Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,804 members, 7,806,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear (51144 Views)

What Will You Say If The Interviewer Says "You Have 10 Minutes To Impress Me? / When The Interviewer Asks You If YOU Have Any Questions For THEM / Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by zazawaga(m): 11:57am On Apr 26, 2017
Simple Ways to Answer Tricky Interview Questions

A couple of years ago, my idea of a job interview was being in front of a hard, unsmiling panel and having extremely difficult questions thrown at me, like rocks. However, when I got invited for my first interview, I realized this is not always the case.

A job interview does not have to be tense. In fact, you may find yourself with a very friendly panel, who will go all out to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

However, irrespective of the size and manner of the panel you are faced with, what is required of you is confidence and of course, the appropriate answers to every question you are asked. This part is what’s tricky.

So, in this post, we’d be looking at the simple ways to answer 5 tricky questions you are likely to get in your job interview.

1. Tell Me About Yourself.

This question seems very straightforward. Usually, the first you’d be asked in an interview. However, it is tricky because though it sounds like an invitation to tell your life story, it is not.

When asked the ‘tell me about yourself’ question, what the hiring panel is actually asking you is to tell them about yourself, as it pertains to the position you are applying for.

With this in mind, you should not begin to share generic information about yourself, your family or how many siblings you have. Rather, you could start with your name, academic qualifications, present skills and strengths, previous experiences as well as future professional aspirations. You should also feel free to ask the interviewers for clarifications, just in case there are specific information they’d like to hear about.

Take this for instance:

Question: Tell us a bit about yourself.

Wrong Answer: Hmmn, where do I start? My name is Oluwaseun. I was born in the late 80s and currently married with 6 kids. …

Right Answer: My name is Oluwaseun, a second-year master’s student of marketing communications at the Lagos Business School. Prior to pursing this degree, I worked with the marketing and communications department at Shell, where I developed and honed my skills in copywriting and digital marketing. This experience really piqued my interest in this field and I look forward to an opportunity to learn more and contribute to your marketing communications department…

2. Where do you See Yourself in Five Years?

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to say everything you see yourself doing in five years and completely miss the mark. Like the first question, your answer should be much more professional than personal. What the hiring panel really wants to know is if you are going to stick with them and if you are worth the investment of training.

To answer this question, you could tell them how you think the job will provide you with so many opportunities, such that in 5 years, you'd be in a particular position within the organisation. You can also explain what value you hope to have added as well as how you could also have improved yourself professionally in that time.

Take this for instance:

Question: Where do you see yourself in five years?

Wrong Answer: In five years, I’d be a millionaire, enjoying life. I’d have built a house and would probably be the CEO of this company …

Right answer: In five years, I hope to have acquired a lot of knowledge in marketing communications, as well as contributed immensely to the growth of my department and the company. I’m also looking forward to eventually taking on additional managerial responsibilities and possibly taking the lead on some projects…

3. What is your Greatest Weakness?

Like the first two, this question is also very tricky because you might be tempted to give personal, instead of professional answers.

When asked this question, what interviewers actually want to know is if or not you are consciously aware of the areas you could improve on. Your weakness does not have to be present. It could be something that you’ve already worked on, but say it anyway. I’d advise that you think about this question before the interview, so you don’t give a generic answer or be at a loss of what to say. No one would believe you if you say you have no weakness.

To answer this question, start by mentioning the weakness, how it poses a problem to your work or career and how you’ve started to work on improving.

Take this for instance:

Question: What is your greatest weakness?

Wrong answer: Hmmn, my greatest weakness is to sleep. I could sleep all day…

Right answer: I used to have to have a problem with time management and this affected me every time I tried to multitask. Currently, I’m working on this through the use of certain time management tools.

4. What did you Hate About your Last Job?

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to spill all the beans about why you hated your boss, the work, the timing - all of it! This is wrong, because as Kachi Tila-Adesina puts it, the interviewers might already begin to picture you sitting elsewhere and literally dragging their name and their organisation in the mud as well.’

To answer this question, start by saying how beneficial the job was, before going to state one or two things you could have changed, if given the opportunity. Also, explain why you think the role you are now applying for is a better fit.

If you did not hate your last job, you can say so. This response can also be adapted, just in case you are asked why you are leaving your current position.

Take this for instance:

Question: What did you hate about your last job?

Wrong answer: Ooh, my boss! I hated my boss! …

Right answer: Well, my last job did offer me an opportunity to learn and grow in my career. However, I think it would have been better if such opportunity was granted in a less hostile work environment... I believe that working here would not just give me a better opportunity to grow, but also a conducive and comfortable work environment, which is very important to growth.

5. How much are you looking to be paid?

Now, this question is tricky because well, money is involved and while you don’t want to short-change yourself, you wouldn’t want to price yourself out of range either!

I know money is very important but when asked this question, don’t jump at the opportunity to scream ‘one million naira!’ Instead, you should have done your research on the organisation you are coming into and how much is standard for the role you are applying for.

If you are aware of how much the company really wants to hire you, say because of your expertise and skills, you can negotiate your salary right there. However, if this is not the case, you’ll need to fall back on the information you’ve gathered on what the going rate is, for the position you’re being interviewed for. In the worst case scenarios, you can request to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits packages. You should also mention how you are willing to discuss further when the time is right.

Take this for instance:

Question: How much are you looking to be paid?

Wrong answer: I can’t take anything less than ‘One million naira’!

Right answer: That's a fair question. To answer it properly, I'd need to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits package. I am quite confident that knowing the reputation of the company, when the time comes, any offer you make will be competitive.”

Read also: 8 Insightful Questions Only the Smartest Candidates ask in a Job Interview

There you have it, the simple ways to answer tricky questions in your next job interview. Of course, there are quite a lot more tricky questions than I’ve listed. And while researching for this post, I found a couple of materials on tricky interview questions, which I think you’ll also find helpful. I’ve labelled them material 1, material 2, material 3 and material 4, respectively.

Finally, if you have any questions concerning job search, preparing for an interview or anything career-related, do feel free to ask.

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

https://discovery.insidify.com/dont-tell-the-interviewer-about-yourself-this-is-what-he-really-wants-to-hear

274 Likes 104 Shares

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by RealLordZeus(m): 12:01pm On Apr 26, 2017
Good one

5 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by johnsoay: 12:08pm On Apr 26, 2017
Nice one

3 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by johndwayy(m): 12:20pm On Apr 26, 2017
Thanks so much for this op... I've learnt something new today.

22 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by zazawaga(m): 12:28pm On Apr 26, 2017
johndwayy:
Thanks so much for this op... I've learnt something new today.

You are welcome,

6 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by okonja(m): 1:23pm On Apr 26, 2017
cool cool

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by flexxyworld(m): 1:30pm On Apr 26, 2017
The best I have read on NL in a while. will really help alot. Thanks

27 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by wunmi590(m): 1:51pm On Apr 26, 2017
Nice write up OP

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by IdeeEsperanza(m): 1:53pm On Apr 26, 2017
Thanks OP

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Razakipaye: 1:57pm On Apr 26, 2017
zazawaga:

A couple of years ago, my idea of a job interview was being in front of a hard, unsmiling panel and having extremely difficult questions thrown at me, like rocks. However, when I got invited for my first interview, I realized this is not always the case.

A job interview does not have to be tense. In fact, you may find yourself with a very friendly panel, who will go all out to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

However, irrespective of the size and manner of the panel you are faced with, what is required of you is confidence and of course, the appropriate answers to every question you are asked. This part is what’s tricky.

So, in this post, we’d be looking at the simple ways to answer 5 tricky questions you are likely to get in your job interview.

This question seems very straightforward. Usually, the first you’d be asked in an interview. However, it is tricky because though it sounds like an invitation to tell your life story, it is not.

When asked the ‘tell me about yourself’ question, what the hiring panel is actually asking you is to tell them about yourself, as it pertains to the position you are applying for.

With this in mind, you should not begin to share generic information about yourself, your family or how many siblings you have. Rather, you could start with your name, academic qualifications, present skills and strengths, previous experiences as well as future professional aspirations. You should also feel free to ask the interviewers for clarifications, just in case there are specific information they’d like to hear about.

Take this for instance:

Wrong Answer: Hmmn, where do I start? My name is Oluwaseun. I was born in the late 80s and currently married with 6 kids. …

Right Answer: My name is Oluwaseun, a second-year master’s student of marketing communications at the Lagos Business School. Prior to pursing this degree, I worked with the marketing and communications department at Shell, where I developed and honed my skills in copywriting and digital marketing. This experience really piqued my interest in this field and I look forward to an opportunity to learn more and contribute to your marketing communications department…

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to say everything you see yourself doing in five years and completely miss the mark. Like the first question, your answer should be much more professional than personal. What the hiring panel really wants to know is if you are going to stick with them and if you are worth the investment of training.

To answer this question, you could tell them how you think the job will provide you with so many opportunities, such that in 5 years, you'd be in a particular position within the organisation. You can also explain what value you hope to have added as well as how you could also have improved yourself professionally in that time.

Take this for instance:

Wrong Answer: In five years, I’d be a millionaire, enjoying life. I’d have built a house and would probably be the CEO of this company …

Right answer: In five years, I hope to have acquired a lot of knowledge in marketing communications, as well as contributed immensely to the growth of my department and the company. I’m also looking forward to eventually taking on additional managerial responsibilities and possibly taking the lead on some projects…

Like the first two, this question is also very tricky because you might be tempted to give personal, instead of professional answers.

When asked this question, what interviewers actually want to know is if or not you are consciously aware of the areas you could improve on. Your weakness does not have to be present. It could be something that you’ve already worked on, but say it anyway. I’d advise that you think about this question before the interview, so you don’t give a generic answer or be at a loss of what to say. No one would believe you if you say you have no weakness.

To answer this question, start by mentioning the weakness, how it poses a problem to your work or career and how you’ve started to work on improving.

Take this for instance:

Right answer: I used to have to have a problem with time management and this affected me every time I tried to multitask. Currently, I’m working on this through the use of certain time management tools.

This question is tricky because you might be tempted to spill all the beans about why you hated your boss, the work, the timing - all of it! This is wrong, because as Kachi Tila-Adesina puts it, the interviewers might already begin to picture you sitting elsewhere and literally dragging their name and their organisation in the mud as well.’

To answer this question, start by saying how beneficial the job was, before going to state one or two things you could have changed, if given the opportunity. Also, explain why you think the role you are now applying for is a better fit.

If you did not hate your last job, you can say so. This response can also be adapted, just in case you are asked why you are leaving your current position.

Take this for instance:

Right answer: Well, my last job did offer me an opportunity to learn and grow in my career. However, I think it would have been better if such opportunity was granted in a less hostile work environment... I believe that working here would not just give me a better opportunity to grow, but also a conducive and comfortable work environment, which is very important to growth.

Now, this question is tricky because well, money is involved and while you don’t want to short-change yourself, you wouldn’t want to price yourself out of range either!

I know money is very important but when asked this question, don’t jump at the opportunity to scream ‘one million naira!’ Instead, you should have done your research on the organisation you are coming into and how much is standard for the role you are applying for.

If you are aware of how much the company really wants to hire you, say because of your expertise and skills, you can negotiate your salary right there. However, if this is not the case, you’ll need to fall back on the information you’ve gathered on what the going rate is, for the position you’re being interviewed for. In the worst case scenarios, you can request to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits packages. You should also mention how you are willing to discuss further when the time is right.

Take this for instance:

Right answer: That's a fair question. To answer it properly, I'd need to know more about the role’s responsibilities and benefits package. I am quite confident that knowing the reputation of the company, when the time comes, any offer you make will be competitive.”

Read also: 8 Insightful Questions Only the Smartest Candidates ask in a Job Interview

There you have it, the simple ways to answer tricky questions in your next job interview. Of course, there are quite a lot more tricky questions than I’ve listed. And while researching for this post, I found a couple of materials on tricky interview questions, which I think you’ll also find helpful. I’ve labelled them material 1, material 2, material 3 and material 4, respectively.

Finally, if you have any questions concerning job search, preparing for an interview or anything career-related, do feel free to ask.

https://discovery.insidify.com/dont-tell-the-interviewer-about-yourself-this-is-what-he-really-wants-to-hear
pls help answer dis question. were do u see d company in 10years time

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by zazawaga(m): 2:22pm On Apr 26, 2017
moderators, push this to front page, people need this. Thanks
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by irepnaija4eva(m): 2:28pm On Apr 26, 2017
Wow very insight and knowledgeble.

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Adebowale89(m): 2:31pm On Apr 26, 2017
very informative and educative. nice one Op

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by azodo1991(m): 2:52pm On Apr 26, 2017
nice one.u ar a blessing

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by 2baga(m): 2:57pm On Apr 26, 2017
I'm so stealing these gems grin grin grin

zazawaga:

Take this for instance:

Take this for instance:

Take this for instance:

Take this for instance:

Take this for instance:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by apollo13(m): 3:38pm On Apr 26, 2017
God bless you for this

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by vinotinto5: 3:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
HOW TO NATURALLY REVERSE DIABETES, GET BACK TO NORMAL & LIVE A DIABETIC FREE LIFE

How to Naturally Reverse Diabetes, Get Back to Normal & Live a Diabetic Free Live; “Alarm bells are ringing. The CDC estimates that one third of all Americans will develop diabetes and will live 15 years less and lose quality of life. No public health problem compares in scale.” – Dr. Mehmet Oz.

To get Details, visit https://naturesgist.com/2017/01/27/naturally-reverse-diabetes-get-back-normal-live-diabetic-free-live/

For your best health comprehensive information Check out https://naturesgist.com . It is widely sourced and detailed.

Dont miss this best health website in Nigeria.
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 26, 2017
Very helpful

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by karlzeez: 4:47pm On Apr 26, 2017
How do I get d material 1,2,3 n 4

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by master69(m): 5:27pm On Apr 26, 2017
making sense bro......really educating

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 26, 2017
is it just me or are interviews overrated?
I mean what is all this for a simple job of a graduate assistance which I believe they should testing your skills as regard the job in question since you have no relevant experience

4 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by zazawaga(m): 6:09pm On Apr 26, 2017
karlzeez:
How do I get d material 1,2,3 n 4
go to the link below the article thanks
Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by hardbody: 8:21pm On Apr 26, 2017
zazawaga:

Take this for instance:

Take this for instance:

Take this for instance:

Take this for instance:

Take this for instance:

This looks good but on the question on weakness, standard best practice is to turn it to a strength. For instance, i tend to be a bit more meticulous than usual, while it has seemed to slow some deliverables, it has turned out to save the companies I have worked for some embarrassing errors and saved us litigations and loss of huge sums in payouts based on damages that would have been paid.

Generally the post is fair.

7 Likes

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by SirKriz(m): 8:27pm On Apr 26, 2017
OP, God bless you for this.

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by kheart(m): 9:13pm On Apr 26, 2017
Good

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by leewin(m): 9:46pm On Apr 26, 2017
very educative

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by ammyluv2002(f): 10:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
Wow! I love this! Thanks Op

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by dami2boi(m): 11:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
Fantastic

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by jericco1(m): 1:51am On Apr 27, 2017
Insightful

1 Like

Re: Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear by zazawaga(m): 3:30am On Apr 27, 2017
mynd44 , lalasticlala do the needful please, Nigerians need to be enlightened.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pls Can Some One Help Me With A Sample Of A Recent Standard CV. / Phillips Consulting Limited Is Recruiting -54 Positions / Apply for 2018 MSc and PhD Commonwealth Scholarship In The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.