Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,378 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Why I Didn't Embrace Ooni- Oba Akiolu. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why I Didn't Embrace Ooni- Oba Akiolu. (540 Views)

Oba Akiolu Arrives For Fashola's Photographic Foundation Ceremony In Style / Yoruba Man Blasts Oba Akiolu For Snubbing Ooni Via Video Message / "Oba Akiolu Didn't Snub Ooni Of Ife" - White Cap Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Didn't Embrace Ooni- Oba Akiolu. by Babayoutoomuch(f): 9:03am On Apr 28, 2017
Why I didn’t embrace Ooni —Oba Akiolu

The Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Aremu Akiolu, has defended his controversial reaction to the affectionate greeting of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, at a public event, as seen in a viral video last week.

In the 25-second recording, the Ooni of Ife is seen arriving at the venue of the event, which has the Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu II, in attendance, seated among an unidentified monarch.

The Ooni walks over to embrace the monarchs, but as soon as he approaches the Oba of Lagos, Oba Akiolu looks away, only acknowledging the Ooni with the wave of a hand.

The visibly embarrassed monarch then quietly returns to his seat.

The video clip was met with outrage on social media and among prominent Nigerians, with many describing Oba Akiolu’s action as disdainful and unbecoming of a Yoruba monarch.

However, when The PUNCH reached out to the Oba of Lagos by telephone, the monarch sounded undisturbed by the controversy surrounding the awkward greeting.

Oba Akiolu, explaining that he was constrained by tradition from receiving and returning the Ooni’s greeting, said the widespread belief that he snubbed the Ooni was “their own thinking.”

He added, “Anybody can imagine anything. There was nothing. The custom or tradition is like that in Lagos. We don’t hold each other; we don’t hug.

Asked if the wide age gap between both traditional rulers had anything to do with the way he acknowledged the Ooni, the Oba of Lagos said, “Which age difference? A monarch is a monarch. There is no age difference.”

http://punchng.com/we-dont-hug-each-other-by-lagos-tradition-oba-akiolu/

Re: Why I Didn't Embrace Ooni- Oba Akiolu. by frenzydilz(m): 9:04am On Apr 28, 2017
Foolishness knows no ranks or titles. It affects all
Re: Why I Didn't Embrace Ooni- Oba Akiolu. by lilmaydee(m): 9:06am On Apr 28, 2017
Over familiarity breeds contempt. Ooni doesn't know this yet. Until he realizes that he is the King of all Kings, things like this won't cease to exist.
Re: Why I Didn't Embrace Ooni- Oba Akiolu. by amuijiji: 9:26am On Apr 28, 2017
Oba ndi Nzuzu
Re: Why I Didn't Embrace Ooni- Oba Akiolu. by Ologogoro: 9:50am On Apr 28, 2017
Lolz, Lagos is the advance name of Lagoon, Eko Is the real Name.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Is NOT Yoruba Land, It Was Founded By Oba Of Benin's Son - Oba Akiolu / . / Olori Peeking At Ooni's Phone At An Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.