2017
Definitely its obvious we are all descendants of the Arab nation according to the Holy Qur'an

The Yoruba and Hausa nation are more closer to the Arab nation by origin than any other tribe in Nigeria.

Thanks @Op for shedding some light on this topic.

20 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 24, 2017
eluquenson:
Definitely its obvious we are all descendants of the Arab nation according to the Holy Qur'an

According to the Qur'an? Proof pls...

11 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by AbuHammaad: 2:05am On Apr 25, 2017
Arisiki - Ar rizq

Provisions

14 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by eluquenson(m): 7:37am On Apr 25, 2017
AbdelKabir:

According to the Qur'an? Proof pls...
Bros, lets be sincere with what we read and say, according to the Qur'an, Allah created Adam and Eve right, whom were Arabs by tribe....pls consult your dictionary for meaning of descendant, stop asking rhetorical questions here just to show you know something or what have you.

4 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 25, 2017
eluquenson:
Bros, lets be sincere with what we read and say, according to the Qur'an, Allah created Adam and Eve right, whom were Arabs by tribe

Adam and eve Arabs? Where did you get that from?

....pls consult your dictionary for meaning of descendant, stop asking rhetorical questions here just to show you know something or what have you.

So asking a question now mean " to show you know something"? Do you know my intent? Why jumping into an unnecessary conclusion? Anyway I'm not disturbed by this unguarded statement of yours, the onus lies on you to prove that Adam and eve were Arabs according to the Qur'an...

I'm concerned because you mentioned the Qur'an which if you fail to prove from the Qur'an that Adam and eve were Arabs then you've lied against Allaah...

"Verily, those who invent lie against Allaah will never be successful' (suratu yunus)

BTW You need to look up what a rhetorical question is...

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by eluquenson(m): 8:47am On Apr 25, 2017
AbdelKabir:

Adam and eve Arabs? Where did you get that from?

So asking a question now mean " to show you know something"? Do you know my intent? Why jumping into an unnecessary conclusion? Anyway I'm not disturbed by this unguarded statement of yours, the onus lies on you to prove that Adam and eve were Arabs according to the Qur'an...

I'm concerned because you mentioned the Qur'an which if you fail to prove from the Qur'an that Adam and eve were Arabs then you've lied against Allaah...

"Verily, those who invent lie against Allaah will never be successful' (suratu yunus)

BTW You need to look up what a rhetorical question is...
I don't need to engage in any argument with you, you are knowledgeable to fathom from my statement.

1 Like

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 25, 2017
eluquenson:
I don't need to engage in any argument with you, you are knowledgeable to fathom from my statement.

I am not arguing with you.....and I'm not knowledgeable..... I'm just asking a question, where in the Qur'an was it mentioned that Adam and eve were Arabs?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Demmzy15(m): 2:50pm On Apr 25, 2017
This is frontpage worthy!

3 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by mmsen: 11:00am On Apr 28, 2017
eluquenson:

The Yoruba and Hausa nation are more closer to the Arab nation by origin than any other tribe in Nigeria.

How can we be descendants of Arabs when the first people came from Africa?

And is being the descendants of Arabs something to be proud of?

Is that why Nigerian Muslims are so barbaric?

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Origin(f): 11:03am On Apr 28, 2017
Seria - ma da seria fun e. From Sharia.

5 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by AbuHammaad: 11:06am On Apr 28, 2017
mmsen:

And is being a descendants of Arabs something to be proud of?

If you can't argue without using vulgar language like the Agbero that you are, why don't you stick to your Christian threads?

You don't see us on your threads, do you? Shows how irrelevant you are to us. We don't care.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by mmsen: 11:09am On Apr 28, 2017
AbuHammaad:

If you can't argue without using vulgar language like the Agbero that you are, why don't you stick to your Christian threads?

You don't see us on your threads, do you? Shows how irrelevant you are to us. We don't care.

I'm not an Agbero.

Nor am I a xtian.

People are here making illogical statements, I simply asked a rational question.

It's not my fault if you people cannot reason.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by CagedSoul: 11:22am On Apr 28, 2017
Well done OP.. You've done well. Even though I still don't understand why this should be in the Muslim section Maybe it's because Islam is directly connected to the Arabic Lang. Right? This should rather be in the Language section(if there is one) or the culture Section. Every body can benefit from this knowledge.

LOL @ the one calling Adam and Eve Arabs,a bigger lol @ the one twisting "the proof" by saying that it's in the Holy Book undecided Prophet Ismail is the first known Arab to my own knowledge smiley

7 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 28, 2017
eluquenson:

Speak for yourself baba,I AM NOT A DESCENDANT of the Arabians.. I be African man,Im a descendant of the African nation.

Why does the African man always try to associate himself to the white man/Arabian when it should be vice-versa..
Life started from Africa
The Arabs/White men are OUR descendants.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Sammy07: 11:30am On Apr 28, 2017
AbuHammaad:

I have a problem with this your statement @the bolded

6 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 28, 2017
mmsen:

No mind dem.. Which kind Arab descendant.
the fact that we threw our own indigenous religion away to practice theirs doesnt make us their descendant.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Sammy07: 11:31am On Apr 28, 2017
HarkymTheOracle:

Speak for yourself baba,I AM NOT A DESCENDANT of the Arabians.. I be African man,Im a descendant of the African nation.

Why does the African man always try to associate himself to the white man/Arabian when it should be vice-versa..
Life started from Africa

don't mind the guy

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by CagedSoul: 11:41am On Apr 28, 2017
AbuHammaad:

@the bolded
This isn't right. This isn't the way to argue or make them see the light. You just occurred in the same mistake. Try to be civil. Islam preaches peace smiley wink

2 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by CagedSoul: 11:44am On Apr 28, 2017
HarkymTheOracle:

Life started from Africa

Lọl cheesy cheesy Pls don't mind him. U can see the Muslims are also demanding for proof to back his assertion cool by the way, I'm a Muslim.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by AlBaqir(m): 11:50am On Apr 28, 2017
eluquenson:

Black, africans were first human on earth. Meaning that African language is the oldest. Other color and language are variations from Africa.

# Do your research well please.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by businesscitadel(m): 11:53am On Apr 28, 2017
eluquenson:

I give up on these brainwashed Nigerians. undecided undecided The kind of things religion dey do to people. cry

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by hollyray2016: 11:58am On Apr 28, 2017
God for forbid! AM NOT A DESCENDANT of the Arabians and i will never be

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by mmsen: 11:59am On Apr 28, 2017
businesscitadel:

I give up on these brainwashed Nigerians. undecided undecided The kind of things religion dey do to people. cry

Can we create a separate area for them to occupy so that they can live in their self-delusion and backwardness?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by businesscitadel(m): 12:05pm On Apr 28, 2017
mmsen:

Can we create a separate area for them to occupy so that they can live in their self-delusion and backwardness?

A place in the jungle with the animals would not be bad. I would have said Saudi Arabia but the Royal Arabs will only turn them to slaves which they are already willing to be undecided . We'll take away any modern invention from 1900 till today and they can practice Sharia in the jungle as much as they want. tongue

4 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by kabawa(m): 12:22pm On Apr 28, 2017
Very nice right up op, cool
Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by vedaxcool(m): 12:29pm On Apr 28, 2017
mmsen:

I am very certain it wasn't Nigerian Muslims who starve their children in Akwa ibom under the guise of being witches, nor resorted to cannibalism in communal conflicts in the North.... or is this a like mission you are embanking on?

4 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by mmsen: 12:31pm On Apr 28, 2017
vedaxcool:

I am very certain it wasn't Nigerian Muslims who starve their children in Akwa ibom under the guise of being witches, nor resorted to cannibalism in communal conflicts in the North.... or is this a like mission you are embanking on?

The percentage of children being accused of being witches is unfortunate but very small. As opposed to the millions of Almajiri that are thrown out onto the street to fend for themselves.

Which cannibalism are you speaking of? That's news to me. What isn't news is the rampant child rape committed by northern Muslims.

The north has more children out of school than anywhere else in Africa.

Malnutrition is threatening the north, especially the IDPs in the north east because northern Muslims are stealing vital resources that have been donated to make life easier for the people stuck in camps.

12 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 28, 2017
Yoruba came from Arab...wtf is the guy name okanbi or shii left mecca to Ife...so we came from mecca marn
Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by vedaxcool(m): 12:34pm On Apr 28, 2017
[s]
businesscitadel:

A place in the jungle with the animals would not be bad. I would have said Saudi Arabia but the Royal Arabs will only turn them to slaves which they are already willing to be undecided . We'll take away any modern invention from 1900 till today and they can practice Sharia in the jungle as much as they want. tongue
[/s]

For someone who has nothing to his name or any credible achievement, these sort of jobless engagement would be a perfect recipe for self fulfillment.

2 Likes

Re: The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words by vedaxcool(m): 12:40pm On Apr 28, 2017
[s]
mmsen:

The percentage of children being accused of being witches is unfortunate but very small. As opposed to the millions of Almajiri that are thrown out onto the street to fend for themselves.

Which cannibalism are you speaking of? That's news to me. What isn't news is the rampant child rape committed by northern Muslims.

The north has more children out of school than anywhere else in Africa.

Malnutrition is threatening the north, especially the IDPs in the north east because of northern Muslims are stealing vital resources that have been donated to make life easier for the people stuck in camps.
[/s]

And the south more prostitutes and ritual killings thab anywhere in Africa, But no one is itching to call them names. Google cannibalism in Jos ... Only ignoramus think Muslims are the only occupants of the north. The NSA who diverted millions of dollar meant for security for the campaign of president who is a failure by all accounts is also a Muslim?

Education has no value if you cannot reason any better than an illiterate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Islam Section Debate (NISD) / Folashade Lawal: Nigerian Pilgrim Slumps And Dies In Saudi Arabia / Ramadan 2018. Moon Sighted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.