Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,092 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents (28550 Views)

How To Access The N50billion CBN COVID-19 Loan / How I Recieved An Instant Loan Of Over N1m Without Going To The Bank / Reject Dirty Naira Notes From The Bank- CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by leeyongcho(m): 6:22pm On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:
Care to give details about the contents of the letter of administration. Is hiring a lawyer a must? No issues about consent of siblings/children. Also, how fast is the process. He is also the next of kin.

The process is about 3 months or thereabouts I don't think next of kin matters. It's not important to get a lawyer also.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 26, 2017
Benekruku:

Your statement tells me you will be a good ingredient for money rituals!

r u a ritualists or cannibal bro? my biology teacher said I shud get one
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by sirusX(m): 6:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
iamKahlan:
my brother, same thing applies to me. My dad has accounts with ECO,UBA and Union bank. Dont waste your time processing the money. corruption has eaten deep into Nigeria more than how we are seeing it. The banks will not be happy if anyone shows up to claim an account that the owner has died. even when you get to the court, they will still probe you especially in monetary terms e.g if you want it processed btw a month- 50k.... 6 months -25k. They will frustrate your life in the bank also. you will walk and walk under the hot sun. they can even ask you to go and dig your dad's grave and bring his thumbprint..... at the end of the day, you would be persuaded to leave the money to GOD. No ordinary Citizen can withdraw from such account. you have got to have some connections BRO.! And to make matters worse, i heard in the news last Month that the federal Government will soon start to gather All the money in Inactive accounts in all banks!

just forget about it
This is bad as a nation...where they are meant to help, they bring more frustration

1 Like

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Larrykaysail(m): 6:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:

Care to give details about the contents of the letter of administration.
Is hiring a lawyer a must?
No issues about consent of siblings/children.
Also, how fast is the process.
He is also the next of kin.
it will take little time, i have assisted someone on NL on this before , but try to confirm the balance in the account if the stress worth it, you can credit the account and get SMS alert. before you proceed.

4 Likes

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Myself2(m): 6:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:

No wonder dem say you dey like free things,,,,,,,,,just get a lawyer,he will tidy up everything for you and you WILL PAY his fee
And yes it's a must you hire a lawyer,a I na you wan go file application for high court by yoursef ?

1 Like

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:27pm On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:

The funds is quite substantial (worth fighting for).
He also has details of the account balance.
Thanks once again.
Thank God,he/she should not fight,but plan on how to reproduce for future generation. And if for example the funds is 10 million, state collects 1 million. Hence at the end of the matter the collection will be still 10million,if he pays from personal pocket,except bank agrees that they will release the 10% for payment. All the best & advice him/her to plan well. God Bless

2 Likes

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Benekruku(m): 6:27pm On Apr 26, 2017
Eaa247:

r u a ritualists or cannibal bro? my biology teacher said I shud get one

send me an email

But please note that service is not free
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by djeezy(m): 6:29pm On Apr 26, 2017
excelsiorfarm:
definitely the next of kin should do the processing
I'm a lawyer so I will help you out with a few tips. Firstly ensure you are the next of kin. Get a report ie death certificate because you will be needing it to get letter of administration. You will need a lawyer for one, so get one. After you are granted probate, you can approach your bank by way of application or they can give you a form to fill annexed to it the death certificate of the deceased and grant of probate. Already their record shows you are the next of kin, some mode identification and certification will suffice in that regard. Goodluck. cc: Fergusen
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Myself2(m): 6:30pm On Apr 26, 2017
iamKahlan:
my brother, same thing applies to me. My dad has accounts with ECO,UBA and Union bank. Dont waste your time processing the money. corruption has eaten deep into Nigeria more than how we are seeing it. The banks will not be happy if anyone shows up to claim an account that the owner has died. even when you get to the court, they will still probe you especially in monetary terms e.g if you want it processed btw a month- 50k.... 6 months -25k. They will frustrate your life in the bank also. you will walk and walk under the hot sun. they can even ask you to go and dig your dad's grave and bring his thumbprint..... at the end of the day, you would be persuaded to leave the money to GOD. No ordinary Citizen can withdraw from such account. you have got to have some connections BRO.! And to make matters worse, i heard in the news last Month that the federal Government will soon start to gather All the money in Inactive accounts in all banks!

just forget about it

I disagree with you man.
If he is listed as the next of kin or a beneficiary of the account,he will surely get the money

2 Likes

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by fergusen: 6:33pm On Apr 26, 2017
leeyongcho:

The process is about 3 months or thereabouts
I don't think next of kin matters. It's not important to get a lawyer also.
Thanks
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by YOUNGKAHUNA: 6:34pm On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:

Thanks
you welcome
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by jbcul4ril(m): 6:36pm On Apr 26, 2017
You need to be the next of kin before approaching a court for letter of administration. The has the right to turn down the letter if you are not the next of kin presented before his demise.
If the next of kin is a minor, the mother is advisable to accompany the minor as the case may be.
We have case were some uncles would want to claim what his brother left at the expense of the diseased family.

1 Like

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by klifeomg(m): 6:37pm On Apr 26, 2017
Tycike:
Make sure you back date the death certificate of your parents. Cos any money credited to their account after their death will not be given to you, new central bank policy.I am have same issue.
I have a similar case, my dad worked in a federal establishment and they will keep on paying him for a few more months, so does that mean my Mom will have to forfeit all the subsequent money that will be paid? I want to process it for my Mom as she is still pained by my Dad's death and does not even want to bother herself with collecting the money and its huge.
Note: she is the next of kin
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:38pm On Apr 26, 2017
djeezy:
I'm a lawyer so I will help you out with a few tips. Firstly ensure you are the next of kin. Get a report ie death certificate because you will be needing it to get letter of administration. You will need a lawyer for one, so get one. After you are granted probate, you can approach your bank by way of application or they can give you a form to fill annexed to it the death certificate of the deceased and grant of probate. Already their record shows you are the next of kin, some mode identification and certification will suffice in that regard. Goodluck. cc: Fergusen
brother iam not the op & before i will call a lawyer,that means it is compulsory. I only adviced based on personal experience. Dont worry,pray i want to buy a property in a prime area & i will remember you sir,thanks & God Bless your way/profession
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Reference(m): 6:41pm On Apr 26, 2017
excelsiorfarm:
he/she needs letter of administration from high court,get a lawyer,death certificate & consent of all the children/siblings

I am not too sure this will work these days. Banks are becoming wary of court cases coming from 'extended families' and are more inclined to accept only written wills.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by greggng: 6:44pm On Apr 26, 2017
Let him get intouch with a lawyer that will kick start the administrative paper work. It takes longer time if your dad died without a will. Nobody here can help u. Only lawyers can help

1 Like

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by columbus007(m): 6:50pm On Apr 26, 2017
iamKahlan:

just forget about it
Op right now smiley

Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by tkconcept(m): 6:51pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hi, all you need is a letter of administration, this is usually a very simple process when you get a lawyer that is knowledgeable in probate practise . however you may encounter some complications due to several reasons. While i would love to educate more here so others can learn. while you can go about it without a lawyer, i will advise you get a lawyer. kindly send me a mail to stsokwa@gmail.com., and i may be able to advise appropriately. as i am not too active here. Cheers.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Spidermon: 6:56pm On Apr 26, 2017
If your parents had ATM cards use it .

Even if na 30 billion dey the account, dey comot inside everyday till the ATM expire.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by thunderbabs: 6:56pm On Apr 26, 2017
If d deceased left a will with hz lawyer, no stress.
If he had no will, na for u to go process Letter of Administration which u cannot do alone, jus get a lawyer to put u thru
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Alexrayz(m): 6:56pm On Apr 26, 2017
Moneyyy:

How dare you do that to a lady, you must be a woman beater

Go sit down there jor superman it u dat care for woman right pass u refuse to see her bad comment it this one u saw
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by omogidi234(m): 6:57pm On Apr 26, 2017
iamKahlan:

just forget about it

Really sorry for the stress. The truth is I have done a couple before and I am still doing Letters of Administration on behalf of clients and they are glad.

I have STATED in this great forum before that you take a lot of STRESS off you when you involve professionals in a task you can possibly handle yourself. If a lawyer who knows his onions handled​ that issue for you, even though the bank might play games but they would be careful and co-operate.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by aribisala0(m): 7:18pm On Apr 26, 2017
omogidi234:

Really sorry for the stress. The truth is I have done a couple before and I am still doing Letters of Administration on behalf of clients and they are glad.

I have STATED in this great forum before that you take a lot of STRESS off you when you involve professionals in a task you can possibly handle yourself. If a lawyer who knows his onions handled​ that issue for you, even though the bank might play games but they would be careful and co-operate.
This is a simple job he doesn't need a lawyer. All he needs is a good dentist
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by fergusen: 7:25pm On Apr 26, 2017
djeezy:
Thanks. Noted.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 26, 2017
kenonze:
Free things dey sweet una too much.

How did u care for ur parents in their dying moment?

That's a very mumu thing to say.you don't know he's story,if such thoughts are in your mind drink chilled water to drown it you don't have to appear stupid by fire by force all the time online.

NB: before anyone ask ,yes I say dumb thing almost all the time YES I need help.

NBB: kenonze if you ain't so pissed I for still like plug and play.you get me?
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Laredojohn(m): 7:30pm On Apr 26, 2017
[quote author=fergusen post=55942988]Hello nairalanders.
A friend needs information on steps and documents required for accessing the bank account (Nigerian bank account) of a dead relative (parents).
Any Idea how long the process takes ?
[/quote
)
letter of administration(its a legal authority to estate of a deceased who died without a will) ... go to the probate registry at the state high court, get the probate form, go to the banks they would stamp the balances, you then go back to them they will direct you on next step, note you will be forfeiting 10% of all funds to the Government... it should take you about 6month's or more to conclude, when it's given to you, you open an estate account where the funds will be transferred... )
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by fergusen: 7:32pm On Apr 26, 2017
columbus007:
Op right now smiley
grin grin
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Brushless: 7:33pm On Apr 26, 2017
excelsiorfarm:
he/she needs letter of administration from high court,get a lawyer,death certificate & consent of all the children/siblings
OK
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by fergusen: 7:35pm On Apr 26, 2017
Laredojohn:
Noted.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by sapele914(m): 7:44pm On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:
Hello nairalanders.
A friend needs information on steps and documents required for accessing the bank account (Nigerian bank account) of a dead relative (parents).
Any Idea how long the process takes ?
Order 55 Rule 1 of the High Court Civil Procedure Rules,go to the nearest High Court of competent jurisdiction and apply for a letter of administration with will or without will attached. Only thing required the death certificate from the national population commission to get the process going.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by xangerar: 7:48pm On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:

I doubt if I should say you must hire a lawyer, but then such interface is at the Probate Registry of the High Court and might not be one you could grapple with if you are not in tune with court registry practices. The process could last between six months to three years as it is, depending on factors which might include "office practice" and potential queries especially after publication or at the point of verfication of sureties.
Re: How Can He Access The Bank Account Of Dead Parents by Rotimi16(m): 7:54pm On Apr 26, 2017
To the bank, this is called an Estate Account. This are accounts opened by the customer (beneficiary's) to claim the amount in bank balance of the deceased where there is no will. You have to be a next of kin to claim this but most times the wife or children of the deceased claims this depending on the agreement reached by the family member. Note: (A minor cannot be an administrator to an Estate Account) Below are the the procedures:

1. The deceased family/relatives will make a round table meeting appointing the next of kin usually the wife of the deceased(if still alive) the child, brother close to the deceased and sometimes, it could be both depending on the agreement.

2. The Family will proceed to court to receive a "Letter of Administration" which will identify who or those to serve as administrator to the account as granted by the court with order. Note: All necessary payments and stamps will be purchased as usual.

3. The administrators will then proceed to the bank with the death certificate of the deceased, the "Letter of Administration" and all necessary account opening documentations.

4. A letter of Confirmation will be written to the court by the bank to confirm if this order as contained in the "Letter of Administration" is genuinely from the court, a court stamp and signature will be made on the letter to verify that.

5. An Estate Account is opened and administrator who are signatory(s) to account can the proceed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The 3 Online Business That Can Supplement Your Monthly Salary / Merchants Dump POS, Inactive Terminals Hit 131,201 / Femi Otedola Celebrates His Daughter Temi Otedola's 22nd Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.