Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,902 members, 7,806,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Your First Experience With An ATM Card? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Your First Experience With An ATM Card? (10372 Views)

Have You Ever Been Left Stranded By An ATM? !!!share Your Experience / Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card / How My Roommate Stole 120,000 Naira From My ATM Card And How I Caught Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by cheavroi(m): 11:01am On Jan 26, 2007
I think its time we talk about the first time one uses an ATM card.

Mine said "your financial institution is not available" and I didn't understand what it meant (simply that their server was down and transaction could not be done) until i went to the bank to confirm.

Please add yours for others to benefit from
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by 1forall: 5:25pm On Jan 26, 2007
WHUT? shocked
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by domwas2(m): 7:33pm On Jan 30, 2007
i insert d card the machine said 'i will over paid you and lets meet at ***hotel 8.30pm' then i screemed 'E.F.C.C.' then it said ''sorry erro!erro!!erro!!!''.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by BlackMamba(m): 12:28am On Feb 03, 2007
The only experience(s) I can remember using an ATM is "Sorry, you have insufficient funds to complete this transaction." grin grin grin
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by ZuluNation(m): 3:11am On Feb 03, 2007
I think it would be a great idea if Nigerians would start using ATM cards, that would eliminate folks carrying cash all the time. But knowing how smart Nigerians are I'm sure people would find a way to get free money from the machines
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by ikamefa(f): 4:50am On Feb 03, 2007
domwas2:

i insert d card the machine said 'i will over paid you and lets meet at ***hotel 8.30pm' then i screemed 'E.F.C.C.' then it said ''sorry erro!erro!!erro!!!''.

i had a similar experience , as soon as i inserted my debit card into the machine, the thing stood on its hind-legs and started doing the jig( like Ashlee Simpson) & singing : error! error! error! ani se error (in a high octave voice). i was soo scared i ran out of the bank grin

Disclaimer: if you believe the above you will surely believe anything cool grin
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by minute(f): 1:24am On Feb 08, 2007
hmmm . . . . . . my first experience using the ATM,lets see,okay i inserted the card the other way round,punched in my a/c no as my code,there were a few pple behind me cos it was close to the mall,had to ask for help at the end of the day,cos pple were cursing and swearn under thier breath.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by enohj2ee(m): 1:08pm On Apr 28, 2007
when there is poor network it will notify u that u cannot be connected to your bank, and because of poor software design too some times u will have transaction error ie transaction without cash payment
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by chiegemba(f): 6:56am On Apr 29, 2007
my first atm problem was when i had 2 use it 2 buy some gas cos i was runnin low on gas. i had just driven into a gas station tryin to use it. "but it read d error sign & rejected my card. I had 2 go 2 d cashier's window to ask 4 help. She looked @ me & gave me a funny look and told me "u could also pay with cash u know"!!!
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by jidody(m): 9:09am On Apr 29, 2007
Excellent. I could withdraw, make cash deposits, get my balance and even buy postage stamps using the ATM. One time I used a 3rd party ATM, no money came out of the machine but my account was debited. My Bank immediately corrected this and credited my account within hours. All this was in the US.

I'm still taking my time before I get an ATM card in Naija.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by awoof(m): 9:24am On Apr 29, 2007
Its was a Sunday morning in one fuckin' bank called ANZ here, I iserted the card i punched the wrong pin numbers three times the machine seized my card I had to wait till monday morning before one of the staff retrieved it for me
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by gidig(m): 11:42am On Apr 29, 2007
I used mine immediately I got it from Gt bank and it was at their Bode Thomas Branch. I was one of the first set of people to get and use it among my friends and it was at a time when it was okay to ask how to use it. I did and I have not had any problem since then. Except one time when it deducted 22k from my money when the transaction was not yet concluded. I kept wondering if it paid someone else after I had left the ATM point.

It took about three days of investigation to find out that the fault was from the branch I used and of course the money was returned into my account.

The new generation Zenith bank ATMs are quite different. Unlike most ATM that will take your card and keep it until the transaction is complete, their's will simply ask that you insert the card and remove for the ATM to read your card and on the basis of that, transaction continues. Very cool indeed but the first day really embarrassed me as i Thought the machine was not working.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by knotty(m): 2:04pm On Apr 29, 2007
what is ATM? African Textile Manufacturer or Atlantic Textile Mill?
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by fromuk(m): 7:43pm On Apr 29, 2007
Awoof

A bank staff cannever retrieve and give you ATM sized buy cash machine, this of another story dude.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by IBDat(m): 8:11pm On Apr 29, 2007
gidig:

The new generation Zenith bank ATMs are quite different. Unlike most ATM that will take your card and keep it until the transaction is complete, their's will simply ask that you insert the card and remove for the ATM to read your card and on the basis of that, transaction continues. Very cool indeed but the first day really embarrassed me as i Thought the machine was not working.

The flip side is that you could have walked away thinking it wasn't working n someone else completes your transaction. Haven't seen or tried it, but i would rather the return of my card after all transaction had been completed - b4 i walk away.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by awoof(m): 1:47am On Apr 30, 2007
fromuk:

Awoof

A bank staff cannever retrieve and give you ATM sized buy cash machine, this of another story dude.

Well so i thought too until i went inside the bank to tell a lady at the customer service dept. well fromuk check out my profile i think i have gone beyond the stage where i will cook up a story because i want to sound funny, that was exactly my experience. When it happened, i just felt there would be a solution to it. The next day i entered the bank and lo just as i was lodging my complaint a haggad looking, weather beaten white bitch came in and said the same thing, while i told the truth about what happened, the white lady did not want to look as "stupid" as the black man, she told a lie that she put the card and the machine just sized the card: "iroo ni" cheesy cheesy The bank lady just smiled and said wait i minute i will bring it, and pronto before 10 minutes she came back with the two cards. well i think what was responsible is that the ATM machine was built with the bulk of the engine inside the bank building unlike most of our own in Naija that are built standing alone especially those in the eateries. so i no dey tell lies o cheesy
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by enohj2ee(m): 9:25am On Apr 30, 2007
what is ATM
Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) is a technology designed for the high-speed transfer of voice, video, and data through public and private networks using cell relay technology. ATM is an International Telecommunication Union Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T) standard. Ongoing work on ATM standards is being done primarily by the ATM Forum, which was jointly founded by Cisco Systems, NET/ADAPTIVE, Northern Telecom, and Sprint in 1991.
A cell switching and multiplexing technology, ATM combines the benefits of circuit switching (constant transmission delay, guaranteed capacity) with those of packet switching (flexibility, efficiency for intermittent traffic). To achieve these benefits, ATM uses the following features:
• Fixed-size cells, permitting more efficient switching in hardware than is possible with variable-length packets
• Connection-oriented service, permitting routing of cells through the ATM network over virtual connections, sometimes called virtual circuits, using simple connection identifiers
• Asynchronous multiplexing, permitting efficient use of bandwidth and interleaving of data of varying priority and size
The combination of these features allows ATM to provide different categories of service for different data requirements and to establish a service contract at the time a connection is set up. This means that a virtual connection of a given service category can be guaranteed a certain bandwidth, as well as other traffic parameters, for the life of the connection.
ATM Basics
To understand how ATM can be used, it is important to have a knowledge of how ATM packages and transfers information. The following sections provide brief descriptions of the format of ATM information transfer and the mechanisms on which ATM networking is based.
From here we have the Automated Teller Machnie that you are talking about
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by lafile(m): 10:36am On Apr 30, 2007
The first time was ok, nothing special\

The first time using a Zenith Bank ATM was pure wahala. The thing kept ejecting my card after entering my PIN. Thot there was a problem, until i asked the old security man and he told me that it was normal. Felt embarassed. Thank God say the thing was inside one secluded cubicle.

Was at a GTB ATM recently in V/I. One girl (must have been 17 or 18) was there struggling with an ATM card. the thing just kept going in and coming out. after waiting for God knows how long, i decided to help out. After asking her what the problem was, she said the machine was faulty. So i decided to go thru the process with her. Lo and Behold, when the machine informed her that there was a charge of 100 (she was using an Intercontinental ATM) and asked if she wanted to continue, she kept saying No and expected the machine to pay her.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by simeony(m): 10:46am On Apr 30, 2007
mine, i typed the seria number on the ATM card as the pin number and the machine told me that my card has been captured and i should contact my bank,thouth i think d blame should be passed to my bank since they did not tell me that the pin is hidden inside the paper given to me
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by Elizabeth(f): 12:47pm On Apr 30, 2007
The first day was very bad,i don't know how & where to insert the card until i called on the old security man.He asked me if i want to withdraw or check my account, i said i want to check my account my account he told me what to do and he asked me again if i want to change my pin nos i said yes, he did the same thing and at the end of it all i became guru in using ATM card
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by moondust(m): 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2007
it was normal 4 me. I simply followed the instructions and all was well
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by sopenz(m): 2:34pm On Apr 30, 2007
atm automated teller machine so i was taught but i have never had the opportunity of using it because of location
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by Beline(f): 6:10pm On Apr 30, 2007
wow, this is another experience i will not forget, i inserted the card because people were around me and i did not want them to know that was my first time and equally do not want to take their time, i did not read the instruction well when i saw the amount i thought it was asking me on which note do i want my payment, so i press 500 waiting for it to ask me how much i want to withdraw behold the machine brought 500 out when what i actually needed was 30k i have to leave the spot to another ATM point to withdraw the balance
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by Hugoboi(m): 6:13pm On Apr 30, 2007

wow, this is another experience i will not forget, i inserted the card because people were around me and i did not want them to know that was my first time and equally do not want to take their time, i did not read the instruction well when i saw the amount i thought it was asking me on which note do i want my payment, so i press 500 waiting for it to ask me how much i want to withdraw behold the machine brought 500 out when what i actually needed was 30k i have to leave the spot to another ATM point to withdraw the balance

LOL grin grin grin
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by egoldman(m): 7:28pm On Apr 30, 2007
It was here in Mumbai, India , I slot in my card and waited for the machine to ask for the pin but it didn't ask for it . I kept inserting the card and yet could not get prompted for the pin, i went to the security man and asked him whats wrong , he took my card and this time he didnt slot it in , he rather swiped it and removed it again , then the machine asked for the pin .
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by akara(m): 8:01pm On Apr 30, 2007
I just followed the instructions and all went well.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by awoof(m): 2:36am On May 01, 2007
simeony:

mine, i typed the seria number on the ATM card as the pin number and the machine told me that my card has been captured and i should contact my bank,thouth i think d blame should be passed to my bank since they did not tell me that the pin is hidden inside the paper given to me

Yeah! that was exactly what caused my own problem. I did not use the card since they gave it to me until that day because in most cases if you get to the banking hall you may not stay more than ten minutes. i never opened the sealed paper containing the pin, infact i opened it as i was approaching the bank. i saw some numbers i though were the pin not knowing they were other control numbers, the real pin was elsewhere, behold before i saw the real pin i had entered it three times and the machine had "swallowed" my cardsmiley
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by netsai: 3:56pm On May 01, 2007
The first time i got to use an ATM,it rained that day n the ATM was electrocuting a little. So each time i pressed any button i would jump back for fear of being electrocuted,Til some guy had to help me out. How embarrasing embarassed
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by darqly(m): 4:38pm On May 01, 2007
@Netsai, quite true though it didn't happen to me,it happened to one of my customers. The funny thing is the machine is inside the banking hall,the atmosphere got abit humid and before you could say "Pin", it sent the poor lady dancing as she touched the keypad. grin
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by sluvy4tune(m): 5:57pm On May 01, 2007
hey bros dat is a nice one u know.my first time waz hell as well, i inserted d card but it turn me down on several occassion sayn ur financial institution is unvaillable after fews hours i went 2 sky bank oluobasnjo branch to ve a quick witdrawal i got there inserted my card it sank into their nasty machine which deliberately seize my card witout bringing it out. I made several attempt to get it by going to the bank but they said they could not fine my own card but na wa for sky bank oh.if no be sey i don change my pass word ayahoo boys 4 don collect all my lytle saving.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by One: 7:43pm On May 01, 2007
A few days ago the ATM near my house "swallowed" my debit card because I forgot to use the right pin number. The most annoying part was that I was not even allowed to retry. Normally there should be at least 2 chances to enter the right pin before eating up the dammed card. Something was different that day. It was around 10pm and I needed cash to get stuff from the local grocery store. I fumed for a while but reconsiderd since it was for my own safety that multiple trials and error pin number entries are not allowed.
Re: Your First Experience With An ATM Card? by topeorekoy(m): 7:33am On May 02, 2007
didnt have any problem with the ATM. followed the instruction and bam my cash came out and eversince, i have had a wonderful time with the ATM.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Official Exchange Rate To Hit N1,068/$ By 2025 – EIU / NCC Closes First Bank Branch Ibadan Over Illegal Internet Use / How To Manage A Startup Business Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.