Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones (23305 Views)

Samsung Sued Over Water-resistant Phone Claims / Four Water-proof Phones You'll Want Right Now / Nomu S30 - Water Proof/dust Proof/shatter Proof Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by justino57(m): 8:05pm On Apr 24, 2017
The popular Nigerian slangs "Water no get enemy" is not applicable to mobile phones and other electronic devices because once water enters inside a smartphone, it could render it completely useless if nothing was done immediately. But thank God for the advance in technology as In recent times, some phone OEM decided to make phones that can withstand the dangerous effects water on them either when immersed or when being beaten by the rain.

Water Resistant Phone
However, the confusing part of it is some of these phones are tagged "water resistant" while some are tagged "water proof" by the manufacturers. So I want to use this medium to clarify you and enlighten you on the difference between water resistant and water proof phones.

Another tech term we usually come across whenever phones with this feature are released is "IP68 certifications". So let's take a closer look of what it means and how it's related to this topic.
  

Meaning of IP68 certification

This certification is given to electronic devices that passes a certain level of test specially meant to check if the device is dust proof and water proof. In other words, all IP68 certified handsets are water proof.

But why do manufactures use the word water resistant and sometimes water proof?

Smartphone makers refers phones that are IP68 certified, and are designed in such a way that the ports are sealed (ports like audio jack, micro USB etc) come with a rubber cover that seals off the opening as water proof phones.

While they refer phones with IP68 certification and ports not closed as water resistant.

Difference Between Water Proof Vs Water Resistant

If your phone is IP68 certified and have all its ports sealed with a rubber material, it is water proof.
But if your phone is IP68 certified and all or some of the ports are open,

Summary
So in conclusion, there is really no much difference, a IP68 certified handset will survive under water as long as the basic requirements are fulfilled i.e. max depth / time under water etc.

Meanwhile, you need to be extra careful with the handset that are water resistant or the one that does not come with the ports sealed. You need to dry such handsets if they were submerged, and never plug in the power for charging for at least 24 hours – you need to be sure the ports are completely dry.

For handsets with ports sealed you don’t have to worry about, only thing is to make sure that the ports are sealed before using handset ......

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by 4everisaac(m): 8:22pm On Apr 24, 2017
Thanks Op
I have a question. Bia, Op is any tecno phone IP68 certified? boki
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Mrjo(m): 8:34pm On Apr 24, 2017
Somebody should give op 1 bottle of locozade boast

9 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by swagenity(m): 9:30pm On Apr 24, 2017
r
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by swagenity(m): 9:31pm On Apr 24, 2017
t
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Nobody: 6:37am On Apr 25, 2017
Why should bother my self with water resistant/proof phones when i dont leave in water?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by jerrybakermillz(m): 7:11am On Apr 25, 2017
Kk.. I go Kindly wait for nylon proof phone, that one fit dey under ocean for 2weeks and nothing go shake am.... E go just dey on is own dey snap all the fishes under the ocean

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by PLANETMARS(m): 7:12am On Apr 25, 2017
Nokia 3310 who remember the world first water resistant fone

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by madgoat(m): 7:13am On Apr 25, 2017
grin grin grin
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by pistero(m): 7:14am On Apr 25, 2017
very educative
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by 2shure: 7:14am On Apr 25, 2017
My sony xperia m4 aqua packed up fully lastvyear.
After runnin diff watwr tests.
D watwr no gree dry away feom screen.
Br u know it
D phone begin do nepa.
On off.on off.
I vex enter ring road.
D guy say men no level
Say e don be
But say men if i wan still try my luck dem for flash am 5k.
O bobs.naso i zoom off go buy LG G4.
I love LG die

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Moreoffaith(m): 7:15am On Apr 25, 2017
Na inside 4 nylon I kuku dey keep my Nokia 3510i if I get call I go open nylon receive am keep am back..

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Alitair(m): 7:15am On Apr 25, 2017
My nokia torch should be water resistant. Water has no power over it.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by OnowuOra(m): 7:15am On Apr 25, 2017
K

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by pistero(m): 7:15am On Apr 25, 2017
swagenity:
r
is for rat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by benuejosh: 7:15am On Apr 25, 2017
there's a sentence that is incomplete in that write up then all of a sudden i saw Summary. Abi na my eyes no the see/read well?

24 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by maxiuc(m): 7:15am On Apr 25, 2017
When going out in raining season I dey carry nylon for pocket in case rain should start I go just wrap my phone with it chikena

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by kingcomet(m): 7:17am On Apr 25, 2017
Technology with nokia 3310. First water proof phone
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by davedan88(m): 7:18am On Apr 25, 2017
Thanks man its very educative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by daddyiel(m): 7:19am On Apr 25, 2017
ok.
2shure:
My sony xperia m4 aqua packed up fully lastvyear.
After runnin diff watwr tests.
D watwr no gree dry away feom screen.
Br u know it
D phone begin do nepa.
On off.on off.
I vex enter ring road.
D guy say men no level
Say e don be
But say men if i wan still try my luck dem for flash am 5k.
O bobs.naso i zoom off go buy LG G4.
I love LG die
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by VickieEMW(m): 7:20am On Apr 25, 2017
maxiuc:
When going out in raining season I dey carry nylon for pocket in case rain should start I go just wrap my phone with it chikena

LoL... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Flintstone06(m): 7:20am On Apr 25, 2017
maxiuc:

One bottle of Jack Daniels for you. Na you be the man wey sabi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by clems88(m): 7:22am On Apr 25, 2017
Great work Op . more greez to ur engine cheesy

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 25, 2017
I have a payoneer card for sale. pm or quote me if interested.
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Timiblanko(m): 7:23am On Apr 25, 2017
Since you have money to buy another phone try to soak your phone in water grin
it is better for you to handle it with care. Commenting via Nokia E72
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by aboyaji(m): 7:26am On Apr 25, 2017
Op, this is contradictory
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by masterP042(m): 7:28am On Apr 25, 2017
What people don't know is that these water resistant phones have their limit to water resistance. The resistance depends on the depth or water pressure, time duration under water, jet force of the water splash etc
Cos some Mumu fit leave their phone over night inside water or even throw am inside geepee tank, all in the name of water resistance angry

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by calddon(m): 7:28am On Apr 25, 2017
My current Samsung phone is water resistant according to spec, but the fear of fear never gree me test am. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by kabayomi(m): 7:33am On Apr 25, 2017
My friend been buy one so called waterproof phone, im go jump for eti osa test am. You know the ending grin
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Lanretoye(m): 7:44am On Apr 25, 2017
calddon:
My current Samsung phone is water resistant according to spec, but the fear of fear never gree me test am. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
our ppl wey dey carry iphone 7 enter swimming pool...i don't think there is a fone that survives the water test with mobile network,cellular data,wifi, buzzer etc active.
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Officialpyper(m): 7:47am On Apr 25, 2017
I heard my sony xperia z3 is water resistant. Never tried it tho

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by femi4: 7:50am On Apr 25, 2017
Only water resistance that I know: 3310

No phone is water proof....water must find a way

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Big 6 Specification And Pictures / The Truth About Mtn's Awuf4u Package / Best Browsers For Your Android Smartphone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.