Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,978 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? (100507 Views)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. / Obalende BRT Park: Bad Maintenance Culture Or Sheer Wickedness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:18am On Apr 29, 2017
gbosaa:

That's because you are lying about your brother and the chauffeur story.
And you know better?.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by juman(m): 7:19am On Apr 29, 2017
nigeria is a destroyed country.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by AreaFada2: 7:20am On Apr 29, 2017
SnowJay92:

Now, I'm not a big fan of traveling abroad, in fact I can only travel very legitimately and probably for education or training purposes. That being said, are you trying to tell me there are no bills to pay in Nigeria? Heck people pay for energy bills for darkness here, any average taxi driver pays about five different taxes every morning after having to deal with the high cost of substandard fuel, bad roads and the attendant maintenance implications.

Talk about homelessness, I want you to google about the recent happenings in a riverine Lagos community called otodo gbame, I don't wish to talk the thousands living in market and under bridges since time immemorial.

I would never encourage someone to do something I'm not willing to do, namely living illegally in an alien country, but you're just making it sound like it's roadblock over there.

How can someone be doing a very laborious job for 10hours a day for 6days a week and takes home a paltry sum at the end of one solid month, someone with an engineering degree, plus good grade, teachable, actually knowledgeable, and he's still considered fortunate o, because the guy next to him couldn't even find a "job" to suffer for his daily bread like him.

Running isn't the solution here, but please stop with your abroad is hell, that logic is flawed,
One diaspora guy explained it all in one post. He said those who have nothing to lose in 9ja, they can travel. Not those already settled into good jobs. I certainly was not in the poorer category in 9ja. I could have done all my degrees in 9ja paid for by family. Like my friends did. Or come for only post grad abroad if I knew better. It took much hardship to do it all. But we are not arresting those who want to travel anyhow. They are free to.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by MsSantaClaus(f): 7:24am On Apr 29, 2017
Livefreeordieha:
gadamn it..you are the best outta the lots ..you said all I could have...if you Don't live on credit you literally be living from hand to mouth or assist with some side black deals..it only becomes easy if u have a working partner and u split responsibilities/bills..like this u could have a supposed normal life..every con3 aside nja is organized u give back almost all u earn from them in a month..so if I tell u I earn 2600euros a month u ignorantly /greedily won't ask how much is my tax,rent,phone bills,light,water,gabbage,internet/tv box etc..and not to mention that house rent for a month here is wat u lots pay a year back home..
Your Right, I'm in DMV, DC to be exact and our monthly rent is $1,500 , a lot of ppl will thinnk its a lie in Nigeria, but its one of the cheapest for a safe gentrified tiny apartment in DC. So yes, monthly rent here is what they pay yearly in Nigeria. Remember, if you don't have papers you can get a job that's pays you enough to pay such rent, so you may have to live in a dangerous plaCe where you'll be dodging bullets and police raids constantly!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Lexusgs430: 7:26am On Apr 29, 2017
nextstep:

The returns on using 1M for business in Nigeria compounded after 5 years can pay for annual vacations abroad. Why would 1M remain dormant earning peanuts in interest? As an example, import 1M goods, make 1.5M turnover. Now import 1.5M, sell for 2.25M. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You think it's that easy to buy, sell and earn profit?
What's the current interest rate on savings in accounts?

7 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by odimbannamdi(m): 7:27am On Apr 29, 2017
Handsomecutepie:
I live in UK and that's d only place I ll be able to talk about. I ll discourage, discourage and discourage you even my enemy from coming to UK. I will even beg you to stay back in Nigeria cos if you come to UK at this point in time, you are doomed. Pls, don't let anyone or situation push you to go abroad-UK without papers. What you r going through in Nigeria today ll definitely be a child play compare to what your life ll look like in UK without papers.

I swear down, if you see the numbers of Nigerians in deportation centres in UK, you ll pity these people. Some Nigerians have been in deportation centres for almost two years without committing a single crime. Their only crime is being in UK illegally.

You can't go to the bank, school, work and renting a room might even give you away to immigration. If you decide to put up with a friend or family members, you r done cos they ll only tolerate you for few days before they begin to show you their true colour. Trust me, that's when you ll now realise that you don't know what you have until you lose it.

You ll only enjoy these western world with your papers in your hands. Anything outside this papers is a suicide

Regarding the emboldened, i am wondering, what penalty will be meted out to them eventually? Will they be jailed in UK or deported back to Nigeria

Cc: Salford, Areafada2, bebe2
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Lexusgs430: 7:29am On Apr 29, 2017
Mrbigman1:

So if I have a fiancé Wen I was working, immediately i loose my job i'd just send her packing cos I lost hope right?

U dnt just quote for quoting sake. Everything has a beginning

Haba Oga, I never said so o. But one of the best advice my great grandfather gave me was, the only thing I can keep if I lost my job, was family. All sidechicks and girlfriends, must be packed up.....

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Grajez1617(m): 7:29am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:

Jesu shocked

U just proved my point.

Next time he comes tell him to look for a charity/foundation and help out for a couple of hours, or go to a hospital and pay for one persons bill dat is being held for none payment, or go to a govt primary school and buy uniforms for ten kids with the worst uniforms, should I continue??

Don't make it seem like self centredness runs in ur blood ooo, it's not nice undecided
. That's a good one
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:31am On Apr 29, 2017
joeluv:
Living in the US illegally is like a death sentence in my view. You would just be existing here not living your life. I don't know how all these Mexicans cope, anyway they have a lot of family here so guess it won't be that bad for them. As for Nigerians, living illegally is a no no. Life is too short to live like that. You can't drive, can't get any meaningful job, can't even visit your country. Is that one life? What's the essence of life if you can't do all these. People that live illegally I can't even imagine the trauma they are passing through. It is not for the faint hearted.

This is the worst part and they don't know

3 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Lexusgs430: 7:32am On Apr 29, 2017
nextstep:

It's a wash... If you don't pay tax, then you're likely earning a bit less, since it's under the table. And if you've got living arrangements with your employer, then you're likely earning even less. You might go up to $13 or even $15/hour, but that's on the high end for house help, and you'd be lucky to pick up a lot of hours at that rate. Yes there are some who are extremely lucky, but the estimates I gave are not too far off.

If you don't have a sponsor you have to repay, then view it as replenishing the savings you had to sacrifice for the trip. The point is, unless you're a professional (which likely means you had to get a 4-year degree abroad - more debt there), it's very difficult to "make it" with service labour.

When I consider the people who stay here and become well-to-do with the same investment they would have used to travel, it's puzzling that those with the means to travel don't invest at home. Afterall, gathering almost 1M means you're not dirt poor.

Those with the means to go abroad complain about how hard life is in Naija - as they type on their expensive phone, drop 500naira on beer, rock expensive clothing, and sit around waiting for an opportunity to drop in their laps. If they spent 1/2 the time actually using their energy and money wisely, they would have made it.

Honestly, for every 1 that goes to wash plate or become mayguard abroad, I can show you 1 very successful business person who became wealthy here in Naija: property developers, importers, traders, farmers, logistics, snack sellers, etc.

How many mansions have been built by been-tos? How many by those living here? How many over there can pay cash for their children's birth or college education? Or pay rent for 2 years? Or pay cash for a car?

You seem to be referring to 9ja before this change mantra.......
Things are really tough in Nigeria now. When last did you visit Nigeria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by 4dor: 7:33am On Apr 29, 2017
lovelygurl:

Maybe you should ask them how they are doing. If they don't have to learn the language

They have to learn the language, in fact free German classes is part of the employment package. I know they must learn the language even though the business language for almost all tech companies in Germany is English.

Learning a new language is not an impossible task.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Lexusgs430: 7:33am On Apr 29, 2017
maasoap:

We were talking figuratively not literally. Sarcasm, right?

I heard sarcasm is the best form of expression?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by RosaConsidine: 7:33am On Apr 29, 2017
I'm not living abroad but I kind of understand why those that are there feel it is necessary to fill those intending to come over in on everything before they take the leap. Sure, a bit of their motivation is selfish (because they know if you come over and start facing difficulties, it's most likely them you'll run to for bailouts and they have their own troubles to deal with already) but then they have gone through the experience and know what it is like first hand so they wouldn't want anyone also to just blindly hop on a plane, thinking that all they have to do is show up to enjoy a better life. Even people that live in cities here in Nigeria do the same thing for those living in rural areas. They know life is challenging and things can get so bad that you would be forced to do things you normally wouldn't just to survive. They also know first hand that some Nigerians would struggle to fit into foreign societies coming from ours due to language barrier and cultural dissonance. They don't want to have to hold your hands to guide you through learning to live in a new society because they have lives and things to do and also they don't want to see you come and fail and go back home disappointed. So they tell you everything they think you should know so that if you still insist on moving, your mind would be prepared for the realities you would meet.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Mskrisx(f): 7:35am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:
This is getting annoying , how come each time a person is asking for directions on how to travel abroad most pple in diaspora will be discouraging the person.

If it's dat terrible why are u still there?

You enjoy the benefits of living in an organised society, knowing fully well that naija is a difficult place to live.

Are u scared of the competition the new immigrants will bring?

Nigerians in diaspora , what exactly are u afraid off??

U never hear say for we obodo Niger nobody want make anybody be like am.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by donJ2(m): 7:35am On Apr 29, 2017
Pidgin2:

The average Nigerian does not sell akamu

I suppose she meant d Down trodden

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by sisisioge: 7:38am On Apr 29, 2017
bellong:

I have forgotten what I wrote sef.. sad angry wink

grin grin responded now.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Ugosample(m): 7:40am On Apr 29, 2017
WellEndowed:

After helping themselves they sleep with each other's spouse grin
That is part of helping themselves na tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by FunkyMetahuman: 7:43am On Apr 29, 2017
An0nimus:
It's disheartening seeing threads like these - Nigerians talking about how shithole Nigeria is. Even some Nigerians in Nigeria are saying the same. Please, you people should leave the country with this toxic mindset. Make we know how many of us remain for here.

Rubbish.

abi o
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 29, 2017
Basalt:

And the discouraging RAP continues.
Always bringing out ugly scenarios. Have you given a case of someone making it there or Do you mean all the people that come there always die on the long run.
Stop discouraging people from coming abroad, Nigeria ain't any better.
they won't talk about that, it's the ugly incidents they'll be spilling out, their are lot of successful Nigerians abroad it's just a matter of hard work, Grace and favour.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Seanjay(m): 7:47am On Apr 29, 2017
4dor:

I'm sorry my guy but na you mess up, don't place hope in any human being.

abi have learned my mistakes at least now that can never happen to me again.. if i had been doing my thing de go dat time i would have been in the Uk for the past 3 good years now wey i don even travel go Dubai and Ghana go disvirgin my passport that time but who would think my mom sister wont help her sisters son and i thought it was extra advantage for me since shes been there for d past 30yrs and already a citizen and even had two daughter there and they are all citizens ... But such is life and i think may be it not yet Gods time for me... and one thing i believe is what will be will actually be... Que Sera Sera

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by RosaConsidine: 7:48am On Apr 29, 2017
Jman06:
But do something worse!

I hate it when some people pretend like naija is such a rosy place when the reality on ground says otherwise.

Nigeria might not be such a rosy place but trust me, it is much easier to survive here. We complain about how bad the Nigerian system is not knowing it favors a lot of us - A LOT. We don't pay as much in taxes as lots of the countries people are running to. You may not earn much here but it's easier to survive on the little you earn. I have had cause to compare the costs of accommodation and transportation in Nigeria and a few developed and even fellow African countries and even now that things are extremely bad here, we still have it cheaper. Cost of healthcare? Education? All these things are much cheaper here. Sure, the quality may not be up to what you would get in, say, the US or UK but trust me the same treatment for malaria that we take for granted here and the federal universities we keep complaining about are waaaay cheaper than trying to get services of an equivalent quality abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:51am On Apr 29, 2017
An0nimus:
It's disheartening seeing threads like these - Nigerians talking about how shithole Nigeria is. Even some Nigerians in Nigeria are saying the same. Please, you people should leave the country with this toxic mindset. Make we know how many of us remain for here.

Rubbish.

That's the bitter truth, Nigeria is a shithole country, visit the rural areas you'll understand better, a country that the president was flown abroad to receive medical treatment

4 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by RosaConsidine: 7:52am On Apr 29, 2017
bjhaid:
they won't talk about that, it's the ugly incidents they'll be spilling out, their are lot of successful Nigerians abroad it's just a matter of hard work, Grace and favour.

Some times ehn, it's necessary to tell people worst case scenario so they can make informed decisions. It's not about discouraging anyone - it's more about letting them know exactly how bad it can get because they already know how good it can get. It's basically just balancing it up.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Jman06(m): 7:57am On Apr 29, 2017
RosaConsidine:

Nigeria might not be such a rosy place but trust me, it is much easier to survive here. We complain about how bad the Nigerian system is not knowing it favors a lot of us - A LOT. We don't pay as much in taxes as lots of the countries people are running to. You may not earn much here but it's easier to survive on the little you earn. I have had cause to compare the costs of accommodation and transportation in Nigeria and a few developed and even fellow African countries and even now that things are extremely bad here, we still have it cheaper. Cost of healthcare? Education? All these things are much cheaper here. Sure, the quality may not be up to what you would get in, say, the US or UK but trust me the same treatment for malaria that we take for granted here and the federal universities we keep complaining about are waaaay cheaper than trying to get services of an equivalent quality abroad.
I prefer to pay tax and high costs provided i get quality life.

7 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by cosade(m): 7:58am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:
This is getting annoying , how come each time a person is asking for directions on how to travel abroad most pple in diaspora will be discouraging the person.

If it's dat terrible why are u still there?

You enjoy the benefits of living in an organised society, knowing fully well that naija is a difficult place to live.

Are u scared of the competition the new immigrants will bring?

Nigerians in diaspora , what exactly are u afraid off??

Hmmnn, my take. Anyone asking for direction to travel abroad is neither ready nor ripe for such trip. I get amused when I read question like "Can I study in xyz country and pay my fees while hustling?". Someone wrote about Tanzania recently and was amused seeing Nigerians asking how they can go to hustle there, one of the poorest countries in the world.

At this Internet age, there are lots of information out that any serious potential traveller can easily get. There are so many countries that are willing to take immigrants but must have the financial means to do so. No country want economic refugees. There are no jobs every where, so these countries are more interested in immigrants that could create jobs.

By the grace of God, I have been opportuned to have travelled widely and from my experience I won't encourage those who wants to illegally stay in a foreign country. My first statement, usually is "do you know it is a criminal offense to fall sick as an illegal migrant?". In as much as it is not a criminal offence it is just to drive home the point that it would be hard to get medical attention when critically required.

Anyone that wants to migrate should do it with the confines of the law. Maybe 10 years ago, the risk could be worth taking but now, it's a "No, no".

I get amused when I read questions like this one below:
specialmati:
i want to travel to germany for masters pls what are my chance of making it there.my pastor said i should use that money and stabliz my business,my friend in uk said it not worth it.pls any advice.i wish to marry this year before going

You're yet to be told what you wanted to hear. Your pastor and U.K friend have advised you yet you're here, still asking the same question.

Chances of making it in Europe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSOR_7oeC4

9 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Femsmart(m): 7:59am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:

Bro bad experience dey everywhere,

Abroad own there is hope atleast. Naija can be hopeless oo

I have seen pple born , raised and died in abject porverty.

Chai

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 29, 2017
RosaConsidine:

Some times ehn, it's necessary to tell people worst case scenario so they can make informed decisions. It's not about discouraging anyone - it's more about letting them know exactly how bad it can get because they already know how good it can get. It's basically just balancing it up.
You are right, my mom as visited multiple times, and she said we need to learn a skill here seriously, before going to further education in us, I don't think those living comfortably there will discourage anyone, it's those that are struggling that'll start telling the ugly stories.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 29, 2017
AreaFada2:

One diaspora guy explained it all in one post. He said thosr who have nothing to lose in 9ja, they can travel. Not those already settled into good jobs. I certainly was not in the poorer category in 9ja. I could have done all my degrees in 9ja paid for by family. Llike my friends did. Or come for days only post grad abroad if I knew better. It took much hardship to do it all. But we are not arresting those who want to travel anyhow. They are free to.

Of course, everyone to their choices,

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by jomoh: 8:00am On Apr 29, 2017
lovelygurl:
sadOp that's not true. You just don't understand. I will never encourage someone above 25 to come to Germany. I mean forget it, you just WON'T cope and will have to settle for less. The language is the big deal here. People think it's very easy to learn a language, they don't even plan and most think Europe/America is a place where the streets are made of gold. Sometimes you have to be EXTREMELY patient, sometimes you will be forced to give up on your dreams etc.

The truth is the younger the better. You don't want to come here and do some jobs you don't want to, just because you can't speak the language and therefore have no other choice

This is what intending migrants expect from people abroad not the usual cliche that people throw around by discouraging people from coming over there.

I expect them to make intending migrant to understand the pros and cons of coming over there then leave the decision to the intending imigrant to make. Instead what you here is "it is not easy, if you can eat and survive you should stay there". Nobody believes its easy anywhere but with the its not easy, its not easy. How many times has anybody left there because its not easy. How many of them has come back home empty handed.

They should stop the cliche of its not easy, its not easy. Which one is better: Hard work over there with something to show for it or easy work here with nothing to show for it. Nobody says its easy.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Livefreeordieha(m): 8:00am On Apr 29, 2017
MsSantaClaus:
Your Right, I'm in DMV, DC to be exact and our monthly rent is $1,500 , a lot of ppl will thinnk its a lie in Nigeria, but its one of the cheapest for a safe gentrified tiny apartment in DC. So yes, monthly rent here is what they pay yearly in Nigeria. Remember, if you don't have papers you can get a job that's pays you enough to pay such rent, so you may have to live in a dangerous plaCe where you'll be dodging bullets and police raids constantly!it's crazy to say the least..I live in Dublin Ireland.and I live in a 2bedroom apartments my rent is 1200euros monthly excluding utilities..and make no mistake that is the cheapest you can get..my neighbors and friends pay upto 1700 for same.and u earn 2000/2200...I know some people will ask why are you still there..I will not banter words or dissuade anyone..if you desire to come please do..I will even guide you but I will not be responsible for you..most importantly u should know the only thing that is free here is NOTHING.but overall u get value for ALL u are paying for..everything works.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply)

Which Country Can I Relocate To With 6million / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.