Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,883 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:28 AM

Bride To Be - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Bride To Be (18890 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It / A Bride For November By Rose Akpabio / The Child Bride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 6:56pm On May 20, 2017
ChapterSix

So this was what it meant to be part of a
family, Gift mused, as Jason drove her
and Carrie home from the ball field. This
profound sense of belonging, of acceptance.
She’d never experienced anything like it
before. It was as though Jason’s family had
known and loved her for years. As though
they genuinely cared for her. Gift
couldn’t recall a time when she’d felt
anything as uplifting as she had that
afternoon.
After the game they’d gathered together for
a picnic. Gift didn’t think she’d ever
laughed more. There’d been good-natured
teasing, jokes, games. Even now, driving
home, laughter echoed in her ears. The
cousins were as close as brothers and
sisters, the older ones watching out for the
smaller children. They fought like brothers
and sisters, too, mostly over Carrie, each
wanting her attention.
Carrie had beamed, loving every minute of it.
After the initial round of questions, Leah and
Jamie had treated Gift like…well, like
family. The women were obviously good
friends, yet included Gift in all their
conversations. Jason’s brothers, too, had
tried to make her feel comfortable. Neither
Paul nor Rich had asked a single question
about her relationship with Jason, probably
content to have their wives fill in the gaps
later.
“You’re very quiet,” Jason said, taking his
eyes off the road for a second. “Anything
wrong? My brothers didn’t—”
“No,” she assured him with a smile.
The only sound was the hum of the road.
Carrie, usually filled with boundless energy,
was exhausted after chasing the children
around for most of the afternoon. She’d
enjoyed herself as much as Gift had.
And perhaps her daughter was thinking the
same thing Gift was—that she’d
missed out on something important
because they only had each other.
Jason parked the car, then carried the near-
empty picnic basket into her kitchen. He
hesitated after setting it on the counter.
“You’re sure nothing’s wrong?”
Gift nodded. “Positive. I had a
wonderful time. A fabulous time. Thank you
for asking Carrie and me.”
He didn’t seem to believe her. “Did Leah and
Jamie hound you with questions?” he asked
for the second time that day, a pensive
frown on his face.
“Jason,” she murmured, resting her hands
on his forearms and gazing up at him. “I
meant it. Every word. This day with you and
your brothers and their families was one of
the happiest of my life. If I’m being
introspective it’s because…well, because I’ve
never realized until now how much I’ve
missed in life.” Jason’s questioning eyes
sought hers, as if he wasn’t sure he
understood.
She managed to meet his eyes. She felt close
to Jason just then, closer than she had to
anyone, and that confused her. She was
falling in love with this man and that was
something she couldn’t allow. Was it Jason
she loved, or his family?

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by EvaJael(f): 7:06pm On May 20, 2017
I love this type of family with fun all d way...still with u ma'am. Mention me in next update
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:08pm On May 20, 2017
“Gift, look at me.” She ignored the request. “I was an only child, too,” she told him, “like Carrie.” She wanted to explain. “There were never outings that included aunts and uncles or cousins.

This is a new experience for Carrie and me.” “Look at me,” he said again, his voice low and commanding.

Slowly her gaze traveled the length of him, up his chest, over the width of his shoulders, to his eyes. She stared into them and felt a sudden sense of connection.

It was a powerful sensation, powerful and exciting. “Where’s Carrie?” Jason asked, glancing over his shoulder.

“She’s on the phone in her room. Why?” “Because I’m going to kiss you.” Gift’s heart tripped into double time.

She was tempted to make some excuse, anything that would put an end to the craziness that overcame her with Jason, but she didn’t trust her voice, let alone her heart. Whatever she might’ve said was never meant to be. Jason’s kiss saw to that.

He gathered her in his arms, and lowered his mouth to hers. His lips were there, warm and moist, reminding her of sunshine. The kiss was chaste, yet curiously sensual. Of her own accord she deepened their kiss. Jason responded quickly.

He moaned, or perhaps it was her own voice making those soft sounds. She melted into him, her body responding instinctively, naturally, to his. “Gift.” He brought her even closer, and their kiss went on and on. She grew hot, and hotter, then hotter still…until… “No more…” she cried, breaking away, panting. “Please…no more.” Jason trembled with restraint, closing his eyes. “You’re right,” he murmured. “Carrie’s in the other room.” “Carrie,” Gift repeated, grateful for the excuse.

Jason drew in several deep breaths, then said, “I should be leaving.” Gift nodded, but she didn’t want him to go. Her body was on fire. She wondered if he was experiencing the same kind of torment himself—and if he was angry with her for sending him away.

“Would you like to come with me again next Saturday?” The question was offhanded, as though he’d just thought of it. Gift’s heart soared at the prospect.

''if you’re sure you want me.” Laughter leapt into his eyes, melding with the fire that was already there. “Trust me, Gift, I want you.” With that, he was out the door. No sooner had Jason left than Carrie appeared in the kitchen. “Did Jason leave?” Gift nodded, too preoccupied to answer outright. She was trembling, and all because of a few words. He wanted her.

He’d been honest and forthright as she’d come to expect.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:08pm On May 20, 2017
“Gift, look at me.” She ignored the request. “I was an only child, too,” she told him, “like Carrie.” She wanted to explain. “There were never outings that included aunts and uncles or cousins.

This is a new experience for Carrie and me.” “Look at me,” he said again, his voice low and commanding.

Slowly her gaze traveled the length of him, up his chest, over the width of his shoulders, to his eyes. She stared into them and felt a sudden sense of connection.

It was a powerful sensation, powerful and exciting. “Where’s Carrie?” Jason asked, glancing over his shoulder.

“She’s on the phone in her room. Why?” “Because I’m going to kiss you.” Gift’s heart tripped into double time.

She was tempted to make some excuse, anything that would put an end to the craziness that overcame her with Jason, but she didn’t trust her voice, let alone her heart. Whatever she might’ve said was never meant to be. Jason’s kiss saw to that.

He gathered her in his arms, and lowered his mouth to hers. His lips were there, warm and moist, reminding her of sunshine. The kiss was chaste, yet curiously sensual. Of her own accord she deepened their kiss. Jason responded quickly.

He moaned, or perhaps it was her own voice making those soft sounds. She melted into him, her body responding instinctively, naturally, to his. “Gift.” He brought her even closer, and their kiss went on and on. She grew hot, and hotter, then hotter still…until… “No more…” she cried, breaking away, panting. “Please…no more.” Jason trembled with restraint, closing his eyes. “You’re right,” he murmured. “Carrie’s in the other room.” “Carrie,” Gift repeated, grateful for the excuse.

Jason drew in several deep breaths, then said, “I should be leaving.” Gift nodded, but she didn’t want him to go. Her body was on fire. She wondered if he was experiencing the same kind of torment himself—and if he was angry with her for sending him away.

“Would you like to come with me again next Saturday?” The question was offhanded, as though he’d just thought of it. Gift’s heart soared at the prospect.

''if you’re sure you want me.” Laughter leapt into his eyes, melding with the fire that was already there. “Trust me, Gift, I want you.” With that, he was out the door. No sooner had Jason left than Carrie appeared in the kitchen. “Did Jason leave?” Gift nodded, too preoccupied to answer outright. She was trembling, and all because of a few words. He wanted her.

He’d been honest and forthright as she’d come to expect.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:18pm On May 20, 2017
“Mom, we need to talk.” “Go ahead,” Gift said, as she unloaded the picnic basket. There was surprisingly little food left over. Ryan and Ronnie had discovered her chocolate chip cookies, thanks to Jason, and the three dozen she’d brought had disappeared in no time. She’d set out the fresh fruit-and-cheese platter and that had disappeared, too. There were a couple of sandwiches still wrapped, but they’d keep for her and Carrie to eat the following day.

“It’s about the ninth-grade dance,” Carrie said stiffly from behind her. Gift froze. This wasn’t a subject she wanted to discuss, not again. “I’ve said everything I’m going to say about it, Carrie.

The subject is closed.”

“I hope you realize you’re ruining my entire life,” Carrie announced theatrically.

“Dropping you off at the dance and picking you up myself is a reasonable compromise, I think.”

“Then you think wrong. I’d…rather walk to school naked than have you drive me to the dance as if…as if there wasn’t a single boy in the entire class who wanted to be seen with me.”

She sighed. “I’ll be happy to pick up Brad, too, if that’ll help.” That was more than she was really in favor of, but she supposed she could live with it.

“Then everyone will think I asked Brad to the dance. I mean, I know girls do that, but it’s important to me that a certain girl find out that Brad asked me. How can you do this, Mom? Can’t you see how important this is?” Her eyes were imploring, a look designed to melt any mother’s heart.

Gift steeled herself. “You’re too young, Carrie, and that’s the end of it.”

“You don’t understand what you’re doing to me!” Carried wailed.

“The subject is closed.”

“Fine, ruin my life. See if I care.” She stalked out of the kitchen, arms swinging. With a heavy sigh, Gift watched her go. This argument was getting old. She’d been under the impression that her daughter had accepted her decision. But now it was apparent Carrie had only been regrouping, altering her tactics. Cool reason had evolved into implied guilt. Her fifteen-year-old made

it sound as though Gift had done untold psychological damage by not letting her go on an actual date. Well, so be it, Gift decided. This issue was one she didn’t intend to back down on any more than she already had. Pulling out a kitchen chair, Gift sank tiredly into it, resting her face in her hands.

She sighed again. She had trouble enough raising one child; she was insane to even contemplate having another.

A baby. But she did want another child, so badly she ached with it. Holding Jeremy, Jamie and Rich’s little boy, had stirred to life a craving buried deep within her heart. She attempted to push the desire away, rebury it, anything but acknowledge it. She’d had to repress this desire several times over the years. A baby now was out of the question, she stubbornly reminded herself. She was too old; there were dangers for a woman on the other side of thirty-five. But age was the least of her concerns.

Getting pregnant required a man. Even more problematic, it required making love. The sadness that weighed down Gift’s heart felt impossible to carry alone. Tears blurred her eyes. If ever there was a man she could love, it was Jason Manning. But the thought of falling in love again terrified her. Gift was afraid of love.

Afraid of all the feelings and desires Jason had stirred to life. He was wonderful. His family was wonderful. But it was a painful kind of wonderful, taunting her with all that was never meant to be in her life.

2 Likes

Re: Bride To Be by LitQueen(f): 7:39pm On May 20, 2017
I really like this story but what I like the most is that at the beginning there were suggestions about improving punctuation and other things, and you have really improved on them. Good work.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:40pm On May 20, 2017
Gift had dealt with her share of problems. Finances. Isolation. Low self- esteem. Everything had been a struggle for her. She didn’t know how to react to wonderful.

For the first time since her divorce, Gift felt the protective walls she’d erected around her heart being threatened. Those barriers were fortified by years of disappointment, years of resentment and pain. Now they seemed to be crumbling and all because of a man she’d never even seen without a baseball cap. For now, Jason was attracted to her, but in her heart she believed his interest in her wouldn’t last. It couldn’t. The time was fast approaching when she wouldn’t be able to put him off, and he’d know. That very afternoon, she’d seen the way he’d trembled in an effort to restrain himself. She’d watched as he’d closed his eyes and drawn in several deep breaths. Soon kissing wouldn’t be enough for him. Soon he’d discover how inadequate she was when it came to making love.

She had never satisfied Tom, no matter how hard she’d tried. In the end he’d taunted her, claiming the day would come when she’d realize all the ugly things he’d said about her were true. She didn’t have what it took to satisfy a man. When Jason learned that, he’d start to make excuses not to see her again. He’d regret ever having met her, and worse, he’d regret having introduced her to his family. She never should’ve accepted his invitation. It would make everything so much more awkward later…. The tears slipped from her eyes before she was aware she was crying. The soul-deep insecurity, awakened by the memories of her marriage, returned to haunt her. The doubts, the fear and dread, were back, taking up residence in her mind. Covering her face with her hands, Gift swallowed the sobs beginning to spill out in huge swells of emotion. In an effort to gain control, she held her breath so long her lungs ached.

She heard her ex-husband’s words—you aren’t woman enough—inflicting injury all over again until she covered her ears and closed her eyes, wanting to blot them out forever. Why should Jason fall in love with her when the world was full of whole, sexual women who’d gladly satisfy his needs? Passionate women who’d blossom in his arms and sigh with pleasure and fulfillment. She was incapable of giving a man what he needed.

Tom had repeatedly told her so. She was inept as a woman, inept at lovemaking. “Mom,” Carrie said coolly from behind her. “I’m going to Amanda’s house.” She waited as though she expected Gift to object. Gift nodded, then stood and resumed unpacking the picnic basket, not wanting

Carrie to see her tears. “Okay, honey. Just don’t be late.”

“I may never come home again,” Carrie said dramatically.

“Dinner’s at six.”

“All right,” Carrie muttered and walked out the door. It wasn’t until later, much later, while she was in bed finding it impossible to sleep, that Gift’s thoughts returned to Jason.

She’d allowed things to go further than she should have. It was a mistake. One she had to correct at the earliest possible moment. She must’ve been crazy to let their relationship reach this point. Crazy or desperate? Gift didn’t know which. It had all started weeks earlier when she’d held a friend’s baby. Funny how she could remember the precise moment with such accuracy. The longing for a child had escalated within her, gaining momentum, refusing to be ignored. She’d gone home and wept and although the tears had finally dried, inside she hadn’t stopped weeping. Shortly after the incident with Kathy Crenshaw and her baby, Gift had met Jason. He’d kissed her that first night and it had been…She hadn’t tensed or frozen up and that had given her hope. Her confidence continued to grow when he kissed her again and again; he’d always been gentle and undemanding. He was special that way, and she’d be forever grateful for the uncanny gift he had of understanding her needs.

But Jason was a man of raw sensuality. He wouldn’t be satisfied with a few chaste kisses for much longer. He had no idea how terrified she was of him, of any man. No, it was only a matter of time before the best thing that had happened to her in years came abruptly to an end. On Sunday, Jason wasn’t in the mood to cook. Microwave popcorn for dinner suited him better than a frozen entrée. He popped a batch and sat down in front of the television to watch a bowling tournament. Not his favorite sport, but there wasn’t much to choose from. When his phone rang, he stood on the sofa and reached across to grab it from the kitchen counter. He was half hoping it was Gift. It wasn’t.

“Jase, I don’t suppose you’ve got Gift’s phone number, do you?” Paul asked cordially enough, only Jason wasn’t fooled. As the oldest, his brother sometimes got the notion that he needed to oversee family matters. That didn’t include Gift
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 7:42pm On May 20, 2017
LitQueen:
I really like this story but what I like the most is that at the beginning there were suggestions about improving punctuation and other things, and you have really improved on them. Good work.

Thanks a much dear
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:01pm On May 20, 2017
“Jase?”
Of course he had Gift’s number. “Yeah.
What do you want it for?” Suspicions
multiplied in his brain. Being a newspaper
reporter, Paul was used to getting
information out of people.

“Don’t get all bent out of shape, little
brother. Leah and I want to go to a movie.”
“So?”
“So, we’d like Carrie to babysit. She was a
real hit with the boys yesterday. You don’t
mind, do you? The girl’s a natural with kids.”
“Of course I don’t mind.” The fact was, Jason
felt downright pleased. If Paul and Leah
wanted Carrie to babysit, then Gift
would be at home alone. He could come up
with an excuse—Higgins would do—and
casually drop in on her.

They needed to talk, and the sooner the
better, although it wasn’t talking that
interested him.

He tossed what remained of his popcorn in
the garbage, brushed his teeth and shaved.
He even slapped on some cologne. He wasn’t
accustomed to using anything more than
aftershave, but this evening was an
exception.

He was whistling when he’d finished, his
spirits high.
On the pretense of asking about next
Saturday’s ball game, he phoned his brother
to be certain Paul had managed to get hold
of Carrie. He had. In fact, he’d be picking her
up in the next half hour. Allowing ten
minutes for Paul to whisk Carrie out of the
apartment, that left him with forty minutes
to kill.

Forty minutes would go fast, Jason mused,
as he sat back down and turned on the TV.
But his mind wasn’t on the bowling match.

A far more intriguing match was playing in
his mind. One between Gift and him.
Tonight was the night, he decided,
determined to take Gift beyond the
kissing stage. He didn’t mean to be
calculating and devious about it…Well, yes,
he did, Jason thought with a grin.

He’d be gentle with her, he promised
himself. Patient and reassuring. For years
he’d been treating terrified animals. One
stubborn woman shouldn’t be any more
difficult. He had no intention of pressuring
her into anything. Nor would he coerce her
if she was at all uncomfortable. He’d lead
into lovemaking naturally, spontaneously.

He glanced at his watch, eager now, and
was disappointed to see that only ten
minutes had passed. Half an hour wasn’t
really very long, but it seemed to feel that
way to Jason.
“I’m leaving now, Mom,” Carrie called out.
Gift walked out of the kitchen, drying
her hands on a terry-cloth towel. She smiled
at Paul, then looked at her daughter. “Do
you know what time you’ll be home?”
“Before ten. Don’t worry, I know it’s a school
night.”
“I’ll have her back closer to nine,” Paul
assured Gift.
“Okay.” She nodded. “Have fun.”
“I will,” Carrie said as they left, offering her
first smile of the day. Actually, Gift had
been talking to Paul, but she let it pass.
Carrie was still upset about the school dance
and had been cool toward Gift all
afternoon.

Gift had just settled down with a book
when there was a knock at the door. Please,
God, don’t let it be Jason, she prayed, but
apparently God was occupied elsewhere.
Just as she’d feared, she opened the door
and came face-to-face with Jason, boyishly
handsome in his baseball cap.

“Hi,” he said, charming her with his smile. It
wasn’t fair that a man should be able to
wreak such havoc on a woman’s heart with
a mere movement of the lips.

“Hello.” She’d been dreading this moment all
day. “I was going to phone you later.” A
slight exaggeration; she’d been planning to
delay calling for as long as possible. “Oh?”

“Yes…I won’t be able to go to the ball game
with you next Saturday after all.”

“Don’t worry about it,” he said, making
himself comfortable on her sofa. He
anchored his ankle on the opposite knee
and grinned up at her. “There’ll be plenty of
other Saturdays. The summer is filled with
Saturdays.”
It was awkward for her to be standing,
while he seemed completely at home. So
Gift sat, too—as far away from him as
she could while still being on the same sofa.
She angled her legs sideways, her hands
clasped. “I’m afraid I won’t be able to make
it any other Saturday, either.”
A pause followed her announcement. “Why
not?”

“I…I…” She couldn’t look at him. “I don’t
think it’s a good idea for us to see each
other anymore.”
“Uh-huh.” He didn’t reveal his reactions one
way or another.
Emotion seemed to thicken the air. He might
not be saying anything, but he was feeling
it. Gift was, too.
“Is it something I said?”
She lowered her eyes farther and shook her
head.

“Something I did?”

“No…Oh, please, Jason, just accept this. Don’t
make it any more difficult than it already is.”

Her voice, which had remained steady until
then, cracked.

“Gift,” Jason said, moving next to her
with startling agility. “For heaven’s sake,
what’s wrong?”

She covered her mouth with one hand and
closed her eyes.

“I’m not leaving until you tell me,” he said.
“I can’t.”
“Why can’t you?”
“Because!”
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:04pm On May 20, 2017
bummybummy, Nnennazimzim
you're hearty welcome

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:14pm On May 20, 2017
“Because!” she cried, leaping to her feet.

“Everything would’ve been all right if you hadn’t been so…so nice.” She was angry now, unreasonably angry, and not quite sure why.

Jason stood, too, his gaze holding hers. “I’m not sorry I kissed you. Nothing would make me regret that.”

His words made it all so difficult. She wasn’t sorry, either.

Her expression must have told him as much. He relaxed visibly and reached for her, gently holding her shoulders. Slowly, he drew her forward. Gift had no resistance left, and walked right into his embrace.

She sobbed once, then hid her face in his chest and wept openly.

Jason stroked her hair and whispered reassurances in her ear, as if she were a small child needing comforting. In some ways, she was exactly that.

After several minutes he lifted her face upward to meet his mouth. Over and over again he kissed her, lightly, softly, gently. Her breathing grew shallow.

“Jason…” “Yes?” He raised his head, his eyes meeting hers.

“You’re doing it again.” His mouth curved into a deliberate smile. “I know.” Her hands were against his chest when he sought her mouth again. He was still gentle, but the kisses changed in texture and intensity. Their lips were fused together, the heat between them burning so fierce, she thought it might scorch her.

Gift found it difficult to breathe, but she didn’t care. Breathing wasn’t important. She held on, her hands clutching his upper arms. Jason led her back to the sofa, and without protest, Gift followed. He sat down and brought her into his lap.

He didn’t give her the opportunity to protest before he directed her lips back to his. When her mouth opened in exultant welcome, he moaned. He kissed her again and again, until she was panting. Until her heart seemed to stop beating. Until there was nothing in her world but him. His hands were opening the front of her blouse even before she realized his intent.

“Jason, no,” she said in a panic. “Please, no.”

“All right.” Jason twisted around and turned off the light. The room dimmed and shadows danced across the walls.

“Is this better?” he asked.

Gift clamped her eyes shut. “I…I’m not very good at this,” she whispered, close to tears. “I’m not…sexy enough.” The only thing that kept her from springing free of his hold was fear. It held her immobile.

“You’re beautiful,” he whispered. “Gift, do you hear me? You’re perfect.” She buried her hands in his hair. His cap was gone, but she didn’t remember when he’d removed it. Or if he had. She sighed.

He kissed her again, his mouth hard and hungry. Gift understood his hunger, but she wasn’t capable of satisfying it. “No,” she whispered when she could. “No?” How disappointed he sounded.

“No,” she said a second time.

“You’re sure of that?” he asked, sounding regretful.

“Y-yes.”

He nodded, kissed her once more, then inhaled sharply. “I just wanted to check.”
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:20pm On May 20, 2017
Chapter Seven

“Who told you that you aren’t sexy?” Jason asked, relaxing on her sofa. Gift’s hands stilled as she poured coffee into two mugs.

How do you expect a man to get excited when his wife’s such a cold fish? No wonder you’re a failure at lovemaking. Are you sure you’re even a woman? Gift’s heart reeled as Tom’s words returned to haunt her. She’d laid to rest as much of his vindictiveness as she could, bound her wounds and gone on with her life.

Pulling away the bandage, examining the damage now, just seemed pointless. “Gift?” he probed gently.

“My ex-husband,” she muttered.

“He’s wrong, you know.”

She nodded, rather than argue with Jason. For the moment he was infatuated with her, but his fascination wouldn’t last, and eventually he’d feel the same way as Tom.

“You never mention your ex-husband.” “There’s not much to say.” She carried the two mugs into the living room. “Carrie was excited about babysitting Paul and Leah’s children,” she said, pointedly changing the subject.

Jason stood and took a cup from her hands, then sat next to her on the sofa, sliding his arm around her shoulders. His touch was warm against her chilled skin. “You’re perfect,” he whispered and kissed her cheek. “You’re lovely and sensuous and beautiful. Don’t ever let anyone tell you differently. I’m not going to force you to discuss your marriage. Not now, but I want you to know I’ll be ready to listen whenever you’re ready to talk.”

She smiled wanly, determined to steer the conversation away from the past. Jason drank his coffee and left soon afterward, when it was apparent Gift wasn’t in the mood to talk. She wasn’t sure what her mood was, but she lacked the strength to analyze it. Before leaving,

Jason asked if she’d changed her mind again about the ball game on Saturday, and after a short hesitation, she nodded. Yes, she’d go, she told him. Jason smiled, obviously pleased, and headed out the door. Something was happening to her, Gift thought, trembling. And it was happening against her will.

She’d made the decision earlier—she wasn’t going to see him again. After careful deliberation she’d decided it was best to end everything now before one or both of them ended up hurt. It was a simple, cut- and-dried conclusion. Yet…yet when she’d tried to talk to him about it, regret and doubt had consumed her until she’d dissolved in tears and pain. Heaven help her, she didn’t want it to end!

Jason must’ve sensed that because he hadn’t appeared too concerned when she’d told him.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 8:24pm On May 20, 2017
ADUKKY
welcome abode
Re: Bride To Be by Adeyife(m): 8:55pm On May 20, 2017
More update.... Nice write up
Re: Bride To Be by ADUKKY(f): 8:57pm On May 20, 2017
Caught in the act. Lovely story you've got here, just be regular with the updates and soon you will have people flooding to read and voilà we are on front page.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:03pm On May 20, 2017
Adeyife:
More update.... Nice write up
Thanks, would try update later
Electricity isn't stable
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:04pm On May 20, 2017
ADUKKY:
Caught in the act. Lovely story you've got here, just be regular with the updates and soon you will have people flooding to read and voilà we are on front page.

lol..Thanks... And keen to ya Advice
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:11pm On May 20, 2017
His confidence was well-founded. Within minutes, he’d broken through her resolve and was kissing her senseless. And Gift hadn’t raised a single objection. It was too late. Too late to walk away from him.

Too late to go back to the way her life had been before Jason. She was trapped by her own weakness and would continue to be until Jason discovered the truth for himself.

Carrie arrived home soon afterward, full of tales about the twins and Kelsey. Seconds later, it seemed, she was in her room and on the phone. Her thoughts heavy,

Gift appreciated the privacy. It wasn’t as though this was the first time Jason had kissed her.

The impact he had on her senses wasn’t startling or new. The man had the uncanny knack of stirring awake the part of her she’d thought had died the day Tom asked for a divorce. She felt reborn, alive with hope. And yet she was more frightened than she’d ever been before. Everything was different with Jason. In his arms she experienced an excitement she’d never even known was possible. His tenderness, the loving gentle way in which he touched her, had given her cause to wonder, for the first time, if what Tom had said was true. What if it wasn’t? Could that be possible?

With Jason she felt none of the dread she’d felt when Tom had kissed her. His lovemaking had always been so hurried, so raw, as if he were in a rush to complete the act so he could turn away from her. She couldn’t imagine Jason being anything but compassionate and tender. But what if all the things Tom had said were true? Her heart slowed with uneasiness.

Jason Manning was an attractive, sensual man. A passionate man. And he’d expect— no, he’d need—a passionate woman.

Thinking of her years with Tom conjured up such ugly images in her mind. His taunts echoed like the constant sound of waves in a seashell, never stopping, never fading, always there to remind her of what a failure she was. At ten, Gift turned out the lights, made sure Carrie was off the phone and went to bed. She should’ve guessed that sleep would escape her that night.

You’re perfect, Jason had said. Only she wasn’t—Tom had made certain she knew as much. The need to weep welled up within her, tightening her throat.

She had loved Tom. She’d hated him. He had stripped her of her pride when he left. Her life had ended that day. Yet, in other ways, her life had begun.

She’d known for weeks, months, that Tom was involved with another woman, and she’d said nothing because she was afraid. Because she feared life alone. Because she was willing to do whatever she could to save her marriage, even if that meant denying the truth. So she’d chosen to believe his lies. When he’d forced her to face reality, he’d come at her in anger and guilt…and hate.

She hadn’t cried. Not a single tear, not even when the divorce was decreed final. It wasn’t until years later that she gave herself permission to grieve for the marriage, the fantasy she’d built in her mind of what might have been.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:17pm On May 20, 2017
In the beginning she’d been too numb with shock, too dazed by that last horrible scene, to experience any emotion. Gradually, as time passed, Gift began to feel again, a little at a time. It was like an anesthetic wearing off. As the years went by, as the numbness faded, she had to deal with the pain. A throbbing, savage pain.

Her grief came in waves. Regret struck first, reminding her of all the might-have-beens; one fantasy led to another. By now they would’ve had more children, she’d told herself. Tom would be established in his career and she’d be living the life she’d been cheated of as a child.

Anger followed regret. How could she have given her heart to a man who’d ravaged her self-respect? How could she have loved him when he’d treated her so poorly? But love him she had, so much that she still ached at losing the life she’d dreamed they’d share. But mostly, as the years went on, Gift felt an overwhelming sense of guilt. She knew it was unreasonable. After all, it was

Tom who’d cheated on her, Tom who’d walked out on his family, abandoned his wife and child. It was Tom who’d forsaken their vows. Yet she was the one who accepted responsibility. Sometimes the guilt was so overpowering, Gift found it intolerable. If she’d been a better wife, Tom wouldn’t have sought another woman. He’d said so himself. If she’d been more enticing, more sexual, more attractive, more satisfying, he wouldn’t have done it. She was too thin, too flat, too cold. The list was endless. After years of telling herself that Tom had used her inadequacies as an excuse for adultery, years of struggling to repair her self-esteem, Gift gave up. Surrendered. She bought it all. The reassurances she tried to offer herself were empty. Null and void.

Everything Tom had said was true. She was a failure as a woman. A failure as a wife. No man would ever be satisfied with her. Not for long. Tom hadn’t been and Jason wouldn’t be, either. She might as well accept that now and stop fighting the inevitable.

The doorbell chimed just as Jason finished reading the latest issue of one of the veterinary periodicals he subscribed to. “Yeah?” he said, opening the door, half expecting one of his tenants.

“Hi,” Carrie said, striding purposefully into his apartment. “Have you got a minute to talk?”
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:18pm On May 20, 2017
Nmaglit, pixzybee. Holuwanifemee pholaryemmie, welcome.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:26pm On May 20, 2017
“Sure.” Jason led the way into the living room and sat down. Carrie started to pace in front of his television, hands behind her back. Walking in his apartment was dangerous with the week’s worth of newspapers spread across the carpet.

“Is it Higgins?” he prompted, when she didn’t speak right away.

She shook her head, eyes lighting up.

“Higgins is doing great. He’s eating and everything. I think he likes it with Mom and me.”

“I’m sure he does.” They’d lavished the dog with love and attention from the moment

Jason had carried him into their apartment on Monday afternoon. One would’ve thought the mutt was some kind of hero. In a way he was, Jason decided. If it hadn’t been for the dog, Jason didn’t know how long it would have taken him and Gift to connect.

“What can I do for you?”

“It’s Mom,” Carrie said.

“What about your mother?” He saw that tears had pooled in Carrie’s eyes, and she wasn’t trying to hide the fact. Like most men, Jason was uncomfortable when a woman started to cry. No matter what the cause, he felt personally responsible. And he felt an overpowering urge to do whatever he could to rectify the problem. He certainly felt that way with Gift— even more so. She’d look at him with her beautiful blue eyes and the instant he saw the slightest hint of tears, he’d be putty in her hands. He was putty in her hands, anyway, tears or not, but that was because it was Gift.

“My mother’s ruining my life,” Carrie was saying.

Jason was no psychiatrist, but he wasn’t completely obtuse. “Does this have something to do with that dance?”

Carrie nodded. “There’s this boy…his name’s Brad. He’s the cutest boy in class and the star of the track team. Every girl in school’s crazy about him and he asked me. Me,” she emphasized again, bringing her hand to her heart. “He asked me to the ninth-grade dance. When I talked to Mom, she said I could go, but when I said Brad’s father was picking us up and…and driving us there, she went totally weird on me.”

“I’m sure your mother has a good reason for feeling the way she does.” “She won’t even talk about it.” “Carrie, listen. I’d like to help, but this is between you and your mother. I can’t interfere with a parenting decision.” Carrie nodded, her throat working as she struggled not to cry. “I don’t expect you to interfere…I was hoping that you’d help me —tell me what to say to make Mom understand how old-fashioned she’s being. I haven’t said anything to Brad about my mom not wanting me to be in the same car as him and his dad and…and the dance is next Friday night. There isn’t much time left.”
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:29pm On May 20, 2017
kennedith9,Rofiah476 welcome
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:35pm On May 20, 2017
Jason rubbed the side of his face.

“What’s your mother’s primary objection?”

“She thinks driving with him makes it a real date. And I’m not allowed to date until next year.”

“I see. What if she drove you and Brad to the dance?”

“That won’t work, either…. Everyone will think I asked him and…it might be silly, but I want Suzie Jennings to know otherwise.” She wiped her eyes and took a moment to regain her composure.

“How about if Brad’s dad drops you off and your mother picks the two of you up after the dance?” Carrie dropped her hands to her side. “Picks us up?” she repeated thoughtfully.

“It wouldn’t be considered a date then, would it? The two of you obviously need to be driven to and from the dance and this would simply be a means of transporting you.”

“There’s a party at Amanda Emerich’s house right afterward, but it’s directly across the street from the school and everyone’s invited.”

“I have an even better idea,” Jason said enthusiastically. At Carrie’s blank stare, he explained. “How about if your mother offered to chaperone the dance?” Judging by the look Carrie gave him, she didn’t share his enthusiasm. “That wouldn’t work because she’d need a date. Chaperones at our school dances are always couples.”

“I’ll go with her,” Jason said casually. As soon as he made the suggestion, he wanted to jerk it back. Him dancing? The last dance he’d attended had been his sister’s engagement party. He’d rented a tuxedo and been miserable most of the night. Before then, his only other experience on the dance floor had been as a high-school junior. He didn’t know how to dance then and he hadn’t learned since.

“You’d do that?” Carrie asked, her voice rising. For the first time since she’d entered his home, her eyes sparkled with hope.

“Ah…” Oh, what the heck, he’d do it if it would help the kid. “Sure,” he answered.

“I’d volunteer to be a chaperone.” Carrie let out a cry of glee and raced across the room to throw her arms around his neck.

“Your mother might not be willing—”

“She will,” Carrie said confidently.

''Mom’s crazy about you.”

“Yes, but will she be crazy about the idea of Brad’s dad driving you there and the two of us taking you home?” Carrie mulled that over for a moment. “Of course she will,” she said, revealing no doubt. “Why shouldn’t she be? It’s a wonderful compromise. We’ll both be satisfied…. I mean, this plan isn’t perfect— no one wants their mother chaperoning a school dance—but it’ll work because Mom’s going to agree when she knows you suggested it.”

Jason was suffering from second thoughts when he rang Gift’s doorbell an hour later. Carrie had devised a plan for approaching Gift with his idea. At the appropriate point, he was to suggest the two of them chaperone the dance and make it sound like a spur-of-the-moment idea.

1 Like

Re: Bride To Be by Nmaglit: 9:45pm On May 20, 2017
weldone Mhizgap nice work
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:53pm On May 20, 2017
Nmaglit:
weldone Mhizgap nice work
Thanks
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 9:54pm On May 20, 2017
Last update for tonight
Might not update tomorrow

probably Monday.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 10:15pm On May 20, 2017
KAssybabe, waze63, holufunmie, Rofiah476...welcome
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 10:16pm On May 20, 2017
odunayo1809(i see you)
Re: Bride To Be by bummybummy(f): 9:52am On May 21, 2017
i just love did carie girl, she z so smart and Gift should allow her to live her life jare
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 1:13pm On May 21, 2017
bummybummy:
i just love did carie girl, she z so smart and Gift should allow her to live her life jare

if shez ya daughter would allow her have a bf at 16
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 1:24pm On May 21, 2017
He was rather proud of his compromise— not the part about chaperoning the dance, but the shared-driving idea. By the time

Carrie had left his apartment, he felt like an expert. Raising children wasn’t so difficult if you applied a bit of common sense.

Now, though, he wasn’t entirely sure he should get involved. The dance was an issue between Gift and Carrie, and his instincts told him he was trespassing.

It would’ve been different if Gift had come to him for advice, but she hadn’t and he doubted she would. There wasn’t any reason for her to, at least not with regard to Carrie. Gift was the one with parenting experience, not him.

Despite his second thoughts over his role in this drama, he’d agreed to help Carrie—even though his instincts now told him he was going to regret this. Carrie answered the doorbell and smiled brightly when she saw him.

Gift looked pleased to see him, too, but she also looked like she’d rather not be.

Jason was learning to read her quite well, and that skill was coming in handy.

“Hello, Jason,” she said softly.

“Hi. I stopped by to see how Higgins is doing.” A weak excuse, and one she was bound to see through in the next couple of minutes.

The black dog trotted toward him, his tail wagging slowly. Jason squatted beside him and affectionately rubbed his ears.

“How do you like your new home, fellow?” he asked. “Do you want a cup of coffee?” Carrie called out from the kitchen. Her voice was enthusiastic. The kid wasn’t any better at disguising her emotions than her mother was. “Please.” Jason glanced up at Gift.

He didn’t know what was going on with her lately. She’d been avoiding him—that much he understood—but he was willing to give her the space she needed. For now. He was a patient man. She was attracted to him, fighting it as hard as she could, but her resistance wasn’t strong enough to defeat him. For the first time in his life, Jason had met a woman who needed him. Unfortunately she was too self-sufficient and proud to admit it.

Gift Weston brought out all his protective urges. And his intuition told him he’d begun to bring out qualities in her—a sensual confidence and an ability to laugh, have fun—that she’d been repressing for years.

The woman was a puzzle, but slowly, surely, he was putting together the various pieces she revealed. Once he had the whole picture, he’d be able to scale those defensive walls of hers.

He strongly suspected Gift’s problems revolved around her ex-husband and her marriage. She’d been badly hurt, and gaining her trust and her love would require time and patience. Where Gift was concerned, Jason had an abundant supply of both. Carrie brought him a cup of coffee, and Jason pulled out a kitchen chair, then nonchalantly sat down. Carrie did the same. Higgins ambled over and settled at his feet.
Re: Bride To Be by mhizgap(f): 1:32pm On May 21, 2017
Gift glanced at the two of them and frowned. “Is something going on here that I should know about?”

The kid couldn’t have been more obvious, Jason mused again. “Carrie came to me earlier this afternoon,” he announced, deciding honesty was the best policy, after all. The way he figured, if they were forthright about what they’d discussed, then

Gift might be willing to forgive them for discussing it behind her back.

“Jason,” Carrie muttered a warning under her breath.

“Carrie came to you?” Gift demanded.

“About what?”

“The dance,” Carrie admitted sheepishly.

“You went to Jason about an issue that’s strictly between you and me?”

“I needed to talk to someone,” Carrie cried, pushing back the chair when she stood. She faced her mother, feet braced apart, hands on her hips. “You’re being completely unreasonable and Jason agrees with me. He came up with—”

“Carrie.” Jason could see he’d been wrong. In this case, honesty might not have been the best policy. “I didn’t ever say I thought your mother was unreasonable.” His defense came too late. Gift whirled on him, her face red and growing redder.

Her eyes, the eyes he’d always found so intriguing, were filled with disdain.

“Who gave you the right to intrude in my life?” she flared.

“Gift, it’s not what you think.” Jason could feel himself sinking waist-deep in the quicksand of regret.

“You’re undermining my authority.”

“Mom…please, hear me out.”

“Gift, give me a chance to explain.” Jason didn’t have much of an argument; he should’ve listened to his instincts and stayed out of this.

“You may think because…because I’ve let you get close to Carrie and me that you have the right to express your opinion on how she should be raised, but you’re wrong. What goes on between my daughter and me is none of your business. Do I make myself clear?” Feeling all the more chagrined, Jason nodded. The best thing to do now was make a hasty retreat. “I can see I’ve—”

“Just go.” Gift’s voice trembled as she pointed to her door.

“Mom,” Carrie shouted. “The least you can do is listen to him.” Gift ignored her daughter while Jason, calling himself every kind of fool, made his way out of the apartment. He paused long enough to cast an apologetic glance at Carrie, but he agreed with Gift. He’d butted in where he didn’t belong. After Jason’s departure, Carrie went to her room, slamming her door with such force

Higgins scrambled across the living room, frantically looking for a place to hide.

Gift was so angry, it was all she could do not to follow Jason and tell him she never wanted to see him again. She would have done it, too, if she didn’t know she’d regret it later. And if she didn’t need to coax

Higgins out from behind the couch and comfort him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Barrack Boy / How To Speak And Write English With Good Diction / The Teacher (home-coming) +18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.