Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) (15014 Views)

Water Leakage Inside Nigerian Plane While Raining (Photo/Video) / My First Time On A Nigerian Plane (hilarious) / Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by theORAKU(m): 4:46pm On Dec 10, 2005
Reports: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash 22 minutes ago

A Nigerian passenger jet crashed in the southern city of Port Harcourt, killing almost all passengers on board.

Radio station Rhythm FM said a Sosoliso Airlines plane "crash landed and burst into flames." It did not elaborate.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Seun(m): 4:56pm On Dec 10, 2005
UPDATE:

Here is a link to the list of people who were on board:
http://www.sosolisoairline.com/read.asp?newsID=36

From the official website of sosoliso airlines:
http://www.sosolisoairline.com/
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Oloks(m): 5:00pm On Dec 10, 2005
Plane Crash in Port Harcourt..BBC reporting 56 dead though there are few survivors.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by mamba(m): 5:02pm On Dec 10, 2005
Is this for real?
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by theORAKU(m): 5:03pm On Dec 10, 2005
cant be more real.

i live in port harcourt and this is from rhythm fm93.7

its sad.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by seyefar(m): 5:06pm On Dec 10, 2005
pls confirm and give more info.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by mamba(m): 5:08pm On Dec 10, 2005
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by theORAKU(m): 5:10pm On Dec 10, 2005
it was so bad that there was serious announcement on radio that people with ambulances should drive straight to the airp[ort as there was none or few down there.

Funny enough, i could remember hearing the airline's advert on radio about their new improved flights to port harcourt just yesterday.

It could have been anybody on that plane, even me as i shuttle between lagos and ph once a month and would have boarded any available flight.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by omon(m): 5:27pm On Dec 10, 2005
Why can't we get good news for a week in Naija for once... this is sad!
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by demmy(m): 5:27pm On Dec 10, 2005
Its true sadly.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by owo(m): 5:40pm On Dec 10, 2005
So sad....God help us
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by aloib(f): 5:44pm On Dec 10, 2005
sad sad sad
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by IAH(f): 5:45pm On Dec 10, 2005
I can't believe it! Jesus!! cry
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by otokx(m): 6:35pm On Dec 10, 2005
i susgest that all private airlines be recertified and rechecked, by the way i doubt if there will be any survivors.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by rilla64: 6:38pm On Dec 10, 2005
My brother wanted to board that flight this morning but later decided to go with another sosoliso flight to Enugu.
Thank God for his mercies.

1 Like

Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by otokx(m): 6:41pm On Dec 10, 2005
who said a plane crash is a bad news? what if it had just disappeared?
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by aloib(f): 6:41pm On Dec 10, 2005
rilla64:

My brother wanted to board that flight this morning but later decided to go with another sosoliso flight to Enugu.
Thank God for his mercies.

ah u need to pray my sister......................... i follow u thank GOD o.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by FLYBOY(m): 6:43pm On Dec 10, 2005
Its a sad day.
Especially if unconfirmed reports saying close to 75 of 110 on board were school children going on xmas hols prove to be true...sad
R.I.P

Airplanes and storms don't mix.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by rilla64: 6:43pm On Dec 10, 2005
I dropped him at the airport this morning. He insisted on going to ph but later changed to Enugu cos my mom told him to. He just called.

1 Like

Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by aloib(f): 6:44pm On Dec 10, 2005
they said it crash landed and burst in to flames
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by otokx(m): 6:45pm On Dec 10, 2005
i will like to get an eye witness report.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by aloib(f): 6:45pm On Dec 10, 2005
rilla64:

I dropped him at the airport this morning. He insisted on going to ph but later changed to Enugu because my mom told him to. He just called.

cool. u need to go for thanks giving
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by goodguy(m): 7:11pm On Dec 10, 2005
This is sad indeed. One catastrophe upon another. sad

Life's gotta go on..
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by prettyH(f): 7:32pm On Dec 10, 2005
Another one. God pls help us o. AMEN
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by demmy(m): 8:21pm On Dec 10, 2005
We need huge overhaul of our aviation industry. NOW. sad
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by layi(m): 8:23pm On Dec 10, 2005
I heard 7 people have been rescued as at now.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by xdos(m): 8:36pm On Dec 10, 2005
sad We just had two to three crashes within two months... Is this another way of eliminating Obasanjo's opponents?
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by hotangel2(f): 8:44pm On Dec 10, 2005
I THINK IT IS CONFIRMED OOO!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_on_re_af/nigeria_plane_crash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4517024.stm

Nigeria jet crash leaves 103 dead
A passenger plane has crashed in the southern Nigerian city of Port Harcourt, killing 103 people on board.

Seven survivors are said to have emerged from the burning wreckage of the plane.

The plane was bringing passengers from the capital Abuja when it overshot the runway during an electrical storm and burst into flames.

The DC-9, owned by the private Sosoliso Airlines, was said to be carrying dozens of school pupils.

The cause of the crash is not known, but civil aviation spokesman Samuel Adurogboye said the aircraft "ran into bad weather".

NIGERIA PLANE CRASHES
October 2005: Bellview Airlines plane crashes near the rural town of Kishi, Oyo state, killing 117 people
May 2002: Plane operated by EAS Airlines crashes in Kano, killing 148 people - half of them on the ground
November 1996: 142 people die when Boeing 727 owned by Nigeria's ADC airline plunges into lagoon 85km (55 miles) from Lagos
September 1992: 158 people are killed when military transport plane goes down near Lagos

Air disasters timeline

"Almost everyone was killed. There was a lot of flames," said an airport official.

"There were many students onboard, returning for the holidays."

Mr Adurogboye said seven people were rescued.

"They were breathing and were taken to hospital. They are responding to treatment," he said.

He did not say if they were passengers or crew members.

A distraught mother awaiting news of her child at the Port Harcourt airport said the plane was carrying 75 secondary school students from a Jesuit college in Abuja.

Safety concerns

A Boeing 737 aircraft crashed in October shortly after take-off from the commercial capital Lagos, killing all 117 people on board.

The flight recorders from that plane were never found.

President Olusegun Obasanjo had instructed his aviation minister to plug any loopholes to ensure airline safety.

Correspondents say Nigeria's aviation industry has grown rapidly in recent years, but many aircraft are elderly and there have been several fatal crashes.

However, Sosoliso was regarded as one of the safer domestic Nigerian airlines.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno whats happening to nigeria again oo.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by c0dec(m): 8:59pm On Dec 10, 2005
sh*t!
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by goodguy(m): 9:05pm On Dec 10, 2005
My dear, nothing is happening to Nigeria. Everything that happens has it's own purpose for occuring.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Ezee(m): 9:29pm On Dec 10, 2005
It is really incredible what's happening in this country now. Three plane crashes in two months. Now is the turn of airline who knows what measure it will take next or will it move to night buss. I'm afraid of this tragic happenings. One out to be pray harder.But i still wonder after all the prayers offered since the inception of civilian administration,i haven't seen any changes. What's happening
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Greatpeter(m): 9:51pm On Dec 10, 2005
There were 110 souls on board including the seven crew members more than 100 dear only seven survivors.

The plane crash today in Portharcourt coming from Abuja.
It's so saddened that both our roads and space are no more safe.
may God have mercy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All Hail The New Boeing 797 / To Marry Or Not To Marry / What's Your Reason For Considering Japa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.