Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,887 members, 7,798,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN (31872 Views)

Grow Your Funds With No Risk At All! Fixed Deposit Rates At Its Best!! / How to get a POS for ATM cash withdrawal and Deposit business in Nigeria / Aishah Ahmad: Profile Of The CBN Deputy Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Adesiji77: 6:02pm On Apr 27, 2017
Nairametrics| The Central Bank on Nigeria released a new set of guidelines to charges by banks and other financial institutions last week. The new charges are effective May 1 2017.

Here are the key things you need to know about these charges. (You can download the guidelines by following the link above, and then read through with the explanations below.)

Interest on deposits (Page 6)
Banks are mandated to pay an interest of not less than 30% of the monetary policy rate for any cash on savings deposits.
This translates to about 4.2% per annum considering that the MPR as at March 2017 was 14%
The MPR is the rate at which banks borrow money from the CBN.
For deposits held as collateral, the bank will pay a negotiable interest rate subject to a minimum of 30% of MPR.
This means, if you take a loan from a bank and use your cash deposits as collateral, the bank will pay you a minimum of 30% of MPR , which is 4.2%.

Interest rates and lending fees (Page 7,8 &9)
For local currency loans, the CBN says interest rates are negotiable but should reflect MPR.
Thus, when banks want to charge you interest rate on loans it will be MPR plus XX%.
Banks are also mandated to notify their customers 10 business days in advance whenever there is a rate change.
For mortgage refinancing, the CBN says rates are negotiable subject to a maximum of MPR plus 5%
This means those seeking mortgage loans can expect to pay at least 19%, based on the current MPR of 14%.
For defaulters, the CBN places a maximum of 1% flat per month of unpaid amount in addition to charging current rate of interest on outstanding debt.
Management fees charged on loans is limited to a maximum of 1% of the principal amount disbursed and should be a one-off charge.
Facility Enhancement fee will attract a negotiable but subject to a maximum of 1% of the additional charge discharged. For example, if you collected a loan of N100m and decided to add an extra loan of N10m from the same bank under the same facility, the bank will only charge a maximum one-off fee of 1% of the N10 million.
Management fee and Facility Enhancement fee cannot be charged same time.
Management fees are only charged for all shared requests and renewal of expired facilities.
Restructuring fee is also negotiable but subjected to a maximum of 0.5% of the outstanding amount being restructured. It is also one-off
For example, if you have a loan that you want to restructure, either for a longer tenor or lower interest rate or increased facility amount, you will have to pay a restructured fee.
Commitment fees are also negotiable subject to a maximum of 1% on the undisbursed amount of the facility. This is also one-off
For example, if you obtained a facility of N100m and have been disbursed N20m from bank, based on your disbursement terms, the bank can charge you 1% for the balance N80m.

Other fees (Page 10, 12, & 17)
Current account maintenance fee (CAMF) will be charged at a negotiable but subject to a maximum of N1 per mille when you initiate a transfer out of your account.
For forex transfers out of your accounts using swift, you will be charged o.5% COT plus any other associated off shore transfer charges. Thus, if you transfer $1,000 from your domiciliary accounts, they will charge you $5.
Withdrawals on domiciliary accounts attract a charge of 0.05% of transaction value or $10 whichever is lower. This means they can’t charge you more than $10 for withdrawals.
Bank drafts still remain the same at N300 and N500 from current and savings account respectively for account holders. It is N500 plus 0.1% of draft value for non-customers
Banks can also charge N100 flat as processing fee for purchase and sale of treasury bills for their customers.

Electronic Banking Charges (Page 18)
New hardware tokens will cost a maximum of N3,500
While software tokens are free, banks will charge an SMS rate of not more than N4/SMS.
If you lost your hardware token and want it recovered, you will be expected to pay a maximum of N3,500
However, you bear the full cost only in the event of physical damage, loss of token or replacement after expiration
Electronic fund transfers will now incur a charge of N50 if below N10 million. Transfers above N10 million will also cost N50 flat.
RTGS transfers will cost N550.
Banks are allowed to charge card maintenance fees at $20 per annum (or its equivalent) for foreign currency denominated debt/credit cards.
Naira debit/credit cars will cost N50 monthly in card maintenance fees.
Banks will also charge you N1,000 one-off charge for issuance of debit cards. If you lose the card and want it replaced it will also cost N1000 one-off.

ATM Withdrawals – Page 19
On-us withdrawals refers to cash withdrawals from an ATM in any of the branches of your bank
Not -on-us withdrawals refers to cash withdrawals using an ATM from your bank on an ATM of another bank
On-us withdrawals are free while not-on us withdrawals incir a charge of N65 after the third withdrawal within the same month
Banks are also allowed to continue to charge you not more than N4/SMS for transactions initiated by you. This is provided that you requested for this service.

http://nairametrics.com/breakdown-of-new-cbn-guide-to-charges-by-banks/

5 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by uboma(m): 7:19pm On Apr 27, 2017
Good news. I will wait till the new policy is implemented to request for a new debit card. It used to be NGN1500 before.

And I am also happy that I dont get to be charged the sum of NGN105 for electronic transfers from May 1st.

The NGN1 per mille is reasonable but the interest rates on loans (including mortgage) should be further reviewed to allow room for small businesses to assess the loans...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by rookidmart: 7:36pm On Apr 27, 2017
While software tokens are free, banks will charge an SMS rate of not more than N4/SMS.

Someone tell GTB this.
They charge ₦10/SMS.

Naira debit/credit card will cost N50 monthly in card maintenance fees.
Monthly or yearly?
Haba!
this is too much.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by davide470(m): 7:39pm On Apr 27, 2017
Token N3500 Is Inflation affecting price of token too?? and this CBN people want to do cashless banking!

Token should be N1,500 maximum grin

Btw, Adesiji77, MPR is 14%

9 Likes

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by davide470(m): 7:45pm On Apr 27, 2017
rookidmart:

Someone tell GTB this.
They charge ₦10/SMS.
They don't charge N10/SMS. Btw, go for electronic notifications

2 Likes

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by rookidmart: 8:28pm On Apr 27, 2017
davide470:
They don't charge N10/SMS.
Yes, they do. Try to calculate the number of messages received with the amount charged. Even the customer care will tell you they charge ₦10/SMS. They also charge ₦10 for USSD token, and ₦10 for checking your account balance.
Btw, go for electronic notifications
You mean email notifications? I already have that. It's not convenient if you don't have a data connection for whatever reason. There are places where you go that you don't take a "big phone" to. You can't check emails on a Nokia torch light.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by sunshineV(f): 9:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
If u read everything pls summarize

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by 0955eb027(m): 9:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
B for ...
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by FavoredGuy: 9:04pm On Apr 27, 2017
lol
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Kangol99(m): 9:05pm On Apr 27, 2017
cool
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by smartty68(m): 9:05pm On Apr 27, 2017
Naija and drama no be small matter... See common hardware token of #1,500 don jump to #3,500 undecided

Na mad people the rule this country

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Lusola15: 9:06pm On Apr 27, 2017
Explain my salary in relation to present economy

2 Likes

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by wiloy2k8(m): 9:07pm On Apr 27, 2017
good
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by jojothaiv(m): 9:07pm On Apr 27, 2017
Noted!
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by osemoses1234(m): 9:08pm On Apr 27, 2017
9ja don cast dis Nigeria don tire me I dey go back to my village Were b ur village ondo town I dey commt for nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by iluvdonjazzy: 9:08pm On Apr 27, 2017
THESE NA SMALL THING NA, BY THE TIME BABA GOD PICK MY CALL.

1 Like

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:09pm On Apr 27, 2017
uboma:
Good news. I will wait till the new policy is implemented to request for a new debit card. It used to be NGN1500 before.

And I am also happy that I dont get to be charged the sum of NGN105 for electronic transfers from May 1st.

The NGN1 per mille is reasonable but the interest rates on loans (including mortgage) should be further reviewed to allow room for small businesses to assess the loans...

I did not see anything about debit cards. ABI na my eyes

2 Likes

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by LionDeLeo: 9:09pm On Apr 27, 2017
You are talking to the public (layman) but you keep using your professional jargons, and you ended up not saying much.

If every one is to use his/her professional language in all discussions, I doubt if you will understand anything from some.

13 Likes

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by steve6: 9:10pm On Apr 27, 2017
OK !
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 27, 2017
Who Banks epp? angry angry
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:13pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ok. It is noted. I do hope the new policy would yield positive result.
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by smartty68(m): 9:13pm On Apr 27, 2017
Wiseandtrue:

I did not see anything about debit cards. ABI na my eyes
"Banks are allowed to charge card maintenance fees at $20 per annum (or its equivalent) for foreign currency denominated debt/credit cards.
Naira debit/credit cars will cost N50 monthly in card maintenance fees.
Banks will also charge you N1,000 one-off charge for issuance of debit cards. If you lose the card and want it replaced it will also cost N1000 one-off.
"

Now you get it?
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by 0955eb027(m): 9:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
uboma:

Who do you bank with?
Issuance of ATM cards have always being N1,000 naira.
Your bank has been extorting you al dis while.

5 Likes

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Olaide1295: 9:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
CBN is trying to regulate the banking industry. They should request data from these banks before making decisions. This clause here will make bank milk customers more.
"Electronic fund transfers will now incur a charge of N50 if below N10 million. Transfers above N10 million will also cost N50 flat."
Half the country now relies on electronic transfers especially GT banks *737#
This clause alone will hep banks and interswitch make more billions

4 Likes

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Olasco93: 9:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
Please between Visa card and Mastercard, which one is best for transactions?
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by 0955eb027(m): 9:15pm On Apr 27, 2017
LionDeLeo:
You are talking to the public (layman) but you keep using your professional jargons, and you ended up not saying much.

If every one is to use his/her professional language in all discussions, I doubt if you will understand anything from some.
What part do you not understand?

2 Likes

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Pray(m): 9:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
Keep money at home, wahala, keep money in bank, wahala... na wa o

1 Like

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Xtaceeey: 9:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
rookidmart:

Yes, they do.
Try to calculate the number of messages received with the amount charged.
Even the customer care will tell you they charge ₦10/SMS.
They also charge ₦10 for USSD token, and ₦10 for checking your account balance.

#10 how Na? Which customer information officer told u that? Why do ppl just say anything just to be heard? Pls it's #4 per SMS. Calculate am well.

Did I see MPR 16%? shocked Are u sure about that? @OP
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by smartty68(m): 9:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Calm down chairman cheesy

1 Like

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by smartty68(m): 9:18pm On Apr 27, 2017
Pray:
Keep money at home, wahala, keep money in bank, wahala... na wa o
I dey tell you o. You put am for saving box cockroache or tamite chop am... You bury am for hole rat chop am... You bury for farm you con die leave am... It is a wa I must say

1 Like

Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by Septre: 9:21pm On Apr 27, 2017
angry
Re: Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN by jericco1(m): 9:22pm On Apr 27, 2017
On-us?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Guts Ladipo Market, Lagos (video) / Lagos Government To Relocate Computer Village To ICT Park Katangowa / Dangote Sells Noodle Plants To Rival For N3.75bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.