Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? (100501 Views)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. / Obalende BRT Park: Bad Maintenance Culture Or Sheer Wickedness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by efismikoko(m): 5:52pm On May 03, 2017
Ugosample:

You see, based on your comments, I believe your mind set is, bejng successful and living a good life equals amassing a lot of money, or being a millionaire.

Sorry to say, but that is not correct
being successful is measured in more ways than one.

Living a structured life to some is the definition of success

Having plenty money to oppress others to some is the definition of success

Having the good things of life at little cost to others is the definition of success

Amongst others

So for Nigerians who have "oppressive tendencies" will NEVER love to live abroad, that I know for sure. The type of people who like to get away with things because they think they have status....

We know their type, and they are here in this thread

in summary sha, Nigeria is not HELL, things are just more difficult here, that's all

Well there are million of us in this country without oppressive tendency and will still not want to move out of this country

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by efismikoko(m): 6:00pm On May 03, 2017
Originalsly:
Lol...funny but true!...the very people that would be shouting at and slapping anyone below their status at home....see them at the airport jumping to instructions from the ehmmm....low life Immigration officers! "Sir get back behind that line and wait until you are called"...such ehmmm.... humiliation and that's only the introduction. True... they really can't live abroad!

Lol this is very true and it gets to me when I see people like this
But this is not enough reason in fact there can't be any reason for people abroad calling Nigeria shit hole, hell etc

Nigeria is difficult to live in if you don't have money so does other countries in the world

I still repeat if you no Nigeria is hard for you please leave no one deserve to suffer the earth belongs to us

But please don't start saying evil about Nigeria because you are out there are people having it well in this same Nigeria

I love Nigeria I did not leave when I had nothing and so I can't leave now I'm doing Aiit grin

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 5:01am On May 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

He's confusing standard of living with wealth/savings.

Some villagers in Nigeria might even have a better standard of living than city dwellers in Nigeria..

Even the American that doesn't have $500 savings enjoys the following:

24/7 electricity. I'm not talking about a fluke 2 weeks straight. I'm talking decades of 24/7 electricity.
Clean and mostly safe to drink pipe borne water.
Central sewage system.
Affordable, prompt and luxurious public transporation system.
Emergency services via 911. A seasoned and well-trained team of professional police, ambulance, and fire department will arrive in minutes.
Safe and efficient roads that are lighted and can be travelled safely 24/7.
Access to decent health care. There are laws that patients have to be stabilized at ANY hospital even if they do not have health insurance.
Reasonable due process from police officers and court system.
Bribing is in itself a separate felonious charge.

So before those guys lash out wildly at diasporans they should please use gumption.

Just need to correct an impression here, my cousin stays in New York and she buys water from Walmart to drink(for her family), all my relatives do this as they don't trust the public water supply system

And she doesn't joke with light, it must be put off most times, to put on heating nko? Not all the time lol

In terms of health insurance many people complained of how expensive Obama care was to maintain, how many can even maintain it

My cousin and her husband are nurses yet money is so difficult for her to come by. If her mother is visiting her she pays for her own flight ticket

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 5:41am On May 04, 2017
Pidgin2:

Just need to correct an impression here, my cousin stays in New York and she buys water from Walmart to drink(for her family), all my relatives do this as they don't trust the public water supply system

And she doesn't joke with light, it must be put off most times, to put on heating nko? Not all the time lol

In terms of health insurance many people complained of how expensive Obama care was to maintain, how many can even maintain it

My cousin and her husband are nurses yet money is so difficult for her to come by. If her mother is visiting her she pays for her own flight ticket

I'm not sure of the exact impression that you're trying to correct.

Someone buying bottled water could be a choice. Some have to like those recently in Flint. I buy Costco water. I certainly drink my tap water also in a pinch. What percentage of Nigerians have ANY running water?

Yeah, even the most rural areas in the US have 24/7 electricity.

No one in my circle of friends and associates complain of health insurance. Not all Americans are on Obamacare. I have employer health insurance and so do many Americans.

How many Nigerians have health insurance?

I know nurses that pulls in over $100k per year counting overtime, shift differential, etc So a couple making $200k should easily afford an $800 ticket BUT it's a process in the USA. One must crawl before walking and I'm not sure about the level of employment that they have.

How many nurses are owed salary in Nigeria?

My post was to counter the ideology that most Americans don't have $500 in saving. Simply that.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:07am On May 04, 2017
Pidgin2:

My cousin this my cousin that...are you sure this your cousin works at all? if she can't afford a flight of less than 2000 dollars, the question I would like to ask is...how many of yous in Nigeria is she looking after and sending all her money back home to?

Oya come back and tell me your cousin and her husband looks after no one but themselves to prove your point cool

3 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:24am On May 04, 2017
WellEndowed:

My cousin this my cousin that...are you sure this your cousin works at all? if she can't afford a flight of less than 2000 dollars, the question I would like to ask is...how many of yous in Nigeria is she looking after and sending all her money back home to?

Oya come back and tell me your cousin and her husband looks after no one but themselves to prove your point cool

Hahaha you are truly funny, someone that expected me to even pay for some things when I went to visit. FYI she works as a nurse and so does her husband. It was an eye opener and a true testament to the fact that "All that glitters is not gold"

To the best of my knowledge she is not taking care of anyone, her siblings are comfortable, her husband's siblings are all abroad(his mother and three siblings) although her own siblings are not happy that she hasn't been able to help any one of them in any way.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:32am On May 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I'm not sure of the exact impression that you're trying to correct.

Someone buying bottled water could be a choice. Some have to like those recently in Flint. I buy Costco water. I certainly drink my tap water also in a pinch. What percentage of Nigerians have ANY running water?

Yeah, even the most rural areas in the US have 24/7 electricity.

No one in my circle of friends and associates complain of health insurance. Not all Americans are on Obamacare. I have employer health insurance and so do many Americans.

How many Nigerians have health insurance?

I know nurses that pulls in over $100k per year counting overtime, shift differential, etc So a couple making $200k should easily afford an $800 ticket BUT it's a process in the USA. One must crawl before walking and I'm not sure about the level of employment that they have.

How many nurses are owed salary in Nigeria?

My post was to counter the ideology that most Americans don't have $500 in saving. Simply that.

If Nigerians don't have health insurance then it is mainly caused by ignorance, do you know that airtel was sponsoring people's health insurance some time ago just for reloading their recharge cards?

Health insurance here cost N30K/year for some single and family plans(some plans are even less), most HMO offer affordable plans also government owned NHIS is available for some workers

Like I said, they don't drink their tap water rather they buy water from Walmart

If the family can afford it tell me why they refuse to pay for her mother's flight ticket?

Take care
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by mctowel01: 9:09am On May 04, 2017
Pidgin2:

If Nigerians don't have health insurance then it is mainly caused by ignorance, do you know that airtel was sponsoring people's health insurance some time ago just for reloading their recharge cards?

Health insurance here cost N30K/year for some single and family plans(some plans are even less), most HMO offer affordable plans also government owned NHIS is available for some workers

Like I said, they don't drink their tap water rather they buy water from Walmart

If the family can afford it tell me why they refuse to pay for her mother's flight ticket?

Take care
Please don't be talking trash, stop making an argument where there is none. I m getting irritated by the nonsense comparison. I was on NHIS as a student during my degree and I clearly remember when I had a serious heart problem and guess what, the nurses in charge were so rudely talking to me with total disregard, sending me round 3 floors They asked me to go two floors to look for someone with a vague description to sign a document, while she was busy discussing with someone. I came back, then she shouted at me to stop disturbing her, that I should go and look for where she said. All this while, my chest was giving pains. Even after locating the place, the doctor wasnt around, she just told me to go look for another nurse, without any concern just because she was discussing with someone. I.m sure many people here have also experienced something similar.
At that point, I called my folks at home to take me to our private hospital with insurance cover. Since then, I ve ensured I avoided government hospitals in any way I can, unless its not critical at the moment. Thankfully, my family is under insurance from work. How many Nigerians can afford insurance in hospitals with quality healthcare? Is there even a base for comparison? Truth is that I dont use public hospitals for the same reasons, but I decided to give it a try because it was examination period and I didn't want to go too far from school. Reality is that many Nigerians are one critical illness away from death or total bankruptcy which could have easily been treated. I see people die like chickens everyday due to poor health service. You know this, but you wont be concerned because you are not a victim, a common trait in many Nigerians.
You are just saying anything to make yourself feel like you ve made a point without thinking things through. Are you clearly stating that airtel offered health insurance to everyone who loaded N200 credit? No raffle draws involved? Have you checked what the insurance covered?
Please, I understand some people could be patriotic and all, but blind patriotism is just stupid and ridiculous, and to a certain degree, as a result of a self-centered personality.

10 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 9:21am On May 04, 2017
Pidgin2:

Take care

If health insurance is indeed plentiful then why are all the save a soul threads rampant on Nairaland? They can't all be ignorant and I don't think HI is that easily available to the common man. I'll certainly do some investigation to garner education on this.

As far as flight ticket,who knows. It could be a family fiduciary decision. Or a ruse to send a message to vacationing cousins who have an entitlement attitude wink

4 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 10:01am On May 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

If health insurance is indeed plentiful then why are all the save a soul threads rampant on Nairaland? They can't all be ignorant and I don't think HI is that easily available to the common man. I'll certainly do some investigation to garner education on this.

As far as flight ticket,who knows. It could be a family fiduciary decision. Or a ruse to send a message to vacationing cousins who have an entitlement attitude wink

So you don't know that many folks are not aware of even our government owned health insurance? I will post a sample link to show you how ignorant most people are, even young people don't read talkless of older ones

www.nairaland.com/3704943/start-family-salary-nigeria/6#55193401

I hope you read through so that you can see how ignorant most people are

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 10:09am On May 04, 2017
Pidgin2:

So you don't know that many folks are not aware of even our government owned health insurance? I will post a sample link to show you how ignorant most people are, even young people don't read talkless of older ones

I don't live in Nigeria, when I did I had employer paid insurance.

What I need to do research on is the N200 telco insurance that was alleged.

How many Nigerians have this government owned HI?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 10:12am On May 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I don't live in Nigeria, when I did I had employer paid insurance.

What I need to do research on is the N200 telco insurance that was alleged.

How many Nigerians have this government owned HI?

http://www.africa.airtel.com/wps/wcm/connect/africarevamp/nigeria/home/personal/voiceandtext/vas/airtel-insurance/terms-and-conditions
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 10:20am On May 04, 2017
Pidgin2:

http://www.africa.airtel.com/wps/wcm/connect/africarevamp/nigeria/home/personal/voiceandtext/vas/airtel-insurance/terms-and-conditions

Anyone that reads that crap and compares it to an American HMO is truly a kid.

I didn't even have to finish reading it to see that it's a gimmick angry

Any Nairalander that has experience using the scheme for health not death should please chime in.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Ugosample(m): 11:45am On May 04, 2017
efismikoko:

Well there are million of us in this country without oppressive tendency and will still not want to move out of this country

That's also fine too.
Anyone who wants to stay here is fine.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Ugosample(m): 12:48pm On May 04, 2017
mctowel01:

Please don't be talking trash, stop making an argument where there is none. I m getting irritated by the nonsense comparison. I was on NHIS as a student during my degree and I clearly remember when I had a serious heart problem and guess what, the nurses in charge were so rudely talking to me with total disregard, sending me round 3 floors They asked me to go two floors to look for someone with a vague description to sign a document, while she was busy discussing with someone. I came back, then she shouted at me to stop disturbing her, that I should go and look for where she said. All this while, my chest was giving pains. Even after locating the place, the doctor wasnt around, she just told me to go look for another nurse, without any concern just because she was discussing with someone. I.m sure many people here have also experienced something similar.
At that point, I called my folks at home to take me to our private hospital with insurance cover. Since then, I ve ensured I avoided government hospitals in any way I can, unless its not critical at the moment. Thankfully, my family is under insurance from work. How many Nigerians can afford insurance in hospitals with quality healthcare? Is there even a base for comparison? Truth is that I dont use public hospitals for the same reasons, but I decided to give it a try because it was examination period and I didn't want to go too far from school. Reality is that many Nigerians are one critical illness away from death or total bankruptcy which could have easily been treated. I see people die like chickens everyday due to poor health service. You know this, but you wont be concerned because you are not a victim, a common trait in many Nigerians.
You are just saying anything to make yourself feel like you ve made a point without thinking things through. Are you clearly stating that airtel offered health insurance to everyone who loaded N200 credit? No raffle draws involved? Have you checked what the insurance covered?
Please, I understand some people could be patriotic and all, but blind patriotism is just stupid and ridiculous, and to a certain degree, as a result of a self-centered personality.

Don't mind her.....

Defending the indefensible

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Beautyaddy: 1:40pm On May 04, 2017
Lol!...That was my same thoughts.

Pidgin2 story about her cousin does not add up. It either one of them is not telling it as it really is.

EgunMogaji:

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Anyone that reads that crap and compares it to an American HMO is truly a kid.

I didn't even have to finish reading it to see that it's a gimmick angry

Any Nairalander that has experience using the scheme for health not death should please chime in.

So which telecom provider in US is doing the same or better than this in terms of health insurance?

We have close to 50 privately owned HMOs here but how will you know when all you do is criticize
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 04, 2017
Pidgin2:

So which telecom provider in US is doing the same or better than this in terms of health insurance?

We have close to 50 privately owned HMOs here but how will you know when all you do is criticize

You've helped proved my point.

The USA has very good HMOs, thus the citizenry won't be flim flamed by an obvious ploy from m shyster telecoms.

As far as criticism, that's your opinion. Many others have slammed your lame attempts to put forth a convincing argument.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 04, 2017
Beautyaddy:
Lol!...That was my same thoughts.

Pidgin2 story about her cousin does not add up. It either one of them is not telling it as it really is.

Abi o. Cousin that's living coded so he doesn't get bled to death by those with give me attitude.

My wife's job is to take care of our daughter and even with that I flew to Nigeria to bring her mum as a surprise visit for her. She stayed six months and we all flew back to Nigeria together just to extend the visit.

This lame attempt by her and her ilk can be seen for what it is by seasoned folks.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Ugosample(m): 8:40pm On May 05, 2017
Originalsly:
Lol...funny but true!...the very people that would be shouting at and slapping anyone below their status at home....see them at the airport jumping to instructions from the ehmmm....low life Immigration officers! "Sir get back behind that line and wait until you are called"...such ehmmm.... humiliation and that's only the introduction. True... they really can't live abroad!

That's TRUE
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ApexTitan(m): 9:29pm On May 05, 2017
Pidgin2:

Since when was it mandated that telecom operators provide health insurance for the general public?

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 1:25am On May 06, 2017
Pidgin2:

Take care

I started drinking bottled water from a "young age". Each time I drank tap water I would be so sick. My parents used to buy me Eva water and that was the only clear fluid I could handle.

Fast forward to many years later. I still don't drink tap water regardless of the country I find myself in. I buy bottled water. Last year someone told me that I was wasting money buying bottled water that whatever content is in the bottle is same as in pure water sachet. I decided to trial pure water sachet, experience is the best teacher. I had never spent so much time in the toilet with azz in the air trying to figure out if liquid poo will jump/run out of my bum when I fart. The episodes of diarrhoea I experienced was no fun.

My very good friend in the Uni had a preference for bottled water in Zimbabwe long before she left Zimbabwe. Her son and husband both drink tap water but she drinks bottled water(infact we bonded over bottled water grin). It is matter of individual preference

Mehnnnn the points you raise sometimes have left me asking myself if YOU ARE SURE YOU HAVE TRULY VISITED A DEVELOPED COUNTRY/LEFT NIGERIA AT ALL?

7 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 1:40am On May 06, 2017
Pidgin2:

Hahaha you are truly funny, someone that expected me to even pay for some things when I went to visit. FYI she works as a nurse and so does her husband. It was an eye opener and a true testament to the fact that "All that glitters is not gold"

To the best of my knowledge she is not taking care of anyone, her siblings are comfortable, her husband's siblings are all abroad(his mother and three siblings) although her own siblings are not happy that she hasn't been able to help any one of them in any way.

Nne ji ri ya nwayo. Small small dey lie. Di'ye di'ye. cool

Where were you when they were looking for someone to write "things fall apart"? I swear you can tell a good story

4 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by RedCapChief(m): 3:37am On May 06, 2017
CFCman:

Church services can be boring to the average Nigerian lol. One of my aunties kept ranting about how boring the White church she attends is. She would stream a Winners Chapel service whenever she comes back from church grin

This has been true in my experience. I've attended two churches in Ontario and they have been so boring. The word of God is not lacking but the whole atmosphere feels so cold. The flat praise and worship makes me want to run back to Naija and dance "osemudiamen" at sunday service.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 4:20am On May 06, 2017
RedCapChief:

This has been true in my experience. I've attended two churches in Ontario and they have been so boring. The word of God is not lacking but the whole atmosphere feels so cold. The flat praise and worship makes me want to run back to Naija and dance "osemudiamen" at sunday service.

California or Canada?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by igboboy3(m): 5:00am On May 06, 2017
bjhaid:
The only reasonable reply so far.

You only accept what seems to back up this your untrue tale.

Nobody gave your bros/cousin 'personal driver'. Even the CEO of Uber, a multi-billion dollar company, still drives himself or takes a cab.

All these half-truths give false hope to unsuspecting people and headache to the discerning

4 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by igboboy3(m): 5:57am On May 06, 2017
ayodele234:
The honest truth about America is that 64% of Americans can't even come up with $400 in an emergency. I am talking about first class citizens. Even an annual salary of $100,000 these days is nothing in America. I always laugh when most Nigerians living in America boast that they earn more than a banker in Nigeria doing menial jobs. But the banker here is already in his second building while most of them will still be paying rent for at least 15yrs before they will even be able to raise money for a 20% down payment on a condo house. Poverty is defined by where you live and not by converting currencies. If there is any place Nigerians are finding it tough it is in the US.

How many bankers in Nigeria below Director-level have two buildings? Bank branch managers will jump at legal status in US/UK. Those who buy/build big houses only do so because they can get loans at special rates.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by cosade(m): 11:36am On May 06, 2017
bebe2:

Bro bad experience dey everywhere,

Abroad own there is hope atleast. Naija can be hopeless oo

I have seen pple born , raised and died in abject porverty.

There were hopes for these ones, until they reached "abroad" and realised that it was not always greener "abroad". Most wished they never travelled "abroad".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMef3Xt0IHk
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by cosade(m): 11:37am On May 06, 2017
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by marylandcakes: 2:22pm On May 06, 2017

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by mctowel01: 3:17pm On May 06, 2017
cosade:

There were hopes for these ones, until they reached "abroad" and realised that it was not always greener "abroad". Most wished they never travelled "abroad".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMef3Xt0IHk

Wow... watched it to the end. it was deep

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Thecassanova: 3:30pm On May 06, 2017
cosade:
Part II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw-aaFPLOdw
Na wa o . Edo ?

Sadly each tribe in Nigeria get what they contribute in crime to the international community. So sad we have to be like this. cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Which Country Can I Relocate To With 6million / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.